HEARTY WINTER STEW
A surprisingly delicious stew made with simple winter vegetables and seasoned with a half-dozen herbs.
Provided by stronglive1
Categories 100+ Everyday Cooking Recipes Vegetarian Soups and Stews Stew
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Combine 1 cup water, cannellini beans, carrots, garlic, and scallions in a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Add barley and remaining water. Stir in dill, marjoram, thyme, celery salt, savory, rosemary, carrot greens, and salt. Cover and return to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until barley is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in Brussels sprouts, collard greens, and pine nuts. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Let simmer until Brussels sprouts are hot, 5 to 10 minutes. You can let simmer longer to let the flavors meld, adding more water if desired or needed, though the consistency should be thick.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 229.3 calories, Carbohydrate 44.8 g, Fat 2.2 g, Fiber 12.8 g, Protein 10.2 g, SaturatedFat 0.4 g, Sodium 263.8 mg, Sugar 3 g
HEARTY WINTER BEEF STEW
Make and share this Hearty Winter Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- In a large, deep nonstick frying pan over med-high heat, warm 3 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Dust the beef with the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Add the beef to the pan in batches and brown evenly on all sides, 5-7 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan over med-high heat.
- Add the onions and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and continue sauteing until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots and saute until nearly tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add the broth, wine, tomato paste, thyme, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Return the beef to the pan, decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the meat is almost tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the parsnips and potatoes, cover, and continue to simmer until both the vegetables and the meat are tender, about 15 minutes longer.
- Add the pearl onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- If the sauce is too thin, increase the heat and reduce for a few minutes.
- Spoon the stew into a large serving bowl or platter; garnish with the parsley and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 469.6, Fat 19.2, SaturatedFat 5.9, Cholesterol 112.3, Sodium 443, Carbohydrate 30.2, Fiber 3.6, Sugar 6.3, Protein 40
HEARTY WINTER STEW
Hearty winter stew is slow-cooked on the stove but I think it will also work in a crockpot on low increasing the cooking time to at least 8-10 hours. This hearty soup is delicious is hearty whole wheat bread or popovers. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1987)
Provided by ellie_
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Place chicken, beef and bones in a 12-quart pot, adding enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is tender (2 1/2- 3 hours).
- Remove chicken and beef. Let cool and cut meat and chicken off bones, discarding skin and bones.
- Strain stock. (can be prepared one day ahead to this point), cover and refrigerate in two containers (beef and chicken in one and stock in another. Degrease stock before continuing).
- Degrease stock and bring to a boil in dutch oven.
- Cut chicken and beef into small (1/2 inch) pieces and add to stock.
- Add vegetables (potatoes- tomatoes) to pan.
- Reduce heat, simmer stirring occassionally for 6-7 hours (or turn into a crockpot on low for 8-10 hours).
- Season with salt, pepper, and pepper sauce.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley, if desired.
More about "hearty winter stew recipes"
10 SUPER-HEARTY WINTER STEWS | KITCHN
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Instant Pot Beef Stew. Consider this beef stew, with thick chunks of carrot, potatoes and peas, an Instant Pot winter essential. While there’s no denying that a pot of stew bubbling away on the stovetop makes the kitchen smell amazing, the Instant Pot can get you from pulling ingredients out of the refrigerator to sitting down to dinner in just about an hour.
- Vegetable-Heavy Beef Stew. Classic beef stew is all about, well, the beef — with a few basic veggies thrown in for good measure. But this version takes the opposite approach.
- Slow Cooker Beef and Kabocha Squash Stew. If there’s a soft spot in your heart for winter squash, you cannot let the season pass by without trying this stew.
- Slow Cooker Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew. While I happily make this stew all year round, it’s a staple in my meal plan line up during the winter months.
- Pork, Poblano, and Pumpkin Stew. Inspired by classic chile verde, this hearty, spiced stew changes things up with tomatoes (both paste and canned) plus a blend of fragrant, warm spices, and of course, winter squash.
- Tofu-Miso Stew Casserole with Sage Biscuits. This plant-based stew is made of veggies doused in a rich miso gravy. It tastes and feels almost like a chicken pot pie.
