ST. JOSEPH'S DAY CREAM PUFFS / SFINGI DI SAN GIUSEPPE
This is a traditional Italian pastry made on March 19 in celebration of the feast of St. Joseph. The traditional filling for these cream puffs is sweetened ricotta, however a vanilla or almond flavored pasticciera (pastry) cream may be used instead. This recipe should make at least 16-20 sfingi.....depending on how small or large you make the circles, you may end up with more or less shells. Note: If you can't find Impastata ricotta (aka pastry or cannoli ricotta), regular ricotta will work well if you drain it well (preferably overnight), and then beat it (or use food processor or blender) until very creamy.
Provided by Dee514
Yield 16-20 Sfingi
Number Of Ingredients 13
- For cream puffs: Combing butter, salt and water in a sauce pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add flour all at one time, mixing well by hand (with a wooden spoon), until the dough forms a ball and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove pan from heat, and let cool a little.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add sugar and grated lemon and orange peels, and mix thoroughly (dough should have a slight gloss or sheen to it).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large sheet (or jelly roll) pan with parchment.
- Attach a# 4 tip (large star tip) to a pastry bag.
- Fill the pastry bag with the dough, and squeezing the dough through the bag, form donut shaped circles on the parchment, be careful that you do not move the bag too quickly or the dough will be stretched too thin.
- The dough circles should be about 1 inch thick.
- Leave a 2-inch space between each circle.
- Bake at 400F for about 10 minutes, reduce heat to 325F and bake for 30 minutes more or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, carefully cut a small slit horizontally into the side of each puff, place on a rack to cool.
- When completely cooled, carefully slice each puff in half horizontally (forming a top and a bottom).
- Filling: In a large bowl; cream the drained ricotta well, until very smooth.
- Add flavorings and stir to blend well.
- Add sugar and mix well, filling should be thick (stiff) enough to hold its shape, if it is not, add more sugar.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a# 4 tip (large star tip) with the ricotta mixture.
- Squeeze the filling on to the bottom half of each puff.
- Place cherries on top of the filling (spaced about 1/2 inch apart).
- Replace tops on the puffs, and gently press down just enough to press the cherries part way into the filling.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Sfingi may be lightly dusted with a sprinkle of powdered sugar before serving (optional).
- Note: Sfingi are best served/eaten the day they are made, because once they are filled, the puffs can soften.
- The puffs may be made a day ahead, and filled before serving.
- The filling may be made a day ahead of serving and stored (covered) in the refrigerator.
SFINGE DE SAN GIUSEPPE
A variation of the traditional sfinge recipe. A simple batter similar to Zeppoli, dropped into hot oil, fried crisp and dusted with powdered sugar.
Provided by Brenda.
Yield 18-20 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Mix ricotta cheese with sugar, vanilla and eggs.
- Mix in Self-Rising flour and beat until smooth.
- Heat oil to 370 degrees.
- Drop mixture by tablespoons a few at a time into oil.
- Remove from oil when they reach a golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, cinnamon sugar or honey.
- Serve Warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 139.8, Fat 5.1, SaturatedFat 2.6, Cholesterol 83.4, Sodium 221, Carbohydrate 16.8, Fiber 0.4, Sugar 5.8, Protein 6.3
- In large bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix together baking powder and 1/2 cup flour. Fold into ricotta mixture. Add enough of remaining flour to make a thick batter. Let rest 1 hour.
- Heat oil in large heavy saucepan over high heat until a small amount of batter dropped in oil sizzles and starts to color. Drop batter by teaspoons into hot oil and deep fry until golden. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Stack sfingi on serving platter in a pyramid. Drizzle stack with honey and dust with confectioner's sugar.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 218.5 calories, Carbohydrate 16.6 g, Cholesterol 34.2 mg, Fat 14.9 g, Fiber 0.2 g, Protein 5.2 g, SaturatedFat 3.2 g, Sodium 148.3 mg, Sugar 8.5 g
More about "sfinge de san giuseppe recipes"
SFINGI DI SAN GIUSEPPE: CLASSIC ITALIAN DONUTS FOR ST.
