NORTH CAROLINA-STYLE VINEGAR BARBECUE SAUCE
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield about 1 quart
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Combine the bacon, beef stock, cider vinegar, white vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, red pepper flakes, chile powder and 1 tablespoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the bacon renders its fat, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside to let the flavors develop, 20 minutes. Remove the bacon. Reheat the sauce before serving.
NORTH CAROLINA STYLE TEMPEH BARBECUE
I got this recipe from Veggie Life Magazine and it is great. If you use molasses in this recipe, use 2/3 cup coffee and add 1/3 cup water. chipotle chiles are smoked jalapeno peppers, available dried or canned (often these are in adobo sauce). You can find this at Wal*mart or at Mexican markets.
Provided by Shannon Holmes
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large skillet, place a steamer rack.
- Place water in skillet, not touching the steamer rack.
- Place tempeh slices on rack and steam 15-20 minutes.
- Place on paper towels, remove rack and wipe out the skillet.
- Place oil in skillet and over medium heat, fry the tempeh on each side until golden brown.
- Remove and place on paper towels to drain.
- Add onion to skillet and saute over medium heat until onion is lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add whole chipotle chile and cook 2 minutes more, until onion is browned.
- Add vinegar to release brown bits from bottom of the pan.
- Stirring in each ingredient gradually, add tomato paste, barley malt, mustard, vegetable stock, and coffee.
- Simmer until mixture is almost reduced by half.
- Remove chipotle, slice in half and remove seeds, mince and return to sauce.
- Add browned tempeh and simmer about 10 more minutes.
- Divide tempeh and sauce evenly among buns and serve with coleslaw, either on the sandwich or on the side.
- I actually serve this on tortilla wrappers with rice and it is great like that!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 477.4, Fat 28.6, SaturatedFat 4.9, Sodium 305, Carbohydrate 35.1, Fiber 2.6, Sugar 5.4, Protein 26
EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA BARBECUE
- Add hickory, oak, and maple chunks or chips to your smoker. Refer to the directions for your smoker to determine the correct amount of chips for the meat and for lighting instructions. When the chips are ready, add the pork and smoke it for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 250 degrees F. Remove the pork and wrap it in heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F.
- Cook the pork for 6 to 8 hours or until the meat is tender and falls apart when the bone is removed. Chop the pork coarsely and mix in salt and barbecue sauce, to taste. Serve with more barbecue sauce on the side.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, red pepper, garlic, and salt over high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-high. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes and then remove from the heat. Let cool then add the black pepper.
EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA-STYLE BARBECUE SAUCE
Chris Schlesinger is the chef and an owner of the East Coast Grill in Cambridge, Mass., which he opened in 1985. He is also the author, with John Willoughby, of six cookbooks that relate somehow to the pleasures of fire. This is an adaptation of his recipe for barbecue sauce meant to be served with his pulled pork.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Yield About 1 cup
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Whisk ingredients together in a bowl. Drizzle on barbecued meat. Covered, sauce will keep about 2 months.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 39, UnsaturatedFat 0 grams, Carbohydrate 4 grams, Fat 0 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 0 grams, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 295 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams
Barbecue sauce transforms virtuous tempeh into finger-licking comfort food. One of the benefits of homemade barbecue sauce is the ability to adjust the seasonings to suit your own taste. Use the recipe below as a guideline, altering the ingredients as you see fit. (In a pinch, bottled barbecue sauce may be used.) Times are estimated. Recipe courtesy The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook.
Provided by Sandi From CA
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place the tempeh in a medium-sized saucepan with water to cover, bring to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Drain the tempeh and pat dry. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the tempeh and cook, turning, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the skillet, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, molasses, mustard, tamari, vinegar and cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, to thicken the sauce slightly and develop the flavors, about 15 minutes.
