LAMB SHANK AND BARLEY SOUP WITH LOTS OF VEGIES
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based pot. Brown shanks on all sides, remove from pot and set aside. Melt butter, then add onions, garlic, carrots, leek, celery, parsnip and thyme. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes until softened. Add potatoes and cook for five minutes. Add water, pearl barley, shanks and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 60 minutes, until shanks are tender and meat is falling off the bone. Remove shanks and shred meat with your fingers or a fork. Discard bones. Return lamb to the pot. Season with salt and pepper, add chopped parsley and serve.
ALE BARLEY LAMB SHANKS
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/325ºF/gas 3.
- Place a large casserole pan on a high heat, and fry the lamb shanks in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, while you halve, wash and roughly chop the leeks.
- Add them to the pan with the pearl barley, umami paste and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then stir well.
- Pour in the ale and 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar, then cover with 1.2 litres of water.
- Cook in the oven for 2 hours 30 minutes, or until tender, then dish on up. Easy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 783 calories, Fat 35.2 g fat, SaturatedFat 12.8 g saturated fat, Protein 65.6 g protein, Carbohydrate 48.8 g carbohydrate, Sugar 6.2 g sugar, Sodium 1.5 g salt, Fiber 0.1 g fibre
BEER-BRAISED LAMB SHANKS
Lamb, a classic springtime meat, stars in this comforting dish that's perfect for the chilly, dreary days between winter and spring. Garnish with sliced green onions. Breaking up the cooking time yields a superior texture and flavor but you can also cook the lamb all at once, simmering until fork-tender for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a deep-sided pan or pot over medium-high heat. Add lamb and cook, turning as needed, until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and reduce heat to medium.
- Place chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic in the pan. Season with a large pinch of salt. Cook and stir until vegetable juices start to come out, about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to coat, about 1 minute. Pour in beer and stir in rosemary. Raise heat to high and bring sauce mixture to a simmer.
- Toss lamb shanks in with the sauce mixture. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until lamb is nearly fork-tender, flipping lamb after 1 hour, about 2 hours. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
- Skim the fat off the top of the sauce, if desired. Cover and bring lamb to a simmer over low heat. Flip and continue simmering until meat is fork-tender and nearly falling off the bone, about 45 minutes. Place lamb shanks in a bowl to keep warm.
- Bring sauce to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced by half but not too thick, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Plate the lamb shanks and spoon sauce on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 387 calories, Carbohydrate 22.4 g, Cholesterol 82.2 mg, Fat 14.4 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 29.8 g, SaturatedFat 3.9 g, Sodium 1362.8 mg, Sugar 7 g
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH BARLEY
This is a recipe of my mother, Mary Marble Wettergreen, which she often prepared in the oven. But I have found that lamb shanks are ideally suited to the crockpot,. Assemble the crockpot version the night before or very early in the morning.
Provided by Beth Wettergreen
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In heavy skillet or dutch oven, brown lamb shanks in hot olive oil. Remove shanks and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic and spices in oil until onion is soft.
- At this point you can transfer the entire dish to the crock pot, or cook it in the dutch oven. Add salt, barley, tomatoes, tomato paste, water (and wine if desired) to shanks. Make sure all the barley is immersed in liquid.
- TO BAKE: Cover Dutch oven closely and bake in a 325 degree oven for 3 hours or until shanks are very tender and falling off the bone.
- CROCKPOT: Cook the dish on "Low" for at least 8 hours. I found it easiest to assemble the night before and then just plug in the crockpot when I leave for work in the morning.
- In either case, turn off the heat and let the dish sit uncovered for 10-20 minutes. Use a tablespoon and skim off any excess fat from the top before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 762.9, Fat 35.7, SaturatedFat 12.6, Cholesterol 204, Sodium 3680.3, Carbohydrate 38, Fiber 7.8, Sugar 4.8, Protein 65.1
LAMB SHANKS WITH PEARL BARLEY RISOTTO
Sensationally tender lamb shanks make for the perfect comfort meal on a cold evening
Provided by em_macaussie
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 0
- Pre-heat fan forced oven to 150 degrees celsius. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper before browning all over in a hot pan. Take a deep oven proof dish and add to it the red wine, chopped carrots, roughly chopped red onion, bouquet garni and the browned lamb shanks. Cover tightly with foil and place in the oven, basting the lamb every hour for four hours.
- 45 minutes before you remove the lamb shanks from the oven, start preparing your risotto. Heat a good amount of olive oil in a pot and add the finely chopped onion. Stir until caramelised and add the finely chopped garlic. Stir in the chopped mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pearl barley and stir well before adding enough stock to cover the mixture. Stir this through and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add more stock and continue this process until all of the stock has been used. Taste the barley and test to see if it is aldenté. If not, add more stock (if you have any) or water and cook until tender. When the barley is tender, stir through the spinach and parmesan. Season to taste.
- To serve, place a generous spoon full of risotto on each plate or bowl and top with a gorgeously tender lamb shank. Spoon over the pan juices and vegetables from the lamb dish.
