This oven-roasted chicken can also be spatchcocked and barbecued. If you don't like it too hot, adjust the amount of chillies in the piri-piri marinade
Provided by Tom Kerridge
Categories Dinner, Main course
Yield Serves 4-6
Number Of Ingredients 10
- To make the marinade, tip the dried chillies and the vinegar into a pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave the chillies to soak until the vinegar is cold. Put the red chillies, garlic, soaked dried chillies and vinegar in a food processor and blitz. Add the smoked paprika, oregano, thyme, sugar, a pinch of salt and the lemon juice. Blitz again to a paste and set aside.
- Sit the chicken in a shallow dish and use a small knife to score all over with cuts 1cm deep. Make sure you do the legs and the underside. Tip the marinade over the chicken and massage into the cuts. Cover and chill for at least 4 hrs, but overnight would be better.
- When you're ready to cook, heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Roast the chicken for 1 hr, then turn the heat up to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and cook for a further 30-35 mins until a crust has formed on the outside of the chicken.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 30 mins. Serve with homemade wedges or jacket potatoes, coleslaw, some buttered corn cobs and chilli & mint peas.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 353 calories, Fat 20 grams fat, SaturatedFat 5 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 2 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 1 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 42 grams protein, Sodium 0.3 milligram of sodium
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN
- Use rubber gloves to mince the chiles and place into a mixing bowl. Add cilantro, garlic, vegetable oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt, and black pepper. Mix piri piri sauce well.
- Place chicken breasts and legs into a resealable plastic bag. Pour in piri piri sauce, seal the bag, and shake gently to completely cover chicken. Put the bag in the refrigerator to marinate at least 4 hours.
- Remove bag from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking to allow chicken to come to room temperature.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove chicken from the bag; discard bag and cilantro. Cook chicken on the preheated grill, rotating as necessary to cook evenly, until juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), about 25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 500.9 calories, Carbohydrate 6.3 g, Cholesterol 175.2 mg, Fat 28.1 g, Fiber 1.6 g, Protein 54.3 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, Sodium 1345.1 mg, Sugar 1.8 g
Piri-piri chicken is a spicy dish with roots in both Africa and Portugal. The dish was created in Angola and Mozambique when Portuguese settlers arrived with chile peppers (known as piri-piri in Swahili). Timing note: The chicken needs to marinate for at least four hours before being grilled.
Provided by Steven Raichlen
Yield 2-4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 19
- For glaze:
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cilantro and garlic; cook until garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add piri-piri sauce and lemon juice. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2 minutes. DO AHEAD: Glaze can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm before using.
- For chicken:
- Finely chop cilantro, ginger, shallot, and garlic in processor. Add piri-piri sauce, 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, coarse salt, and pepper; process marinade to blend.
- Place chicken, skin side up, on work surface. Using palm of hand, press on breastbone to flatten chicken. Tuck wing tips under. Pour half of marinade into 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Open chicken like book; place skin side down in single layer in dish. Pour remaining marinade over. Cover; chill at least 4 hours or overnight, turning chicken occasionally.
- Remove top rack from barbecue. Prepare barbecue (medium heat). If using 2-burner gas grill, light 1 burner. If using 3-burner gas grill, do not light center burner. If using charcoal grill, light briquettes in chimney and pour onto 1 side of lower grill rack. Place disposable aluminum pan on unlit part of grill. Place upper grill rack on barbecue; brush with oil.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Arrange skin side up on grill rack above drip pan. Cover barbecue; grill until skin is browned and instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°F, turning often, about 40 minutes. Transfer to platter. Pour warm glaze over.
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN DIP RECIPE BY TASTY
- Fry the chicken in a little oil for a few minutes until cooked through.
- Stir in the cream cheese until it's melted.
- Stir in the piri piri sauce.
- Transfer all of this to an oven-safe dish and top with grated cheese.
