BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH LEMON-MUSTARD DRESSING
This recipe, adapted from the Los Angeles restaurant Mozza, dresses mixed frisée lightly, with a simple dressing of two kinds of mustard, lemon juice and olive oil. It's done in minutes, and serves as a light, tart side for pretty much any occasion, whether a holiday feast or a weeknight meal.
Provided by Adam Nagourney
Categories easy, quick, weekday, salads and dressings
Yield 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mustards and 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice.
- While whisking vigorously, drizzle in the olive oil until thickened. Adjust lemon juice to taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place greens in a serving bowl and toss with just enough dressing to lightly coat them. Reserve any remaining dressing for another use.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 135, UnsaturatedFat 9 grams, Carbohydrate 8 grams, Fat 11 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 2 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 321 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Add greens and toss just before serving.
SICILIAN SWEET & SAVORY BUCATINI WITH BROCCOLI RABE
Provided by rachael-ray
Number Of Ingredients 1
- Step 1Bring 3 to 4 inches of water to a full boil in a large pot. Season with salt, add the broccoli rabe and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes; drain. Refill the pot with 6 quarts water and bring to a boil for the pasta. Pat the broccoli rabe dry. Step 2In a large skillet, heat the oil, three turns of the pan, over medium. Add the anchovies; cook, stirring often, until they break down and melt into the oil, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, chile pepper, shallot and raisins. Cook, stirring often, until the shallot softens, about 3 minutes. Add the stock and wine, then the saffron; let it bloom in the sauce.Step 3Salt the boiling water, add the pasta and cook until 1 minute shy of the package directions, 7 to 8 minutes.Step 4Add the broccoli rabe to the saffron sauce and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.Step 5Add 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water to the sauce, then drain the pasta. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine. Add the parsley; season with salt to taste. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls topped with the cheese and nuts.
BITTER GREEN AND EGG SALAD
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the greens and green onions and toss to coat well. Top with eggs and capers.
- *For perfectly hard-cooked eggs, place eggs in a large pot with cold water to cover. Bring just to a boil then remove from heat. Cover pot and let stand 15 minutes. Rinse under cold water and peel.
BITTER GREEN SALAD WITH ROASTED PEARS
- Roast pears and make salad:
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss pears with oil and spread in 1 layer in a 17- by 12-inch shallow baking pan, then season with salt and pepper. Roast pears, stirring and turning over twice, until pears are tender and beginning to brown, 20 to 30 minutes, then cool about 15 minutes.
- While pears are roasting and cooling, tear enough tender chicory and escarole leaves (discard ribs) into bite-size pieces to measure 6 cups total. Tear enough radicchio, watercress, mizuna, and romaine into bite-size pieces to measure 10 cups total. Toss torn greens in a large bowl and reserve remaining greens for another use.
- Make dressing and toss salad:
- Whisk together shallot, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Just before serving, add roasted pears and dressing to greens and toss to combine well.
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH MELTED CHEESE
- Heat the broiler to high.
- Whisk the red wine vinegar with 1/4 cup olive oil in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Add the radicchio and arugula and toss to coat them nicely. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Pile the salad on ovenproof plates or an ovenproof platter and top with the cheese. Broil the salad just until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the toasted hazelnuts on top and finish with a drizzle of saba. Serve right away.
BITTER HERBS SALAD
Bitter herbs - the maror - are part of the Seder ritual, symbolizing the bitterness of slavery experienced by the Jews in Egypt. Endive, romaine and chicory (for which I've substituted radicchio) are present on many Sephardic ritual platters, but often they also appear in salads served with the meal. This can be served as a separate course or as a side dish.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories easy, quick, salads and dressings
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Wash and dry the romaine lettuce leaves and break into medium pieces. Separate the radicchio leaves and cut into medium pieces. Rinse and dry the endives and slice crosswise about 3/4 inch thick. Toss together all of the greens, the celery and the scallions in a large salad bowl and sprinkle the herbs over the top.
- Skin the garlic clove, cut in half and remove green shoots. Place in a mortar and pestle with a generous pinch of salt and mash to a paste. Work in the lemon juice and then the olive oil. Taste and adjust salt. Transfer to a jar until ready to serve the salad.
