SLOW-ROASTED CRISPY PORK BELLY
Recipe video above. This is a pork belly that's slow-roasted so the fat renders and cooks the belly confit-style in its own fat. The result? Ridiculously juicy, impossibly tender yet still-sliceable meat, crowned with the most amazing crispy crackling of your life. It comes down to three simple, game-changing techniques: 1. Do NOT score the skin; 2. Low heat followed by high heat; 3. Keep the pork level using balls of foil.Perfect meat, perfect crackling ... Every. Single. Time! (Read the post for all the details on how to do it right!)
Provided by Nagi
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Dry skin overnight: Place pork belly on a plate. Pat skin dry with paper towels. Leave uncovered in fridge overnight to dry out the skin. (If you don't have time, pat the skin dry as best you can).
- Preheat oven to 140°C/285°F (120°C fan).
- Season flesh: Drizzle flesh (only) with 1 tsp oil. Sprinkle over 1/2 tsp salt, the pepper and fennel powder. Rub all over the flesh, including on the sides, being sure you get right into all the cracks and crevices.
- Wrap in foil: Place 2 pieces of foil on a work surface. Put the belly in middle of foil, skin side up. Fold the sides in to enclose the belly, forming an open box, pinching corners to seal tightly and make it as snug as possible. Place meat on a tray.
- Season skin: Pat skin dry with paper towels. Rub with 1/2 tsp oil then sprinkle remaining 1/2 tsp salt evenly all over the skin surface, from edge to edge.
- Slow roast 2 1/2 hours: Place in the oven and roast for 2 1/2 hours. After 1 1/2 hours, remove and tighten the foil (pork will have shrunk), and continue cooking. This keeps the pork fat level up as high as possible, and the flesh protected so it stays moist.
- Increase heat: Remove pork from oven, then increase heat to 240°C/465°F (all oven types).
- Level pork: Remove pork from foil and place on a rack set over a tray (using rack is best, but optional). Use scrunched up balls of foil stuffed under pork to prop up so the skin surface is as level and horizontal as possible (see photos in post).
- 30 minutes on high heat! Place the pork back in the oven for 30 minutes, rotating after 15 minutes as needed, until the crackling is deep golden, puffy and crispy all over. If some patches are browning faster, protect with foil patches.
- Rest 10 minutes: Remove pork from oven. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serving: Slice into 2cm / ⅘"-thick slices using a serrated knife. Pictured in post with Apple Sauce and Vermouth Jus, with a side of Cauliflower Puree (Note 2)! See directions in post for how to plate it up as pictured (fine dining style!), as well as a list of more sauce options.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1313 kcal, Carbohydrate 1 g, Protein 23 g, Fat 135 g, SaturatedFat 49 g, Cholesterol 180 mg, Sodium 661 mg, Fiber 1 g, ServingSize 1 serving
PORK BELLY ROAST
- Preheat the oven to its highest temperature.
- Using a Stanley knife, score the skin down to the meat (try not to cut the meat), making the cuts very close together.
- Bash the fennel seeds and a good pinch of sea salt in a pestle and mortar to a powder.
- Tip the oil over the top of the scored skin, then sprinkle over the fennel mixture, and rub all over so that everything gets into the scores and down into the meat.
- Roughly chop the carrots and celery, then throw these into a roasting tray. Break the garlic bulb up into unpeeled cloves, peel and chop the onions into large wedges, then toss into the tray with the thyme sprigs.
- Put the seasoned pork belly on top of the vegetables in the tray, then roast for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the skin starts to bubble and turn golden brown.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 170°C/325°F/gas 3, and roast for 1 hour 30 minutes. When the time's up, carefully open the oven door and pour in three-quarters of the wine. Cook for 1 further hour.
- Remove the meat carefully from the oven and test to see if it pulls apart easily. If not, cook for a little longer. Allow the meat to rest while you make the gravy.
- Put the tray of roasted vegetables directly onto your hob over a medium heat add, add the flour, then stir together until thick. Cook for 1 minute then add in the remaining wine - if you sauce is too thick add a splash more wine or water.
- Using a potato masher, mash up the vegetables until you have a delicious thick-looking sauce. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on a low heat, season to taste, then strain through a sieve into a jug.
- Remove the crackling from the top of the belly and break up into pieces, pull the pork belly apart, and serve with the jug of gravy on the side, and a selection of seasonal vegetables.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 647 calories, Fat 41.7 g fat, SaturatedFat 10.8 g saturated fat, Protein 29 g protein, Carbohydrate 22 g carbohydrate, Sugar 9.9 g sugar, Sodium 1.1 g salt, Fiber 2.3 g fibre
ROASTED PORK BELLY
- Combine paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, and cayenne pepper in a bowl; rub onto the non-fat side of pork belly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate, at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove plastic wrap from pork belly and place pork belly, fat-side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Make shallow cuts into the fat of the pork belly in a checkered pattern. Rub lemon juice into the fat.
