DANISH RICE PUDDING WITH ALMONDS
This is a Christmas favorite that allow us to enjoy the wonderful rich flavors and festive colors of this dessert. It is a rice pudding like no other. On Christmas it is a tradition to add a whole almond to the bowl. The one who gets it, wins a prize.
Provided by Linda Pedersen
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil, and then add rice. Reduce heat to simmer, and continue cooking for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a small saucepan, mix the sherry and gelatin; stir over low heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in the sugar until completely dissolved, and then stir in vanilla. Stir into the rice with the chopped almonds. Refrigerate.
- Pour cream into a bowl, and whip until light and fluffy soft peaks appear. Fold into chilled rice pudding. Serve in small bowls, topped with frozen raspberries.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 364.4 calories, Carbohydrate 41.2 g, Cholesterol 60.9 mg, Fat 19.4 g, Fiber 3.2 g, Protein 6.5 g, SaturatedFat 10.4 g, Sodium 52.7 mg, Sugar 27.7 g
DANISH CHRISTMAS RICE PUDDING WITH ALMONDS AND WARM CHERRY SAUCE
Danish Christmas rice pudding with warm cherry sauce or Risalamande is traditionally served on Christmas Eve. Whoever finds the hidden almond receives a small gift. I like this recipe because it is cooked entirely on the stove top and cooks in one hour, rather than in the oven for two hours or more. Can be made in advance and refrigerated until serving time. The Danes often buy a store bought cherry sauce, but I've included a recipe for home-made. :) Adapted from an online source.
Provided by BecR2400
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Split half of the vanilla pod length ways, scrape out the seeds.
- Place the milk and vanilla in a heavy-bottomed pan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat. Add the rice gradually, stirring constantly.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil again.
- When the milk boils, reduce the heat, cover and simmer on a very low heat for about 1 hour or until the rice is cooked. Stir from time to time, making sure that the rice doesn't stick too much to the bottom.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Whip the cream together with sugar. Fold the whipped cream and almonds into the rice. You can add more sugar or more almonds if you wish. Serve with warm cherry sauce.
- Now make the cherry sauce. Place the cherries in a medium saucepan. Add sugar and 1 1/2 cups water. Add the vanilla pod. Simmer until the cherries are tender.
- Combine the potato starch with 2 tablespoons cold water.
- Bring the cherries to a boil. Remove the vanilla pod from the pot. Reduce the heat, and , stirring constantly, slowly pour the water with the starch. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve warm over the rice pudding. Garnish with a fresh mint leaf, if desired.
- * I used frozen sour cherries in this recipe, but regular sweet cherries should work as well.
RICE PUDDING WITH ALMONDS AND CHERRY SAUCE
- Combine milk, 5 tablespoons sugar and rice in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice is tender and mixture is thick, stirring frequently, about 35 minutes. Discard vanilla bean. Mix in almonds. Pour rice pudding into 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan; cool completely.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl until medium peaks form. Fold cream into rice pudding mixture in pan. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
- Cook cherries, lemon and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until cherries are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Discard lemon. Spoon pudding into bowls. Spoon hot cherry sauce over.
DANISH RICE PUDDING WITH DRIED CHERRY SAUCE
- Cook the rice, milk, and sugar in a heavy-bottomed 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until the rice is tender and the milk is absorbed, 30-40 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract, almonds, and sherry. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the pudding into a bowl and chill for at least 1 hour. Whip the cream in an electric mixer on high speed (or by hand) until soft peaks form and then get a little firmer, and fold into the chilled pudding. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with warm or cold cherry sauce.
- Dried Cherry Sauce
- Place the cherries in a small saucepan with the wine, 1/2 cup water, and the sugar or jelly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the cherries are tender and the juice is syrupy (approximately 10 minutes).
More about "rice pudding with almonds and cherry sauce recipes"
ALMOND RICE PUDDING WITH SWEET CHERRY SAUCE AND CARAMEL ...
