VEGETABLE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
This recipe was found in the 2004 Healthy Latino Recipes Made with Love. It makes an enchilada filled not with canned veggies but with fresh ones.
Provided by Sydney Mike
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 8 enchiladas, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, then spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Also lightly spray a 13"x9" baking pan.
- In the skillet over medium heat, saute onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper & zucchini & cook for 5 minutes more, then stir in chicken & set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine enchilada sauce & tomato sauce, then add just 1/2 cup of this sauce to the veggie/chicken mixture & set aside the rest of the sauce for topping.
- Soften tortillas on the stovetop or in the microwave oven.
- Place equal amounts of veggie/chicken mixture (about a rounded 1/4 cup) in center of each tortilla, then roll up & place seam side down in the prepared baking pan.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the top of the tortillas & cover loosely with foil.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, then uncover & sprinkle cheese over the top & bake another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
These easy-to-make enchiladas are filled with beans, spinach and cheese. Serve them with rice on the side.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 6 servings (2 enchiladas each)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the sauce: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chile powder, cumin and cayenne, and continue to cook, stirring, until the spices are toasted, about 1 minute. Add 2 cups water, the tomato puree and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly (it should be looser and thinner than marinara sauce), 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- For the filling: Squeeze all the excess moisture out of the spinach. Put it into a large bowl with the pinto beans, and squeeze with your hands to combine and smash up the beans a little. Add half of both the Cheddar and the pepper Jack, half of both the sour cream and the scallions and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and stir to combine.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Lay the tortillas out on a work surface, and spread 1 side of each with about 1 teaspoon of tomato sauce. Put about 1/4 cup of the filling across the middle of each tortilla. Roll each up, then shingle them in 2 even rows in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the rolled tortillas, and sprinkle with the remaining cheeses. Cover the baking dish loosely with foil, and bake until the cheeses are melted and the filling is hot, about 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking to heat completely through, about 10 minutes more.
- For the topping: Whisk together the remaining sour cream, the lime juice and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Drizzle the mixture over the baked enchiladas, and sprinkle with the remaining scallions.
ROASTED GREEN CHILE-CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- Make the salsa: Put the tomatillos, jalapenos, and onion in a saucepan with the vinegar and water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and poach until the tomatillos are soft, about 10 minutes. Drain. Put the vegetables in a blender, add the cumin, and puree. Add the cilantro, lime juice, and salt, and pulse to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the poblano peppers directly over the flame on a gas stove and cook, turning with tongs, until the skin is charred and blackened. (Or, if you have an electric stove, put the chiles on a baking sheet and broil, turning with tongs, until the skin is blackened.) Skin the peppers; then seed, core, and dice them.
- Heat a 2-count of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and caramelized, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the cumin and cook 1 minute. Then sprinkle on the flour and cook, stirring, 1 more minute. Gradually pour in the stock, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer, stirring to make sure the flour doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan; the liquid will thicken. Fold in the chicken, diced peppers, and cilantro, and season well with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the dish: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Get your self a large baking dish. Dip a tortilla into the tomatilla salsa and put it on a cutting board. Put a big scoop of the chicken mixture in the center, sprinkle with a little of the cheese, and roll the tortilla like a cigar to enclose the filling. Use a spatula to place it seam side down in the baking dish. Continue to fill all of the tortillas and put them in the baking dish. Pour the remaining tomatilla salsa over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until bubbly and cracked on top. Serve hot with the guacamole and sour cream.
- Halve and pit the avocados. Scoop out the flesh with a tablespoon into a mixing bowl. Mash the avocados with a fork, leaving them somewhat chunky. Add the remaining ingredients, and fold everything together to gently mix. Lay a piece of plastic wrap right on the surface of the guacamole so it doesn't brown and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Warm oil in skillet and add chicken and onion. Cook 15 minutes or until chicken is browned and just about done. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place chicken on cookie sheet and top each breast with 1 to 2 slices of tomato and 2 to 3 slices of cheese. Place in oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese melts. Remove from oven, add 2 to 3 slices of avocado on top of each breast, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 540.7 calories, Carbohydrate 12.1 g, Cholesterol 121.8 mg, Fat 36.7 g, Fiber 7.6 g, Protein 42.8 g, SaturatedFat 14 g, Sodium 373 mg, Sugar 2.7 g
CALIFORNIA STYLE ENCHILADAS
I was taught this by a Hispanic person in Los Angeles, I planned to keep it in the family, but I figured what the heck. The method I was taught was rather bland, so I built on to it over the years which includes replacing corn tortillas with flour. Now I live in the southeast, and friends come for miles when they hear this is on the dinner menu. If placed in the fridge, it is even better the next day after the flavors have time to blend together.
