GOOSE WITH APPLE-PRUNE STUFFING
Does my family like this dish? I guess so-they call it "lip-smacking' goose! We're retired farmers with three children, all grown, and six grandchildren.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8-10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 26
- Sprinkle inside of goose with salt. Prick skin well; set aside. In a skillet, saute celery, onion and garlic in butter; transfer to a large bowl. Add the next 10 ingredients. Add bread crumbs until stuffing has the desired consistency. Stuff the goose. Place with breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until thermometer reads 185°. Drain fat from pan as it accumulates. If desired, make glaze: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Brush over the goose during the last 20 minutes of baking. Remove all stuffing.
Nutrition Facts :
DANISH ROAST GOOSE WITH PRUNES & APPLES
This is a traditional Christmas Eve dinner served with sweet & sour red cabbage, glazed potatoes and new carrots. The prunes & apples are served as a side dish. You can start the first 30 minutes of roasting at 400F then turn to 375F for the balance of the cooking time. Your goose should not be over 10 lbs or it could be tough
Provided by Bergy
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Soak the pitted prunes overnight.
- Clean out all excess fat from the goose (keep the fat to render for later use).
- Rub the goose inside and out with the lemon salt& pepper.
- Stuff the bird with the prunes& apples and truss the bird.
- Prick the goose all over to help the fat escape while roasting.
- Place the goose on a roasting rack on it's side in a 375F oven.
- After 30 minutes pour off the fat.
- Pour in the boiling stock& continue cooking.
- Baste the goose from time to time.
- After 1 1/2 hours turn the goose on it's other side.
- Roast for another 1 1/2 hours.
- 30 minutes before the goose is cooked pour off the pan juices, leave to cool and skim off the fat.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking lay the goose on it's back leave the oven door ajar to allow the skin to crisp or alternatively baste with several tablespoons of cold water.
- Use the pan juices (fat removed to make your gravy).
ROAST GOOSE WITH APPLE AND PRUNES
- Soak the prunes for an hour in the port.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and soften the onion, garlic and celery in the butter. Add the parsley, thyme, sage and apples. Mix thoroughly and add the prunes and port. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove excess fat from the goose cavity (use this for roasting potatoes) and dry the goose inside and out with paper towels. Rub inside and out with lemon juice and season.
- Stuff the goose with the stuffing mixture and truss. Place on a roasting rack and roast for three to three-and-a-half hours, basting occasionally. The goose is done when the juices in the thigh are pale yellow. Let it rest for 15 minutes before serving.
PRUNE AND CHESTNUT STUFFING
- Soak the prunes for an hour in the port. Meanwhile, prepare the chestnuts. Make a slit in the top of each one with a sharp knife. Put them in boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove them from the water a few at a time with a slotted spoon. Wearing clean rubber gloves to protect your fingers, slip off the outer and inner skins while the chestnuts are still hot. Place the chestnuts in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the onion, garlic, celery and thyme. Cook without browning until the onion has softened. Add the chestnuts and the prunes with the port that they have been soaking in along with the stock, and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add more stock if necessary.
- Stir in the parsley, season with salt and pepper and stuff the mixture into the goose cavity. Sew up the cavity and truss the goose.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 322, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 71 grams, Fat 3 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 3 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 399 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams, TransFat 0 grams
More about "goose with apple prune stuffing recipes"
GOOSE STUFFED WITH APPLES AND ARMAGNAC-SOAKED PRUNES …
Servings 8Total Time 4 hrs 50 minsCategory Goose
- In a small bowl, combine the prunes with the Armagnac. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 1 week. Drain the prunes well and reserve the liquid for another use.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Using paper towels, pat the goose completely dry on the outside and inside. In a large bowl, toss the prunes with the apples and garlic. Stuff the goose with the prune mixture and tie the legs together with twine. Generously rub the goose with oil and season all over with salt. Transfer the goose, breast side up, to a rack set in a roasting pan. Place the neck in the bottom of the roasting pan. Roast for 40 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven. Carefully tilt the pan and spoon the fat into a small heatproof bowl.
- Return the goose to the oven and increase the temperature to 350°. Roast for 50 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven again. Carefully tilt the pan and spoon the fat into the bowl. Remove the goose neck and reserve for snacking, if desired.
- Return the goose to the oven and increase the temperature to 400°. Roast for about 40 minutes longer, until the skin is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 160°. Transfer the goose to a work surface, tent with foil and keep warm. Pour the boiling water into the pan and scrape up any bits on the bottom using a wooden spoon. Pour the pan juices into a heatproof bowl.