Servings 8Total Time 2 hrsCategory Desserts, Pudding Recipes
- Bring 1 1/4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the milk and one of the vanilla bean pods and its seeds and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Immediately stir in 6 tablespoons of the sugar and 2 pinches of salt. Let cool, then discard the vanilla bean pod. Cover the rice pudding and refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/4 cup of the cherry juice with 1/2 cup of the sugar and the remaining vanilla bean pod and its seeds and bring to a boil over high heat. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1 3/4 cups of cherry juice with the cornstarch and pour into the saucepan. Continue to cook over high heat, whisking, until the sauce turns clear, about 4 minutes. Discard the vanilla bean pod. Stir in the cherries and keep the sauce warm.
- In another medium saucepan, cook the remaining 1 cup of sugar over moderate heat, stirring, until a golden caramel forms, about 9 minutes; brush down the side of the pan with a wet pastry brush if crystals form. While whisking, slowly and carefully pour the boiling water into the caramel. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat 1 1/4 cups of the cream until soft peaks form. Using a spatula, fold the caramel into the whipped cream.
RICE PUDDING WITH CHERRIES RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
Servings 16Total Time 2 hrs 55 minsCategory DessertCalories 315 per serving
- Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In 2-quart saucepan, heat milk to simmering over medium heat. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat. In slow cooker, mix milk mixture and whipping cream with whisk. Stir in rice.
- Stir cherries, vanilla and almond extract into pudding. Cover; cook 15 minutes longer. Serve warm, or cool completely, then cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours until chilled. Garnish with orange peel and almonds. Store covered in refrigerator.
RISALAMANDE (DANISH RICE PUDDING) WITH CHERRY SAUCE
4.7/5 (11)Category DessertCuisine DanishTotal Time 1 hr 10 mins See details »
RICE PUDDING WITH WARM CHERRY SAUCE | RECIPES | HOWDENS
See details »
RISALAMANDE DANISH RICE PUDDING RECIPE | RECIPES.NET
Servings 4Total Time 9 hrs 30 minsCategory PuddingCalories 1459 per serving
- Slice the vanilla beans in half, and scrape off the seeds. Stir in the extracted seeds to the pudding mixture along with sugar.
- Turn the heat down to low and let the pudding mixture simmer for around 35 minutes under a lid. Regularly stir the pudding to prevent the rice from burning at the bottom of the saucepan.
WHITE CHOCOLATE RICE PUDDING & DRIED CHERRY SAUCE RECIPE ...
Servings 8Total Time 1 hr
- Combine water and rice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into pan. Stir seeds, pod, sugar, half-and-half, and salt into rice. Cook over medium-low heat 30 minutes, stirring often. Remove vanilla bean pod. Add white chocolate morsels, stirring until melted. Let cool 5 minutes. Spoon rice pudding into 8 individual serving dishes. If not serving immediately, cover and chill. When ready to serve, top with Dried Cherry Sauce, and sprinkle with almonds.
RICE PUDDING WITH HOT CHERRY SAUCE RECIPE | DELICIOUS ...
4.3/5 (3)Servings 8Cuisine Scandinavian RecipesCategory British Puddings
- Split one of the vanilla pods lengthways, keeping the two halves attached at one end. Bring 300ml water to the boil in a large, heavy-based pan, then add the rice and boil for 2 minutes, while stirring. Add the milk and split vanilla pod, stirring until it returns to a boil. Cover and cook for 25 minutes, stirring often so it doesn’t burn. Remove from the heat and add the salt. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes, then stir in the sugar and leave until cold or overnight.
- Roughly chop all the almonds except for one, which must be left whole for the game (see below). Split the second vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds with the tip of a knife and add them to the rice. Whip the cream in a bowl until it forms soft peaks. Fold one third into the rice to loosen, then fold in the rest. Add the chopped almonds. Taste the pudding: it should be sweet with a flavour of vanilla. Push the whole almond down into the pudding; it should be well hidden.