- Grill (broil) for 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve with a selection of crackers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1103 calories, Carbohydrate 16 grams, Fat 79 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 78 grams, Sugar 11 grams
PERI PERI CHICKEN FEAST RECIPE BY TASTY
Here's what you need: chicken, olive oil, white vinegar, bird-eye chillis, garlic, medium onions, dried oregano, paprika, sugar, salt, pepper, roasted pepper, lemon, chip, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, white pepper, salt, mayonnaise, hummus
Provided by Evelyn Liu
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Remove the chicken's backbone by using a pair of kitchen scissors. Turn it over and flatten it down to spread the chicken out as much as possible.
- Blend together all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor and spread half of it over the chicken.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Roast in the centre of a preheated oven for 60 minutes at 200°C (400°F), or until the thickest part of the thigh is 75°C. Once the chicken is cooked through, allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Simmer the other half of the marinade for 2-3 minutes to make the Peri Peri sauce.
- Use as a dip for your chicken or mix some into mayonnaise or hummus!
- To make Peri Peri Chips, just shake some smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder and white pepper into your chips!
PORTUGUESE PIRI PIRI CHICKEN
Posted by request; from The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook. Prep time includes LOTS of marinating time.
Provided by Lennie
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In large glass bowl, combine all ingredients except chicken; mix well.
- Add chicken, turning to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally; can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours if you want to make it ahead.
- Reserving marinade, place chicken, skin side down, on a greased grill over medium heat; close lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn and brush with marinade; cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.
- For a less spicy version, replace above marinade with Portuguese Paprika Marinade: 1/3 cup dry white wine, 1 tsp grated lemon rind, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce, and 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
PERI PERI AFRICAN CHICKEN
This is a great spicy marinade recipe, a traditional African dish, great for BBQ. Nice with salad and fries, but I like adding it to a pita with salad and garlic Greek yogurt (3/4 cup Greek yogurt and 3 cloves of crushed garlic with finely chopped chives). Don't go on a date though, gives you wicked garlic breath!
Provided by UKNO1CHEF
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a large bowl, stir together the paprika, chili powder, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and salt. Rub chicken with the mixture, place in a dish, and marinate for 3 hours.
- Preheat a grill for medium heat.
- Place chicken onto the grill and discard the marinade. Cook for about 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until the skin is slightly charred and juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 348.4 calories, Carbohydrate 12.1 g, Cholesterol 126.6 mg, Fat 13.3 g, Fiber 4.2 g, Protein 46.8 g, SaturatedFat 3.6 g, Sodium 1022.6 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
More about "piri piri chicken recipes"
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE - PUREWOW
4.6/5 (18)Total Time 4 hrs 55 minsServings 4Calories 602 per serving
- In a blender, combine the onion, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, chiles, ginger, salt, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, oregano, cayenne, and ¼ cup water. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Dry the chicken with paper towels. Using sharp kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut along one side of the backbone, leaving the other side attached. Lay the chicken breast-side up on a cutting board and press down on the breastbone with your hands to flatten the chicken. Put the chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Massage the marinade all over the chicken, then squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible and seal. Place it on a baking sheet with the chicken breast-side down and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting any excess drip off (discard the bag). Place the chicken in the prepared roasting pan and roast on the bottom rack for 40 to 45 minutes, until the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. Use a turkey baster or large spoon to baste the chicken with the rendered juices in the pan.
PERI PERI CHICKEN RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Healthy MealsCalories 514 per serving
- Pick the thyme leaves into a pestle and mortar, peel and add 1 garlic clove, then add the paprika and a pinch of sea salt.
PIRI-PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE & TANDOORI POTATOES | THE LITTLE POTATO …
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN – SMITTEN KITCHEN
SAN FRANCISCO CHEF SHARES PORTUGUESE PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE
CRISPY SPICY PIRI PIRI SPATCHCOCK CHICKEN - CHILLI & LIFE
10 BEST PIRI PIRI SAUCE RECIPES | YUMMLY
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN WITH CRISPY POTATOES RECIPE - KAY CHUN
BAKED PIRI PIRI CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
PORTUGUESE GRILLED PIRI PIRI CHICKEN - HOMEMADE NANDO'S …
PIRI-PIRI CHICKEN - EASY PORTUGUESE RECIPES
PIRI-PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN ~ PORTUGUESE BBQ CHICKEN AT HOME - I COOK AND …
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE - MEAL PLAN ADDICT
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN – PORTUGUESE GRILLED CHICKEN
MOZAMBIQUE: PIRI PIRI CHICKEN - SPICY AND FLAVORFUL IN ALL THE RIGHT ...
