CELERY ROOT-PARSNIP LATKES
Noah Bernamoff serves his classic latkes at Mile End Deli in Brooklyn all year long. At Hanukkah, he breaks out the variations. Celery root and parsnip replace potato in this version, the sweetness of the parsnips tempered by the grassiness of the celery root. Mr. Bernamoff suggests topping these with horseradish cream.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories dinner, quick, main course
Yield About 4 dozen latkes
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place grated celery root, parsnips and onion in a large bowl. Sprinkle in matzo meal and toss mixture together with your hands. Add parsley, eggs, salt and pepper and combine again using your hands until ingredients are incorporated.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high. Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and flatten between your palms. Fry latkes, without moving them, for 4 to 5 minutes, checking that they don't over-brown. (You should be able to fry them in batches of 11 to 12, depending on pan size.) Flip latkes, turn heat down to medium-low and fry another 4 minutes, or until well browned and tender. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with additional salt. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 29, UnsaturatedFat 1 gram, Carbohydrate 4 grams, Fat 1 gram, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 1 gram, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 68 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
CELERY-ROOT AND POTATO LATKES
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 250°F.
- Coarsely grate celery root into a bowl using the 1/3-inch-wide holes of a box grater.
- Peel potatoes and coarsely grate into a large bowl. Add lemon juice and toss. Coarsely grate onions into same bowl.
- Transfer to towel, then gather up corners to form a sack and twist tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible.
- Return potatoes and onions to cleaned bowl and stir in celery root, flour, eggs, salt, pepper, and celery seeds until combined well.
- Heat 1/3 inch oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Fill a 1/4-cup measure (not tightly packed) with latke mixture and carefully spoon it into skillet, then flatten to 3 inches in diameter with a slotted spatula. Form 3 more latkes in skillet, then fry until undersides are deep golden, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. Turn over using 2 spatulas and fry until deep golden all over, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes more. (If latkes brown too quickly, lower heat to moderate.) Transfer to paper towels to drain briefly. Keep warm in 1 layer on a metal rack set in a shallow baking pan in oven. Make more latkes in same manner. Use a second rack and baking pan to keep last batches warm.
CELERY ROOT AND PARSNIP PUREE
- Peel and chop 1 pound celery root and 1 pound parsnips; cook in salted boiling water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, then puree in a blender with 1 cup milk, 2/3 cup sour cream and 2 tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the potato latkes: Place the grated potatoes in a large bowl or other food-safe container, fill it with water, and then strain. Repeat this rinsing process 2 or 3 times until the water runs clear, then drain the potatoes, squeezing out as much water as possible.
- Combine the rinsed potatoes and grated onion in a large bowl and mix them together with your hands. Add the matzo meal and mix together, then add the chives. Finally, add the eggs and massage them into the potato mixture until thoroughly incorporated. Add the salt and pepper and mix it in with your hands.
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches so that the latkes are not crowded in the skillet, take a golf ball-size portion of the potato mixture, flatten it between the palms of your hands, and add it to the skillet. Repeat.
- Cook the latkes until they're crisp and brown around the edges, about 3 minutes; then flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until crisp and deep golden brown all over and still tender inside. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture, adding a tablespoon or so of oil between batches.
- For the celery root-parsnip latkes: Follow the instructions for the potato version, substituting the celery root and parsnips for the potatoes (and skipping the rinsing step at the beginning) and substituting the parsley for the chives.
- For the butternut squash latkes: Cut the squash into chunks and pass them through the grating disk of a food processor. Then follow the instructions for the potato version, substituting the squash for the potatoes (and skipping the rinsing step at the beginning) and substituting the sage for the chives, and cooking the latkes slightly longer over slightly lower heat (about 4 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the second side over medium-low heat).
- You can reheat the latkes in a 450 degree F oven in 3 to 4 minutes.
More about "celery root parsnip latkes recipes"
PARSNIP-CELERY ROOT LATKES RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Category Healthy Vegetarian Fall RecipesCalories 215 per servingTotal Time 40 mins
- Shred parsnips and celery root. Combine egg whites, flour, chives, mustard, salt, pepper and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in the shredded vegetables.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook 4 pancakes per batch, using about 1/4 cup of batter for each. Cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Keep warm in the oven. Repeat for 3 more batches, using 2 tablespoons oil for each batch. Serve topped with crème fraîche (or sour cream) and chives, if desired.
ROOT VEGETABLE LATKES RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
CELERY ROOT AND MUSHROOM LATKES WITH ONION …
LATKES, THREE WAYS - THE GLOBE AND MAIL
CELERIAC (CELERY ROOT) RECIPES 2022 - FAMILY FOOD GARDEN
CELERY ROOT AND PARSNIP LATKES WITH HORSERADISH SOUR CREAM
CARROT AND PARSNIP VEGAN LATKES - MAY I HAVE THAT RECIPE?
CELERY ROOT LATKES RECIPE | COOKING CHANNEL
Servings 4Total Time 50 mins
CELERY ROOT LATKES - WHAT SHOULD I MAKE FOR...
CELERY ROOT-PARSNIP LATKES RECIPE | RECIPE | LATKES RECIPES, …
CELERY ROOT AND PARSNIP LATKES | RECIPES | FEASTMAGAZINE.COM
CELERY ROOT-PARSNIP LATKES RECIPE | RECIPE | HEALTHY RECIPES, …
PARSNIP AND CELERY ROOT LATKE | ALL THE LITTLE REASONS
PARSNIP LATKES BEST RECIPES
CELERY ROOT AND PARSNIP LATKES | COOK | FEASTMAGAZINE.COM
CELERY ROOT-PARSNIP LATKES | VANEAU | COPY ME THAT
PARSNIP-CELERY ROOT LATKES | PUNCHFORK
RECIPE: CELERY ROOT AND PARSNIP LATKES | FOOD - LADUE NEWS
CELERY ROOT RECIPES | MARTHA STEWART
PARSNIP AND CELERY ROOT LATKES - WEEATLIVEDOWELL.COM
CELERY ROOT LATKES RECIPE RECIPE
CELERY-ROOT AND POTATO LATKES - CEDAR DOWN FARM
PARSNIP LATKES | FOOD FOLLOWER
PARSNIP LATKES WITH HORSERADISH AND DILL - SMITTEN KITCHEN
CELERY ROOT LATKES RECIPE
POTATO LATKES RECIPE - CELERY ROOT-PARSNIP LATKES RECIPE - NYT …
PARSNIP-CELERY ROOT LATKES | RECIPE | CELERIAC RECIPES, PARSNIPS, …
PARSNIP-CELERY ROOT LATKES - MASTERCOOK
ALL THE LATKES, 25 RECIPES - RECIPES FROM NYT COOKING
RECIPE: CRISP PARSNIP LATKES - FOOD NEWS
CELERY ROOT LATKES SIDES - FORK BROCCOLI
CELERY ROOT LATKES | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS - BHG.COM
CELERY ROOT-PARSNIP LATKES RECIPE - PINTEREST.DE
CELERY ROOT-PARSNIP LATKES RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
LATKES - JEWISH RECIPES
PARSNIP-CELERY ROOT LATKES RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
You'll also love