EASY STEAMED MUSSELS
Steamed Mussels - easiest steamed mussels recipe ever, with simple ingredients and takes 20 mins. Serve with pasta for restaurant's quality dinner.
Provided by Rasa Malaysia
Categories American Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Scrub and clean the mussels and remove the beards on the mussels by pulling them off. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up a skillet on medium heat. Add the olive oil. Saute the garlic a few times before adding the mussels. Stir and toss the mussels. Add the white wine and diced tomato. Cover the skillet with its lid and steam for 1 minute or until all mussels are open.
- Add the lemon juice, salt (to taste) and parsley. Stir to combine well. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 172 calories, Carbohydrate 6 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 24 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 9 grams fat, Fiber 0 grams fiber, Protein 10 grams protein, SaturatedFat 1 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 4 people, Sodium 252 milligrams sodium, Sugar 1 grams sugar
SIMPLE STEAMED MUSSELS
- Place a cast-iron enameled Dutch oven over high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions, garlic and butter and briefly cook until the onion softens, 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in the chili flakes. Add the mussels, Chardonnay and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until all of the mussels have opened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the lid then add the parsley.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush the bread slices with olive oil on both sides. Grill until toasted on both sides, 30 seconds per side.
- Serve the mussels with a rustic piece of grilled bread.
- Rinse the mussels under cold running water while scrubbing with a vegetable brush. Discard any with broken shells. Heat oil in a 6 to 8-quart stockpot. Saute the shallot, garlic and thyme to create a base flavor. Add the mussels and give them a good toss. Add wine, lemon juice, chicken broth and red pepper flakes; cover the pot and steam over medium-high for 5 minutes until the mussels open. Toss in the tomato, parsley and butter, recover the pot, and steam for another minute to soften. The tomatoes should keep their shape. Serve with plenty of grilled garlic bread to sop up the broth.
STEAMED MUSSELS I
- Fill a large pot with mussels. Sprinkle chopped onions and garlic over the shellfish. Do not add water, as mussels produce all the water needed for steaming! Cook over high heat until most or all of the mussels open. Discard any that do not open.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 166.9 calories, Carbohydrate 7.7 g, Cholesterol 71.2 mg, Fat 2.1 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 27.4 g, SaturatedFat 0.2 g, Sodium 393 mg, Sugar 3.7 g
SIMPLE STEAMED CLAMS OR MUSSELS
This straightforward method of cooking mussels or clams produces an excellent dinner in 30 minutes. You can build in extra flavors by varying the aromatic vegetables, the liquid and the last-minute stir-ins. All you need is some bread or simply cooked rice, grain or potatoes to sop up the broth.
Provided by Emily Weinstein
Categories dinner, lunch, quick, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Put the oil in a saucepan large enough to hold all the clams or mussels over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, 5 minutes.
- Add the liquid along with the clams or mussels, turn the heat up to high, and cover the pot. Cook, shaking the pot occasionally, until they all (or nearly all) open, about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Scoop the mussels into a serving bowl. Remove as many shallots as you can with a slotted spoon and scatter them on top. Pour or ladle off the accumulated liquid, leaving any sediment in the bottom of the pan, and pour it over the mussels. Garnish with parsley and serve with the lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 554, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 22 grams, Fat 12 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 83 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 3410 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
Looking for a seafood dinner that's ready in just 25 minutes? Then check out this classic mussels dish that can be made using three ingredients.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Discard any broken-shell or open (dead) mussels. Scrub remaining mussels in cold water, removing any barnacles with a dull paring knife. Remove beards by giving them a tug (using a kitchen towel may help). If you have trouble removing them, use pliers to grip and pull gently.
- Place mussels in large container. Cover with cool water. Agitate water with hand, then drain and discard water. Repeat several times until water runs clear; drain.
- In steamer,* place half of the mussels and the boiling water. Cover and steam 3 to 5 minutes, removing mussels as they open. Discard any unopened mussels. Repeat with remaining mussels.
- Serve hot mussels in shells with butter.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 140, Carbohydrate 6 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Fiber 0 g, Protein 25 g, SaturatedFat 0 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 115 mg, Sugar 0 g, TransFat 0 g
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH GARLIC AND PARSLEY
This is absolutely the simplest way to cook mussels, and perhaps the most satisfying. A big pot of them makes an easy, festive dinner any night of the week.
Provided by David Tanis
Categories easy, quick, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat broiler. Put olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and red pepper and let sizzle for 30 seconds without browning. Add the mussels, stir to coat and increase heat to high. Add the wine or water, and put on lid. After 2 minutes, give the mussels a stir, then replace lid and continue cooking until all mussels have opened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Paint cut sides of the baguette pieces with oil and place cut side up under broiler to toast. Rub toasts with the remaining garlic cloves.