Provided by Delete Account
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine Beef, onions, oregano, garlic, the thick part of the green onion and green chili's into frying pan and cook until beef is browned; Drain but do not rinse. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a thin layer of enchilada sauce into about a 9x13 baking dish, just enough to fill the bottom.
- Place 1/4 to 1/2 cup of beef mixture into tortilla. Roll as you would a burrito and place into baking dish. Repeat 8 times until baking dish is full.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce into baking dish, ensuring no tortilla is visible upon doing so. Dish will be near 2/3 full of sauce, this is okay.
- Top wraps with any remaining beef mixture, spread evenly.
- Spread cheese over baking dish, ensure each wrap has been topped with cheese. Its not uncommon to create an entire layer of cheese over top of the wraps.
- Spread remaining green onions over cheese layer.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, until sauce is warmed and cheese is melted.
- Scoop each out onto a plate with a spatula or large spoon, top with sauce from pan if desired.
- Top with tomatoes, lettuce and sour cream if desired. Best served with refried beans and Zateran's Spanish rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 553.7, Fat 31.8, SaturatedFat 13.8, Cholesterol 111.8, Sodium 1336.9, Carbohydrate 32.5, Fiber 3, Sugar 4.7, Protein 32.9
CANYON RANCH GRILLED CHICKEN ENCHILADAS AND CALABACITAS
- For sauce, preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with oil. Place tomatoes, onion and garlic on baking sheet. Roast 15 minutes or until onion and garlic turn golden brown. While the vegetables are roasting, start preparing the enchiladas (see below). Remove vegetables from oven. Cool. Place in a blender along with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- For the enchiladas, combine paprika, cumin, and chili powder in a small bowl. Add oil and 2 tsp water and mix to form a paste. Pat all of spice paste on chicken. Grill or broil chicken 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Cool and slice each breast into long strips (about 3/4 inches wide and 4 inches long). Lay tortillas on a flat surface. Place 3 chicken strips, 2 tbsp cheese, and 2 tbsp green chile on each tortilla. Roll and place in a 9" x 13" baking pan. Cover with sauce. Reduce oven heat to 350°F. Cook enchiladas 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.
- While the enchiladas are cooking, prepare the calabacitas. Increase oven heat to 425°F. Lightly coat a sheet pan with 1 tbsp oil. Lay zucchini and yellow squash on sheet pan and roast 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Lightly coat a sauté pan with 2 tsp oil. Add zucchini, squash, tomato, onion, and corn. Sauté over medium heat about 5 minutes. Add oregano, salt, and pepper. Serve with enchiladas.
Everyone I know in Texas has a favorite "Tex-Mex" meal. My favorite Tex-Mex menu always includes these enchiladas - the chicken is a nice change of pace from beef, and the sauce isn't too spicy. Children especially like it.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6-8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Combine first seven ingredients. Divide evenly among tortillas. Roll up and place, seam side down, in a 13x9-in. baking pan. For sauce, in a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add chilies, tomato sauce, chili powder, sugar and garlic powder; mix well. Pour over tortillas. Cover with foil. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts :
ULTIMATE CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
This is like a creamy, cheesy, full-of-flavor-in-every-bite dish. The chicken is tender and moist and the tortillas are soft. The enchilada sauce is tangy and pungent and complements the creamy, rich filling so well. This is also great for entertaining because it can be fully assembled ahead of time or even frozen and cooked later. Serve with toppings such as salsa, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, and jalapenos.
Provided by NicoleMcmom
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Place chicken on a large sheet of foil and season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Seal the foil around the chicken and place the packet on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tender and no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Shred cooked chicken and set aside. Increase the oven temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- While chicken cooks, prepare tortillas. Spread both sides of each tortilla lightly with butter. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Toast each tortilla, about 10 seconds on each side, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, poblano pepper, and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add remaining salt, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring frequently, until veggies are very tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in tomatoes and cream cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and 2 cups Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon refried beans, if using, in the center of a tortilla. Add about 1/4 cup chicken filling and roll up to seal. Repeat with remaining beans and filling. Pour 1/4 cup sauce in the bottom of 9x13-inch baking dish. Arrange enchiladas in a single layer over the sauce. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top and spread to evenly coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving with desired toppings.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 827.1 calories, Carbohydrate 52.8 g, Cholesterol 162.9 mg, Fat 47.4 g, Fiber 6.3 g, Protein 47.2 g, SaturatedFat 27.6 g, Sodium 2146.9 mg, Sugar 2.8 g
Get a freezable Mexican meal rolling in no time with a no-cook filling and a sauce made from pantry ingredients. Pepper Jack cheese and a combination of black beans and corn tortillas give this meatless dish complete protein.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Make sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add 1 teaspoon cumin, flour, and tomato paste; cook, whisking, 1 minute. Whisk in broth and 3/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Make filling: In a large bowl, combine 2 cups cheese, beans, spinach, corn, scallion whites, and remaining 1 teaspoon cumin; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil two 8-inch square baking dishes; set aside. Stack tortillas, and wrap in damp paper towels; microwave on high for 1 minute. Or stack and wrap in aluminum foil, and heat in oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Top each tortilla with a heaping 1/3 cup of filling; roll up tightly and arrange, seam side down, in prepared baking dishes.