- Kale and Cannellini Bean Stew. Like any good stew, this one leans hard on a plentiful mix of white beans, a medley of hearty vegetables, and a generous addition of winter greens.
- Slow Cooker Chile Verde Stew. Chile verde is more than a stew. Pork shoulder is rendered into supple, tender meat after a slow simmer in a flavorful sauce of roasted tomatillos, peppers, cilantro, and oregano.
- Slow-Cooker Beef and Barley Stew. On the next snow day, this is the stew to make. Taking inspiration from beef and barely soup, this winter essential is the best of both worlds.
- Coconut Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew. This recipe keeps everything we love about chicken stew, but takes cues from a favorite Brazilian dish to make it feel fresh and interesting.
89 HEARTY SOUP RECIPES TO KEEP YOU WARM THROUGH …
10 OF THE BEST HEARTY STEW RECIPES - BIG BEAR'S WIFE
10 UNIQUE AND HEARTY WINTERTIME STEWS - GRATEFUL
HEARTY WINTER STEW RECIPES - PUNCHBOWL
20 TOP TO TOE WARMING WINTER STEWS AND CASSEROLES
Occupation Freelance Food And Travel WriterPublished 2018-01-31Author Elaine Lemm
- Dublin Coddle. The ultimate comfort food must be a classic Dublin coddle. In this hearty stew, you will find salty bacon, sausage, and heaps of potatoes.
- Welsh Cawl. A classic stew from the tiny country of Wales is this Welsh cawl. It stands out from the rest because it is both a stew and a soup—two dishes in one.
- English Beef Stew and Dumplings. The English also know a thing or two about stews. Their famous offering of English beef stew and dumplings involves lots of beef, vegetables, and rib-sticking dumplings.
- Corned Beef Hash. Corned beef hash is another top choice for comfort food in British households. This stew is \so quick and easy to make that you'll quickly see why it's a staple.
- Traditional Lancashire Hotpot. If there were a contender for the title of Britain's favorite casserole the traditional Lancashire hotpot is it. The dish is filled with onions, beef, and crispy potatoes, and is so popular that it's known quite simply as "hotpot."
- Mum's Oxtail Stew. For many, mum's oxtail stew was a thing of childhood. It fell out of fashion—or rather the eating of the tail did—for many years. However, it is back and now recognized for the fabulous, tasty meat it is.
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Tinga. Smoky chipotle peppers, charred tomatoes, and onions are key to this chicken tinga recipe. The Mexican chicken stew is cooked in the slow cooker and takes all day.
- Turkey Cajun Stew. When you have leftover turkey to use up, make this turkey Cajun stew. It's a lot like gumbo, complete with shrimp, andouille sausage, okra, and bacon.
- Traditional Irish Stew. A traditional Irish stew is Ireland's national dish and a favorite on St. Patrick's Day. Traditionally, the classic stew was made with mutton, but that is becoming increasingly hard to find.
- British Beef, Leek, and Mushroom Stew. British beef, leek, and mushroom stew is the perfect warming winter dish. Chunks of beef are teamed with nutritious leeks while carrots, mushrooms, and onions add texture and taste.
