A Scottish favourite, this is one of the best ways to cook leeks - slowly and gently in their own juice
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Buffet, Side dish, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 3
- The day before you want to serve this dish, cut the leeks from top to root and wash thoroughly under cold running water. Thinly slice them on the diagonal and put into plastic bags and chill until ready to cook.
- To serve, put a large pan over a medium heat, add the butter and let it melt over the base of the pan. Add the leeks and plenty of seasoning and stir to coat in the butter. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pan and cook the leeks gently for about 15 minutes, stirring half way through until they are tender. Serve with extra butter and a sprinkling of thyme leaves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 81 calories, Fat 6 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 5 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 3 grams protein, Sodium 0.13 milligram of sodium
- Lightly saute the onion and garlic in a little of the butter until onion mix has softened.
- Place the leeks into salted, boiling water, reduce the heat to simmer and cook 2-3 minutes. Drain the leeek and refresh in icy cold water.
- Place the leek in a greased shallow casserole dish, dot with the butter and sprinkle with seasoning. Cover with lid or foil and cook at 180c for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 159.9, Fat 9, SaturatedFat 5.5, Cholesterol 22.9, Sodium 103, Carbohydrate 19.4, Fiber 2.5, Sugar 5.3, Protein 2.2
SAUTEED CARROTS AND LEEKS
- Combine leeks, carrots, chicken broth, butter, sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper in a skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes. Cook and stir mixture until leeks and carrots are lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 77.2 calories, Carbohydrate 10.3 g, Cholesterol 10.2 mg, Fat 4 g, Fiber 1.7 g, Protein 0.9 g, SaturatedFat 2.5 g, Sodium 221.3 mg, Sugar 5.2 g
BUTTERED PEAS & LEEKS
- Gently soften the leeks in butter and oil in your largest pan for 15-20 mins until almost meltingly soft. You can soften the leeks up to a day ahead, then just reheat in the pan before continuing the recipe. Stir in the stock, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins. Stir in the peas and spring onions for 3-5 mins more until the peas are defrosted and cooked through, then season and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 107 calories, Fat 6 grams fat, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 8 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 5 grams fiber, Protein 5 grams protein, Sodium 0.17 milligram of sodium
BUTTERED STUFFING WITH CELERY AND LEEKS
Those of you who love stuffing know that it might be the only reason to host Thanksgiving. This version is an updated classic - no dried fruit, no surprise ingredients, no "twists" - just a very buttery, deeply savory stuffing made with garlic, leeks and a lot of celery. The bread is crusty and torn, never cubed (for those crisp, craggy edges), and the whole thing is baked in a baking dish, never inside the turkey (to keep it light and fluffy with a custardy interior and a golden-brown top). All stuffing needs two trips to the oven: once, covered, to cook it through and twice, uncovered, to crisp up the top. You can do the first bake ahead of time if you like, or do one after the other if the timing works out that way.
Provided by Alison Roman
Categories dinner, stuffing and dressing, side dish
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Using your hands, tear bread, crust and all, into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces. (Alternatively, you can cut the bread with a knife, but I prefer the way the craggy bits toast and soak up the goods.) Place chunks on a rimmed baking sheet, and let sit uncovered at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours. If you're short on time, you can toast the chunks in a 300-degree oven instead, tossing occasionally, until lightly crisped, but not browned, on the outside.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine olive oil and 4 tablespoons butter. Once butter has melted, add the garlic and leeks. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are bright green and totally softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add celery, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until bright green and tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add white wine, and cook until reduced by about three-quarters, 3 to 4 minutes. Add red-pepper flakes, if using, and remove from heat.
- Whisk together broth and eggs in a medium bowl. Place bread in a large bowl (you want a lot of room for mixing, so go big), and add the leek and celery mixture, parsley, chives and marjoram. Stir to coat so that everything is evenly distributed, trying not to totally crush the bread. Pour the egg mixture over everything and toss a few times. Let sit a minute or two and give another toss. Repeat twice until all the liquid has absorbed and evenly distributed to each and every piece of bread.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish (a 9-by-13 pan also works), making sure not to pack it too tightly. (You want to keep the bread in the stuffing as light as possible.) Dot the top with the remaining 4 tablespoons butter, making sure to pay extra attention to the corners, where the stuffing will get the crispiest.
- Cover with foil and bake until the stuffing is sizzling at the edges and completely cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. If it's not yet time to serve, remove stuffing from oven and set aside. (If you are nearly ready to serve, proceed directly to the next step and continue without pausing.)
- When ready to serve, remove foil and increase temperature to 425 degrees. Bake stuffing until crispy, crunchy and impossibly golden brown on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Scatter with celery leaves, if using, and serve.
HERBED CHICKEN BREASTS WITH BUTTERED LEEKS
Here's an adaptation of a lovely, simple recipe created by Chef Jerry Traunfeld; it arrived in one of NPR's Lynne Rossetto Kasper's "Weeknight Kitchen" emailings. If you prefer, substitute 1/2 cup chopped dill for the 2 Tbs tarragon or marjoram. For leeks as a side dish minus the chicken, just carry out steps 1 and 2, then season to taste and serve. For a different side dish, carry out steps 1 and 2 but substitute sliced carrots for half the leeks and add garlic to taste plus a little lemon juice.
