SHRIMP GUMBO WITH ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE
Most cooks agree that gumbos must have the vegetable trinity of chopped bell pepper, onion and celery, and that they should be highly seasoned. Some gumbos do contain sausage, shrimp and chicken, but there are humbler ones that are made with only salt pork, onions and greens. Finally, there is the filé powder camp. These cooks use copious amounts of the stuff, which is made from finely powdered sassafras leaves. Added at the last minute, it thickens the soup while imparting a flavor that's earthy and herbal. I confess to using all three - a roux, okra and filé powder - in my own gumbo, which I hope is not sacrilegious. Not having grown up in gumbo territory, I based mine on a number of visits to New Orleans.
Provided by David Tanis
Categories dinner, lunch, soups and stews, main course
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Peel and devein shrimp. Reserve shrimp shells for broth. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic. Cover and refrigerate. Make the shrimp broth.
- Make the gumbo base: In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery and cook briskly, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and stir to combine. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring, until flour-vegetable mixture is well browned. Add tomato paste, paprika, cayenne and remaining garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring well, then add diced tomato and andouille sausage and cook for about 2 minutes. Season mixture generously with salt and pepper.
- Stir in shrimp broth and reduce heat to medium. With a wooden spoon, scrape bottom of pot to dissolve any browned bits. Simmer for about 25 minutes, until gumbo base thickens somewhat. Taste and adjust salt. (You may prepare gumbo base up to this point several hours ahead; bring it back to a brisk simmer before continuing.)
- Add okra and let cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes more. Turn off heat. Stir in filé powder. Serve immediately, sprinkled with scallions, along with steamed rice or cornbread if desired.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 384, UnsaturatedFat 15 grams, Carbohydrate 26 grams, Fat 21 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 23 grams, SaturatedFat 5 grams, Sodium 1160 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 0 grams
SHRIMP GUMBO WITH OKRA
I kinda winged this recipe but it turned out great! Authentic Creole flavors and so easy to make! I used pre-cooked/Cajun-seasoned shrimp which made this gumbo with okra that much easier, but you can just use raw shrimp. Adjust the spice to make it as hot or mild as you'd like. Leftovers freeze well. Serve with rice and/or crusty French bread!
Provided by XoJoMo
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Peel shrimp and toss shells with 1/2 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning. Place seasoned shells into a pot with water, 1 tablespoon diced onion, and 1 tablespoon diced bell pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cover. Let cook for at least 2 hours; the longer it cooks, the more flavor will be in your stock.
- Meanwhile, devein shrimp by gently running a knife along the back; this will also make your shrimp plump nicely when cooking. Toss shrimp in remaining Cajun seasoning and place in the refrigerator.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add flour slowly, stirring constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon. When all flour is added, continue stirring frequently until roux turns brown in color and has a nutty aroma, about 5 minutes. Add remaining onion and bell pepper; saute with roux until onion is translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tomato paste.
- Stir in tomatoes, okra, and shrimp stock slowly. Add crab boil seasoning. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and let cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Stir in shrimp and continue cooking until shrimp are bright pink but not tough, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 207.8 calories, Carbohydrate 16.3 g, Cholesterol 127.9 mg, Fat 10 g, Fiber 3.5 g, Protein 13.8 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, Sodium 665.7 mg, Sugar 6.2 g
SHRIMP AND OKRA GUMBO
- Season the shrimp with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste and set aside. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the okra and saute for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste, tomato, onion, garlic, celery and green bell pepper and saute for 15 more minutes.
- Add the water and season to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer for 20 more minutes. Finally, add the green onion to the soup and stir thoroughly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 393.5 calories, Carbohydrate 18.1 g, Cholesterol 230 mg, Fat 20.9 g, Fiber 6.3 g, Protein 34.8 g, SaturatedFat 3.1 g, Sodium 270.2 mg, Sugar 4.6 g
SHELLFISH AND ANDOUILLE GUMBO WITH SHRIMP, SCALLOPS, CLAMS AND OYSTERS WITH CRISPY OKRA
- For the gumbo base: Heat a medium skillet over high heat. Add the andouille and cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels. Do not drain. In the same pan, cook the celery, carrots, onion, bell pepper and garlic until soft.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Gradually add the flour, stirring occasionally. Cook the mixture (roux) until it's a light-caramel color, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onion mixture and cook for about 3 minutes, without stirring.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Whisk in about 6 cups of the stock into the roux mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, add the andouille sausage and continue simmering for about 20 minutes, add more stock if the mixture is too thick. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- For the seafood: Heat 2 tablespoon of the oil in a large saute pan, over high heat until almost smoking. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and sear the scallops, on one side, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining olive oil. Heat over medium-high until almost smoking. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and cook until just pink, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and set aside with the scallops.
