GREEK LENTIL SOUP RECIPE (FAKES SOUPA)
A traditional, creamy, healthy and delicious Greek lentil soup recipe. Prepare your lentil soup the traditional Greek way, with some fresh herbs, extra virgin olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar and top with crumbled feta cheese!
Provided by Eli K. Giannopoulos
Number Of Ingredients 9
- To prepare this Greek lentil soup recipe, start by washing the lentils thoroughly and let them soak in water for about 2 hours. If you like, you can skip this process by adding them into a deep pan along with some water and place over high heat. As soon as they come to the boil, drain them into a colander.
- Place a pan over medium-low heat and add the lentils, the water (warmed), the chopped onions, the chopped garlic and the bay leaves. Simmer with the lid on for about 25 minutes.
- Pour in the olive oil and the red wine vinegar, and season well with salt and pepper. If you prefer your Greek lentil soup to be 'reddened', then add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Boil the lentil soup for another 15 minutes, until it thickens and check out if they are done; keep in my mind that different kinds of lentils cook at different times.
- Serve this delicious Greek lentil soup with a splash of red wine vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil. Top with some crumbled feta cheese and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 bowl, Calories 348kcal, Sugar 2g, Sodium 301.8mg, Fat 14.7g, SaturatedFat 2.1g, UnsaturatedFat 11.9g, TransFat 0g, Carbohydrate 41.4g, Fiber 7g, Protein 15.6g, Cholesterol 0mg
GREEK LENTIL SOUP
Delicious and hearty Greek lentil soup with fresh, simple ingredients.
Provided by by Jenny | The Greek Foodie
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Rinse the lentils and drain well.
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and the garlic. Sauté for 1-2 min.
- Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir and add the lentils, smashed tomatoes (you can also smash the tomatoes with your spoon after you add them in) and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil for 1-2 min.
- Lower the heat to the minimum. Cover the pot and simmer for 60-90 minutes. Cooking time depends on the kind of lentils you are using. I am using green lentils that require longer cooking. Check lentils often until they have the desired texture. Adjust liquids too, you might need to add a little water or stock to achieve your desired soup consistency).
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Serve lentils in bowls with a slight sprinkle of red hot chili pepper flakes, a 1 tbsp olive, a tbs of red wine vinegar (optional) and warm crusty bread on the side.
Nutrition Facts : Carbohydrate 43 g, Protein 16 g, Fat 4 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 481 mg, Fiber 19 g, Sugar 6 g, Calories 263 kcal, ServingSize 1 serving
FAKES (GREEK LENTIL SOUP RECIPE)
Traditional Greek lentil soup with vegetables and a tomato based broth.
Provided by Mia Kouppa
Categories Light meal Main Course Soup
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Pick over the lentils and remove any shrivelled pieces and small stones.
- Cover the lentils with warm water for 3 - 4 hours. Change water every hour or so. Drain.
- Add lentils to a pot and cover with an inch of water. Bring water and lentils to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes and then drain lentils and discard the water they were boiled in. Rinse lentils.
- While the lentils are boiling, prepare your vegetables by finely dicing onion, carrot and celery, thinly slicing the garlic and grating your potato if you're adding it.
- In a large pot (you can use the same pot you just boiled the lentils in - but dry it first) combine the olive oil and chopped onion. Cook onion over medium heat until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaves to pot with onions. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add the lentils, water (6 cups or enough to cover the lentils by 1 inch), tomato sauce, and the grated potato(or rice if you are using either).
- Bring to boil and then reduce to medium heat. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper 15 minutes into the cooking process. Total cooking times may vary depending upon the age of the lentils, and whether or not you soaked them, and for how long. Your fakes are done when they are soft to the bite. For those who want, you can add a splash (1 teaspoon or so) of red wine vinegar to each individual portion
GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES)
Fakes is a Greek lentil soup that is hearty, delicious and very economical. This is a simple dish to make and keeps well in the freezer. Adding rice to the soup makes it go a long way and is a perfect example of how just a few inexpensive ingredients come together to make a meal that feeds a crowd.
Provided by Dimitra Khan
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place the lentils in a pot and cover with lots of water. Bring to a boil and drain the water from the lentils.
