LEBKUCHEN (GERMAN HONEY BARS)
Lebkuchen recipes are many and diverse-some are flourless, made with almond and hazelnut meal; some are made in bar form and others in cookie form; some are glazed with chocolate and others with a thin lemon glaze. We like to age the dough for up to two months before baking to allow the flavors to develop (the sugar and honey keep the egg from spoiling). After baking, these resilient cookies can be stored in an airtight container for at least a month more.
Provided by Megan Scott
Yield Makes 36 (2 1/4 x 1 1/2-inch) bars
Number Of Ingredients 27
- Honey bars:
- Heat honey and water in a large heavy saucepan until runny. Remove from heat, and stir in butter until melted. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in brown sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the honey mixture and stir just until combined. Add almonds, citron, and candied orange peel. Stir until the dough is smooth. Cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 24 hours or up to 1 month.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper so it extends over the 2 long sides.
- Firmly press the dough into the prepared pan to form a smooth, even layer. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 30 minutes.
- Citrus glaze and decoration:
- In a medium bowl, beat together powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla until smooth. While the lebkuchen is still warm, spread glaze evenly over the top.
- Mark into bars by cutting into the lebkuchen about ¼ inch deep with a knife. Decorate, if desired, by placing 1 candied cherry in the center of each bar. And arrange 4 blanched almonds around each cherry.
- Let stand in the pan on a rack until completely cool and the icing is set. Using the overhanging parchment as handles, transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bars. If possible, let the cookies age for at least 2 weeks to allow the spices to ripen. Lebkuchen will keep for months in an airtight container.
LEBKUCHEN (SPICE BARS)
- Stir together the spices, salt flour, and baking powder.
- Stir in the almonds and lemon rind.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar until a ribbon is formed when the beater is removed.
- Stir in the honey and milk.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Spread the batter in an 11 X 17-inch jelly roll pan that is well greased and floured.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cake is done.
- While the cake is still warm, turn it out onto a wire rack.
- To make the almond glaze, mix the confectioners' sugar, almond extract, rum, and 1 to 2 T of water.
- Beat until glaze is smooth and of the right consistency.
- Add more water to thin if neccessary.
- Spread the warm cake with the almond glaze.
- Cut cake into 1 X 2 1/2-inch bars while still warm.
- Spice bars keep 6 to 8 weeks in a sealed container if not glazed.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, brown sugar and honey until smooth. Stir in the molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and allspice; stir into the molasses mixture. Stir in the almonds and candied fruit peel. Cover or wrap dough, and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into 2x3 inch rectangles. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. While still warm, brush the cookies with the lemon glaze.
- To make the glaze: In a small bowl, stir together the egg white, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix in the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Brush over cookies.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 119.9 calories, Carbohydrate 26.6 g, Cholesterol 5.2 mg, Fat 1.1 g, Fiber 0.6 g, Protein 1.7 g, SaturatedFat 0.1 g, Sodium 24.1 mg, Sugar 14.6 g
LEBKUCHEN (GERMAN CHRISTMAS HONEY COOKIES)
This recipe is from an OLD betty crocker cookbook and is my absolute favorite Christmas cookie. My MIL sends a batch every year and is one of my favorite things of the season. DO NOT overbake these or they will become so hard that you might need to have dental work done (lol) If the cookies are too hard she suggests placing them in an airtight container with an apple slice. I did not include chilling time in the recipe.
Provided by GotBoxer
Yield 72 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Mix honey and molasses and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Stir in brown sugar, egg, lemon juice and lemon rind.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and spices, then stir into the honey-molasses mix.
- Mix in the citron and chopped nuts, place the dough in the refrigerator and chill overnight.
- Roll out a small amount of dough at a time to 1/4 inch thick, keeping the rest in the fridge. You can either cut out oblong shapes about 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" or just cut out circle shapes about 2" in diameter.
- Place on a GREASED baking sheet about 1" apart.
- Place 3 almonds on top of each cookie in a flower shape, and place in a 400 deg oven for 10-12 min or until no imprint remains when touched lightly.
- While cookies bake, make glaze by boiling the water and sugar to 230 degrees - until it just barely begins to thread.
