COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN
Country Captain originated in India but has been served in the South since the earliest American colonies were founded. It was a favorite dish of General Patton and is included in the Army's Meals Ready to Eat in honor of the general. This recipe has been in my family for generations. -Sarah Ellen McKenney, Taylors, South Carolina
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place chicken in a large bowl. Mix flour, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper; sprinkle over chicken and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches on all sides; remove from pan., Add onions, peppers and garlic to drippings; cook and stir over low heat until tender. Increase heat to medium-high. Add curry powder; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, currants, parsley, thyme and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan., Bake, covered, 35-45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Skim fat. Serve chicken and sauce over rice; sprinkle with almonds and, if desired, additional parsley.
Nutrition Facts :
GROUND CHICKEN CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare pasta dinner as directed on package, with butter or margarine and milk.
- Place in a 2 quart casserole.
- Heat olive oil in large frypan, add chopped onion and sliced mushrooms, sauté till onions are just turning brown, 5 minutes.
- Add ground chicken, pepper and scramble fry with onions and mushrooms turning often until no longer pink, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, simmer for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add chicken/tomato mixture to casserole.
- Stir to mix with pasta.
- Add chopped basil, turn several times to distribute through casserole.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top of casserole and bread crumbs if using.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbling around edges and Parmesan is melted and crisp.
- Use chopped veggies, any that you have and a half pound of very lean hamburger.
EASIEST OVEN BAKED CHICKEN
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Dip the skinless chicken pieces in the melted butter/margarine. Coat with the crushed salted cracker crumbs. Place on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 593.5 calories, Carbohydrate 12.4 g, Cholesterol 173.4 mg, Fat 44.9 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 33.5 g, SaturatedFat 18.6 g, Sodium 429.4 mg, Sugar 0.1 g
EASY GARLIC CHICKEN
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a small saucepan melt butter/margarine with garlic. Dip chicken pieces in butter/garlic sauce, letting extra drip off, then coat completely with bread crumbs.
- Place coated chicken in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Combine any leftover butter/garlic sauce with bread crumbs and spoon mixture over chicken pieces. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 509.2 calories, Carbohydrate 40.4 g, Cholesterol 129.3 mg, Fat 16.5 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 47 g, SaturatedFat 8.5 g, Sodium 588.5 mg, Sugar 3.4 g
GEORGIA COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN
- In large plastic bag, mix together flour, 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper; add chicken, one piece at a time, shaking to coat.
- In large fry pan, place oil and heat to medium temperature.
- Add chicken and cook, turning, about 15 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- In same fry pan, place onions, green pepper and garlic; stir-fry about 5 minutes, or until onion is golden brown.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, white pepper, curry powder, tomatoes, chopped parsley and thyme.
- In large baking dish, place chicken.
- Pour tomato mixture over chicken (if sauce doesn't cover chicken, add a little water to fry pan to loosen pan drippings and pour over chicken).
- Place in 375F.
- oven and cook about 45 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Remove chicken and place on large serving platter with hot, fluffy rice.
- Stir currants into tomato mixture and spoon over rice.
- Sprinkle chicken with almonds and serve with chutney as an accompaniment.
CHICKEN WITH HERBED GOAT CHEESE
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Loosen the skin from the meat with your fingers, leaving one side attached.. Cut 12 thick slices of the Montrachet and place 2 slices plus a large basil leaf under the skin of each chicken breast. Rub each piece with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Bake the breasts for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked through. Serve hot or at room temperature.
More about "georgiacountrycaptainchicken recipes"
COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Combine flour, paprika, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a large ziplock plastic freezer bag. Place chicken thighs, a few at a time, in bag of flour mixture, shaking to coat. When all chicken thighs are coated, discard flour mixture.
- Heat oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium, stirring until melted. Add 4 to 5 chicken thighs, skin side down, and cook until well browned and crisp on 1 side, 6 to 7 minutes. Turn and cook until browned on other side, about 2 minutes. Transfer thighs to a plate, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Repeat twice with remaining thighs.
- Add chopped parsley, onions, bell peppers, garlic, curry powder, black pepper, nutmeg, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon salt to reserved drippings in Dutch oven; cook over medium, stirring often, until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes and raisins.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high; reduce heat to medium-low, and return chicken to Dutch oven. Cover and simmer 15 minutes; uncover and cook until a thermometer inserted into chicken thighs registers 165°F, about 15 minutes. Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Garnish with almonds and reserved chopped parsley.
DEEP SOUTH DISH: COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN
Servings 4-6Total Time 1 hrEstimated Reading Time 7 mins
CHAKHOKHBILI - AZ COOKBOOK - RECIPES FROM AZERBAIJAN ...
BEST COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN RECIPE, WHATS COOKING AMERICA
Cuisine SouthernCategory Main CourseServings 8Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
- In a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat, heat vegetable oil. Add chicken pieces and cook 5 minutes per side or until light brown. NOTE: Chicken should not be cooked through at this point.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree F. Transfer chicken to an oven-proof dish and keep warm in the oven; reserving drippings in frying pan.
- Reduce heat for the frying pan to medium low. To the pan drippings, add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are transparent. Add tomatoes, curry powder, salt, pepper, and thyme; cover pan and simmer gently an additional 15 minutes. Add the browned chicken and currants or raisins; cover and simmer another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender or until a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (juices will run clear when cut with the tip of a knife).
GEORGIAN GARLIC CHICKEN (CHKMERULI) – EAT LIKE A GIRL
4/5 (4)Estimated Reading Time 8 mins
RECIPE: GEORGIA COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN (USING CHICKEN ...
HOW TO COOK GEORGIA CHICKEN - YOUTUBE
GEORGIAN CHICKEN COOKED IN MILK AND GARLIC - SHKMERULI
CHICKEN GEORGE RECIPE FROM JENNIFER AGAN | CHICKEN GEORGE ...
GEORGIA COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
GEORGIAN FOOD: 10 DISHES TO TRY - FINE DINING LOVERS
COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN RECIPES (PAGE 1) - FOODFERRET
GEORGIA COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN RECIPE - COOKING INDEX
QUICK PEAR TART BY JACQUES PEPIN RECIPES
OVEN FRIED GARLIC CHICKEN, AS SEEN ON GEORGE HIRSCH ...
MILK STREET - COOKING SOFTWARE, COOKBOOK CREATION, RECIPES
GEORGE HIRSCH'S OVEN FRIED GARLIC CHICKEN - YOUTUBE
RECIPES AROUND THE WORLD: GEORGIAN CHICKEN IN GARLIC SAUCE ...
GEORGIA COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN- TFRECIPES
CHIPOTLE GEORGIA STYLE CHICK'N WINGS | GARDEIN
You'll also love