- Cook the onion and carrots in the olive oil over medium heat until softened. About 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lentils, bay leaves, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oregano. Pour enough water to cover the lentils by at least an inch. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- You may add more water to the pot if needed and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Freezer Instructions: At this point, the soup is ready to be served. You may also allow it to cool completely then transfer to freezer-safe containers. The soup will keep fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To cook the soup with rice, add the rice to the pot along with 2 cups of water and some salt. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cook until the rice is tender. About 15 minutes. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the soup in bowls drizzled with olive oil and some vinegar along with some toasted bread. Enjoy!
GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES)
Fakes (pronounced 'Fah-kehs') is a staple in the Greek kitchen, and an especially filling meal. It is traditionally served with a drizzle of olive oil and lots of vinegar. Though the vinegar is of course optional, try it. It lifts the lentils and adds another dimension of flavor!
Provided by Diana Moutsopoulos
Categories Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes Soup Recipes Beans and Peas Lentil Soup Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Place lentils in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring water to a boil and cook for 10 minutes; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and carrot; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in lentils, 1 quart water, oregano, rosemary, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have softened, 30 to 40 minutes. Add additional water if the soup becomes too thick. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and red wine vinegar to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 357.4 calories, Carbohydrate 40.3 g, Fat 15.5 g, Fiber 18.7 g, Protein 15.5 g, SaturatedFat 2.2 g, Sodium 56.9 mg, Sugar 3.7 g
EV'S LENTIL SOUP (GREEK - FAKESS)
In honour of Mirjam. This soup is called Fakess (pronounced 'fahKESS') in Greek. It is very good. This belongs to that category of Greek cooking called 'Ladera' which, literally translated, means 'made of oil'. Olive oil is not just a fat, it is a key ingredient and flavour booster and is totally necessary. When my oldest son was turning 4 and I asked him what he wanted for his birthday dinner, this is what he ordered. I've given directions for both conventional cooking and crockpot - which I tried today. The pearl barley is not traditional, but we really like it. I think it's the aftermath of a Campbell's Beef with Vegetables and Barley fixation I had in the a long time ago.
Provided by evelynathens
Yield 10-12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large pot, cover lentils with boiling water and allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain lentils of this 'first boiling' (greeks think that this process makes the lentils easier to digest - I prefer it).
- Put lentils back into pot.
- Add bulgar or barley (if using), onions, garlic, carrots, tomato paste, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Pour 2 ½ quarts of boiling water over lentils, bring to a boil.
- When mixture boils, decrease temperature to leave the lentils cooking at a simmer and cook, covered, for 1 ½ hours.
- Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar and simmer ½ an hour longer.
- If the lentils are still too firm to the bite, allow to cook until they are tender and soup has thickened (soup will continue to thicken as it cools).
- If the soup is too thick, you can thin with a little hot water.
- Traditionally, we eat this soup with lots of Kalamata olives, feta cheese and crusty bread.
- I serve half the soup on one day and freeze the other half (it freezes beautifully) to serve on another day when I'm too busy to cook.
- Crockpot Version: Put all the ingredients except for olive oil and balsamic vinegar into your crockpot.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar and cook a further 2 hours.
- Ev's notes: You can enrich this already delicious soup by making a couple of variations. Add 1/2 lb of minced bacon, but cut back the olive oil to a couple of tablespoonfuls; or add 1 lb of sliced sausage, like Kielbasa. Again, cut back on the oil.
- New note: (added Dec. 27, 2004) I have taken to adding 1/2 cup bulgur wheat to this soup when I add all the other ingredients; it makes the soup more nutritionally complete if totally vegetarian, and really good and hearty; I strongly urge you try this version.
- Freezer Note: This makes quite a lot of soup - definitely enough for 2 meals (plus a little extra for the super-hungry) for my family of 5. I have taken to freezing half the batch to provide me with a quick, nutritious dinner further on down the line when time is short and you don't want to resort to ordering inches Just defrost in microwave, reheat well and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 336.8, Fat 16.8, SaturatedFat 2.3, Sodium 526.7, Carbohydrate 34.8, Fiber 15.3, Sugar 4.8, Protein 12.6
FAKES (TRADITIONAL GREEK LENTIL SOUP)
This is my mum's way for fakes. Its a very common soup, perfect for the cold days, tasty and very healthy! It can be made without any tomato but then oregano must be added. I always make it red (with tomato).
