This simple soup highlights the flavor of watercress: clean and slightly bitter but not overwhelming. The potato gives this soup enough extra body to make it a satisfying lunch or light dinner.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 6 cups
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil and garlic, cook until sizzling and fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in potato and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 1 minute.
- Add stock and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in watercress. Return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among soup bowls and squeeze a lemon wedge into each bowl. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 101 g, Fat 4 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 5 g, Sodium 66 g
Richard Grausman created his lighter version of the classic French watercress soup in his book, "At Home With The French Classics." The traditional soup is thickened with potatoes; this is thickened with zucchini. I in turn adapted his recipe somewhat. Use the leaves from one bunch of watercress. PLEASE NOTE: this soup is WW friendly, even though it is not titled or categorized as such. To make the soup @ zero points, I use no fat and just boil the leeks (can sub white onion) in the broth. I usually add a little olive oil to the bowl just before serving, so if you do that, remember to count points for the oil or butter you use.
Provided by coconutty
Yield 2-3 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Remove the leaves from one bunch of watercress and set them aside. Discard the watercress stems.
- Make sure the leeks are in small dice that will cook up quickly.
- Place butter, leeks and chicken broth in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 4-5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, cook several minutes more, until zucchini is just tender.
- Add salt and pepper, stir.
- Add watercress and reduce heat. Simmer 1 minute until watercress wilts.
- Remove from heat and purée in a blender.
- Correct seasoning.
- Just before serving, stir in optional cream OR optional virgin coconut oil.
- Serve hot, warm or cold.
- NOTE 1: Because the traditional French soup is pale green, Richard Grausman used peeled zucchini to create a paler shade of green. You could leave the zucchini unpeeled, thereby giving the soup a darker green color.
- NOTE 2: I am now using almond milk successfully instead of cream. Try Almond Breeze original unsweetened.
- NOTE 3: See my description for making this soup Weight Watcher friendly.
COLD CREAM OF WATERCRESS SOUP
- Heat a large saucepan with olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the leeks and the watercress stems only and saute until wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and potatoes and season well with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath by partially filling your largest mixing bowl with ice cubes and water.
- In batches to avoid overfilling and splattering, ladle the soup into a blender or food processor, adding some of the creme fraiche and watercress leaves with each batch and reserving about 2 dozen whole leaves for a garnish. Puree each batch and transfer to a fine-meshed strainer held over a large mixing bowl that fits inside the ice water bath, using a rubber spatula to press the puree through the strainer. Taste the puree, adjust the seasonings, if necessary, with more salt and pepper, and stir in the lemon juice.
- Place the bowl of soup inside the ice water bath and chill it until cool, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Remove the bowl of soup from the ice water bath, dry its underside, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Before serving, taste the soup. If it is too thick, thin it with a little cold milk, chicken stock, or water, to a thick, creamy consistency. Adjust the seasonings, if necessary. Ladle into chilled bowls and decoratively garnish each serving with a few of the reserved watercress leaves.
WATERCRESS AND POTATO SOUP
Blend peppery watercress with potato and shallot for a satisfying soup.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the potato, garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper and cook, stirring, until the potatoes are well coated, 2 to 3 minutes more. Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a simmer. Stir in the watercress and cook 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat, discard the thyme and let cool at least 5 minutes. Carefully puree until smooth with a handheld immersion blender or in 2 to 3 batches in a blender (do not fill the blender more than halfway full per batch).
- Stir in the cream and reheat the soup if necessary, adjusting the consistency and seasoning with additional water, salt and pepper.
- Serve hot sprinkled with almonds and chives.
WATERCRESS SOUP (JULIA CHILD)
- When measuring the watercress leaves and stems, pack them down in the measuring cup.
- Simmer leeks, potatoes, water and salt together, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in watercress and simmer 5 minutes.
- While the watercress is simmering, you can prepare the following optional garnish if you wish: a small handful of watercress leaves boiled 30 seconds, rinsed in cold water and drained.
- Mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or puree in blender. Correct seasoning.
- Off heat and just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls. Decorate with the optional watercress leaves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 180.8, Fat 5.9, SaturatedFat 3.5, Cholesterol 20.6, Sodium 1782.9, Carbohydrate 29.8, Fiber 3.7, Sugar 3.5, Protein 3.8
ASIAN-STYLE WATERCRESS SOUP
- Place water, onion, soy sauce, soy-based liquid seasoning, garlic, and ginger root in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons boiling water. Add to the saucepan. Add mushrooms and bouillon. Reduce heat to medium-high; simmer until flavors are blended, about 7 minutes. Add tofu and watercress. Simmer soup for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in eggs slowly, whisking constantly, until cooked, 1 to 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 95.4 calories, Carbohydrate 10.2 g, Cholesterol 61.7 mg, Fat 3 g, Fiber 1.8 g, Protein 9.6 g, SaturatedFat 0.7 g, Sodium 714.8 mg, Sugar 2.9 g
- Wash and drain watercress.
- Fill a 3- or 4-quart pot with the water; bring to boil.
- Drop pork and garlic cloves into boiling water. Cover pot and lower heat to medium. Cook 30 minutes.
- Add watercress. Bring to boil.
- Lower flame under pot. Crack egg over pot. Stir egg yolk and white into soup, breaking up yolk while cooking.
- Add Accent if desired and salt. Simmer soup uncovered, skimming off surface, about 10 minutes.
- Add more salt if desired. Serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 46, UnsaturatedFat 1 gram, Carbohydrate 1 gram, Fat 2 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 865 milligrams, Sugar 0 grams, TransFat 0 grams
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5-6 minutes. Add broth and potatoes; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add watercress to pot; stir until leaves wilt. Let soup cool briefly. Working in batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to same pot. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired. DO AHEAD: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
- Whisk cream with a pinch of salt in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Fold in 1 1/2 tablespoons chives.
- Rewarm soup gently over low heat. Divide soup among demitasse or small teacups and garnish each cup with a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons chives over.
- Simmer the potatoes, leeks and herb bouquet in the chicken stock for 40 minutes. Trim the watercress stalks and discard. Add the watercress leaves to the soup reserving a few for decoration; simmer for five minutes.
- Remove the herb bouquet. Puree the mixture in a food mill and cool it overnight.
- Stir in yogurt and lemon juice to taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve the soup, sprinkled with watercress leaves, in individual bowls.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 224, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 38 grams, Fat 4 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 11 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 1060 milligrams, Sugar 9 grams
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, stock, salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat. Simmer, stirring once, until cauliflower is very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in watercress.
- Working in batches, puree soup in a blender, filling no more than halfway each time. Return soup to saucepan; cover to keep warm. To serve, divide among 4 bowls. Garnish each bowl with a sprig of watercress, and season with pepper.
For more delicious recipes visit www.watercress.co.uk
Provided by mustardcomms
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 10
- 1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and celery and sauté over a medium heat for 5 mins until pale golden. Stir in the potato and stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10 mins or until the potato is tender.
- 2. Stir in the watercress, cover and cook for a further 5 mins or until the watercress is wilted. Transfer the soup to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Return the soup to the rinsed out pan add the milk, nutmeg, lemon juice and seasoning to taste. Gently reheat until piping hot and serve with crusty bread.
More about "watercress soup recipes"
WATERCRESS SOUP | JAMIE MAGAZINE RECIPES
Servings 2-3Total Time 35 minsCategory StartersCalories 235 per serving
- Peel and roughly chop the potatoes, onions and garlic.In a large saucepan, heat a little olive oil, then sauté the potato, onion and garlic until the onions are translucent.
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4/5 (69)Estimated Reading Time 1 minServings 10
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5–6 minutes. Add broth and potatoes; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add watercress to pot; stir until leaves wilt. Let soup cool briefly. Working in batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to same pot. Stir in 1½ tsp. lemon juice. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired.
