SWEET POTATO AND APPLE KUGEL
I've looked at a number of sweet potato kugel recipes, and experimented with this one a few times until I was satisfied with it. The trick is to bake the kugel long enough so that the sweet potato softens properly without the top drying out and browning too much. I cover the kugel during the first 45 minutes of baking to prevent this. After you uncover it, it's important to baste the top every 5 to 10 minutes with melted butter.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories dinner, casseroles, side dish
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with salt to taste (I suggest about 1/2 teaspoon). Add the grated sweet potatoes and the apples. Pour the lime juice over the grated apples and sweet potatoes, then stir everything together. Combine the honey and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter and stir together, then toss with the sweet potato mixture and combine well
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Cover the dish tightly with foil and place in the oven. Bake 45 minutes. Remove the foil and brush the top of the kugel with melted butter. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or longer, brushing every 5 minutes with butter. The kugel is ready when the edges are browned, the top is browned in spots and the mixture is set. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 144, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 17 grams, Fat 7 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 274 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 0 grams
CRISPY POTATO KUGEL
At its core, kugel is a casserole. It comes in both savory and sweet varieties, often made with egg noodles and vaguely sweetened. This version, made with potatoes, is decidedly salty and savory, with onions in the mixture and chives to finish. It can best be described as something between a Spanish tortilla and a giant latke; the potatoes are shredded, not sliced, there are eggs but no flour, and it's got crispy edges and a creamy interior. Sounds dreamy, doesn't it? The most annoying parts of this kugel are also the most important: grating the potatoes (I use a box grater, but you can use a food processor with the shredding blade) and wringing out their moisture. For that, I use my hands and a colander or strainer to save a kitchen towel or a cheesecloth, but you can use those, if you like. Traditionally made in a casserole-style baking dish, this kugel starts off in a cast-iron skillet, but a stainless-steel skillet would do the job, and honestly so would a baking dish, just know you may be sacrificing that crunchy underside.
Provided by Alison Roman
Categories vegetables, side dish
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Using a box grater or the shredding attachment on the food processor, grate the potatoes and onion into a colander fitted inside a large bowl (or in the sink).
- Using your hands and working with a bit at a time, squeeze as much water from the potatoes and onions as humanly possible and transfer the dry potatoes to a large bowl (you can use that same bowl, just make sure it's drained and dry). For added insurance, you can also do this with cheesecloth or a porous kitchen towel, if you like.
- Add eggs and 6 tablespoons chicken fat to the potatoes, and season with salt and plenty of pepper, mixing well. Heat another 2 tablespoons fat in a 9- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high. (This recipe will work in a 9- or 10-inch skillet, but the kugel will be slightly taller in a 9-inch.) Delicately place the potato mixture into the skillet, taking care not to pack it in tightly. (You want to keep the kugel light and airy.)
- Cook the potatoes, rotating the skillet occasionally to promote even browning, until it's golden brown on the edges and up the sides, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drizzle the top of the potatoes with the remaining 2 tablespoons fat and place in the oven. Bake until the top of the kugel is deeply golden brown, the edges are wispy and crispy, and the potatoes are completely and totally tender and cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with more pepper, chives and flaky sea salt. Slice and serve warm.
SWEET POTATO KUGEL
You could add cinnamon, maple syrup, what have you. I got this off the internet somewhere - it has been much requested.
Provided by fayz7912
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- While potatoes are still hot, mash and add remaining ingredients.
- Beat well and put in greased casserole. Dot with margarine.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until brown.
Kugel, a traditional Jewish noodle custard dish, is a mainstay of Jewish holiday meals. Defined as a baked pudding or casserole (usually from noodles or potatoes) this one is my own version of kugel, which is adapted from a few recipes to make one that we really love. This is a rich and sweet kugel although they also come in a savory version.
Provided by Lindsay
Categories Side Dish
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rapid boil. Cook egg noodles at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, mix sour cream, cheese, sugar, and butter together in a large bowl. Add eggs, apple, and raisins. Add drained egg noodles and cinnamon; stir until well combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until slightly golden brown and custard has set, about 1 hour. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 327.3 calories, Carbohydrate 26.7 g, Cholesterol 119.5 mg, Fat 21 g, Fiber 0.9 g, Protein 8.8 g, SaturatedFat 13.1 g, Sodium 152.2 mg, Sugar 12.8 g
More about "sweet potato casserole kugel recipes"
BEST POTATO KUGEL RECIPE | BEST KUGEL RECIPE - JAMIE GELLER
Cuisine Jewish FoodCategory Kugel Recipes, Starches, Side DishServings 8Total Time 1 hr 15 mins
- Finely chop onions using a food processor or very sharp knife. Place them in a large bowl. Shred potatoes in a food processor or with a box grater.
- Place oiled casserole dish in 425°F oven for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the pan and swirl the oil around to cover the sides. Pour some of it into the potato mixture. Mix well. Spoon potato mixture into the prepared casserole dish and cook for 1 hour, until the top is golden brown. Cool slightly before serving. Garnish with scallions.
SWEET POTATO KUGEL - WHAT JEW WANNA EAT
4.6/5 (7)Category Side DishCuisine JewishTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Dice sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes and mix onions and sweet potatoes in a blender until shredded or shred with a hand grater or food processor.
A THANKSGIVING SWEET POTATO KUGEL | BIRTHRIGHT ISRAEL ...
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
SWEET POTATO KUGEL | RECIPE
Servings 8Category Sides
SHAYDA’S SWEET POTATO KUGEL – HEALTHY COOKING WITH SHAYDA
10 BEST SWEET POTATO KUGEL RECIPES | YUMMLY
CLEAN EATING SWEET POTATO KUGEL RECIPE
Servings 9Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Breakfast, Side Dish, VegetablesCalories 143 per serving
- Once you have grated and measured the sweet potatoes, put them in a potato sack towel or a cheese cloth and wring out as much liquid as you can over the sink.
- Then place all the ingredient in a mixing bowl and mix by hand. It's easier to properly distribute the spices with your hands than with a wood spoon or spatula.
SWEET POTATO AND APPLE KUGEL (OR CASSEROLE FOR EASTER)
4.7/5 (3)Estimated Reading Time 2 minsCategory Entree
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOW TOPPING - JAMIE GELLER
Cuisine AmericanCategory Vegetable Side, Side DishServings 8Total Time 45 mins
- Cover potatoes with water in a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain well and return to the pot. Add margarine, egg, vanilla, and salt. Mash with a fork or potato masher until slightly chunky. Stir in pecans.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and smooth top. Cover with marshmallows and bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately. Recipe Courtesy of JOY of KOSHER Fast, Fresh Family Recipes, by Jamie Geller (HarperCollins 2013) - BUY NOW
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE/KUGEL RECIPE - FOOD.COM
4/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 40 minsCategory Yam/Sweet PotatoCalories 503 per serving
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO BOURBON NOODLE KUGEL FOR ...
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
ONION CRUSTED POTATO KUGEL CASSEROLE - THIS IS HOW I COOK
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
SWEET POTATO AND APPLE KUGEL - ACADEMY OF CULINARY NUTRITION
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SAVORY SWEET POTATO KUGEL – KOSHER FROM JERUSALEM
SWEET POTATO NOODLE KUGEL - HEALTHYFOODFORLIVING.COM - A ...
BAKED SWEET POTATOES IN CASSEROLE RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE KUGEL RECIPES
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPE – HOW TO BAKE SWEET POTATO ...
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE - SAVING ROOM FOR DESSERT
GLUTEN FREE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE - THE ALMOND EATER
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH CANNED YAMS - TIDYMOM®
SWEET NOODLE KUGEL | SHERI SILVER - LIVING A WELL-TENDED ...
THE BEST SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE | MOM ON TIMEOUT
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #yams-sweet-potatoes #low-protein #casseroles #side-dishes #potatoes #vegetables #oven #holiday-event #kosher #vegetarian #dietary #thanksgiving #low-in-something #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make sweet potato and Apple Kugel?In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with salt to taste (I suggest about 1/2 teaspoon). Add the grated sweet potatoes and the apples. Pour the lime juice over the grated apples and sweet potatoes, then stir everything together.
What's the best way to make sweet potato casserole?Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly then transfer to a large bowl. Add butter to sweet potatoes and use a potato masher, or two forks, to mash. Add milk, brown sugar, eggs, nutmeg, salt and vanilla and stir until smooth. Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
How to make sweet potatoes with brown sugar?Directions Preheat oven to 350° and grease a medium with cooking spray. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add butter to sweet potatoes and use a potato masher, or two forks, to mash. Add milk, brown sugar, eggs, nutmeg, salt and vanilla and stir until smooth.
What's the best temperature to bake a Kugel?Defined as a baked pudding or casserole (usually from noodles or potatoes) this one is my own version of kugel, which is adapted from a few recipes to make one that we really love. This is a rich and sweet kugel although they also come in a savory version. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).