- Add the scallops, shrimp, oysters and crab to the sauce and continue cooking until oysters are plump and cooked.
- For the Crispy Okra: Heat 2-inches of canola oil in a high sided saute pan over medium heat until it begins to shimmer. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Place the cornmeal in a shallow baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Season the okra with salt and pepper and toss in the cornmeal. Fry the okra, in batches, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to the baking sheet and season with salt.
- Divide the seafood among 4 shallow bowls, ladle in some of the sauce and sausage and add the honey and garnish with the fried okra and chopped parsley and cilantro.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, heat the oil until amost smoking and saute the shrimp shells and tails, onion, carrot and celery for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the water, wine, tomato and bay leaf. Reduce to medium, partly cover, and simmer 40 minutes.
- Strain though cheesecloth or a fine strainer.
SHRIMP, OKRA AND ANDOUILLE SMOKED SAUSAGE GUMBO
- In a 5 1/2 quart saucepan, heat the oil until hot. Add 6 cups of the okra. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 teaspoon of the white pepper, 1 teaspoon of the red pepper and the black pepper and stir well. Cook until well browned. (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in the onions; cook for 5 minutes, stirring often and scraping pan bottom as needed. Add 1 cup of the stock (or water) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 8 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add another 2 cups stock ( or water) cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper and the salt, garlic, onion powder and thyme. Add the butter and continue cooking over high heat, stirring until butter is melted and scraping the bottom well.
- Add the remaining 7 cups of stock, stirring well. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Add the andouille sausage and return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups okra; simmer 10 minutes. Then add the shrimp and green onions. Return gumbo to a boil, then remove from heat. Skim any oil from the surface and serve immediately.
- To serve, place a mounded 1/4 cup rice in the center of each serving bowl; spoon 1 1/2 cups gumbo around the rice. Serve half that amount for appetizer.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 647, Fat 44.6, SaturatedFat 15.8, Cholesterol 155.6, Sodium 1542.4, Carbohydrate 33.9, Fiber 6.3, Sugar 4.9, Protein 29.4
More about "gumbo with shrimp crab andouille sausage with okra recipes"
CHICKEN, CRAB & ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE GUMBO RECIPE ...
Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium high heat and cook the bacon, set the bacon aside to drain and measure the bacon renderings to 1 cup and reserve the rest for cooking the vegetables or another use. If you don't have enough bacon renderings melt enough butter to add to the bacon grease to make one cup.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil or bacon grease to the cast iron skillet you cooked the bacon in and cook the onion and bell pepper until soft and set aside.
- Add the 1 cup of the bacon fat to the skillet over medium heat and stir in the flour. Lower the heat to low and cook for at least 1 hour, stirring every 5 minutes. The roux should be thick, but not chalky. A little grease will probably separate from the roux while cooking. When it is dark tan and smells like toasted nuts, it is done. Caution: The roux burns easily so watch it very carefully and stir often.
SEAFOOD AND OKRA GUMBO - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of Vegetable oil over medium heat. Add okra and cook, stirring frequently for 25 to 30 minutes or until okra is lightly browned and no longer slimy.Remove from heat and set aside.
- While okra is cooking, make the roux.Heat butter and remaining vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot until butter is melted.
- Add flour and and cook and stir for 30 minutes, or until a dark brown color. Heat should be medium to medium-low. If the heat is too hot, the roux will burn and you will have to start over.
SHRIMP, ANDOUILLE, AND OKRA GUMBO - LOUISIANA COOKIN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
DEEP SOUTH DISH: SEAFOOD AND OKRA GUMBO WITH SHRIMP, CRAB ...
