WEST AFRICAN PEANUT STEW
A hearty stew that's super-easy to make and great for peanut butter lovers. Can be made vegetarian or with chicken. In a pinch, feel free to use vegetable or corn oil for peanut oil, powdered ginger for fresh, water for stock, etc. Kale works well in place of collard greens.
Provided by km1312
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the peanut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir the onion, garlic, and ginger in the hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken; cook and stir until completely browned. Season with the crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Pour the chicken stock over the mixture. Stir the sweet potatoes into the liquid and bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover the pot partially with a lid, and cook at a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir the tomatoes, collard greens, and peanut butter into the soup. Partially cover the pot again and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, another 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 730.6 calories, Carbohydrate 44.9 g, Cholesterol 70.1 mg, Fat 43.8 g, Fiber 11.1 g, Protein 45.5 g, SaturatedFat 7.7 g, Sodium 1470.3 mg, Sugar 14.5 g
SPICY AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW
- Pour the hot stock over the peanut butter and stir until dissolved. Heat a very large pan and fry the onions in the oil for 5 mins to soften. Add the ginger, cayenne, if using, ½ tsp black pepper, coriander, cumin, chillies and bay and cook, stirring, for 2 mins.
- Tip in the tomatoes and the peanut stock, then stir in the chicken pieces. Put a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for 30 mins, stirring frequently to make sure the peanut butter doesn't stick to the base of the pan.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes, peppers and chopped coriander, then cook for 30 mins more. Serve sprinkled with the reserved coriander, with rice and lime wedges for squeezing over, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 633 calories, Fat 40 grams fat, SaturatedFat 10 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 25 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 12 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 44 grams protein, Sodium 0.8 milligram of sodium
WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-heat heat; cook the chicken in the skillet until completely brown, 5 to 7 minutes; remove and set aside. Add the onion, potatoes, garlic, pepper, salt, coriander, cumin, and red pepper to the skillet and cook until the onions soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the water, chicken broth, and peanut butter. Return the chicken to the skillet and top with the spinach. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 595.2 calories, Carbohydrate 41.2 g, Cholesterol 117.2 mg, Fat 23.6 g, Fiber 6.9 g, Protein 56.6 g, SaturatedFat 5.1 g, Sodium 653.3 mg, Sugar 5.5 g
WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW
I really love African flavors, but you don't really encounter them much in the U.S. Here the combination of native African ingredients, all of which can be found in the States, transports you to a new culinary place. -Michael Cohen, Los Angeles, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken over medium heat in 2 teaspoons oil for 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink; remove and set aside., In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute longer., Stir in the peas, tomatoes, sweet potato, broth, peanut butter, 1-1/4 teaspoons thyme and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender. Add chicken; heat through., Serve with rice if desired. Sprinkle with remaining thyme.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 275 calories, Fat 7g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 31mg cholesterol, Sodium 636mg sodium, Carbohydrate 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW
- Sprinkle the chicken enthusiastically with salt and pepper. Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add coconut oil and allow it to melt. Add the chicken in a single layer and brown well on both sides, about 10 minutes. (Don't crowd the pan; cook in batches if you need to.) Remove the chicken to a bowl to catch the juices. In the same pot, cook the onions and ginger until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cayenne, and bay leaf, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and water, stirring to combine. Nestle the chicken into the sauce, along with any juices it released. Increase the heat to bring the pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot; it will be very tender. Break the chicken into large pieces with the side of a wooden spoon. Add the sunflower seed butter and vanilla to the pot and mix to combine. Return the chicken to the pot and cover. Heat through, about 5 minutes, then serve, sprinkled with parsley and sunflower seeds.
More about "west african chicken stew recipes"
WEST AFRICAN PEANUT STEW WITH CHICKEN RECIPE | KARA LYDON
4.5/5 (2)Category DinnerCuisine West AfricanTotal Time 1 hr 35 mins
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on each side, about 5-7 minutes. Set chicken aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and turn down heat to medium. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and sauté until fragrant, about one minute. Add cubed sweet potato and stir.
- Add broth slowly, deglazing the pan. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, peanut butter, spices, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for 60 minutes. Remove lid and let simmer til sweet potatoes are tender, another 30 minutes.
WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW (WHOLE30, PALEO)
4/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Cut each chicken thigh into 4-5 pieces and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat a large saucepan, casserole dish or a deep frying pan over medium-high heat and melt the coconut oil. Add chicken pieces and brown well on both sides, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a bowl, including all the juices.
- In the same saucepan, cook the onion and ginger for about 5-6 minutes on low/medium heat. Add garlic, coriander, paprika, chilli, bay leave and cloves and cook for about 30 seconds to release the aromas. Add tomatoes and water and stir to combine. Add the chicken pieces back in, together with the juices, stir and increase the heat to bring the pot to boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes with the lid on.
- In the original recipe you will remove the chicken from the pot after 25 minutes but I missed that step so I added the cashew or sunflower butter and vanilla to the pot with the chicken in it and mixed to combine and dissolve. Otherwise you would have to add the chicken back in after you’ve added the butter and vanilla. My way worked just fine as well. Stir and cook all together for a few more minutes, uncovered. Taste for seasoning and add a generous pinch of salt if you wish…I did. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or chopped spring onion and extra sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW - I'M BORED, LET'S GO...
