AUTHENTIC MIDDLE EASTERN HUMMUS (CHUMMUS)
Authentic chummus is very different and SO much tastier than its American counterpart. This chummus is creamy and delicate in taste rather than overpowered with garlic or thick and pasty. It is eaten warm, fresh, and as a whole meal spread out in a dish and drizzled with fresh olive oil. It is scooped up with pita, raw onion slices, or just a fork. Do NOT use canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)!
Provided by Simone
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Rinse the garbanzo beans and and place in a pot. Fill with enough water to cover by at least 1 inch. Add baking soda, if using. Bring to a boil and then simmer over medium heat until the beans are very soft, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Drain the beans, reserving some of the water to use later. Reserve a small handful of the whole beans for a garnish. Transfer the rest to a blender or if you have a hand blender, a large bowl. Blend the beans until smooth, adding 1/2 cup of olive oil gradually. Add some of the reserved water if needed to help it blend. Add the tahini and blend in along with the lemon juice. Blend in the garlic, cumin and salt.
- Spread the hummus into a flat serving dish and garnish with the reserved beans and a drizzle of olive oil.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 550.8 calories, Carbohydrate 51.2 g, Fat 32.3 g, Fiber 15.2 g, Protein 18.4 g, SaturatedFat 4.4 g, Sodium 78.5 mg, Sugar 8.3 g
- Put the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, cumin and garlic into a food processor and pulse until smooth. With the motor running, slowly pour in the oil in a steady stream. Add the salt and puree until very smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add some of the reserved chickpea liquid, 2 tablespoons at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- To serve, transfer the hummus to a serving bowl and drizzle some olive oil over the top. Garnish with a sprinkling of smoked paprika if using, and serve with vegetables and pita chips for dipping.
- Store leftover hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
For a quick dip, make Ina Garten's Hummus recipe from Barefoot Contessa on Food Network; use tahini, garlic and lemon juice to brighten up canned chickpeas.
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield about 2 3/4 cups
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Turn on the food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop the garlic down the feed tube; process until it's minced. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Taste, for seasoning, and serve chilled or at room temperature.
This recipe is from my dear friend, Elias, and his family. They are from the Middle East and this recipe is a staple for them. It has just the right balance of flavours.
Provided by Leggy Peggy
Yield 2 1/4 cups, 18 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Drain and rinse garbanzos. Do NOT use can juices for the liquid in this recipe. They 'muddy' the flavour of the end result.
- Put garlic, tahini and salt in a blender or food processor and buzz until ingredients are well mixed (10-15 seconds).
- Add garbanzo beans (one can at a time) and blend after each addition. You can reserve a few whole beans for garnish.
- Add lemon juice and blend.
- Add as much water as you need for the consistency you like. I usually use it all, unless the lemon is ultra juicy.
- Spread hummus on a flat plate. Create a bowl shape by elevating the edges with hummus.
- Drizzle olive oil over the hummus, sprinkle with paprika and garnish with reserved whole beans and chopped parsley.
- Serve with flat Arabic bread. It's nice to toast the bread lightly in the oven.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 81.7, Fat 2.5, SaturatedFat 0.3, Sodium 168.9, Carbohydrate 12.3, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 0.1, Protein 3
AUTHENTIC KICKED-UP SYRIAN HUMMUS
This hummus recipe was handed down to me by my Syrian grandmother. I took it and tweaked it just a touch, adding roasted garlic, making it my most-requested recipe. I finally made it for my grandma a few months ago and she said it was incredible. That was my Oscar moment :) Even people who don't like hummus love this recipe. And I'm modest too!
Provided by Mary
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place unpeeled garlic cloves in the middle of a large square of aluminum foil. Drizzle cloves with 1 tablespoon of olive oil; wrap in foil. Roast in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool. When slightly cooled, squeeze roasted garlic out of peels.