- Rewarm soup gently over low heat. Divide soup among demitasse or small teacups and garnish each cup with a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp. chives over.
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
5/5 (2)Total Time 55 minsCategory Soup, Irish, St. Patrick's Day, WatercressCalories 163 per serving
TOP 10 WATERCRESS RECIPES | WATERCRESS RECIPES — WATERCRESS
ZUCCHINI-AND-WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE - SOPHIE DAHL | FOOD & WINE
CHILLED WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
HEALTHY WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE - THEFOODXP
WATERCRESS SOUP - GREEDY GOURMET
WATERCRESS SOUP | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
CREAMY WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE | EATINGWELL
CHINESE WATERCRESS SOUP (西洋菜汤) | WOK AND KIN
WATERCRESS RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
WATERCRESS SOUP (SOUPE DE CRESSON) - PARDON YOUR FRENCH
CHINESE WATERCRESS SOUP WITH PORK RIBS (SAI YEUNG CHOY …
WATERCRESS SOUP | FOOD FROM PORTUGAL
WATERCRESS-BUTTERMILK SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
WATERCRESS SOUP - INTERNATIONAL BUDDHIST SOCIETY | 國際佛教觀音寺
THE LUSH, FIERY GREEN YOU DIDN’T KNOW YOU WERE MISSING
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE – KEVIN LEE JACOBS
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
WATERCRESS SOUP OR POTAGE AU CRESSON RECIPE - HELENA RECIPES
WATERCRESS SOUP IS A GREAT CLASSIC WHEN IT COMES TO FRENCH SOUPS
EASY WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE - TASTING TABLE
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPES — WATERCRESS | HEALTH, RECIPES & MORE
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE - BBC FOOD
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE (VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN FREE)
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE - RAYMOND BLANC OBE
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
BEST WATERCRESS RECIPES - OLIVEMAGAZINE
WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
WATERCRESS SOUP - DAVID LEBOVITZ
COOK CHINESE WATERCRESS SOUP 3 WAYS 西洋菜汤
ROYAL RECIPES: PRINCESS DIANA'S WATERCRESS SOUP
CREAMY WATERCRESS-CUCUMBER SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
WATERCRESS SOUP - SOUTHEAST ASIAN RECIPES - NYONYA …
WATERCRESS SOUP | SAINSBURY'S RECIPES
CHINESE WATERCRESS SOUP RECIPE (西洋菜汤) - SOUPER DIARIES
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #for-1-or-2 #low-protein #soups-stews #vegetables #french #european #dietary #low-sodium #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-carb #healthy-2 #low-in-something #squash #number-of-servings
Wild Garlic & Watercress Soup Recipe | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | River Cottage28K views-02:07
Watercress Soup recipe | Morrisons662 views-01:31
Watercress Soup Recipe4.5K views-01:20
Soup Recipe: Healthy & Homemade Watercress Soup with Chicken1.8K views-04:43
Watercress Soup | The F Word161K views-02:33
Clean Eating Watercress Soup82K views-04:38
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make the perfect potato and Watercress soup?Add broth and potatoes; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Add watercress to pot; stir until leaves wilt. Let soup cool briefly. Working in batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Return soup to same pot.
How to make Italian soup with watercress and onion?Recipe Preparation Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5–6 minutes. Add watercress to pot; stir until leaves wilt. Let soup cool briefly. Whisk cream with a pinch of salt in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Fold in 1½ Tbsp. chives. Rewarm soup gently over low heat.
How do you cook baby Watercress for Soup?The delicate, thin-stemmed baby watercress that some markets carry is not appropriate for this soup. In a large pot, heat the butter until frothy, then cook the onions over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Salt the onions as they cook. Add the wine or stock, potatoes and water and bring to a boil.
What is a creamy Watercress soup?A creamy watercress soup that makes a great starter or lunch with crusty bread and butter. Read more about sharing. In a large saucepan on a medium heat, melt the butter and gently cook the chopped onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and translucent but not coloured.