- In large pan with high sides or dutch oven, heat oil. Brown chicken pieces, then remove from skillet and set aside.
- In same pan, sauté onions, jalapeño, garlic and ginger over medium heat, being careful not to burn the garlic, about 2-3 minutes, until onions begin to soften. Add diced tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Saute a couple more minutes. Then add the peanut butter, chicken stock and tomato paste. Stir well to combine. Return the reserved chicken back to the pan, stir and simmer about 15 minutes.
WEST AFRICAN-STYLE CHICKEN PEANUT STEW RECIPE | TESCO REAL ...
5/5 (95)Category MainCuisine AfricanTotal Time 55 mins
10 BEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW RECIPES | YUMMLY
PALEO RECIPES: WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW - GOURMET LIVING
Cuisine Middle East & AfricaCategory FowlServings 2Total Time 55 mins
- Sprinkle the chicken enthusiastically with salt and pepper. Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add coconut oil and allow it to melt. Add the chicken in a single layer and brown well on both sides, about 10 minutes. (Don’t crowd the pan; cook in batches if you need to.) Remove the chicken to a bowl to catch the juices.
- In the same pot, cook the onions and ginger until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cayenne, and bay leaf, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and water, stirring to combine. Nestle the chicken into the sauce, along with any juices it released. Increase the heat to bring the pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot; it will be very tender. Break the chicken into large pieces with the side of a wooden spoon. Add the sunflower seed butter and vanilla to the pot and mix to combine. Return the chicken to the pot and cover. Heat through, about 5 minutes, then serve, sprinkled with parsley and sunflower seeds.
NIGERIAN CHICKEN STEW - LOW CARB AFRICA
4.9/5 (9)Total Time 55 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 449 per serving
CHICKEN STEW (AFRICAN STYLE) - IMMACULATE BITES
4.9/5 (30)Calories 651 per servingCategory Main
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and sauté stirring, frequently, any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until chicken is brown.
- If using fresh tomatoes, blend tomatoes, onions, garlic, and onions. Pour the tomatoes blend in the pot of chicken, bring to a boil and let it simmer until tender (depending on the chicken) about 20- 30 minutes, frequently stirring the saucepan to prevent burns.
- If using tomato sauce; add the onion, sauté until tender, about 4-5- minutes. Pour tomato sauce, curry powder, smoked paprika, thyme, bay leaf, garlic, and bouillon powder. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Add about 2 cups of water to the pan.
WEST AFRICAN PEANUT STEW WITH CHICKEN L PANNING THE GLOBE
4.9/5 (8)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory Main DishCalories 587 per serving
- Rinse chicken parts, pat dry, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat oil (2 tablespoons) in a large stew pot or dutch oven till hot, but not smoking. Brown the chicken over medium-high heat in batches, (4-5 pieces at time) about 3 minutes per side. Once chicken is browned, set it aside.
- Pour 2 additional tablespoons of oil into the pot and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, until fragrant and somewhat softened, about 3 minutes. Return chicken to pot. Add the cubed sweet potatoes, tomatoes (2 cups), cayenne pepper (3/4 teaspoon), and only 4 cups (out of 6) of chicken broth.
- In a bowl, whisk the peanut butter (1 cup) with the other two cups of broth. When fully combined, pour the mixture into the stew pot. Bring the to a boil, reduce heat to a steady low simmer and cook, uncovered , for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove stew from heat. Using tongs, lift chicken pieces out of stew, remove meat from bones and shred. You won’t need the bones for this recipe. Return shredded chicken to stew pot. Season stew with salt and fresh pepper, to taste.
AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW | FOODS FROM AFRICA
Servings 4Calories 299 per servingEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW - A RECIPE RIGHT OUT OF WELL …
5/5 (1)Estimated Reading Time 7 minsServings 4
WEST AFRICAN RECIPES - OLIVEMAGAZINE
Cuisine West African
ONE-POT WEST AFRICAN SPICY CHICKEN AND PEANUT STEW
5/5 (1)Total Time 45 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 473 per serving
READERS’ RECIPE SWAP: PEANUT BUTTER | FOOD | THE GUARDIAN
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
JULES FOOD...: WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW
WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW RECIPE • WIKI RECIPES
WEST AFRICAN-STYLE CHICKEN PEANUT STEW RECIPE - AFRICAN ...
AFRICAN AFRICAN RECIPES THE VERY BEST AFRICAN COOKBOOK ...
WEST AFRICAN CUISINE RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
WEST AFRICAN CHICKEN STEW RECIPE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make African style chicken stew?Season chicken with, salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning. Set aside. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and sauté stirring, frequently, any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, until chicken is brown. If using fresh tomatoes, blend tomatoes, onions, garlic, and onions.
What can I use to make West African peanut stew?West African Peanut Stew. A hearty stew that's super-easy to make and great for peanut butter lovers. Can be made vegetarian or with chicken. In a pinch, feel free to use vegetable or corn oil for peanut oil, powdered ginger for fresh, water for stock, etc. Kale works well in place of collard greens.
What kind of stew is popular in West Africa?You should receive an email shortly. Creamy peanut stews are a familiar dish in West African cooking and this easy chicken version is a delicious one to try as a new family dinner.
How do you make peanut stew with chicken?In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on each side, about 5-7 minutes. Set chicken aside. Add remaining olive oil and turn down heat to medium. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.