5/5 (1)Category SweetsCuisine ItalianTotal Time 3 hrs 7 mins
- In a large bowl or cup with a pouring lip, add yeast and ¼ cup sugar to warm water and stir to dissolve. Add the vanilla and stir to combine. Let the yeast bloom for 5 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, pour the yeast mixture into the mixer bowl. Using the whisk attachment, gradually add the flour mixture until a shaggy dough is formed. Switch to the dough hook and knead for 5 - 7 minutes until a smooth ball is formed. Dough should be slightly sticky and elastic. Put the dough into a oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until double in size; about 1 ½ hours. Punch down, cover and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a floured board. Divide into 4 pieces. Working with one piece at a time, pinch or cut small pieces about the size of a lime. With floured hands, roll into balls. Place on parchment paper dusted with flour. Repeat with the rest of the dough. You should get about 24 balls.
SFINCE DI SAN GIUSEPPE - ITALY MAGAZINE
SFINGI SAN JOSEPH SAN GIUSEPPE - SICILIAN COOKING PLUS
ZEPPOLE DI SAN GIUSEPPE (ST. JOSEPH’S DAY TRADITIONAL ITALIAN …
WHETHER YOU CALL THEM ZEPPOLE DI SAN GIUSEPPE OR SFINGE DI SAN …
ASTRAY RECIPES: I SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE
SFINGE DE SAN GIUSEPPE - TEXASONTHEHALFSHELL FORUM
CREAM PUFFS (SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE) | RECIPELION.COM
ZEPPOLE DI SAN GIUSEPPE | ITALIAN ST. JOSEPH'S PASTRIES
I SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE - BIGOVEN.COM
SFINGE DI SAN GUISEPPI – MARTONE RECIPES
SFINGE DI RICOTTA RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
RECIPE: SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE (ST. JOSEPH DAY CREAM PUFFS) …
SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE — RUE'S KITCHEN
ST. JOSEPH'S ZEPPOLE AND SFINGI - COOKING WITH NONNA
SFINCI DI SAN GIUSEPPE (CREAM PUFFS) - LA CIOCIARA
ST. JOSEPH CREAM PUFFS (SFINGI DI SAN GIUSEPPE) - WASHINGTON POST
SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE - ST. JOSEPH'S DAY CREAM PUFFS RECIPE
SFINCIA DI SAN GIUSEPPE: ONE OF PALERMO’S BEST DESSERTS
ZEPPOLE AND SFINGI RECIPES - COOKING WITH NONNA
SFINCI DI SAN GIUSEPPE - RICETTA SICILIANA - YOUTUBE
SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE RECIPE - YADA CHEF PERSONAL CHEFS AND …
SFINGE DE SAN GIUSEPPE (KITCHENPC)
ZEPPOLE DI SAN GIUSEPPE - TRADITIONAL ITALIAN RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
FOOD: SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE RECIPE - NIAGARA GAZETTE
ST. JOSEPH’S CREAM PUFFS - DANIELLE BEAN
ST JOSEPH SFINGI RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
LITURGICAL YEAR : RECIPES : ST. JOSEPH'S SFINGE I | CATHOLIC CULTURE
AUTHENTIC SFINGE RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
ZEPPOLE DI SAN GIUSEPPE - ITALIAN RECIPES BY GIALLOZAFFERANO
ZEPPOLE SAN GIUSEPPE - LAURA VITALE - EVERYBODYLOVESITALIAN.COM
RECIPE: SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE (ST. JOSEPH'S CREAM PUFFS ...
ASTRAY RECIPES: SFINCI DI SAN GIUSEPPE
ST. JOSEPH'S CREAM PUFFS(SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE) - PLAIN.RECIPES
SFINGE DE SAN GIUSEPPE - CHAMPSDIET.COM
SFINGE OR ZEPPOLE DI SAN GIUSEPPE RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
SFINGE DI SAN GIUSEPPE - ST. JOSEPH'S DAY CREAM PUFFS RECIPE
SFINGE OR ZEPPOLE DI SAN GIUSEPPE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
#15-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #for-large-groups #5-ingredients-or-less #desserts #easy #european #italian #number-of-servings
You'll also love