- Combine roasted garlic, garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the work bowl of a food processor. Process until very creamy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 166.9 calories, Carbohydrate 12.7 g, Fat 11.8 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 4.5 g, SaturatedFat 1.6 g, Sodium 413.3 mg, Sugar 0.3 g
HUMMUS (OR HUMUS) - AUTHENTIC
This is the BEST hummus / humus recipe I've ever made. It tastes just like the hummus that is served at Middle Eastern restaurants and has had all my friends raving. I've tried lots of hummus recipes in my quest for the best and I believe this is the one. It was given to my by a work colleague who said she's always inundated for the recipe after people have tried it. One important note - don't substitute canned for dried chickpeas- it won't work! I did this the first time I made it and it was too salty. It's a little bit of extra effort/preparation - but using dried chickpeas guarantees the right combination of flavours. The amounts below make large serving of the dip - you can easily halve or quarter the amounts and still get a delicious result.
Provided by amanda l b
Yield 2 bowls, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Soak the garbanzos (chickpeas) in water for 6 hours. there should be enough water to more than cover the chickpeas and allow them to expand.
- Drain the chickpeas and put in a large saucepan with 2 litres of fresh water.
- Simmer for 1 1/4 hours - or until the chickpeas are very tender.
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving about 1 cup of the liquid. Allow the chickpeas to cool (I often run them under cold water).
- Put the chickpeas in a food processor with all remaining ingredients - except the reserved liquid and the extra oil and paprika.
- Process until smooth and creamy looking, adding some of the reserved liquid until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve drizzed with olive oil and paprika.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 238.1, Fat 13.6, SaturatedFat 1.8, Sodium 594.9, Carbohydrate 23.4, Fiber 6.4, Sugar 4, Protein 7.6
- In bowl of food processor combine chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, and salt. Pulse to a thick paste. With motor running, slowly add water, then oil, in a slow stream. Taste and add more salt if needed.
More about "hummus or humus authentic recipes"
THE 15 BEST HUMMUS RECIPES
Author Cathy JacobsPublished 2018-05-11
- Classic Hummus With Tahini. Want to make the traditional hummus that's been popular for centuries? Here's the ultimate classic recipe for this Middle Eastern dip, which includes tahini (sesame paste).
- Hummus Without Tahini. Traditional hummus recipes are made with tahini, but if you have an allergy to sesame, here's an alternative hummus recipe to try.
- Black Bean Hummus. Southwestern cuisine meets a favorite Middle Eastern recipe in this protein- and antioxidant-rich hummus recipe that uses black beans instead of the traditional chickpeas.
- White Bean Hummus Dip. White bean hummus is super easy to make, and a great way to add variety to your appetizer table at parties and cookouts. Just a handful of ingredients go into this easy hummus dip recipe you can whip up in minutes in your food processor.
- Kalamata Olive Hummus. The savory, salty taste of Kalamata olives adds something special to this simple hummus recipe. Serve this tasty dip at buffet parties, alongside a tray of pita bread triangles, pita chips, crackers, or raw vegetables.
- Peanut Butter Hummus. Peanut butter hummus is a fun and unexpected appetizer that kids and adults alike will love. Packed with yummy flavor and high in protein, peanut butter hummus is great for vegetarians and peanut butter lovers.
- Cilantro and Lemon Hummus. Do you love the herbaceous green flavor of cilantro? If you do, you're sure to flip your lid over this sweet, earthy, lemony hummus recipe with a delightful cilantro twist.
- Carrot Hummus. Roasted carrots and garlic are combined with the usual hummus ingredients for a vibrant, creamy carrot hummus dip. Roasting the veggies adds a light sweetness and lots of nutrition.
- Pumpkin Hummus. Pumpkin adds pretty color and nice creaminess, making it a delicious fall appetizer. Fresh sage is a nice addition to this pumpkin hummus.
- Lebanese Moutabel (Spicy Eggplant Dip) Calling all eggplant lovers, this delectable hummus recipe features roasted eggplant as its main ingredient. It has a smoky flavor a little bit reminiscent of baba ghannouj, a Middle Eastern eggplant dip.