- Stir the chopped parsley into the mussels, then ladle mussels and broth into bowls. Serve with the garlic toasts.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 675, UnsaturatedFat 12 grams, Carbohydrate 58 grams, Fat 19 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 63 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 1758 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
EASY "6" INGREDIENT STEAMED MUSSELS IN BEER
Now this also works with clams as well, but my favorite is mussels. This is so easy and quick to make. It is a wonderful starter dish or even a main course. Just make sure to have some crusty bread to go with it. My favorite is slice your baguette in half and drizzle with olive oil and toast. Rub it with fresh garlic and a slice of tomato for a wonderful fresh flavor. Just a Note: I didn't count the olive oil to saute the vegetables in or the salt and pepper in the six ingredients. It is still very very easy and absolutely delicious. These amounts work good for 1-1 1/2 lbs. Just double each of the ingredients if you are using more mussels.
Provided by SarasotaCook
Yield 4-6 Servings as an appetizer, 2-3 as a main couse, 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Base -- In a medium wide saute pan, add the olive oil and bring to medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute a couple of minutes.
- If you like a little heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes, this is completely optional.
- Mussels -- One NOTE: Very important. Rinse the mussels well in cold water in a collander. Make sure that any opened mussels you tap a couple of times and if they do not close, they are BAD (dead) and make sure to toss those out.
- Add the beer and mussels to the pan and reduce the heat to medium and cover. Simmer approximately 5-7 minutes until the mussels begin to open. Turn the heat off and add the butter and parsley and stir well. Don't over cook the mussels. You just want to make sure they all open well.
- Serve -- As I mentioned - crusty bread. I like to drizzle with olive oil and toast, then rub with a garlic clove and a tomato. Just cut a tomato in half and rub over the bread. It has amazing flavor. The broth and onions in the broth are a great topping to the bread with. ENJOY! This very simple easy dish.
STEAMED MUSSELS II
Less is more when it comes to cooking mussels! Use only fresh mussels, which are tightly closed when you buy them. If you can't find fresh mussels, make something else! Serve with slices of fresh crusty bread to soak up the delicious broth.
Provided by STEPHANO
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a medium stock pot, heat butter over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until translucent.
- Pour in wine and mussels. Raise heat to medium/high and steam mussels until shells open, about 5 minutes.
- Pour mussels and cooking liquid into a serving bowl, sprinkle with parsley and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 158.1 calories, Carbohydrate 5.4 g, Cholesterol 42 mg, Fat 6.6 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 10.7 g, SaturatedFat 3.7 g, Sodium 195.6 mg, Sugar 1.9 g
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH PEPPERS
Use the French bread to soak up the deliciously seasoned broth. If you like food zippy, add the jalapeno seeds. -Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Tap mussels; discard any that do not close. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute jalapeno in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the clam juice, wine, red pepper, green onions, oregano and bay leaf., Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add mussels. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mussels open. Discard bay leaf and any unopened mussels. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper. Serve with baguette slices if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 293 calories, Fat 12g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 65mg cholesterol, Sodium 931mg sodium, Carbohydrate 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 28g protein.
STEAMED MUSSELS, ASIAN STYLE
- Put the oil in a saucepan large enough to hold all the mussels and turn the heat to medium. A minute later, add the scallion, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute.
- Add the mussels, turn the heat to high, and cover the pot. Cook, shaking the pot occasionally, until they all (or nearly all) open, about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Scoop the mussels into a serving bowl. Add the soy sauce to the liquid, then pass it through a fine strainer (or a coarse one lined with cheesecloth). Pour the liquid over the mussels and serve.
- Curried Steamed Mussels: Substitute butter for the oil. Substitute shallot for the scallion and omit the ginger and garlic. When the shallot is soft, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon curry powder and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds. Cook and finish as directed, substituting the juice of 1 lime for the soy sauce.
- Thai Steamed Mussels: Use peanut oil. Add 1 lemongrass stalk, roughly chopped; 1 small dried hot red chile; and 2 lime leaves to the scallion, ginger, and garlic. Substitute nam pla (fish sauce) for the soy sauce.
- Steamed Clams with Soy: Most mussel recipes will work for steamers, which are also known as soft-shell clams. But steamers must be rinsed after shucking to remove all traces of sand, and you don't want to dilute these delicious broths by dipping clams into them one after the other. The solution is to substitute littlenecks-small hardshell clams, the kind served on the half shell and used for pasta with clam sauce-for the mussels. These contain no sand at all, but because their shells are heavier, use 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of littlenecks to replace each pound of mussels. Proceed exactly as directed.
