SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH
- In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, water, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into a flat pan large enough to hold the fillets. Spread fish in one layer over bottom of pan, turning to coat each side, and set aside to marinate.
- In a 2 gallon resealable plastic bag, combine the cornmeal, flour, and seafood seasoning. Add fish to mixture, a few fillets at a time, and tumble gently to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Deep fry fillets until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Avoid overcrowding so fillets have room to brown properly. Fish should be slightly crisp outside, and moist and flaky inside. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1427.2 calories, Carbohydrate 131.6 g, Cholesterol 145 mg, Fat 78.6 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 45.7 g, SaturatedFat 13.2 g, Sodium 799.9 mg, Sugar 5.9 g
SWEET ONION AND CATFISH HUSH PUPPIES WITH COMEBACK SAUCE
Provided by Food Network
Yield 16 hush puppies
Number Of Ingredients 31
- For the comeback sauce: Combine mayonnaise, sambal, ketchup, lemon juice, hot sauce, smoked paprika, Worcestershire, garlic powder, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk together until the mixture is smooth and everything is well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- For the whipped sorghum butter: Add the butter, molasses and salt to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or to a medium bowl if you're using a hand mixer or whisk. Mix on medium speed until well-combined and the butter is lightened and fluffy.
- For the catfish: Combine the catfish with salt and sugar in a bowl. Refrigerate.
- For the hush puppies: Combine cornmeal with sugar, salt, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Whisk thoroughly to combine these dry ingredients. Whisk together the buttermilk and egg in a separate bowl until there are no specks of egg and it becomes a smooth and homogenous mixture.
- Retrieve the quick-cured catfish from the fridge, and add the catfish and diced onion to the dry ingredient mixture. Quickly stir together to coat the onion and catfish bits with cornmeal and spices. Add the buttermilk and egg and mix quickly with a spatula or wooden spoon until everything is well combined and the batter stiffens up pretty quickly as the cornmeal soaks up the buttermilk. Cover your batter and refrigerate for a few minutes while you prepare your pot for frying.
- Add vegetable oil to a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven no larger than 8 inches across-it's necessary for deep frying to have at least 2 inches of oil. Heat the oil over medium heat, bringing it up to 350 degrees F, using a thermometer to check the temperature. (If you don't have a thermometer, you can tell that the oil is ready when you add a small pinch of flour and it immediately sizzles and fries. You can fry without a thermometer if you're feeling bold, but just be careful that your oil doesn't get too hot or cold-you could either burn your hush puppies or end up with greasy ones-and no one wants that!)
- Once the oil is up to 350 degrees F, pull your batter from the fridge and begin to scoop it into the hot oil. We like to use a 3/4-ounce cookie scoop, but you could also use two spoons to scoop and drop roughly tablespoon-sized dollops into the hot oil. Fry as many hush puppies as comfortably fit into the pot at once-they should definitely have some room to expand and get crispy. It's okay to fry in several batches.
- Fry the hush puppies for 2 minutes, then turn them over and fry until golden brown and fluffy on the inside, another 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon or spider, moving them to a plate or tray lined with paper towels to help drain any excess oil. Sprinkle the hush puppies with a little salt while they're still hot. Repeat this process until all your hush puppies are cooked and seasoned.
- Pile the hushpuppies into a dish for serving and garnish with a nice sprinkle of the chives. Serve them nice and hot with 1 cup comeback sauce and 1/4 cup whipped sorghum butter, or your favorite sauces.
More about "southern fried catfish with hush puppies recipes"
DEEP-FRIED SOUTHERN HUSH PUPPIES RECIPE - THE SPRUCE …
Ratings 146Calories 394 per servingCategory Side Dish, Bread
BASIC DEEP-FRIED CATFISH FILLETS WITH HUSH PUPPIES
4/5 (22)Total Time 50 minsCategory Dinner, EntreeCalories 656 per serving
FRIED CATFISH AND HUSH PUPPIES - THE SPICY GRINGA
Cuisine SouthernCategory Appetizer, Main Course, Side DishServings 8Total Time 1 hr 50 mins
25 BEST SOUTHERN RECIPES | RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY MEAL ...
COUNTRY-FRIED CATFISH WITH HUSH PUPPIES - SOUTHERN RECIPES
SOUTHERN HUSH PUPPIES - I HEART RECIPES
WHAT ARE HUSH PUPPIES SERVED WITH 2022 AT PUPPIES - WWW ...
FOOD THAT GOES WITH FRIED CATFISH / HOW TO MAKE PERFECTLY ...
HUSHPUPPIE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
THE CHEW: CARLA HALL FRIED CATFISH RECIPE + HONEY CHILI ...
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH RECIPE - LEMONSFORLULU.COM
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH - THE COOKING BRIDE
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH WITH HUSH PUPPIES RECIPE | EAT YOUR ...
FRIED CATFISH WITH HUSH PUPPIES & TARTAR SAUCE RECIPE ...
THE BEST - SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH – THE 2 SPOONS
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH – RECIPES AND KITCHEN
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH RECIPE - LEMONSFORLULU.COM
FRIED CATFISH RECIPE (SIMPLE SOUTHERN DISH) - SOUTHERN PLATE
FRIED CATFISH WITH HUSH PUPPIES AND TARTAR SAUCE ...
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH - SUSAN RECIPES
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH - VIDEO DAILYMOTION
SOUTHERN FRIED FISH & HUSH PUPPIES - MASTERBUILT
DEEP FRIED CATFISH AND HUSH PUPPIES - PLAIN.RECIPES
FRIED CATFISH AND HUSHPUPPIES RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
MISSISSIPPI CATFISH AND HUSH PUPPIES - ALL INFORMATION ...
AMERICA'S CATCH - WELCOME TO AMERICA'S CATCH
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH CORNMEAL - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING ...
CORNMEAL COD RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
CATFISH CABIN HUSH PUPPIES RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN FARE. FRIED CATFISH AND HUSH PUPPIES ...
CRACKER BARREL SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH RECIPE - SECRET ...
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH RECIPE – WITH HEALTH AND SAFE
SHRIMP HUSH PUPPIES RECIPE NEELYS : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION ...
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH - BRADLEY'S FISH
SOUTHERN STYLE HUSH PUPPIES | RECIPE | CATFISH RECIPES ...
SOUTHERN FRIED CATFISH AND HUSHPUPPIES! - SWEET TEA AND ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook catfish Hush Puppies?Add the green onion and freshly ground black pepper to the batter. Drop into the hot fat (see above) and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, turning frequently or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm with the catfish while you finish frying the remaining hush puppies.
How do you cook catfish?(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.) This catfish recipe uses a simple cornmeal coating. The fish is deep fried to perfection and served along with the optional hush puppies. The fried fish is kept warm in a 200 F oven while the hush puppies are fried.
What goes well with fried catfish?Nothing goes better with Southern fried catfish than crispy, moist hush puppies--those deep-fried cornmeal dough tidbits of deliciousness. Hush puppies are a good side for seafood.
How do you make fried catfish with cornmeal and egg?Quickly stir together to coat the onion and catfish bits with cornmeal and spices. Add the buttermilk and egg and mix quickly with a spatula or wooden spoon until everything is well combined and the batter stiffens up pretty quickly as the cornmeal soaks up the buttermilk.