HUMUS - BEST HUMMUS RECIPE (AUTHENTIC TURKISH) *UPDATED
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
EASY HUMMUS RECIPE (AUTHENTIC & HOMEMADE FROM …
4.9/5 (107)Calories 176 per servingCategory Appetizers
THE ORIGINAL ARABIC HUMMUS, IDEAL AS AN APPETISER OR …
25 DIFFERENT WAYS TO EAT HUMMUS. #5 IS ABSOLUTLEY …
THE BEST HOMEMADE HUMMUS - ONCE UPON A CHEF
AUTHENTIC HUMMUS RECIPE | MIDDLE EASTERN HUMMUS …
BEST HUMMUS RECIPE (PLUS TIPS & VARIATIONS) - COOKIE …
EASY HUMMUS (BETTER THAN STORE-BOUGHT) - INSPIRED …
3 EASY, DELICIOUS HOMEMADE HUMMUS RECIPES - MY …
HUMMUS | RECIPETIN EATS
QUICK AUTHENTIC JAFFA-STYLE HUMMUS - LION'S BREAD
CLASSIC CHICKPEA HUMMUS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
AUTHENTIC HUMMUS RECIPE YOU'LL LOVE MAKING EVERY TIME
AUTHENTIC LEBANESE HUMMUS - FEELGOODFOODIE
AUTHENTIC HUMMUS RECIPE CAN BE MADE IN ONLY FOUR …
PERFECT HOMEMADE HUMMUS | JESSICA IN THE KITCHEN
17 UNIQUE HUMMUS RECIPES THAT YOU *WON’T* BELIEVE - BRIT
HUMMUS RECIPE (THE TRADITIONAL TASTY WAY) - CHEF TARIQ
EASY AUTHENTIC HUMMUS - THE STAY AT HOME CHEF
HUMMUS RECIPE (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
AUTHENTIC LEBANESE HUMMUS RECIPE - ANNA IN THE KITCHEN
LEBANESE HUMMUS RECIPE BY ZAATAR AND ZAYTOUN - LEBANESE CUISINE
CLASSIC ISRAELI HUMMUS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
FRESH HUMMUS RECIPE - AUTHENTIC HUMMUS RECIPE
AUTHENTIC HUMMUS - CATASTROPHIC COOK - SMOOTH CREAMY HUMMUS
AUTHENTIC HUMMUS RECIPE (VEGAN) - BARBARAS FOOD CRAVINGS
EASY AUTHENTIC HUMMUS RECIPE FOR HOMEMADE TRADITIONAL HUMMUS
LEBANESE HUMMUS (THE BEST HUMMUS RECIPE) - MEDITERRANEAN …
HUMMUS THE ORIGINAL RECIPE – MIDDLE EASTERN RECIPES
EGYPTIAN HUMMUS (AUTHENTIC HUMMUS RECIPE) - MEDITERRANEAN …
AUTHENTIC HUMMUS: BEST ISRAELI-STYLE (OTTOLENGHI) - GARLIC HEAD
HUMMUS RECIPES - EASY, HEALTHY & AUTHENTIC| TASTE OF HOME
HOW TO MAKE HUMMUS AT HOME THE EASY WAY | TASTE OF HOME
EASY AUTHENTIC HUMMUS - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
AUTHENTIC HUMMUS - DELICIOUSLY MEDITERRANEAN
THE BEST HUMMUS RECIPE (3 INGREDIENTS) - SHANE & SIMPLE
EASY AUTHENTIC HUMMUS RECIPE - COOKING GORGEOUS
HUMUS - BEST HUMMUS RECIPE (AUTHENTIC TURKISH) *UPDATED
AUTHENTIC RECIPE FOR HUMMUS - AMIRA'S PANTRY
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make traditional hummus?An important step when making traditional hummus is to process the lemon juice and tahini as the first step. This process allows the tahini to emulsify with the lemon juice making a single sauce. Add the chickpeas, garlic and salt and process, scraping down the sides as you go.
What are the ingredients in hummus?Basically, hummus is an unleavened preparation of chickpeas, tahini, and various other spices. You can add to the hummus mixture are ingredients such as Tahini, olive oil, and lemon juice. The hummus recipe varies from country to country but there are some standard ingredients you need to add.
What is the best hummus to mix?We’ve also included two popular flavor options for Garlic Hummus and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus. Add tahini paste, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, cumin (if using) and salt to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds.
Can you make hummus without tahini?Traditional hummus recipes are made with tahini, but if you have an allergy to sesame, here's an alternative hummus recipe to try. This hummus without tahini recipe uses olive oil instead to add texture and smoothness.