- Every year, we see more and more cultivated mussels, most often from Prince Edward Island, which is fast becoming the mussel farming capital of North America. These are easy to clean (almost clean enough to eat without washing, but still worth a quick going over), with very few rejects and plump meat. Wild mussels are far tastier but harder to clean. When cleaning mussels, discard any with broken shells. If the mussels have beards-the hairy vegetative growth that is attached to the shell-trim them off. Those mussels that remain closed after the majority have been steamed open can be pried open with a knife (a butter knife works fine) at the table.
More about "simple steamed mussels recipes"
HOW TO COOK MUSSELS: EASY STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE WITH …
2.5/5 (46)Category EntreeCuisine FrenchTotal Time 15 mins
- Heat the butter in a large stock pot or deep saucepan over medium heat, then add the shallots and garlic. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Add the mussels, broth, and wine to the pot and cover with a lid. Cook the mussels for 5 minutes, shaking the pot every few minutes to evenly distribute the heat.
- Remove the lid and check for any unopened mussels; if the majority are still closed, cover with the lid for another 2 minutes, then check again. Once most of the shells are open, discard any that have remained closed.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl (don't forget the cooking liquid!), garnished with chopped parsley and red pepper flakes, and serve with crusty bread or French fries, for French moules frites, on the side to soak up the broth. For proper mussel eating etiquette, place a separate bowl on the table for discarding empty shells.
STEAMED MUSSELS 10 WAYS - CHEF MICHAEL SMITH
BEST STEAMED MUSSELS IN WHITE WINE RECIPE - HOW TO …
STEAMED MUSSELS FROM PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND - THE …
STEAMED MUSSELS IN WHITE WINE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
MY QUICK AND EASY MUSSELS RECIPE : MUSSELS 101
HOW TO COOK MUSSELS ON THE STOVETOP - KITCHN
35 MUSSELS RECIPES THAT ARE QUICK, EASY, AND ELEGANT
SAKE-STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - THE LITTLE KITCHEN
HOW TO COOK MUSSELS WITH GARLIC WHITE WINE SAUCE
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH WHITE WINE BROTH - INSPIRED TASTE
THE 20 BEST MUSSEL RECIPES - GYPSYPLATE
5-INGREDIENT STEAMED BEER MUSSELS - COOKING FOR KEEPS
THE BEST WAY TO STEAM MUSSELS — SIMPLE FRENCH COOKING
STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - CANADIAN COOKING ADVENTURES
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH FENNEL, TOMATOES, OUZO, AND CREAM RECIPE …
EASY STEAMED MUSSELS - FOOLPROOF RECIPE! - SPAIN BUDDY
STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - PETITE GOURMETS
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH GARLIC RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
HOW TO COOK STEAMED MUSSELS - THE RECIPE CRITIC
EASIEST SPICY STEAMED MUSSELS - EASY HEALTHY-ISH RECIPES
CLASSIC FRENCH STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
17 STEAMED RECIPES WE LOVE - INSANELY GOOD
CHINESE NEW YEAR: STEAMED CHINESE FISH RECIPE | EASY SNAPPER …
STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - DINNER AT THE ZOO
EASY STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - FULTON FISH MARKET
EASY STEAMED MUSSELS RECIPE - FULTON FISH MARKET
MUSSELS STEAMED WITH LEMON GARLIC BUTTER - MAMA LOVES FOOD
FRENCH STEAMED MUSSELS - CAFE DELITES
SHELLED MUSSELS RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
4 REASONS STEAMED MUSSELS SHOULD BE YOUR GO-TO DISH FOR
STEAMED MUSSELS ITALIAN-STYLE RECIPE - MYGOURMETCONNECTION
DAVID’S MUSSELS STEAMED - FOX8.COM
EASY STEAMED MUSSELS IN TOMATO SAUCE - OH, THE THINGS WE'LL …
OVEN-STEAMED MUSSELS WITH GARLIC AND WHITE WINE
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH GARLIC, TOMATO, AND CALABRIAN CHILI PEPPER
25 EASY MUSSELS RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook mussels on the stove?In a medium stock pot, heat butter over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until translucent. Pour in wine and mussels. Raise heat to medium/high and steam mussels until shells open, about 5 minutes.
What is steamed mussels with white wine?Steamed mussels with white wine is a classic dish and it's incredibly easy to make. The recipe below will serve four people for dinner. The mussels' natural juices combine with the white wine and butter to make its own sauce, and it really is a heavenly, golden elixir of which you'll want to savor every last drop.
How do you cook mussels and tomatoes in a stew?Add the tomatoes, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels, cover the pot and cook until they open, 3 to 5 minutes. (Check halfway through and transfer any open mussels to a serving bowl.)
How to cook mussels on a charcoal grill?Add the onions, garlic and butter and briefly cook until the onion softens, 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in the chili flakes. Add the mussels, Chardonnay and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until all of the mussels have opened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the lid then add the parsley. Preheat a grill pan over medium heat.