Provided by echo echo
Categories Chicken Breast
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a large skillet bring the chicken broth and 2 Tbs butter to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Cook leeks in the broth mixture over medium heat about 8 minutes, until tender with the broth boiled down enough that leeks are not completely submerged.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and place on top of the simmering leeks, spooning some of leeks over the chicken.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, 10-15 minutes until done.
- Remove chicken and keep warm on a warmed platter.
- Increase the heat under the leeks to high and stir in the lemon juice, the remaining 2 Tbs butter, and the chopped herb. When the butter melts, taste the sauce and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Pour the leek sauce over the chicken and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 290.6, Fat 15.6, SaturatedFat 8.2, Cholesterol 106, Sodium 522.2, Carbohydrate 8.2, Fiber 1, Sugar 2.2, Protein 28.9
More about "buttered leeks recipes"
BUTTERED LEEKS | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
Cuisine GeneralCategory Sides, Root Vegetables, Sunday RoastServings 2Estimated Reading Time 50 secs
BRAISED LEEKS RECIPE - WEEKEND AT THE COTTAGE
SAFFRON AND LEEK BUTTER RECIPES
BUTTERY LEEKS AND PEAS - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
BUTTERED CABBAGE AND LEEKS WITH MUSTARD SEEDS - FOODLE CLUB
BUTTERED LEEKS RECIPE - NINA ZAGAT | FOOD & WINE
MUSTARD-BUTTERED LEEKS RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
BUTTERED FISH RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
20 LEEK RECIPES THE FAMILY WILL LOVE - INSANELY GOOD
BUTTER SAUTéED LEEKS WITH GARLIC | JUST DO EAT!
BUTTERY SAUTéED LEEK WITH BACON - THE DARING GOURMET
BUTTERED LEEKS RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
BUTTERY LEEKS WITH THYME RECIPE - MELISSA RUBEL JACOBSON | FOOD …
BUTTERED LEEKS - HUNGRY HEALTHY HAPPY
HOW TO COOK LEEKS IN BUTTER (ONLY 2 INGREDIENTS)
BUTTERED STUFFING WITH CELERY AND LEEKS RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
BUTTERED STUFFING WITH CELERY AND LEEKS | RECIPE CART
SAUTEED BUTTERED LEEKS - MY RECIPE MAGIC
SPICED BUTTERED LEEKS AND CARROTS - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
BUTTERED LEEKS RECIPE - OLIVEMAGAZINE
BUTTERED LEEKS AND RADISHES RECIPE | MYRECIPES
BUTTERED LEEKS RECIPE | COOKING SELF
BUTTERED LEEKS RECIPE FROM LEITHS HOW TO COOK BY LEITHS SCHOOL OF …
YUZU SALMON WITH BUTTERED LEEKS BEST RECIPES
BUTTERED SAUTéED LEEKS - VEGGIE DESSERTS
BUTTERED LEEKS | RECIPE CART
SEARED HALIBUT WITH BUTTERED LEEKS AND PEAS - SITKA SALMON SHARES
SIMPLE SAUTéED LEEKS • SALT & LAVENDER
MUSTARD BUTTERED LEEKS RECIPE - THE TELEGRAPH
BUTTERED CABBAGE AND LEEKS RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
BUTTERED LEEKS AND RADISHES RECIPE | REAL SIMPLE
BUTTERED PEAS WITH LEEKS AND MINT RECIPE | SIDECHEF
BUTTERED PEAS & LEEKS - BBC GOOD FOOD MIDDLE EAST
BUTTERED STUFFING WITH CELERY AND LEEKS — ALISON ROMAN
BUTTERED LEEKS - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
BUTTERED LEEKS - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES - FOODDIEZ.COM
BUTTERED LEEKS | BBC GOOD FOOD RECIPES, VEGETABLE DISHES, RECIPES
PAN-FRIED T-BONE AND BUTTERED LEEKS | SO DELICIOUS
SALMON WITH BUTTERED LEEKS & ROASTED TOMATOES - WAITROSE
MUSTARD BUTTERED LEEKS RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #low-protein #5-ingredients-or-less #side-dishes #vegetables #australian #easy #dietary #low-sodium #low-calorie #low-in-something
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook leeks in butter?In a large frying pan or sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Lift the leeks out of the water, shaking any excess, and add them to the pan. Do not drain the leeks into a colander, since that will dump the dirt back onto the leeks. Sprinkle the leeks with the salt and stir to combine.
What is the best way to cook leeks and celery?Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine olive oil and 4 tablespoons butter. Once butter has melted, add the garlic and leeks. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are bright green and totally softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add celery, and season with salt and pepper.
How to cook leeks and garlic in a pan?Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine olive oil and 4 tablespoons butter. Once butter has melted, add the garlic and leeks. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are bright green and totally softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
How long to cook leeks for?Cook, stirring every 5 minutes or so until the leeks are very tender, 30 to 40 minutes total. Take the pan off the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of butter. Stir until the butter is melted into the leeks. Serve hot or warm. Store leftover cooked leeks in an airtight container for up to 4 days.