40 HEARTY STEW RECIPES | FOOD & WINE
35 BEST WINTER SOUPS & STEWS - HEARTY SOUP RECIPES FOR WINTER
20 HEARTY STEWS FOR COLD WEATHER- A CULTIVATED NEST
75 BEST SOUP AND STEW RECIPES | RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY MEAL …
6 WARMING & FILLING STEWS FOR CHILLY NIGHTS | CLEAN PLATES
RECIPE ROUND-UP: HEARTY WINTER STEWS! - FRAMED COOKS
HEARTY WINTER STEWS - CHEF JOHN ASH
20+ MOUTHWATERING DELICIOUS HEARTY STEWS YOU NEED TRY THIS FALL
68 HEARTY RECIPES YOU'LL MAKE ALL WINTER LONG | TASTE OF …
24 HEARTY CHICKEN STEW RECIPES THAT MOM USED TO MAKE
HEARTY WINTER STEW – VEGAN & VEGETARIAN RECIPES 2022
20 EASY STEWS TO MAKE THIS WINTER THAT WILL KEEP YOU WARM AND …
HEARTY WINTER VEGETABLE STEW - PINTEREST
WINTER SOUPS AND STEWS RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
10 HEARTY STEWS TO HELP YOU POWER THROUGH WINTER - LIFESAVVY
A COLD DAY DELIGHT: 26 STEW RECIPES PERFECT FOR WINTER
HOT AND HEARTY WINTER STEW RECIPES TO WARM EVERYONE UP
18 HEARTY STEW AND CASSEROLE RECIPES FOR WINTER SEASON
STEW RECIPES TO KEEP YOU WARM ALL WINTER - FOODNETWORK.CA
30 EASY STEW RECIPES FOR A COZY WINTER DINNER - INSANELY GOOD
THE 8 BEST HEARTY WINTER SOUP AND STEW RECIPES TO TRY RIGHT NOW
HEARTY WINTER STEAK & SAUSAGE STEW - COOKING WITH BRY
THE BEST HEARTY WINTER BEEF AND VEGETABLE STEW RECIPE
HEARTY WINTER VEGETABLE STEW RECIPE - VEGETARIAN TIMES
MUST-TRY HEARTY STEWS AND BRAISES FOR WINTERY DAYS
OUR 46 BEST MEAT STEW RECIPES | EPICURIOUS
GILL MELLER’S HEARTY WINTER STEWS – RECIPES - HOHOHEK
25 HEALTHY WINTER STEW RECIPES - BASEMENT BAKEHOUSE
93 BEST HEARTY WINTER STEWS IDEAS | RECIPES, FOOD, COOKING RECIPES
32 BEST WINTER SOUPS AND STEWS - INSANELY GOOD RECIPES
HEARTY WINTER PORK STEW RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CHEF JOHN ASH FAVORITE RECIPES: HEARTY WINTER STEWS
HEARTY OXTAIL STEW: A DELICIOUS WINTER MEAL FOR SUNDAY LUNCH WITH …
40 BEST WINTER SOUPS AND STEWS THAT’LL WARM YOU RIGHT UP
5 WARM STEWS PERFECT FOR WINTER | RECIPES - TASTY
18 HEARTY STEW AND CASSEROLE RECIPES FOR WINTER SEASON
GILL MELLER’S HEARTY WINTER STEWS – RECIPES | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
15 HEARTY STEW RECIPES TO RIDE OUT THE WINTER - SERIOUS …
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #main-dish #beef #poultry #vegetables #holiday-event #winter #chicken #stove-top #christmas #seasonal #comfort-food #meat #taste-mood #equipment
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What are the best winter soups and stews?When you need a warm bowl of comfort, here are 32 winter soups and stews that are cozy and satisfying. Every recipe brings a warm blanket-like comfort and keeps your tummy full. So, let’s get your ladle working! 1. Old-Fashioned Beef Stew This one-pot recipe is what you need for a last-minute yet filling dish.
What are the best winter recipes?Add a hint of spice and balance the flavor by using essential spices like curry, coriander, and cumin. For an extra-sweet feast, don’t forget to include apples into the mix! There’s nothing better than winter soups and stews to warm you up on a cold day. From beef stew to baked potato soup, these recipes will become your new winter favorites.
What is the best stew to make in the fall?Pork, Poblano, and Pumpkin Stew Inspired by classic chile verde, this hearty, spiced stew changes things up with tomatoes (both paste and canned) plus a blend of fragrant, warm spices, and of course, winter squash. Pumpkin can be hard to come by after the fall months, but butternut or kabocha squash work just as well.
What's in a one-pot pork stew?This hearty one-pot recipe employs African-inspired spices and makes good use of chicken, sweet potatoes, and collard greens. "This creamy pork stew is one of my favorite cold weather dishes of all time," says Chef John. "You can add squash, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, mushrooms, root vegetables — it's quite versatile.