CREAMY HAM AND ASPARAGUS SOUP
Like most country cooks, I often bake a large ham so that I can use leftovers in tasty dishes like this. Fresh asparagus is wonderful in this soup's creamy broth.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan with enough water to cover; cook until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside. , In a large heavy saucepan, saute carrot in butter for 3-5 minutes; add onions and saute 2 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in flour; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth, ham, mushrooms and reserved asparagus. Reduce heat; add cream. Heat through but do not boil. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 285 calories, Fat 17g fat (10g saturated fat), Cholesterol 72mg cholesterol, Sodium 881mg sodium, Carbohydrate 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 14g protein.
CREAM OF FRESH ASPARAGUS SOUP II
- In a large saucepan, combine asparagus, chopped onion, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until asparagus is tender, about 12 minutes. Process the mixture in a blender to puree the vegetables. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Whisk in the remaining chicken broth, and increase the heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture boils. Stir in the asparagus puree and the milk.
- Put the sour cream in a small bowl, and stir in a ladleful of the hot soup. Add the sour cream mixture and the lemon juice to the soup. Stir while heating the soup to serving temperature, but don't allow it to boil. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 195.6 calories, Carbohydrate 14.1 g, Cholesterol 35.1 mg, Fat 13.4 g, Fiber 2.8 g, Protein 6.6 g, SaturatedFat 8.2 g, Sodium 1100.8 mg, Sugar 6.3 g
WINNING CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
I developed this recipe myself by substituting asparagus for broccoli in cream of broccoli soup. It's a big favorite at our house! -Westelle Griswa, Monroe, Connecticut
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving liquid. , In a another saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the milk, bouillon, reserved cooking liquid and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in asparagus; heat through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 232 calories, Fat 15g fat (9g saturated fat), Cholesterol 48mg cholesterol, Sodium 795mg sodium, Carbohydrate 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 8g protein.
EASY CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
- In a large (4-quart) saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and thyme; cook until shallots are soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour; cook until incorporated, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Add asparagus and 6 cups water; season generously with salt. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover, and simmer, until asparagus is bright green and just tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Working in small batches, purÃ©e soup in a blender until very smooth. To prevent splattering, fill blender only halfway, and allow heat to escape: Remove cap from hole in lid, and cover lid with a dish towel. (To freeze, see note.) If serving right away, stir in cream and lemon juice.
CHEF JOHN'S CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
For me, asparagus is one of those rare vegetables that shines brightest when enjoyed in soup form. Here's an ultra-easy and gorgeously colored cream of asparagus soup recipe.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add minced onion and salt; cook and stir until onion is soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and water into pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Place asparagus pieces in simmering broth. Cook, stirring occasionally until asparagus is just tender and still bright green, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- For a finer texture, strain soup through mesh strainer. Return strained soup to pot and place on stove.
- Turn heat to low. Season with cayenne pepper, black pepper, and nutmeg. Adjust salt to taste. Whisk 1/2 cup cream into soup.
- Place 1/4 cup cream, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Whisk until frothy and slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle a spoonful of Parmigiano-Reggiano-lemon cream on top of each serving and swirl to form a random design.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of lemon zest and cayenne pepper, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 187.1 calories, Carbohydrate 10.5 g, Cholesterol 51.5 mg, Fat 15.4 g, Fiber 3.9 g, Protein 4.8 g, SaturatedFat 9.6 g, Sodium 59.8 mg, Sugar 4.5 g
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP I
- Melt butter or margarine in a heavy cooking pot. Add onions and chopped celery; saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour, mixing well. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Do not burn, or let it go lumpy. Add water, chicken broth, and chicken soup base; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil. Add diced potatoes and chopped asparagus. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Puree soup in a food processor or blender in batches. Return to pot.
- Stir in half and half cream, soy sauce, and black and white pepper. Bring soup just to boil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 211.1 calories, Carbohydrate 18.3 g, Cholesterol 14.1 mg, Fat 12.5 g, Fiber 3.2 g, Protein 8 g, SaturatedFat 3.9 g, Sodium 2018.7 mg, Sugar 4.2 g
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; season with 2 teaspoons salt. Add asparagus tips and blanch until bright green and just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath with a slotted spoon; reserve for topping. Add trimmings, 1/2 shallot and 1/2 clove garlic to the same pot and return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer the asparagus stock 20 to 25 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- In another saucepan, heat olive oil over medium. Add sliced shallot and chopped garlic and cook until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in potato and enough of the asparagus stock to cover the vegetables (about 1 cup), and simmer until the potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Strain remaining asparagus stock directly into saucepan with the potatoes. Add remaining asparagus and cook until tender and bright green, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Puree in a blender until completely smooth; remove 1 cup and reserve. Slowly stir in cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper; thin with reserved liquid as needed. Serve hot or chilled, topped with asparagus tips and a drizzle of oil.