- Return the tempeh to the sauce and cook for 10 minutes longer, then serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 391.1, Fat 19.5, SaturatedFat 3.5, Sodium 946.7, Carbohydrate 36.6, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 12.7, Protein 24.5
CAROLINA-STYLE PORK BARBECUE
I am originally from North Carolina (where swine is divine) and this recipe for the slow cooker is a family favorite. My husband swears my authentic Carolina 'cue is the best BBQ he has ever eaten! -Kathryn Ransom Williams, Sparks, Nevada
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 14 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Cut roast into quarters. Mix brown sugar, salt, paprika and pepper; rub over meat. Place meat and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker., In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and seasonings; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender., Remove roast; cool slightly. Reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork and reserved juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns with coleslaw.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 453 calories, Fat 22g fat (6g saturated fat), Cholesterol 85mg cholesterol, Sodium 889mg sodium, Carbohydrate 35g carbohydrate (14g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 27g protein.
EASY NORTH CAROLINA BARBEQUE
I just love vinegar-based barbeque. I looked high and low for an easy recipe for North Carolina barbeque; this is it! Be warned; your friends will want the recipe. Eat it with a fork or on rolls with coleslaw.
Provided by Phil
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Trim the fat from the roast; place in slow cooker and cook on Low overnight, at least 8 hours.
- To make the sauce, whisk together the vinegar, melted butter, salt, lemon juice, crushed red pepper, hot sauce, black pepper, and sugar in a bowl.
- Carefully remove the roast to a cutting board. Pull the meat from the bone with a fork. Return the pork to the slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the pulled pork. Simmer for 1 hour more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 448.6 calories, Carbohydrate 4.2 g, Cholesterol 134.1 mg, Fat 37.5 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 23.4 g, SaturatedFat 18.6 g, Sodium 1630.3 mg, Sugar 2.8 g
NORTH CAROLINA-STYLE PULLED PORK BARBECUE
- Prepare the barbecue sauce the day before cooking the meat.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- In a large (6- to 8- quart) ovenproof casserole or flameproof roasting pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat, and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes a side. Remove meat and wipe out casserole.
- Place a rack in the bottom of the casserole. Put the meat on the rack, and cover with 2 1/2 cups barbecue sauce. Cover and cook for about 4 hours, basting occasionally, until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the meat reaches 150 to 180 degrees. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool.
- Gently heat remaining barbecue sauce. When meat is cool enough to handle, trim and discard fat. Shred meat coarsely by hand, or pull it with two forks. Put shredded meat in a large bowl, and toss with warmed sauce. Serve on rolls or slices of white bread, with coleslaw and bread-and-butter pickles on the side.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 315, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 34 grams, Fat 12 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 16 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 838 milligrams, Sugar 24 grams, TransFat 0 grams
NORTH CAROLINA-STYLE BBQ SAUCE
Blending two vinegars helps re-create the BBQ sauce we love from my mother's North Carolina roots. - Gloria McKinley, Lakeland, Florida
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 1-2/3 cups.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 26 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 179mg sodium, Carbohydrate 6g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges
EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE
I have tried a lot of recipes of Eastern North Carolina BBQ Sauce. This is the closest to what you will find in any of the BBQ Restaurants here in North Carolina. It is on the hot side, so you may wish to adjust the cayenne pepper and Tabasco™ sauce for milder flavor.
Provided by RODEO3829
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 4.1 calories, Carbohydrate 0.6 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Sodium 76 mg, Sugar 0.5 g
More about "north carolina style tempeh barbecue recipes"
BBQ TEMPEH RECIPE - PLANT.WELL
5/5 (2)Calories 278 per servingCategory Entrées
- Add all bbq sauce ingredients to a pot over medium heat and bring to a gently boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and continue with a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from heat to slightly cool.
- Chop tempeh into strips and pour bbq sauce over and mix to coat. Allow to marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and arrange tempeh on a baking tray covered in parchment paper, making sure the pieces do not touch.
TANGY CAROLINA BARBECUE SAUCE RECIPE - BUNS IN MY OVEN
BARBECUE TEMPEH RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
EASY BBQ TEMPEH - FOODUZZI
EASY BBQ TEMPEH AND TANGY POWER GREENS RECIPES …
NORTH CAROLINA BARBECUE TURKEY RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
WORLD BEST COFFEE RECIPES: NORTH CAROLINA STYLE TEMPEH BARBECUE
THE BEST VEGAN BBQ TEMPEH SANDWICHES - ZESTFUL KITCHEN
THE BEST MARINATED AND GRILLED TEMPEH RECIPE - THE FIRST …
MARINATED BARBECUED TEMPEH - EAT WELL ENJOY LIFE
17 BARBECUE IDEAS | COOKING RECIPES, RECIPES, BBQ RECIPES
RECIPES > BARBEQUE > HOW TO MAKE NORTH CAROLINA STYLE …
10 OF THE BEST NORTH CAROLINA RECIPES - BIG BEAR'S WIFE
NORTH CAROLINA CHOPPED BARBECUE RECIPE
THE BEST IDEAS FOR BEST EASTERN NC BBQ SAUCE RECIPE
BARBECUED TEMPEH - TEMPEH - WHAT IS TEMPEH?
TEXAS STYLE BARBECUE TEMPEH - MONKEY AND ME KITCHEN ADVENTURES
NORTH CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE, VINEGAR BASED - HEALTHY …
GRILLED BARBECUE TEMPEH | HEALTHY RECIPES | WW CANADA
NORTH CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE - KEVIN IS COOKING
EASY BBQ BAKED TEMPEH - ERIN LIVES WHOLE
EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA-STYLE BARBECUE SAUCE – NORTH CAROLINA …
4 DELICIOUS CAROLINA BBQ RECIPES - HEY GRILL, HEY
EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA-STYLE BARBECUE SAUCE RECIPE
NORTH CAROLINA-STYLE BARBECUE - TASTEATLAS
NORTH CAROLINA PEACH BBQ RAINBOW VEGAN KEBABS W/ TEMPEH, …
EASY VEGAN RIBS | BBQ TEMPEH - EATPLANT-BASED
HOW TO MASTER GRILLED TEMPEH - ORGANIC AUTHORITY
CAROLINA BARBECUE PIT NOW PERFUMING SAN FRANCISCO’S “TEMPEH …
RECIPE FOR NORTH CAROLINA STYLE BARBECUE SAUCE
BBQ TEMPEH - REAL PLANS
NORTH CAROLINA EASTERN STYLE BARBECUE SAUCE RECIPE
CAROLINA STYLE BARBECUE CHICKEN | FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN ... RECIPE
EASTERN CAROLINA TURKEY BARBECUE - TASTE OF SOUTHERN
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #lunch #main-dish #beans #vegan #vegetarian #dietary #one-dish-meal #sandwiches #soy-tofu #tempeh
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook tempeh?This recipe slow cooks tempeh in homemade barbecue sauce (or your fav bottled sauce) to create tender, caramelized tempeh pieces. The bbq tempeh then gets piled onto whole-wheat buns with a simple vinaigrette-based slaw to create the perfect vegetarian bbq sandwich.
What to serve with BBQ Tempeh?If you prefer a creamy slaw, swap out the olive oil in the vinaigrette for vegan mayo (or classic mayo if you don't follow a strict vegan diet). Do you like a thick and sticky BBQ sauce? Use that instead of the Carolina Gold sauce. Looking to cut carbs? Serve the BBQ tempeh in lettuce cups with some quinoa. What is tempeh?
What are the best tips for making North Carolina BBQ sauce?All North Carolina barbecue sauces begin with vinegar. White vinegar can be used, but apple cider vinegar is preferred for the apple flavor it adds to the end result. Mix all of the ingredients together in a saucepan.
How do you cook a North Carolina barbeque?I looked high and low for an easy recipe for North Carolina barbeque; this is it! Be warned; your friends will want the recipe. Eat it with a fork or on rolls with coleslaw. Trim the fat from the roast; place in slow cooker and cook on Low overnight, at least 8 hours.