- Remove from heat and stir in confectioners sugar.
- Brush the hot glaze lightly over the cookies (if it gets grainy reheat slightly with a little water to thin again).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 57.6, Fat 0.5, SaturatedFat 0.1, Cholesterol 2.9, Sodium 16.1, Carbohydrate 13, Fiber 0.2, Sugar 8.7, Protein 0.7
More about "lebkuchen german honey bars recipes"
GERMAN LEBKUCHEN BARS RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
4.5/5 (2)Servings 24Cuisine GermanCategory Bar, Honey, Dessert
- Combine brown sugar, butter, 1/3 cup honey, egg, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and lemon zest in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice, cloves and nutmeg; beat at low speed until well mixed. Stir in blanched almonds and raisins.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Stir together all glaze ingredients in bowl until smooth. Drizzle over bars. Garnish with candied cherries and almonds, if desired.
GERMAN LEBKUCHEN RECIPE ~ OMA'S EASY CHRISTMAS …
RECIPE FOR LEBKUCHEN BARS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES …
GERMAN COOKIE BARS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
RECIPE LEBKUCHEN CUT INTO BARS - THERESCIPES.INFO
HOW TO MAKE GERMAN LEBKUCHEN | GINGERBREAD
GERMAN HONEY BARS (LEBKUCHEN) RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
LEBKUCHEN: CLASSIC GERMAN GINGERBREAD RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
LEBKUCHEN | KING ARTHUR BAKING
LEBKUCHEN OR GERMAN HONEY CAKES RECIPE
LEBKUCHEN (GERMAN HONEY BARS) | PUNCHFORK
GERMAN LEBKUCHEN BARS - A CANADIAN FOODIE
GERMAN HONEY BARS - FLOUR ON MY FACE
GERMAN LEBKUCHEN (HONEY BARS) - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
GERMAN HONEY BARS LEBKUCHEN RECIPE BY HOLIDAYCOOKING - IFOOD.TV
LEBKUCHEN, GERMN CAKE OR COOKIE BAR STYLE - KITCHEN PROJECT
LEBKUCHEN BARS - GERMAN CHRISTMAS COOKIES - GERMANFOODS.ORG
LEBKUCHEN (GERMAN HONEY BARS) RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
LEBKUCHEN (GERMAN HONEY BARS) | RECIPE | LEBKUCHEN, HONEY BAR …
LEBKUCHEN RECIPE (WITH CHOCOLATE!) | KITCHN
MOIST AND CHEWY LEBKUCHEN (GERMAN SPICED CHRISTMAS COOKIES) …
LEBKUCHEN: THE AUTHENTIC GERMAN HONEY CAKE RECIPE - COOKIST
LEBKUCHEN SPICE BARS - MISS COOKBOOK
AUTHENTIC GERMAN LEBKUCHEN RECIPE - THE DARING GOURMET
GERMAN LEBKUCHEN BARS | RECIPE | CHRISTMAS PASTRIES, LEBKUCHEN, …
GERMAN CHRISTMAS LEBKUCHEN (SPICE BARS) RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
GERMAN LEBKUCHEN - YUM TASTE
RECIPE FOR LEBKUCHEN BARS - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is a lebkuchen bar recipe?This Lebkuchen bar recipe, also known as a honey cake, is so easy and quick to make, which makes it a wonderful Christmas time recipe, especially if your holiday season tends to be quite busy. It is made with many of the same classic ingredients as any traditional Lebkuchen recipe.
How do you make Lebkuchen cookies?In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of Lebkuchen spice mix, and half a teaspoon baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until they are well mixed. Now it's time to stir in a half cup of chopped almonds and a half cup of finely chopped mixed candied peel and fruit.
How do you bake Lebkuchen in the oven?Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan. Transfer the dough to the pan and, with a spatula, spread it into an even layer. Bake the lebkuchen for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. While the bars are baking, make the glaze.
How do you decorate Lebkuchen?Mark into bars by cutting into the lebkuchen about ¼ inch deep with a knife. Decorate, if desired, by placing 1 candied cherry in the center of each bar. And arrange 4 blanched almonds around each cherry. Let stand in the pan on a rack until completely cool and the icing is set.