- Dividing evenly, sprinkle enchiladas with remaining 1 cup cheese, and top with sauce. Bake, uncovered, until hot and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; serve garnished with scallion greens.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 405 g, Fat 19 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 19 g
More about "california chicken and vegetable enchiladas recipes"
25-MINUTE CHICKEN & VEGGIE ENCHILADAS RECIPE
Ratings 6Calories 393 per servingCategory Healthy Enchilada Recipes
- Preheat oven to broil with rack 5 to 6 inches from heat. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add zucchini, squash, and onion, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 1 more minute. Add chicken, salt, pepper, and 3/4 cup of the cheese; stir to combine. Cook until hot and cheese melts, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, and cover to keep warm.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Place about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture in center of each tortilla; fold tortilla around filling, and place, seam side down, in a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 11- x 7-inch (or a 2-quart) broiler-safe baking dish. Pour salsa over enchiladas, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Broil in preheated oven until hot and bubbly, about 1 1/2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.
CHICKEN AND SUMMER VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS VERDE - WILLIAMS …
4.8/5 (5)Total Time 1 hr 5 minsServings 6
CHICKEN-AND-GREEN CHILE ENCHILADAS RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS - BIGOVEN.COM
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS …
RECIPE BOX, CALIFORNIA LITE CHEESE ENCHILADAS - THE PAINTED APRON
THE SECRETS OF CALIFORNIA'S OLDEST RECIPES - TASTE
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - MY SAN FRANCISCO KITCHEN
LOADED CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
CHICKEN AND SUMMER VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS VERDE | WILLIAMS SONOMA
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS RECIPE | THE SPICE TAILOR
CHICKEN AND AVOCADO ENCHILADAS RECIPE | RECIPES.NET
SKINNY CHICKEN VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS - PICKY PALATE
CHICKEN VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS | RECIPE | VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS, …
HEALTHY CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS RECIPE
CHICKEN AND CORN ENCHILADA BAKE - CAFE DELITES
GRILLED CALIFORNIA AVOCADO CHICKEN | THE RECIPE CRITIC
VEGETABLE AND CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE | THE SPICE TAILOR
20+ EASY CHICKEN ENCHILADA RECIPES - BEST HOMEMADE MEXICAN …
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS (WITH HOMEMADE ENCHILADA SAUCE) - COOKING …
CLASSIC CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
VEGETABLE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS | EATFRESH
ENCHILADAS WITH CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE FILLING RECIPE | EAT SMARTER …
CHICKEN AND SUMMER VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS VERDE - A MENU FOR YOU
55 CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE RECIPES | TASTE OF HOME
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS | CHICKEN.CA
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS RECIPE | THE SPICE TAILOR
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS | CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES, …
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE ENCHILADAS - HEALTHY FOOD GUIDE
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS (OR SUB CAULIFLOWER!) | FEASTING AT HOME
CHICKEN, CHILI AND CHEESE ENCHILADAS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
EVA LONGORIA’S CHICKEN AND CHEDDAR ENCHILADAS RECIPE - ALL FOR …
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - HOW TO MAKE THIS QUICK & TASTY MEXICAN …
RECIPE BOX, CALIFORNIA LITE CHEESE ENCHILADAS | THE PAINTED APRON
WORLD BEST VEGETABLE RECIPES: CALIFORNIA-STYLE ENCHILADAS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make chicken enchilada sauce with vegetables?Add bell pepper & zucchini & cook for 5 minutes more, then stir in chicken & set aside. In a small bowl, combine enchilada sauce & tomato sauce, then add just 1/2 cup of this sauce to the veggie/chicken mixture & set aside the rest of the sauce for topping.
Where are cheese enchiladas made in California?Marianne Partridge is making California-style cheese enchiladas in her home kitchen in Rancho San Julian, in Central California. A tall stack of flour tortillas sits on her counter, ready to be lightly fried in a pan of vegetable oil.
What can I substitute for zucchini in chicken enchiladas?These chicken enchiladas are great for using up any veggies you have lingering in your fridge. Our chicken enchilada recipe calls for zucchini, squash and onion, but you could easily swap in spinach, onions or potatoes. Read the full recipe after the video.
How to cook chicken tortillas in the oven?Directions 1 Step 1#N#Preheat oven to broil with rack 5 to 6 inches from heat. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. 2 Step 2#N#Warm tortillas according to package directions. Place about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture in center of each... More ...