BARLEY AND LAMB STEW
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss the lamb with the salt, pepper and flour.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add half of the lamb, and brown on all sides, approximately 7 to 8 minutes total. Remove the lamb to a bowl and repeat with the remaining oil and lamb. Remove the second batch of lamb to the bowl and add the carrots to the pot. Saute the carrots for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return all of the lamb to the pot along with the grits and stir to combine. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, decrease the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the lamb and grits are tender. Five minutes before the stew is finished, add the oregano. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired. Serve in bowls.
More about "ale barley lamb shanks recipes"
BEER-BRAISED LAMB SHANKS RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
5/5 (3)Total Time 3 hrs 15 minsCategory Lamb Shank RecipesCalories 420 per serving
- Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole (with a tight-fitting lid) over a medium heat. Add the lamb shanks and cook to brown all over for a few minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pot and fry the onion, celery, carrot and garlic over a gentle heat for 10 minutes until really soft and beginning to colour. Return the lamb shanks to the pot and pour in the ale and stock. Season well, add the herbs, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover with the lid and cook over a low heat for 2½ hours, turning halfway through, until the lamb shanks are meltingly tender.
- Remove the lamb to a warmed serving dish and keep warm under foil. Discard the bay leaves. Bring the sauce to the boil and reduce it by half until it’s nice and glossy.
- Whisk in the butter and return the lamb to the casserole to warm through, if necessary. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with creamy mash.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH RICH GRAVY (NO FAIL RECIPE + …
Reviews 18Calories 715 per servingCategory Cooking Tips And How Tos
- 2. Clean and rough chop all the veggies and garlic and set aside. Pat dry the lamb shanks and season them well with salt and pepper.
- 3. Heat oil over medium-high heat in the braiser/Dutch oven (or a large heavy skillet) and sear the lamb shanks for about 2-3 mins on each side. Work in batches. Remove when nicely browned and set aside.
- 4. Lower the heat to medium and add the veggies and garlic, stir them and let them soften for 4-5 minutes. Add the flour and the tomato paste, stir and cook for one minute.
LAMB SHANKS WITH BARLEY | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
5/5 (17)Calories 370 per servingTotal Time 7 hrs 20 mins
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine carrots, celery, tomatoes, broth, barley, onion, the water, and pepper. Add meat to cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours (do not use high-heat setting) or until lamb pulls easily from bones and barley is tender.
- Remove meat from slow cooker; transfer to a serving platter. Skim off fat from vegetable-barley mixture. If desired, stir in vinegar. Serve with lamb. Id desired, top each serving with fresh snipped rosemary.
MUSTARD BRAISED LAMB SHANKS | RICARDO
5/5 (94)Category Main DishesServings 6Total Time 3 hrs 35 mins
LAMB AND BARLEY CASSEROLE RECIPE | MAGGIE BEER
SLOW-COOKED LAMB SHANKS WITH BARLEY RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
Servings 4Total Time 2 hrsCategory Dinner
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F/Gas 3). Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish, add the shanks in batches and cook over high heat until browned on all sides. Remove the lamb to a side plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the dish and cook until softened. Return all the lamb to the casserole dish. Add the tomato, wine, bay leaf, lemon zest, capsicum and 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) water and bring to the boil. Cover the dish and cook in the oven for 2–3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone and the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, wash the barley, then drain well. Put it in a large saucepan with 1.25 litres (44 fl oz/5 cups) water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, or until soft. Drain.
- Season the shanks with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Sprinkle the parsley over the top before serving. Serve with the barley and a salad.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH GUINNESS & BARLEY RECIPE | WOOLWORTHS
Cuisine BritishCategory MainsServings 4Total Time 2 hrs 5 mins
- Heat oil in a large casserole dish. Brown lamb shanks on all sides and remove from casserole. Empty vegetable mix bag into pot and stir over heat for 5 minutes.
- Add Guinness and stir well to loosen sediment from base of pot. Stir in tomatoes, stock and 1 cup water and bring to the boil. Add barley, stir well and return lamb shanks to pot.
- Transfer casserole to the oven. Cook for about 2 hours, adding more water if needed. Spoon into deep plates and sprinkle with parsley.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH PEARL BARLEY AND ROOT VEGETABLES ...
Cuisine BritishCategory Main CourseServings 4
LAMB SHANKS - IRISH STYLE BRAISED LAMB SHANKS RECIPE
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
ALE BARLEY LAMB SHANKS RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
ALE BARLEY LAMB SHANKS | JAMIE OLIVER LAMB RECIPES
JAMIE OLIVER - ALE & BARLEY LAMB SHANKS | QUICK AND EASY ...
10 BEST LAMB SHANKS SLOW COOKER RECIPES | YUMMLY
ALE BARLEY LAMB SHANKS - FOOD NEWS
JAMIE OLIVER'S PERSIAN LAMB SHANKS WITH ALE | CELEBRITY ...
ALE BARLEY LAMB SHANKS | JAMIE OLIVER LAMB RECIPES ...
ALE BARLEY LAMB SHANKS | JAMIE OLIVER LAMB RECIPES ...
ALE BARLEY LAMB SHANKS RECIPES - YAKCOOK.COM
10 BRAISED LAMB SHANK RECIPES THAT ARE PERFECT COLD ...
BEER-BRAISED LAMB SHANK WITH MUSHROOM BARLEY PILAF ...
JAMIE OLIVER LAMB | FOOD RECIPES
LAMB SHANK RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
You'll also love