KING RANCH CHICKEN
This flavorful dish has many variations. Our recipe includes its own well-seasoned sauce, omitting the canned soup commonly found in King Ranch Chicken recipes. No Cheez Whiz or Doritos either! Yes, it's a little more trouble, but the resulting dish is worth the effort. This casserole freezes well, and will be a big favorite at your table. This recipe is from Eleanor Bradshaw's menu of company chicken recipes.
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Preparation: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish or 3-quart casserole. Make the Sauce: Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and chili powder, and sauté for a few minutes. Raise the heat to medium. Quickly sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to mix. Pour in a small amount of the chicken broth, stirring constantly to remove lumps, and allow the flour to "cook" briefly. Gradually add the remaining chicken broth and the buttermilk and continue stirring until sauce has thickened, 7 or 8 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside. Sauce may be prepared in advance and refrigerated. Make the Filling: Warm a heavy skillet over medium heat, add the butter or olive oil, and sauté the chopped onion, poblano, mushrooms and tomatoes until onion is transparent, about 4 or 5 minutes. Fold into the mixture the diced chicken, olives and green onions, combining well. Remove from heat. Assembling the Dish: In a small skillet, heat about about half an inch of canola oil. Using tongs, dip the tortillas in the hot oil one at a time, for just a few seconds, so that they are softened. Cover the bottom of your baking dish with 6 of the softened tortillas, overlapping as necessary. Layer the remaining ingredients in the following order: Half of the chicken/vegetable mixture One-third of the grated cheese Half of the sauce The remaining 6 softened tortillas The remaining chicken/vegetable mixture One-third of the grated cheese The remaining sauce The remaining cheese Bake for 40 minutes at 350°F until casserole is heated through and bubbly. Makes about 8 servings.
KING RANCH CHICKEN (KING RANCH- KINGSVILLE, TEXAS)
This is not the original recipe in that it has more modern ingredients (i.e. canned condensed soup as opposed to the scratch recipes) but the flavor is a bullseye to the original dish served in Kingsville, Texas. My thanks to Juanita for sharing.
Provided by ValkyrieQueen
Categories Chicken Breast
Yield 1 pan, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; place in a baking dish.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes; cool. Corsely chop chicken; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add bell pepper and onion, and cook, stirring constantly until crisp-tender. Remove from heat, and stir in chicken, tomatoes, and soups.
- Place 1/3 of the tortillas in the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 baking dish; top with 1/3 of the chicken mixture, sprinkle 2/3 cup of cheddar cheese. Repeat layers, reerving the last 2/3 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 325 for 35 minutes; sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for additional 5 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 747.4, Fat 38, SaturatedFat 16.2, Cholesterol 115.4, Sodium 2054.2, Carbohydrate 60.4, Fiber 3.5, Sugar 4.2, Protein 40.1
KING RANCH CHICKEN
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Make the soup/tomato mixture, which is very bizarre and might scare you off. But please: Be brave and stick with me through this challenging time. You won't be sorry! In a large bowl, combine the soups and diced tomatoes and chiles. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Then--this is the time to be strong--stir it all together. Trust me!
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with half of the torn tortillas. Layer on half the chicken. Add half the onion, bell pepper and jalapeno. Sprinkle on half the cheese and pour on half the wacky soup mixture. Then repeat the layers, beginning with the rest of the tortillas, and ending with the rest of the you-know-what.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake until bubbling, another 15 minutes.
- Look at that! Serve it with a salad and a dang hearty appetite.
- To make ahead and freeze: Fold foil over the unbaked casserole and freeze until solid. Then, lift the foil-topped casserole out of the pan, wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap and freeze until needed. When ready to bake, remove the plastic wrap, put the foiled-topped casserole back into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and thaw. Bake at 350 degrees F following the baking instructions above.
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE III
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine the chicken soup, mushroom soup, broth and tomatoes with chiles. Set aside.
- Lightly grease a shallow 3 quart casserole dish. Layer 1/2 the tortillas, 1/2 the chicken, 1/2 the onion, 1/2 the bell pepper and 1/2 the cheese in the casserole dish. Pour 1/2 of the soup mixture over the layers. Repeat the layers of tortillas, chicken, onion and bell pepper; pour the remaining soup mixture over the top, then top with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle with chili powder and garlic salt and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 374.8 calories, Carbohydrate 28 g, Cholesterol 77.4 mg, Fat 17.1 g, Fiber 3.7 g, Protein 27.9 g, SaturatedFat 7.9 g, Sodium 1102.3 mg, Sugar 2.3 g
A TRUE TEXAN'S KING RANCH CHICKEN
The quintessential Texan feel-good comfort casserole. From a friend who used to own a well-known catering business in Humble, Texas. This is the best! You can make this LOW-CARB by substituting R.W. Garcia Low-Carb Tortilla Chips (or other kind) for the Tostitos.