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP (CRèME D'ASPERGES)
This classic French soup is made with just six ingredients: butter, asparagus, onion, chicken stock, cream, and lemon juice.
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Cut tips from 12 asparagus 1 1/2 inches from top and halve tips lengthwise if thick. Reserve for garnish.
- Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pan. Stir in crème fraîche, then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips.
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP (WITHOUT CREAM)
- Cut the tips off of 12 asparagus (1 1/2") and set aside.
- Discard cut bottom ends of asparagus. Cut asparagus stalks into 1" pieces.
- Cook onion and asparagus in oil in large fry pan over medium heat, stirring often till softened (I cover the pan).
- Pour this into large sauce pan.
- Add broth and simmer on low medium about 15-20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender (3-4 minutes).
- and drain.
- Puree soup in a blender (or hand blender) until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with asparagus tips.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 155.4, Fat 10.5, SaturatedFat 1.6, Sodium 644.6, Carbohydrate 9.3, Fiber 3.5, Sugar 3.6, Protein 8
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
"I associate asparagus with spring-time...and its beautiful green color with new life," shares Lynn Vogel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. "That's why this delightful soup is the perfect started to our family's Easter dinner each year."
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a large saucepan, saute the leeks in butter. Add broth, asparagus, potatoes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender., In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth; return to the pan. Add milk; cook over low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 178 calories, Fat 8g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 17mg cholesterol, Sodium 748mg sodium, Carbohydrate 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS AND MUSHROOM SOUP
I was on a work trip in Oklahoma City several years ago and had a delicious bowl of cream of asparagus soup at a cute cafe, and I spent a year trying to recreate my own version of this heart-warming soup. With the collaboration of my family's ideas, I have come up with a version of soup that I serve for our formal holiday meals as a starter course.
Provided by Kristy
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble bacon when cool; set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings.
- Melt butter with drippings in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook and stir celery and onion in the saucepan until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk flour into the mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add potato and chopped asparagus stalks, reserving the asparagus tips for later. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot.
- Cook and stir mushrooms and asparagus tips in the same skillet used for bacon until mushrooms give up their liquid, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper, if needed.
- Stir mushrooms, asparagus tips, and half-and-half cream to pureed soup. Cook until thoroughly heated.
- Garnish soup with crumbled bacon.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 155 calories, Carbohydrate 12.7 g, Cholesterol 27.4 mg, Fat 10 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 5.2 g, SaturatedFat 5.8 g, Sodium 144.9 mg, Sugar 2.6 g
CHEESY CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
- Prepare asparagus according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly., Pour half the milk mixture into a blender; add half the asparagus. Cover and process until very smooth; return soup to the saucepan. Repeat with the remaining milk mixture and asparagus. Stir in the cheese, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). If desired, top with roasted asparagus tips.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 261 calories, Fat 19g fat (12g saturated fat), Cholesterol 59mg cholesterol, Sodium 852mg sodium, Carbohydrate 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 12g protein.
ASPARAGUS SOUP WITH LEMON CREME FRAICHE
A fresh and easy asparagus soup, pureed until it's smooth, is a definite winner. Serve it warm or chilled depending on the weather.-Fern Vitense, Tipton, Iowa
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add asparagus and potatoes; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in broth, lemon zest and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes., Cool slightly. Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Combine garnish ingredients; serve with soup.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 155 calories, Fat 8g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 13mg cholesterol, Sodium 873mg sodium, Carbohydrate 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
GLUTEN-FREE CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
- Put asparagus and stock into a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until asparagus is very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes, Set aside 2 cups of the broth; keep warm.
- Puree asparagus and remaining broth in blender; return to pot and set aside.
- (I puree in batches) Melt butter in a medium heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour and cook stirring constantly with a wire whisk for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in reserved warm broth.
- Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to pot with asparagus puree.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often.