- To make the hot cherry sauce, mix the cherries, sugar and split vanilla pod with 500ml water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Mix the cornflour with 3 tbsp cold water in a cup or small bowl. Slowly add it to the cherries until they thicken, stirring constantly, and season to taste with more sugar, if you want. Serve the cold rice pudding with the hot cherry sauce.
RISALAMANDE RECIPE | A DANISH RICE PUDDING CHRISTMAS DESSERT.
5/5 (3)Category DessertCuisine DanishTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Add rice, milk, sugar and a pinch of salt to pot and heat until small bubbles start to form around edge of pot. Stir occasionally.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the rice pudding. Serve in bowls or cups, topped with the warm cherry sauce.
RISALAMANDE (DANISH RICE PUDDING) - LAVENDER & MACARONS
4.7/5 (13)Calories 315 per servingCategory Dessert
- In a medium sauce pan combine rice, water and put it on a medium heat. When water starts to boil, add milk, vanilla extract, sugar and salt.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stirring occasionally cook until rice absorbs all water and is soft, about 30 minutes. Remove rice from the heat, stir in chopped almonds and let the rice cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine heavy cream and powdered sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream on a medium speed until stiff peaks. Fold whipped cream into the cooled rice and almond mixture.
RISALAMANDE (DANISH ALMOND RICE PUDDING) - THE DARING GOURMET
4.8/5 (32)Total Time 50 minsCategory DessertCalories 656 per serving
- Bring the rice, salt, lemon zest, sugar and water to a boil in a medium-sized stock pot. Boil for 3 minutes, add the milk and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, increasing the frequency during the last 10 minutes to prevent scorching. Stir in the chopped blanched almonds.
- Beat the cream until it starts to thicken. Add the sugar, vanilla bean paste and almond extract and beat until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over-beat. Stir the cream mixture into the rice pudding.(Note: The rice will may be very stiff. Stir it to loosen it up and then stir it more after the cream has been added to break up any clumps.)
RISALAMANDE - DANISH RICE DESSERT WITH CREAM AND ALMONDS
4.3/5 (18)Category DessertCuisine DanishTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Heat some water until boiling point and pour it in a small bowl. Add the almonds and let them soak in the hot water for about 5-7 minutes. One-by-one take the almonds up and press them between two fingers so that the peel separates from the almond. Add more hot water if needed. It should be easy to skin the almonds.
CINNAMON RICE PUDDING WITH DRIED-CHERRY SAUCE RECIPE ...
4/5 (2)Calories 290 per servingServings 8
- To prepare pudding, combine first 4 ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain.
- Return rice and cinnamon stick to pan; stir in milk, 1/2 cup sugar, and ground cinnamon. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Discard cinnamon stick. Remove from heat; stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
- To prepare sauce, combine cherries and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar; cook 5 minutes. Combine 1 tablespoon water and cornstarch. Add to cherry mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Serve pudding with sauce.
RISALAMANDE - HOW TO MAKE THE CLASSIC DANISH CHRISTMAS ...
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
DANISH CHRISTMAS RICE PUDDING WITH CHERRY SAUCE - BLOGGER
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
THE HAIRY BIKERS' ALMOND RICE PUDDING RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Category Desserts See details »
SCANDINAVIAN RICE PUDDING WITH HOT CHERRY SAUCE - BBC
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
DANISH RICE PUDDING WITH ALMONDS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
See details »
RISALAMANDE (DANISH ALMOND RICE PUDDING) | RECIPE | RICE ...
See details »
CHERRY-ALMOND RICE PUDDING - NICK STELLINO
See details »
CREAMY RICE PUDDING WITH EASY CHERRY COMPOTE | CANADIAN LIVING
See details »
ALMOND RICE PUDDING WITH DRIED CHERRIES RECIPES
See details »
WHITE CHOCOLATE RICE PUDDING CHERRIES AND ALMONDS RECIPES
See details »
DANISH CHRISTMAS RICE PUDDING WITH ALMONDS AND WARM CHERRY ...
See details »
#danish #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #desserts #fruit #scandinavian #easy #european #vegetarian #puddings-and-mousses #dietary #pitted-fruit #cherries #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love