Provided by Tropical Texan
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Take 1/2 the bag of chips and layer them on the bottom of a greased 13" x 9" x 2" casserole dish. Then place shredded chicken atop the layer of chips. Layer half of the cheese on top of the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, prepare sauce. Combine salsa, sour cream, cream of chicken, evaporated milk (or heavy cream), and olives and mix well. Pour over casserole, then add the remaining cheese on top. Cook for 1 hour, or until the top is brown and bubbly. Check it when there is about 15 minutes left--you may want to cover with foil for remainder of cook time.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 677.3, Fat 42.9, SaturatedFat 18, Cholesterol 130.8, Sodium 1267.4, Carbohydrate 35.7, Fiber 3.3, Sugar 3, Protein 38.6
TEXAS RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute onion, green pepper and red pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic and saute an additional minute. Stir in chicken, soups, tomatoes and chili powder.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with half of the tortilla strips.
- Top with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
Nutrition Facts : Servingsize 1 serving, Calories 2507 kcal, Fat 111 g, SaturatedFat 56 g, Cholesterol 476 mg, Sodium 2912 mg, Carbohydrate 219 g, Sugar 24 g, Protein 163 mg
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Saute onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper in hot oil until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Combine onion-pepper mixture, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, sour cream, cumin, ancho chile powder, oregano, and chipotle chile powder together in a large bowl and stir until sauce is well-combined.
- Spread a few tablespoons of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread 1/2 the chicken over the sauce. Spread about half the sauce over the chicken and top with 1/3 the cheese. Spread a layer of tortillas over the cheese. Spread remaining 1/2 the chicken over the tortillas, and top with almost all of the remaining sauce, reserving 1/2 cup sauce. Top with 1/3 the cheese, remaining tortillas, the reserved 1/2 cup sauce, and remaining 1/3 cheese.
- Bake casserole in the preheated oven until bubbling, about 40 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to broil. Broil the casserole until top is golden, 2 to 3 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 479.1 calories, Carbohydrate 24.9 g, Cholesterol 99.5 mg, Fat 28 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 32 g, SaturatedFat 11 g, Sodium 890.3 mg, Sugar 2.8 g
More about "king ranch chicken king ranch kingsville texas recipes"
ORIGINAL KING RANCH CASSEROLE RECIPE | TEXAS HERITAGE …
TEXAS KING RANCH CHICKEN
5/5 (1)Category Main CourseCuisine TexanCalories 921 per serving
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE - THE COOKIN CHICKS
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE - LET'S DISH RECIPES
KING RANCH CHICKEN - PIONEER
AUTHENTIC KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE - FIVEHEARTHOME
KING RANCH CHICKEN – TEXAS FARM BUREAU – TABLE TOP
KING RANCH CHICKEN - OF THE HEARTH
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE WITH ROTEL - BOWL ME OVER
KING RANCH CHICKEN (FREEZER FRIENDLY VERSION!) - CHEF SAVVY
KING RANCH CHICKEN – AN UPDATE ON A TEXAS CLASSIC
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE | SOUTHERN LIVING
BEST DAMN KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE - TEXAS GRANOLA GIRL
FOUND RECIPES: TRADITIONAL KING RANCH CASSEROLE : NPR
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE - FAMILY FRESH MEALS
THE KING RANCH LEGACY - KING RANCH
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE | TASTE OF HOME
KING RANCH CHICKEN FROM SCRATCH | EASY, HEALTHY CASSEROLE RECIPE
KING RANCH CHICKEN DIP (VIDEO) - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE | HOMESICK TEXAN
BEST KING RANCH CHICKEN RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE KING RANCH CHICKEN
KING RANCH CASSEROLE – TEXAS MONTHLY
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE - HOW TO FEED A LOON
EASY KING RANCH CASSEROLE RECIPE - SOUTHERN PLATE
KING RANCH CASSEROLE - SUNSET & SEWANEE
KING RANCH CHICKEN - THE SEASONED MOM
KING RANCH CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
TEXAS KING RANCH CHICKEN - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
KING RANCH CASSEROLE IS THE ULTIMATE TEX-MEX TREAT
KING RANCH CHICKEN RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
KING RANCH CASSEROLE WITH STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS - BAKED BREE
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE, WHATS COOKING AMERICA
HOMEMADE KING RANCH CASSEROLE - DEEP SOUTH DISH
EASY KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE- BEST EASY WEEKNIGHT …
SPICY KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
KING RANCH CHICKEN: THE KING OF CHICKEN CASSEROLES
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE - SMOKING MEAT FORUMS
KING RANCH CHICKEN - DINNER AT THE ZOO
You'll also love