Provided by katia
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Boil one glass of water and add the lentils. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then drain the lentils. That way the soup is lighter!
- Put in the pot enough warm water and add the lentils. Put the onion, the bay leaves, the garlic and the tomato paste. Boil in high heat with the lid on for 10 minutes. Add the oil, salt and pepper to taste. Keep boiling for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 368, Fat 17.5, SaturatedFat 2.4, Sodium 36.7, Carbohydrate 38.2, Fiber 17.9, Sugar 2.8, Protein 15.2
More about "greek lentil soup fakes recipes"
GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) - HUNGRY HAPPENS
GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) | AMOTHERWORLD
GREEK LENTIL SOUP OR 'FAKES SOUPA' – ACAPERINTHEKITCHEN
CLASSIC GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) - THE WHOLE SCOOP BLOG
EASY GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES SOUPA) - VEGGIES SAVE THE DAY
GREEK LENTIL SOUP - "FAKES" - SOUVLAKI FOR THE SOUL
GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) - LENTIL SOUP RECIPES
FAKES - ANCIENT GREEK LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - REAL GREEK …
EASY VEGAN GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) - VEGGIES DON'T BITE
FAKES - LEFKADA LENTIL SOUP | MEDITERRANEAN DIET, HEALTHY GREEK
RECIPE FOR FAKES SOUPA – GREEK STYLE LENTIL SOUP
FAKES - GREEK LENTIL SOUP | LISA'S KITCHEN | VEGETARIAN RECIPES ...
FAKES (GREEK LENTIL SOUP) - ELENI SALTAS
LENTIL SOUP RECIPE | FAKES GREECE | THE GREEK FOOD BLOG
GREEK LENTIL SOUP-FAKES - OLIVE TOMATO
WORLD'S BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
TRADITIONAL LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) - VICKI'S GREEK RECIPES
RECIPE FAKES - LENTIL SOUP - GREEK STYLE - GREEKER THAN THE GREEKS
FAKES SOUPA (GREEK LENTIL SOUP) - KOPIASTE..TO GREEK HOSPITALITY
GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) | LISA'S KITCHEN | VEGETARIAN RECIPES ...
GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) - FOODBYMARIA RECIPES
FAKES SOUPA (GREEK LENTIL SOUP) • CURIOUS CUISINIERE
FAKES : GREEK LENTIL SOUP RECIPE
GREEK LENTIL SOUP 'FAKES' — THE REAL GREEK
FAKES : GREEK LENTIL SOUP RECIPE
FAKES SOUPA HEALTHY VEGETARIAN GREEK LENTIL SOUP RECIPE
GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) - A SPOON FULL OF GOODNESS
TRADITIONAL GREEK LENTIL SOUP: FAKES - LITTLE COOKING TIPS
FAKES SOUPA (GREEK LENTIL SOUP) - VEGAN COCOTTE
EASY GREEK BROWN LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) - THE HUNGRY BITES
LENTIL SOUP (FAKES) - THE OLIVE AND THE SEA GREEK FOOD BLOG
GREEK LENTIL SOUP | AKIS PETRETZIKIS
FAKES - GREEK LENTIL SOUP RECIPE (VEGAN) - FROM KALYMNOS WITH LOVE
GREEK LENTIL SOUP (FAKES SOUPA) - BOWL OF DELICIOUS
FAKES: GREEK LENTIL SOUP FOR CHILLY EVENINGS - GREECE IS
FAKES GREEK LENTIL SOUP, RECIPE FOR THE POPULAR SOUP!
GREEK LENTIL SOUP INSTANT POT - THERESCIPES.INFO
GREEK LENTIL SOUP WITH FETA - FAKES - EATING EUROPEAN
GREEK LENTIL SOUP RECIPE - GREEK FAKES - GREEK RED LENTIL SOUP
FAKéS SOUPA - GREEK LENTIL SOUP - RECIPES - DRESSED TO THE WINES
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love