- Roast in the preheated oven until fat begins to brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and continue cooking until fat is crispy, about 1 hour more. Remove from oven and let rest 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 207.3 calories, Carbohydrate 1.6 g, Cholesterol 41.1 mg, Fat 15.7 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 14 g, SaturatedFat 5.2 g, Sodium 1082.2 mg, Sugar 0.2 g
SLOW-ROAST BELLY OF PORK
- If you have the pork bones, roast them until browned, then transfer to a pan and cover with 1 litre chicken stock. Gently simmer for 1 hr, skimming off any scum that comes to the surface (you will need about 500ml for the gravy). If you don't have pork bones, don't worry about this stage.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the pork on a wire rack in a roasting tray, skin side up, and cook for 1½ hrs. increase oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and cook for a further 15-20 mins to crisp the skin. Remove the pork from the tin and allow to rest for 45 mins.
- To make the gravy, remove all the fat from the bottom of the roasting tin. Add the butter and heat to melt. Tip in the flour and cook for 1-2 mins, scraping the bottom of the pan. Gradually stir in 500ml stock and cook for 5 mins until thick.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 576 calories, Fat 42 grams fat, SaturatedFat 17 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 3 grams carbohydrates, Protein 48 grams protein, Sodium 0.65 milligram of sodium
BRINED AND ROASTED PORK BELLY
- Combine sugar, salt and spices in a large pot. Add 4 1/4 quarts water, and bring to a boil. Cool, then transfer to a large bowl and add pork. Let stand, loosely covered, for 3 days in refrigerator.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place onions in a roasting pan. Rinse pork, score skin with a sharp knife and place on onions. Rub skin with a bit of olive oil, and season lightly with sea salt. Roast, uncovered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours; do not let burn. Skin should be crisp; if not, transfer to hot broiler. Cut pork in thick slices, and serve with onions.
More about "pork belly roast recipes"
CRISPY SLOW-ROASTED PORK BELLY RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.2/5 (416)Total Time 3 hrs 5 minsCategory Entree, DinnerCalories 361 per serving
21 EASY PORK BELLY RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
HOW TO COOK PORK BELLY LIKE A PRO | ALLRECIPES
CANTONESE ROAST PORK BELLY - THE WOKS OF LIFE
SLOW ROASTED PORK BELLY RECIPE | GORDON RAMSAY RECIPE
PORK BELLY ROAST | RICARDO
CRISPY ROAST PORK BELLY (脆皮燒肉) - CHRISTINE'S RECIPES
THESE SLOW ROASTED PORK BELLY STRIPS ARE LIKE SEX ON A …
CRISPY ROAST PORK BELLY RECIPE - BBC FOOD
10 BEST PORK BELLY RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHINESE CRISPY PORK BELLY | RECIPETIN EATS
BEST ROAST PORK BELLY RECIPE | OLIVEMAGAZINE
CRISPY ROASTED PORK BELLY RECIPE | ROAST RECIPES | SBS …
THE HAIRY BIKERS' ROAST BELLY OF PORK RECIPE
PERFECT PORK BELLY | JAMIE OLIVER ROAST PORK RECIPES
ROAST PORK BELLY WITH CRACKLING RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
ROAST PORK BELLY RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
HOW TO COOK PORK BELLY - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
FOOL PROOF ROAST PORK BELLY | AUSTRALIAN PORK
ROASTED PORK BELLY | KEVIN IS COOKING
HOW TO ROAST PORK BELLY | GOODTO
SIMPLE WAY TO MAKE PERFECT PORK BELLY ROAST | SUPER EASY RECIPES
SMOKED PORK BELLY - THE SLOW ROASTED ITALIAN
BEST CRISPY ROASTED PORK BELLY RECIPE | HOW TO COOK PORK BELLY
HOW TO COOK PORK BELLY (CRISPY PORK BELLY RECIPE)
TASTETORONTO | CRISPY ROASTED PORK BELLY
OVEN-BAKED PORK BELLY SLICES - HEALTHY RECIPES BLOG
ROAST PORK BELLY RECIPE - BBC FOOD
ULTIMATE PORK BELLY | JAMIE OLIVER - YOUTUBE
ROASTED PORK BELLY RECIPE (JUICY & CRISPY) | KITCHN
SLOW ROAST PORK BELLY | NIGELLA'S RECIPES | NIGELLA LAWSON
PORK BELLY ROAST WITH CRISPY CRACKLING - UNLOCK THE SECRET
HOW TO COOK PORK BELLY | BBC GOOD FOOD
CHINESE ROAST PORK (BETTER THAN CHINATOWN!) - RASA MALAYSIA
OVEN ROASTED PORK BELLY KAISER RECIPE | ONTARIO PORK
24 PORK BELLY RECIPES | OLIVEMAGAZINE
ROAST PORK BELLY - HOW TO MAKE CHINESE ROAST PORK 烧肉 / SIEW YOKE
CRACKLY PORK BELLY WITH CRUNCHY SALAD RECIPE
SLOW-ROASTED CRISPY PORK BELLY - MARION'S KITCHEN
PORK BELLY IN THE SLOW COOKER - A FOOD LOVER'S KITCHEN
BRITISH-STYLE ROAST PORK BELLY RECIPE | HELLOFRESH
CRISPY PORK BELLY - ANNABEL LANGBEIN – RECIPES
PORK BELLY ROAST | PORK RECIPES | WEBER GRILLS
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #very-low-carbs #main-dish #pork #european #dinner-party #english #dietary #low-sodium #low-carb #low-in-something #meat #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love