MASHED PARSNIPS AND POTATOES
- Peel and cut the potatoes and parsnips into even sized pieces. Put them into a large pot, cover them with cold water, and add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until the vegetables are fork tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small pot gently heat the cream and butter over low heat. When the vegetables are done drain them well. Put the vegetables back into the pot over medium heat. Gently stir them to remove any excess moisture; be careful not to burn them. While the potatoes and parsnips are still warm, press them through a potato ricer or food mill into a bowl. Add the warm cream a little at a time and beat with a wooden spoon until the potatoes are fluffy. Season with salt and pepper and gently stir in the chives. Serve immediately.
PARSNIP POTATO GRATIN
Parsnips don't get much space in the produce section. But their subtle sweetness makes them worth the hunt.-Kerry Dingwall, Ponte Vedra, Florida
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Layer the potatoes, onions, parsnips and 3/4 cup cheese in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the flour, salt, pepper; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining cheese., Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and top is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 412 calories, Fat 23g fat (14g saturated fat), Cholesterol 84mg cholesterol, Sodium 268mg sodium, Carbohydrate 42g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 11g protein.
- Put the potatoes and parsnips in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, cover with cold water and salt it generously. Bring the potatoes to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer until fork tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Put the butter and half-and-half in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot.
- Drain the potatoes and parsnips well and return them to the hot pan. Stir the vegetables in the pan to dry them out a bit. Add the hot butter mixture and season with salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped chives.
A slightly different version of the traditional Irish potato and scallion dish adds parsnips and lemon zest. I make this for my annual St. Pat's Day Dinner.
Provided by Cindy Rose
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In pot over high heat combine potatoes and parsnips with enough water to cover; boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer 25-30 minutes and then drain.
- In same pot melt butter over low heat; add scallions and garlic; cook until softened- about 4 minutes.
- Return potatoes and parsnips to pot; remove from heat.
- Add next 4 ingredients; mash.
- Transfer to bowl; dot with additional butter if desired.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
POTATO AND PARSNIP SOUP
This soup never leaves leftovers in my house! It's an old favourite, adapted from my mother's recipe. Parsnips can be found in most grocery stores if you know where to look! I crumble in an extra stock cube as the veggies simmer to add more flavour but if you're using made-from-scratch stock you won't need it!
Provided by Shuzbud
Yield 3-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat the chicken stock in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the parsnips, potatoes, garlic, and nutmeg. Also crumble in the extra stock cube if you're using it.
- Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the onion and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Blend it all in a food processor until smooth.
- Return to the pan, stir in the cream and heat through.
- Serve in warmed bowls.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 477.8, Fat 11.2, SaturatedFat 5.5, Cholesterol 34.4, Sodium 385.5, Carbohydrate 84.9, Fiber 15.8, Sugar 19.6, Protein 13.1
HONEY-MUSTARD PARSNIP & POTATO BAKE
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Tip in the potatoes and parsnips, bring back to the boil and simmer for 5 mins. Gently drain so they don't rough up too much, then tip into a baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a big saucepan, then stir in the flour and cook for 2 mins. Gradually stir in the milk to a smooth, lump-free sauce. Cook gently, stirring constantly, until the sauce is nicely thickened - about 5 mins. Stir in the mustard, honey, vinegar and some seasoning. Pour evenly over the potatoes. Mix the crumbs and cheese together, then scatter over the top and set aside until ready to bake. You can cover the dish and chill for up to 24 hrs before finishing.
- Cook the bake at 200C/180C fan/ gas 6 for 30-40 mins until the top is crisp and golden and the sauce hot through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 502 calories, Fat 16 grams fat, SaturatedFat 9 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 71 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 19 grams sugar, Fiber 11 grams fiber, Protein 13 grams protein, Sodium 0.8 milligram of sodium
PARSNIP LEEK POTATO MASH
- Wash leeks in a bowl of cold water, agitating water to loosen any sand, then lift leeks out and drain in a colander. Pat dry.
- Cook leeks in 4 tablespoons butter, covered, in a4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While leeks are cooking, peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add potatoes, parsnips, water, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg to leeks and bring to a boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender and most of liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Coarsely mash, then serve sprinkled with parsley and topped with remaining tablespoon butter.
MASHED PARSNIPS AND POTATOES
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add leeks, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add parsnips, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes more. Add potatoes and 3 cups cold water; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cook until parsnips and potatoes are very tender and begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes.
- Drain in a colander. Press hot parsnips and potatoes through a ricer back into saucepan over low heat. (Alternatively, mash by hand.) Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the milk, and combine well. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
MASHED POTATO 'N' PARSNIP
"This favorite root vegetables recipe originated with my mother, who loved parsnips," recalls Doreen Saunders of Kingston, Ontario. "I've continued the tradition of serving it for special occasions or Sunday dinners."
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Place the potato, parsnip and carrot in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain. In a small bowl, mash the vegetables with milk, butter, brown sugar and salt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 292 calories, Fat 7g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 17mg cholesterol, Sodium 391mg sodium, Carbohydrate 55g carbohydrate (12g sugars, Fiber 7g fiber), Protein 6g protein.
MASHED POTATOES WITH PARSNIPS
- Peel potatoes and parsnips. Trim off parsnip ends.
- Cut parsnips lengthwise in half. Cut each half crosswise into 1-inch lengths. There should be about 3 cups.
- Cut potatoes into pieces approxi mately the same size. There should be about 4 cups.
- Combine potatoes and parsnips in a casserole or kettle and add cold water to about 1 inch above the level of the vegetables. Bring to a boil and let cook about 15 minutes or until the pieces are tender. Drain well and put through a ricer or food mill.
- Put mixture in a saucepan and add butter, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Beat well to blend. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 243, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 42 grams, Fat 7 grams, Fiber 8 grams, Protein 5 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 749 milligrams, Sugar 7 grams, TransFat 0 grams
- Place the parsnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook until parsnips and potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Drain well and pass the vegetables through a ricer into a medium-size bowl.
- Stir the roasted garlic and the milk into the puree until well combined. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Divide among 4 plates and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 295, UnsaturatedFat 0 grams, Carbohydrate 67 grams, Fat 1 gram, Fiber 10 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 888 milligrams, Sugar 10 grams
POTATO PARSNIP PURéE
- Cover parsnips and potatoes with cold water by 1 inch in a 6- to 8-quart pot, then add 1tablespoon salt and bring to a boil, partially covered. Reduce heat and simmer vegetables, partially covered, until very tender but not falling apart, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring cream, butter, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to a simmer in 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat.
- Drain vegetables in a colander. Force warm vegetables through ricer into cream mixture, then stir to combine well.
More about "parsnip potato champ recipes"
BEST PARSNIP AND POTATO MASH RECIPE - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
Servings 8Total Time 35 minsEstimated Reading Time 3 minsCalories 290 per serving
- Place potatoes and parsnips in large saucepan, add enough cold water to cover and bring to a boil.
CREAMY PARSNIP AND POTATO SOUP | EASY HOMEMADE SOUP RECIPE
IRISH CHAMP - IRISH AMERICAN MOM
POTATO, PARSNIP, AND GORGONZOLA MASH RECIPE | MYRECIPES
PARSNIP RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
TRADITIONAL IRISH CHAMP RECIPE FROM AN IRISH MAMMY
PARSNIP & POTATO MASH | COOK FOR YOUR LIFE
POTATO AND PARSNIP RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
EASY TRADITIONAL IRISH CHAMP RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
PARSNIP POTATO SOUP RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
PARSNIP AND POTATO MASH RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE PARSNIP AND
POTATO AND PARSNIP RECIPES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
OVEN ROASTED POTATOES AND PARSNIPS - THE BOJON GOURMET
19 AWESOME PARSNIP RECIPES FOR MAINS, SIDES, AND MORE
PARSNIP WITH POTATO - 10 RECIPES - PETITCHEF
HOW TO COOK PARSNIPS: SIMPLE, DELICIOUS PARSNIP RECIPES
PARSNIP AND POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - TESCO REAL FOOD
POTATO PARSNIP MASH - SKINNYTASTE
PARSNIP AND POTATO MASH WITH SPICED ONIONS - THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
PARSNIP RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
PARSNIP AND POTATO MASH RECIPE | MYRECIPES
PARSNIP CARROT AND POTATO PUREE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
PARSNIP AND POTATO RöSTI – OLIVE MAGAZINE
PARSNIP-POTATO MASH RECIPE
PARSNIP AND POTATO HASH RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
PARSNIP AND POTATO HASH - RECIPES LIST
PARSNIP AND POTATO MASH - CHATELAINE
SWEET POTATO TURNIP PARSNIP RECIPE
PARSNIP CHAMP RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
PARSNIP AND POTATO MASH | RECIPE | MASH RECIPE, PARSNIPS, POTATOES
PARSNIP-POTATO CHAMP RECIPE - FOOD.COM | RECIPE | PARSNIPS, …
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #low-protein #side-dishes #potatoes #vegetables #european #holiday-event #irish #dietary #low-calorie #st-patricks-day #low-in-something
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook parsnips like potatoes?Cook parsnip pieces 10 minutes, or until they are fork-tender. Return to the saucepan, or pour into a large bowl. Use a fork or potato masher to coarsely mash the parsnip pieces. You can season with butter and cream, the way you would mashed potatoes.
What do you put in parsnip and potato soup?This Parsnip and Potato Soup is creamy, slightly sweet, and everything you want in a homemade soup. Melt the butter in a large heavy pot and pour in the olive oil. Add the chopped parsnips, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
How to make Champ and colcannon with mashed potatoes?Champ and colcannon can be made using leftover mashed potatoes. Simply heat the milk and green onions and add it to the cold mashed potatoes. Then, transfer to an oven proof dish and reheat for about 15 minutes in a 350-degree oven. This tastes lovely, but champ is best when made with freshly boiled potatoes.
What is the best way to cook parsnips and carrots?Melt the butter in a large heavy pot and pour in the olive oil. Add the chopped parsnips, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.