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT PIRI PIRI CHICKEN – RECIPE
PIRI PIRI ROAST CHICKEN - PINCH OF NOM
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN - AFRICAN - WORLDRECIPES.ORG
JAMIE OLIVER’S 30 MINUTE MEALS: PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE
AUTHENTIC PORTUGUESE PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE - I REALLY LIKE FOOD
PIRI PIRI FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE - SIMPLYRECIPES.COM
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE | FOOD & WINE
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN - IMMACULATE BITES
THE BEST PIRI PIRI CHICKEN WITH POTATOES DINNER RECIPE
PIRI-PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE - BBC FOOD
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
PIRI-PIRI CHICKEN | CHICKEN RECIPES | SBS FOOD
NANDO'S PERI PERI CHICKEN RECIPE | PIRI PIRI CHICKEN (VIDEO) » …
PIRI-PIRI BARBECUED CHICKEN | CANADIAN LIVING
PIRI-PIRI CHICKEN CASSEROLE | CANADIAN LIVING
EASY PIRI-PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE - BBC FOOD
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE - SPATCHCOCK SHEET PAN PIRI PIRI CHICKEN
SOUTH AFRICAN PERI PERI CHICKEN - AFRICAN FOOD NETWORK
CHICKEN PIRI-PIRI RECIPE | MYRECIPES
ONE-PAN PIRI PIRI CHICKEN DINNER RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN + VIDEO - FIT SLOW COOKER QUEEN
WHAT IS PIRI PIRI SAUCE – GALAXY TRAINING
THE SECRET OF PIRI-PIRI CHICKEN (PERI PERI CHICKEN) RECIPE | DON'T …
BEST PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE PIRI PIRI CHICKEN
WHAT TO SERVE WITH PIRI PIRI CHICKEN: 11 EASY SIDES
PIRI PIRI CHICKEN ~ BORN IN PORTUGAL, INSPIRED BY HUNGARY
Piri Piri Chicken!233K views-07:08
HOMEMADE PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE67K views-07:41
Piri Piri Chicken~How to make Portuguese BBQ Chicken at home plus how to spatchcock a chicken28K views-07:00
BBQ PIRI PIRI CHICKEN RECIPE35K views-07:36
How To Grill -- Tasty Roast chicken piri piri recipe206K views-08:02
Piri Piri Chicken Recipe1.4K views-03:23
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make South African piri piri chicken?A delicious recipe for South African Piri-Piri chicken, featuring tender chicken breasts simmered in a spiced lemon and onion sauce. Easy and different! In a large bowl, whisk together everything except for the chicken. Add the chicken and toss with tongs to coat in the marinade.
How long do you cook chicken in piri piri marinade?3) Reserving the marinade, place the chicken, skin side down, on a greased grill over medium heat; close lid and cook for 10 minutes. 4) Turn and brush with marinade; cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until well browned. 5) Once done, serve with the 2 tablespoons of piri-piri sauce in a bowl for dipping on the side.
How to cook piri piri sauce on a griddle?Remove the chicken from the oven and brush your prepared Piri Piri Sauce all over. Add the chicken pieces to your hot griddle pan and cook for 2 minutes, or until browned and starting to char. Flip the chicken over and continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until browned on the opposite side.
Do you remove the marinade from piri piri?I grew up eating and cooking the Piri-Piri chicken. As most who read the reviews advised, never get rid of the remaining marinade. It's the life of the chicken. You need to baste it on the chicken while grilling, as the chicken can run dry. And that is where all the flavour is.