- Just before serving, shake the dressing in the jar, pour over the salad and toss.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 185, UnsaturatedFat 15 grams, Carbohydrate 5 grams, Fat 18 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 2 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 363 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram
More about "bitter greens salad recipes"
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH CAPER VINAIGRETTE - CHOWHOUND
BITTER GREENS SALAD RECIPE | RECIPELAND
BITTER GREENS ORANGE SALAD RECIPE - RACHAEL RAY SHOW
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH SESAME DRESSING RECIPE
BITTER GREENS SALAD | CANADIAN LIVING
TRICOLOR BITTER GREENS SALAD RECIPE | MYRECIPES
40 WAYS YOU'LL LOVE USING BITTER GREENS | SAVEUR
FRENCH LENTIL + BITTER GREENS SALAD - THE SIMPLE VEGANISTA
SALAD OF BITTER GREENS - READER'S DIGEST CANADA
GUIDE TO 10 AMAZING BITTER GREENS AND THEIR BENEFITS (PLUS RECIPES!)
6 TYPES OF BITTER GREENS—AND HOW TO USE THEM
MIXED BITTER GREENS SALAD - TLN
GIADA'S SIMPLE SALAD OF BITTER GREENS RECIPE - TODAY.COM
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH MELTED CHEESE | SHAPE
WARM FENNEL-AND-BITTER GREENS SALAD RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
BITTER GREENS SALAD RECIPE | GREEN SALAD RECIPES, BITTER GREENS, …
SALAD OF BITTER GREENS & WALNUTS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
SALAD OF BITTER GREENS - JAMIE GELLER
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH DIJON VINAIGRETTE RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH SOPPRESSATA & PECORINO RECIPE | EATINGWELL
CITRUS SALAD WITH BITTER GREENS - A BEAUTIFUL PLATE
BITTER GREENS WITH CRANBERRY DRESSING RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
BITTER GREENS WITH SWEET MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
BITTER GREENS CITRUS SALAD RECIPE - ANDREW ZIMMERN
BITTER GREENS SALAD RECIPE FROM RACHAEL RAY | RECIPE - RACHAEL …
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH SESAME DRESSING - SERIOUS EATS
SALAD OF BITTER GREENS AND 4 DRESSINGS - JAMIE GELLER
BITTER GREENS & FENNEL SALAD | ITALIAN FOOD FOREVER
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH TRUFFLE VINAIGRETTE – DANI VALENT
20 BITTER GREENS IDEAS | RECIPES, BITTER GREENS, SALAD RECIPES
STEAK AND BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH CRISPY POTATOES AND LEMON …
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH FENNEL RECIPE | RECIPES.NET
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH SPICY BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE - COLAVITA …
BITTER GREENS RECIPES, INCLUDING STIR-FRIES, PASTAS, SALADS AND SOUPS ...
BEST BITTER GREENS SALAD RECIPES | QUICK AND EASY - FOOD NETWORK
HEALTHY HOLIDAY RECIPES: BITTER GREENS SALAD - BREATHE TOGETHER …
BITTER GREEN SALAD WITH NUTTY VINAIGRETTE - CHRISTINA COOKS
BITTER GREENS AND SAUERKRAUT SALAD | COOKING WITH DR. SIRI CHAND
BITTER GREENS SALAD RECIPE - CLEAN EATING
BITTER GREENS SALAD WITH ROASTED BEETS AND ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What are Bitter Greens and what do they taste like?The days are getting colder, and that means bitter greens are about to come into season and make your salads, soups, and casseroles truly sing. Bitter greens don’t just provide flavor. They’re some of the healthiest vegetables around, loaded with the nutrients you need to get through the winter.
What can I make with kale and mustard greens?Recipes to Try: Tahini-Lemon Kale Salad, Quinoa-Stuffed Kale Rolls with Goat Cheese, Squash-and-Kale Toasts. Mustard greens refer to the leaves of the Brassica juncea plant, whose seeds are used to make brown mustard.
What is the best salad to serve with vinegar?A simple salad of bitter greens —escarole, frisee, and radicchio—mixed with oil and vinegar makes a zesty crowd-pleasing first course. In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Add greens and toss just before serving.
What are mustard greens?Mustard greens refer to the leaves of the Brassica juncea plant, whose seeds are used to make brown mustard. They’re particularly popular in African, East Asian, and South Asian cuisines, where they’re commonly braised, stewed, and fried, both with and without meat, as well as pickled.