APPLE, SAGE, PRUNE AND BACON STUFFING RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
Servings 1Total Time 30 minsCategory Side Dish
WHOLE ROAST GOOSE STUFFED WITH APPLES AND PRUNES RECIPE ...
5/5 (2)Category Alternative Christmas Roast RecipesCuisine British RecipesCalories 674 per serving
- The day before cooking, pierce the skin of the goose all over with the point of a sharp knife. Place the bird in a clean sink and pour over a kettle of boiling water. Pat dry with kitchen paper and chill overnight in the fridge, uncovered, to dry out. This will create lovely crisp skin and juicy flesh.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Mix the prunes and apples together, season well and use to stuff the cavity of the goose. Close the cavity with a small metal skewer.
- Rub sea salt and black pepper into the skin, place on a rack in a large roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 180°C/fan160°/gas 4 and cook the goose for another 1½ hours or until the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted between the leg and the breast. Drain off the excess fat in the bottom of the tin every 30 minutes and reserve. (See our how-to video in the know-how section below.)
GOOSE WITH PRUNE & CHESTNUT STUFFING - CHRISTMAS RECIPES ...
Servings 10Published 2013-11-05Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
ROASTED GOOSE WITH BRANDIED PRUNE STUFFING AND RED …
5/5 (2)Category Main CourseCuisine BritishCalories 940 per serving
APPLE, PRUNE AND RAISIN STUFFING RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
Servings 8Total Time 29 mins
ROAST STUFFED GOOSE WITH PRUNES IN ARMAGNAC | RECIPES ...
Cuisine FrenchEstimated Reading Time 3 minsServings 8
ROAST GOOSE WITH PRUNE, APPLE AND APRICOT STUFFING …
Servings 8Calories 824 per servingTotal Time 5 hrs
ROAST GOOSE STUFFED WITH PRUNES AND APPLES RECIPE | …
PRUNE AND APPLE STUFFING WITH SAUSAGE RECIPE - CHOWHOUND
5/5 (2)Total Time 2 hrs 55 minsCategory Side DishCalories 291 per serving
- Remove the crust from the bread. Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes and place on a baking sheet.
- Spread into an even layer and bake until light golden brown and dry to the touch, stirring halfway through, about 10 minutes total.
- Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, heat the vermouth in a medium saucepan over medium heat until simmering.
PRUNE AND APPLE STUFFING WITH SAUSAGE AND CHESTNUTS RECIPE
5/5 (1)Category Sausage, SidesServings 8Total Time 10 hrs
DELIA SMITH'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT CHRISTMAS RECIPES: ROAST ...
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
ROAST GOOSE – VOSS FAMILY RECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
NIGEL SLATER’S CHRISTMAS: ROAST GOOSE, APPLE SAUCE ...
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
ROAST GOOSE WITH TWO STUFFINGS - BBC GOOD FOOD | RECIPES ...
5/5 (3)Servings 8Cuisine FrenchTotal Time 4 hrs
HOW TO MAKE A PERFECT ROAST GOOSE, A HOLIDAY SPECTACULAR
Servings 6-8Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
ROASTED GOOSE WITH PRUNE AND APPLE STUFFING RECIPE, HOW TO ...
DANISH ROAST GOOSE WITH PRUNES APPLES RECIPES
GOOSE WITH APPLE-PRUNE STUFFING | RECIPE | CHRISTMAS MAIN ...
GOOSE WITH APPLE-PRUNE STUFFING RECIPE
GOOSE WITH APPLE PRUNE STUFFING RECIPE
GOOSE WITH APPLE PRUNE STUFFING- TFRECIPES
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What do you put inside a goose to make stuffing?Sprinkle inside of goose with salt. Prick skin well; set aside. In a skillet, saute celery, onion and garlic in butter; transfer to a large bowl. Add the next 10 ingredients. Add bread crumbs until stuffing has the desired consistency.
How to prepare apple and prunes stuffing?You can prepare the prunes several days in advance. Pop them in a saucepan with the Armagnac and sugar. Bring up to simmering point, then cool, cover and keep in the fridge. Make the apple stuffing by mixing all the ingredients together and make the forcemeat stuffing, too, by mixing all the ingredients together.
How to cook a whole goose for Christmas?Add bread crumbs until stuffing has the desired consistency. Stuff the goose. Place with breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until thermometer reads 185°. Drain fat from pan as it accumulates. If desired, make glaze: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
How do you cook a frozen goose roast?Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Mix the prunes and apples together, season well and use to stuff the cavity of the goose. Close the cavity with a small metal skewer. Rub sea salt and black pepper into the skin, place on a rack in a large roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes.