UPSIDE-DOWN COFFEE CAKE
This is a gorgeous moist and gooey coffee cake! Use any type of fresh or frozen fruit, or combination of 2 fruits. Peach, cherry, blackberry and/or red raspberry are some of the best. The deep baking pan is required due to the bubbling caramel sauce and the height of the cake. Every time I serve it I get rave reviews!
Provided by Colleen Royal
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Use a deep sided 10 inch pan, or wrap the outside of a 10 inch springform pan with aluminum foil to prevent leaking. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter. Bring to a boil, then pour into bottom of springform pan. Sprinkle with sliced peaches.
- In a large bowl, cream together 2/3 cup margarine and the white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Pour batter over caramel and fruit in pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto serving platter and carefully remove pan. Be extremely careful of hot caramel and fruit juices! Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 417.9 calories, Carbohydrate 66.5 g, Cholesterol 63.4 mg, Fat 15.1 g, Fiber 0.8 g, Protein 5.1 g, SaturatedFat 5.6 g, Sodium 326.1 mg, Sugar 46.1 g
WARM APPLE-CORNMEAL UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 1 1/2-inch-high sides; line pan with 10-inch-diameter parchment paper round (parchment will come 1/2 inch up sides of pan). Butter parchment. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 10-inch-diameter nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup sugar and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture turns deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Add apple wedges and gently shake skillet to distribute caramel evenly. Cover and cook until apples release their juices, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until apples are tender and caramel thickens and coats apples, stirring occasionally, about 13 minutes. Transfer apples and caramel syrup to prepared cake pan, spreading evenly.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl to blend. Place cornmeal in large bowl; pour 1/2 cup boiling water over and stir to blend. Add 6 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup sugar to cornmeal mixture. Using electric mixer, beat until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk in 2 additions each. Pour batter over apples in pan.
- Bake cake until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. Run small knife between cake and pan sides to loosen cake. Carefully invert cake onto ovenproof or microwavable platter and peel off parchment. Cool 15 minutes. (Cake can be made up to 6 hours ahead. Rewarm in 350°F oven about 10 minutes or microwave on medium just until slightly warm, about 2 minutes.)
- Cut cake into wedges, place on plates, and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
UPSIDE DOWN CORNBREAD COFFEE CAKE
- 1. Preheat oven to 350. Melt the butter in a 9x7 inch baking dish in the oven. After it's melted sprinkle the brown sugar over melted butter, then sprinkle the ham over the brown sugar.
- 2. Mix your cornbread mix with your 1 egg, and the 1/3 cup liquid (half milk & half pineapple juice) pour the batter over the top of the ham, brown sugar and pineapple mixture.
- 3. Bake in a 350 oven for 25 minutes or until cornbread is golden and pineapple mixture is bubble out the sides. Test center of bread with a toothpick, if it comes out clean it's done.
- 4. Remove cake from oven and run a knife around the outside of cake. Flip the cake over like you do an upside down cake onto a platter. Let the cake cool about 20-30 minutes before eating.
CORNBREAD PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
This cake was a hit at family functions because of the different texture from regular cakes! Try it and see if your family and friends will rave at it and want the recipe!!. Makes a great christmas gift to gather the ingredients together for a cool personal gift ' Bon a petite'
Provided by Virginia Richard
Number Of Ingredients 1
- 1. 1st. Mix cornbread mix, according to package directions.add 1 tbls. of a good vanilla extract, 3 tbls. sugar Then spray botton of black iron skillet,put down enough pineapple to fill pan,add cherries in middle of pineapples. sprinkle brown sugar over top,add melted butter on top. put wet cornbread mix on top,add a little of the pineapple juice on top of cornbread mix. put into hot oven
- 2. bake at 400 degrees 20 minutes or untill golden brown
UPSIDE-DOWN CORNBREAD CAKE
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, heavy cream, eggs, butter, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In the cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add sugar and butter and let melt. When melted, remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Be sure to place maraschino cherries evenly throughout. Pour in batter and smooth top with a spatula. Bake 25 minutes, until cornbread is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- To serve: place a platter over skillet and invert cake. It should slide out easily. Slice into wedges and serve warm with whipped cream.
PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CORNBREAD
I love pineapple upside down cake and I love cornbread. I decided to combine the both and I found it to be so rich and heavenly.
Provided by ScottySauce
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a microwave-proof dish, bring the milk to a boil. Remove the milk from the microwave and add the cornmeal. Stir and let soak at room temperature for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and carefully place 1 slice of pineapple in the center of the pan. Place the other 5 slices around the center slice in a circle. Place the cherries in the centers of the pineapple slices and sprinkle the nuts evenly over the fruit. Drizzle pineapple juice over top.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the sugar to the eggs and whisk to combine. Add the canola oil and whisk. Add the cornmeal and milk mixture to the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Add this to the flour and stir just until combined. Pour the batter over the fruit in the skillet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes in the skillet. Set a platter on top of the skillet and carefully invert the cake. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 423.3, Fat 21.1, SaturatedFat 6.5, Cholesterol 68.3, Sodium 192.3, Carbohydrate 56.3, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 38.3, Protein 4.5
UPSIDE-DOWN PEACH CORNBREAD CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar along with the cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then cook, stirring, until the sugar is melted and begins to bubble, about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Arrange the peaches in the bottom of the skillet, fanning out in a circular pattern. Set aside.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using a hand mixer, beat the remaining 9 tablespoons butter together with the granulated sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. On low speed, add half the dry ingredients, half the milk, the remaining dry ingredients, then the remaining milk. Increase the speed to medium and beat just until everything is well mixed, scraping down the bowl once. (Use a spatula to be sure there are no dry ingredients stuck to the bottom of the bowl.) Drop the batter in large dollops over the peaches in the skillet, then use an offset spatula to gently smooth it out, being careful not to disturb the peaches.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and puffed and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes. While the cake is still warm, run a butter knife around the outside, then invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm.
CHERRY-CORNMEAL UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
A little balsamic vinegar balances the sweetness of the cherries and enhances their flavor. Serve the cake with espresso or tea in the afternoon or with whipped cream or ice cream for dessert.
Provided by Lori Longbotham
Categories Cake Mixer Dessert Bake Picnic Graduation Father's Day Backyard BBQ Cherry Cornmeal Summer Potluck Bon Appétit Kidney Friendly Vegetarian Pescatarian Peanut Free Tree Nut Free Soy Free Kosher
Yield 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Combine 1/4 cup butter with brown sugar and vinegar in 10- to 11-inch ovenproof skillet with 2-inch-high sides. Stir over medium heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to high; add cherries and bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup butter in large bowl. Add sugar; beat until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with milk in 2 additions each, beating just until blended and occasionally scraping down sides of bowl. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another medium bowl until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until whites are stiff but not dry. Using rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of whites into batter to lighten slightly. Fold in remaining whites in 3 additions (batter will be thick). Spoon batter over cherries in skillet, then spread evenly with offset spatula to cover cherries.
- Bake cake until top is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in skillet on rack 5 minutes. Run spatula around edges of cake to loosen. Place large serving platter upside down atop skillet. Using pot holders or oven mitts, firmly hold platter and skillet together and invert. Leave skillet atop cake 5 minutes. Remove skillet. If necessary, rearrange any cherries that may have become dislodged. Let cake cool at least 45 minutes. Cut cake into wedges and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
More about "upside down cornbread coffee cake recipes"
GEORGIA CORNBREAD CAKE RECIPE | GRITSANDPINECONES.COM
5/5 (7)Category Dessert, SnackCuisine SouthernTotal Time 40 mins See details »
CRANBERRY AND CORNMEAL UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
3.4/5 (45)Estimated Reading Time 50 secsServings 12
- Preheat oven to 350°. Heat 3 Tbsp. butter and brown sugar in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in cranberries; remove from heat.
- Beat together granulated sugar and remaining 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Stir in sour cream. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt; mix into egg mixture. Scrape batter over cranberries in pan and bake until golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 25–30 minutes. Invert immediately onto a wire rack (sugared fruit will stick to pan if left to cool).
UPSIDE DOWN BERRY CORNMEAL COFFEE CAKE - RECIPE GIRL
Reviews 1Estimated Reading Time 2 minsServings 10Total Time 1 hr See details »
UPSIDE-DOWN CORNBREAD CAKE RECIPE | SUNNY ANDERSON ...
Servings 6-8Total Time 50 minsCategory Dessert See details »
UPSIDE DOWN CORNBREAD CAKE RECIPE | SUNNY ANDERSON | FOOD ...
See details »
UPSIDE-DOWN BERRY CORNMEAL CAKE | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
5/5 (28)Total Time 1 hr 5 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 8-inch round cake pan, line bottom of pan with parchment paper; grease. Arrange 1-1/2 cups berries in bottom of pan; set side. In bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, basil, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until combined; pour over berries. Spread evenly.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. Run knife around edge of the pan to loosen sides. Invert. Remove parchment. Top with remaining berries, basil and mint. Makes 10 servings.
SWEET PEACH CORNBREAD CAKE - HILAH COOKING
Category DessertTotal Time 45 minsEstimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Set oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a 9″ cast iron skillet. Whisk dry ingredients together: flour through cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy. Add egg and mix to combine. Add sour cream and mix to combine. Add half the dry mixture, stir until almost incorporated. Add milk and vanilla, then remaining dry ingredients. Mix until it just comes together. Spread into cast iron skillet. Toss peaches with brown sugar. Sprinkle over the top. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before slicing. Finished cake can be removed to plate (upside down) and refrigerated, covered, for three days. Serve with whipped cream or creme fraiche if you like.
PEACH CORNMEAL UPSIDE DOWN CAKE • BAKERITA
5/5 (26)Total Time 1 hrCategory BreakfastCalories 402 per serving
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat, combine the 2 tablespoons unsalted butter and light brown sugar and stir until the sugar has melted. When it begins to bubble, remove it from the heat and let it cool. Arrange the peaches in the bottom of the pan as desired. I used a radial pattern. Be careful – the pan and caramel will be hot! Set aside while you prepare the cake batter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar and honey until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, incorporating fully before adding another. (The batter may start to separate for the last few eggs.) Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan, evenly over the peaches. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until is golden brown, the sides are beginning to pull away from the sides, and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Take the pan out of the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the cake, and then flip the cake onto a plate. It’s best to do this by setting the plate on the pan and, while wearing oven mitts, inverting the pan onto the plate. Be careful of the hot caramelized sugar. Serve warm.
UPSIDE DOWN PEAR CRUNCH COFFEE CAKE | CREATIVE CULINARY
5/5 (53)Total Time 1 hrCategory Cakes, Cupcakes & Cheesecake See details »
UPSIDE-DOWN HEIRLOOM TOMATO CORNBREAD - BAKE FROM SCRATCH
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
VIDALIA ONION UPSIDE DOWN CORNBREAD | THANKSGIVING …
See details »
UPSIDE DOWN CORNBREAD COFFEE CAKE | RECIPE | COFFEE CAKE ...
See details »
RECEIPRS UDING CORNBREAD / UPSIDE DOWN CORNBREAD COFFEE ...
See details »
UPSIDE-DOWN CRANBERRY CORNBREAD | CRANBERRY CORNBREAD ...
See details »
TRANSFORM CORNBREAD MIX INTO A STUNNING PEACH UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
See details »
CORNMEAL COFFEE CAKE - DELICIOUS RECIPES
See details »
SAUSAGE UPSIDE DOWN CORNBREAD RECIPES
See details »
UPSIDE-DOWN CORNBREAD CAKE RECIPE RECIPE
See details »
UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
You'll also love