- Slowly add half-n-half.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 497.3, Fat 40.3, SaturatedFat 24.1, Cholesterol 113, Sodium 627.4, Carbohydrate 23, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 7, Protein 15.3
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add asparagus and saute another 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes, until asparagus is very tender. *Carefully transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan, stir in sour cream and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to serving bowls. Dust with paprika and serve.
- *When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fill a medium bowl with salted ice water. Working in 2 batches, add the asparagus to the boiling water and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus to the bowl of ice water. Drain. Reserve 7 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Thinly slice 18 of the asparagus tips on the diagonal and reserve for a garnishing the soup. Chop the remaining asparagus spears into small pieces.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 12 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in the reserved asparagus cooking liquid and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Tie the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the soup. Lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped asparagus and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Remove and discard the herb bundle. Working in batches, transfer the asparagus mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Using a sieve over a large bowl, strain the asparagus soup. Return the puree to the pot and reheat over medium heat.
- Whisk the heavy cream, vermouth, and salt into the soup and season with pepper. Divide among warm soup bowls, sprinkle each soup with the reserved asparagus tips, and serve immediately.
More about "cream of asparagus soup recipes"
HOW TO MAKE EASY CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP | KITCHN
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP | CANADIAN LIVING
See details »
EASY CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE ...
5/5 (22)Servings 4Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 40 mins See details »
CREAMY ASPARAGUS SOUP RECIPE - LOVE AND LEMONS
4.5/5 (8)Category SoupCuisine AmericanTotal Time 30 mins
- Make the mint & pine nut topping by chopping together the pine nuts, mint, red pepper flakes, and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the scallions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until soft. Add the potatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and water and simmer for 12 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Add the asparagus to the pot of potatoes and continue simmering for 5 more minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the peas and then transfer the soup to a blender. Add the mustard, lemon juice, and lemon zest and blend until creamy. Add the basil and blend until combined. Season to taste.
- Portion the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the mint & pine nut topping, drizzles of olive oil, and a few sprigs of fresh mint, if desired. Serve with crusty bread.
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (1)Servings 2
- Combine asparagus and chicken stock in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Melt butter in a small Dutch oven over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Stir in chicken stock and asparagus. Cook over medium heat until hot. Ladle into individual soup bowls; serve warm or chilled.
BEST CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP - HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS SOUP
Servings 4-6Total Time 35 minsCategory Soup
- Remove the asparagus to a cutting board and pour the water from the pot into a large measuring cup; add more water if needed to equal 2 cups.
- Set the pot aside. When the asparagus is cool enough to handle, trim off the tips and halve lengthwise; toss with a pinch of salt.
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP | CULINARY HILL
5/5 (3)Total Time 30 minsCategory SoupCalories 155 per serving
- In a small skillet or saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to boil. Add asparagus tips, cover, and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain well dry on paper towels.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add butter and melt. Stir in chopped asparagus spears and leeks and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are completely tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in peas and Parmesan.
CREAMY ASPARAGUS SOUP - THE SEASONED MOM
5/5 (1)Total Time 30 minsCategory Lunch or DinnerCalories 86 per serving
- In a heavy pot, combine asparagus, chicken broth, onion and potato. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender but still green, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the potato chunks.
- Using an immersion or regular blender, puree soup. If using a regular blender, be sure to pause and remove the lid a few times to allow the steam to escape (so that it doesn’t explode). Return pureed soup to the pot, stir in the cream, and warm over low heat (do not boil). Season with salt and pepper to taste; garnish with herbs or other optional toppings.
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP RECIPE | VITAMIX
5/5 (58)Cholesterol 20 mgCalories 130Saturated Fat 4 g See details »
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP - CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
Calories 100Total Fat 7gServing size 1/2 Cup (120mL) Condensed SoupTrans Fat 0g See details »
ASPARAGUS SOUP RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
ASPARAGUS CREAM SOUP | CANADIAN LIVING
See details »
60-minutes-or-less time-to-make course main-ingredient cuisine preparation occasion north-american low-protein bisques-cream-soups lunch soups-stews eggs-dairy potatoes poultry vegetables american easy european diabetic dinner-party holiday-event kid-friendly english grains chicken stove-top dietary low-sodium low-calorie comfort-food oamc-freezer-make-ahead low-carb inexpensive low-in-something meat pasta-rice-and-grains asparagus taste-mood equipment number-of-servings
You'll also love