THE BEST RISOTTO
With relatively few ingredients (none of them being cream), the success of a classic creamy risotto depends largely on technique. We've tested all the methods and narrowed it down to a few easy-to-follow steps that will help you achieve perfectly cooked Italian-style rice every time. This basic recipe is delicious on its own and makes a wonderful base to add your favorite vegetables or protein.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Warm the chicken stock in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, cover and keep warm while you make the risotto.
- Heat the olive oil in another medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the shallot, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and about 10 grinds of black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the bay leaves and 3 tablespoons butter, stirring until the butter has melted, about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and toast, stirring only once, until it smells nutty and starts to turn light golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it has evaporated completely, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Ladle one cup of the warm stock into the rice and cook, stirring gently without stopping, until the rice has absorbed the liquid, 2 to 3 minutes (you will know it's time to add more stock when you move the rice aside and no liquid pools in the center).
- Repeat this process, adding more stock a ladleful at a time, until the rice is al dente, 17 to 19 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. (You may have a little stock left over. If so, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.) If you prefer your risotto on the saucier side, add more stock 1/4 cup at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in the Parmesan, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt and a few more grinds of black pepper and serve with more Parmesan, if desired.
RISOTTO FOR BEGINNERS
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the stock to a simmer. Lower the heat so the stock stays hot while you cook the risotto.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the chopped shallot or onion. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly translucent.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir it briskly with a wooden spoon so that the grains are coated with the oil and melted butter. Sauté for another minute or so, until there is a slightly nutty aroma. Make sure not to let the rice turn brown.
- Add the vermouth or wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Add a ladle of hot chicken stock to the rice and stir every once in a while until the liquid is fully absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock and repeat the process.
- Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for about 20 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy ( al dente ).
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the Parmesan cheese and parsley. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 247 kcal, Carbohydrate 24 g, Cholesterol 24 mg, Fiber 1 g, Protein 7 g, SaturatedFat 5 g, Sodium 406 mg, Sugar 4 g, Fat 11 g, ServingSize 3 to 4 cups, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In an ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring to coat the grains with oil, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the wine and cook until it has completely evaporated, about 1 minute. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water, the stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to the oven, and bake, until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Stir in 1/2 to 3/4 cup water (the consistency of the risotto should be creamy), the butter, cheese, and parsley. Serve immediately.
Risotto is a creamy Italian rice dish. In this version, the rice is briefly sauteed, then slowly cooked in wine and seasonings. -Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice and garlic; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed. , Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients; cook and stir until heated through. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 260 calories, Fat 6g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 2mg cholesterol, Sodium 728mg sodium, Carbohydrate 41g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 6g protein.
- Heat the broth in a saucepan and keep it at a simmer.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in another saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the rice, salt and pepper and stir to coat the grains.
- Add the wine to the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until all of the wine is evaporated.
- Add 1/4 cup of the broth to the rice mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the broth has been absorbed. Add another 1/4 cup of the broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until all is absorbed. Continue cooking the rice in this fashion until all the broth has been used. Remember that the rice must cook gently.
- When all the broth has been absorbed, fold in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the cheese. When the rice is done, the grains should be tender except at the very core, which should retain a very small bite. The total cooking time should be about 25 to 28 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 342, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 43 grams, Fat 13 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 10 grams, SaturatedFat 8 grams, Sodium 891 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
- Bring broth to boil in saucepan.
- Melt butter in a different saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic to butter, saute until tender.
- Add rice. Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add white wine. Stir until absorbed.
- Add hot broth 1/4 cup at a time. Stir occasionally until broth is absorbed.
- Continue adding broth in small amounts until all broth is absorbed. This should take 20-25 minutes.
- Try some of the rice. It should be tender but firm.
- When the rice is done, add cheese. Stir until melted and combined.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 493.6, Fat 9.5, SaturatedFat 5.5, Cholesterol 22.6, Sodium 647.9, Carbohydrate 83.5, Fiber 3.2, Sugar 1.8, Protein 13.1
HOW TO COOK A PERFECT RISOTTO RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: low-sodium chicken stock, olive oil, shallot, shiitake mushroom, unsalted butter, garlic, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, arborio rice, white wine, grated parmesan cheese, fresh parsley
Provided by Matt Ciampa
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Add the stock to a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the stock is boiling, reduce the heat to low or remove the pan from the heat and keep nearby.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide, tall pot over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have cooked down.
- Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, stir, and cook for 1 minute, until the butter has melted and the garlic is aromatic.
- Add the rice and stir until fully coated in the mushroom mixture. Let the rice toast for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the white wine and cook until the wine has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup (240 ml) of the hot stock and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until the stock is fully absorbed.
- Continue to add the stock, ½ cup (120 ml) at a time, stirring continuously, until the broth is fully absorbed, for 15-20 minutes. Depending on how fast the rice cooks, there may be leftover stock.
- Once the rice is al dente, remove from the heat. Add the Parmesan and stir to combine.
- Top with parsley, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
More about "how to cook risotto recipes"
EASY RISOTTO RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
Servings 6Total Time 45 minsCategory MainsCalories 446 per serving
- Finely grate the Parmesan.In a separate pan, heat the oil and 1 small knob of butter over a low heat, add the onions, garlic and celery, and fry gently for about 15 minutes, or until softened but not coloured.
HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO | ALLRECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
15 FANTASTICALLY EASY RISOTTO RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
BEST RISOTTO RICE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO - DELISH
THE EASIEST BASIC RISOTTO RECIPE | COOKING LIGHT
RISOTTO RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
HOW TO MAKE AUTHENTIC ITALIAN RISOTTO FOR BEGINNERS
HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO - RISOTTO RECIPE AT HOME | KITCHN
THE PERFECT CARNAROLI RISOTTO RECIPE - YOUR GUARDIAN CHEF
BASIC RISOTTO | RICARDO
17 CREAMY RISOTTO RECIPES ANYONE CAN MAKE | TASTE OF …
27 RISOTTO RECIPES FOR FANCY (BUT EASY) DINNERS AT HOME
10 BEST OVEN BAKED RISOTTO RECIPES | YUMMLY
27 RISOTTO RECIPES | AUSTRALIAN WOMEN'S WEEKLY FOOD
HOW TO COOK RISOTTO. 10 TIPS FOR A PERFECT RISOTTO
20 EASY RISOTTO RECIPES TO MAKE ALL SEASON LONG
HOW TO MAKE EASY OVEN-BAKED RISOTTO | KITCHN
THE BEST CREAMY RISOTTO RECIPE - CHEF BILLY PARISI
HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO ~ BASICS, IDEAS AND RECIPES - SUDDEN LUNCH!
CREAMY GARLIC PARMESAN RISOTTO RECIPE - KYLEE COOKS
HOW TO PRE-COOK RISOTTO LIKE A RESTAURANT - CHEF
OUR BEST RISOTTO RECIPES | RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY MEAL IDEAS
EASY RISOTTO RECIPE - SUGAR SPUN RUN
HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO | BBC GOOD FOOD
HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO (THE RIGHT WAY!) - LA CUCINA ITALIANA
HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO LIKE A PRO | MYRECIPES
CLASSIC RISOTTO RECIPE – A COUPLE COOKS
RISOTTO RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
A TRICK FOR MAKING RISOTTO AHEAD - ARTICLE - FINECOOKING
HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO PERFECTLY AT HOME | REAL SIMPLE
HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO LIKE A PRO - JESSICA GAVIN
15 CHEF SECRETS TO MAKING RESTAURANT-QUALITY RISOTTO - MYRECIPES
PERFECT RISOTTO RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
BASIC RISOTTO RECIPE | EATINGWELL
TIPS FOR HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT LUXURIOUS RISOTTO | RICESELECT®
HOW TO MAKE RISOTTO, A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE | MARTHA …
PRAWNS AND SAFFRON RISOTTO RECIPE BY CHARLES JAYAKUMAR
RISOTTO - 10 MISTAKES TO AVOID - LA CUCINA ITALIANA
HOW TO COOK A PERFECT RISOTTO - YOUTUBE
CLASSIC MUSHROOM RISOTTO RECIPE (STEPS + VIDEO!) | HOW TO …
You'll also love