Servings 6-8Total Time 45 mins See details »
DEEP SOUTH DISH: SHRIMP AND ANDOUILLE GUMBO WITH OKRA
Servings 6-8Total Time 50 mins See details »
SHRIMP, CRAB AND SAUSAGE GUMBO – EVERYDAY CREOLE
See details »
SHRIMP AND OKRA GUMBO | EMERILS.COM
See details »
SHRIMP, CRAB AND OKRA GUMBO | EMERILS.COM
See details »
10 BEST SHRIMP SAUSAGE GUMBO OKRA RECIPES | YUMMLY
See details »
CHICKEN SAUSAGE SHRIMP AND OKRA GUMBO RECIPES - YUMMLY
See details »
SHRIMP AND CRAB GUMBO - BURRATA AND BUBBLES
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the 1/4 cup canola oil and bacon grease with flour in a Dutch oven or deep cast-iron skillet. Place uncovered in the oven and whisk every 20 minutes until the roux turns the color of melted chocolate. This should take about an hour and a half to two hours. Be careful not to touch the roux. It will be very hot.
- Heat canola oil and bacon grease over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk continuously until the roux turns the color of melted chocolate. This could take up to an hour, depending on your heat. Don’t turn the heat up too high to make the roux cook faster because it could burn. I typically keep mine slightly under medium to be safe, but I wouldn't go past medium.
LOVE GUMBO! THIS SUPER SHRIMP, OKRA AND ANDOUILLE SMOKED ...
Cuisine Cajun, CreoleCategory Appetizer, Dinner, Lunch, Main CourseServings 8Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Place all ingredients in a stock pot or a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then gently simmer at least 4 hours, preferably 8 , replenishing the water as need to keep about 1 quart of liquid in the pan. Cover with a lid if you like leaving it askew. Strain and refrigerate until ready to use. ****If you have an Instant Pot, you can make this stock rich and delicious in about 2 hours*** Even if you don't have the 4 to 8 hours, any homemade stock is far better than using water...the stock just makes these Louisiana dishes.
- In a 5 1/2 quart saucepan or large dutch oven (preferably cast iron) melt the fat over high heat until it begins to smoke, about 3 minutes. Add 6 cups of the okra. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 teaspoon of the white pepper, 1 teaspoon of the red pepper and the black pepper; stir well. **Remember to not add all the okra because you will add the remaining 2 1/2 cups at the end. Most of the okra you add now will be pretty cooked down, as this is what makes your sauce. The last 2 1/2 cups will remain in it's form.****
GUMBO WITH CHICKEN, SAUSAGE, SHRIMP & CRAB
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- In separate non-stick skillet, heat 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup flour. Stir constantly over medium high heat until mixture is smooth and turns dark brown. Add to Dutch oven.
SHRIMP AND OKRA GUMBO RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
4.5/5 (4)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsServings 12
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium; add onion and next 3 ingredients, and sauté 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, okra, broth, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes. Add shrimp, hot sauce, and filé powder. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve over rice.
SPICY GUMBO WITH SHRIMP, SAUSAGE AND OKRA - DAD WITH A PAN
- In a separate pot melt butter, and gradually stir in flour; about 2 minutes. Pour in milk and broth and whisk until smooth. Stir into gumbo. Added sausage.
- In a pan fry okra for about 3-5 minutes. Add into gumbo with shrimp and chopped scallions. Take the pot off of heat
SHRIMP, OKRA, AND ANDOUILLE SMOKED SAUSAGE GUMBO, INSTANT ...
- Combine paprika, sea salt, and pepper. Season the shrimp with spice mixture, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- In a Instant Pot, 5 1/2 quart saucepan, or large dutch oven, melt lard over high heat until it begins to smoke. Add sausage and cook, stirring often, to render the fat, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage with a fish flipper or slotted spoon and set aside.
GUMBO WITH SHRIMP, CRAB & ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE WITH OKRA ...
See details »
PAUL PRUDHOMME'S SHRIMP, OKRA, AND ANDOUILLE GUM-BRO!
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
GUMBO WITH SHRIMP CRAB ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE WITH OKRA RECIPE ...
Estimated Reading Time 1 min See details »
SHRIMP, ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE AND OKRA GUMBO — COOKS WITHOUT ...
Cuisine American, Southern, CreoleCategory Main Course, Soup, StewServings 6 See details »
GUMBO WITH SHRIMP CRAB ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE WITH OKRA RECIPES
See details »
SAUSAGE AND OKRA GUMBO RECIPES
See details »
You'll also love