GOOSE WITH APPLE-PRUNE STUFFING
Does my family like this dish? I guess so-they call it "lip-smacking' goose! We're retired farmers with three children, all grown, and six grandchildren.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8-10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 26
- Sprinkle inside of goose with salt. Prick skin well; set aside. In a skillet, saute celery, onion and garlic in butter; transfer to a large bowl. Add the next 10 ingredients. Add bread crumbs until stuffing has the desired consistency. Stuff the goose. Place with breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until thermometer reads 185°. Drain fat from pan as it accumulates. If desired, make glaze: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Brush over the goose during the last 20 minutes of baking. Remove all stuffing.
Nutrition Facts :
ROAST GOOSE WITH APPLE STUFFING
- Remove excess fat from goose.
- Heat giblets, water, sliced onion and 3/4 teaspoon salt to boiling in 1-quart saucepan; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 hour or until giblets are tender. Strain broth; cover and refrigerate. Remove meat from neck and finely chop with giblets. Toss giblets and remaining ingredients except the flour in large bowl.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Fill wishbone area of goose with stuffing first. Fasten neck skin to back with skewer. Fold wings across back with tips touching. Fill body cavity lightly. (Do not pack--stuffing will expand while cooking.) Fasten opening with skewers, and lace with string. Pierce skin all over with fork.
- Place goose, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of inside thigh muscle and does not touch bone.
- Roast uncovered 3 to 3 1/2 hours (if necessary, place tent of aluminum foil loosely over goose during last hour to prevent excessive browning), removing excess fat from pan occasionally, until thermometer reads 180°F and juice of goose is no longer pink when center of thigh is cut. The center of the stuffing should be 165°F. Place goose on heated platter. Let stand 15 minutes for easier carving.
- Pour drippings from pan into bowl; skim off fat. Return 1/4 cup drippings to pan (discard remaining drippings.) Stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Add enough water to reserved broth, if necessary, to measure 2 cups. Stir into flour mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve goose with apple stuffing and gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 845, Carbohydrate 27 g, Cholesterol 195 mg, Fat 2, Fiber 3 g, Protein 59 g, SaturatedFat 16 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 1000 mg
ROAST GOOSE AND STUFFING
- Make sure you have a good-sized roasting tin to fit the goose and a grid to place under it. Preheat the oven 425 degrees F. You can make the stuffing in advance.
- Soak the prunes in hot tea (Earl Grey) until soft, stone them and drain, or get pre-stoned ones - easier. Place prunes, vermouth and stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then simmer for ten minutes until tender. Strain but reserve the liquid.
- Melt the butter in a little pan and gently fry the shallots and liver for a couple of minutes, stirring all the while. Place in a mixing-bowl which will hold all the ingredients. Boil the port in the same pan until reduced to two tablespoons, scrape round the sides and add to the liver mixture. Beat the pate, bread crumbs, allspice and thyme together and combine thoroughly with the rest. Season with salt and a good quantity of the pepper. Stir in the prunes.
- Put the goose in the sink and pour a kettle of boiling water over it. This ensures a good, crisp skin. Remove and dry with kitchen towels. Salt the cavity and fill loosely with the stuffing, then sew up the vent. Prick the skin all over but not the flesh. Place on the grid in the roasting pan and roast breastside up for 15 minutes.
- Lower heat to 350 degrees F, turn the goose onto its side. Halfway through, turn onto the other side, then for the last 15 minutes onto its back again. Throughout the cooking, baste every 20 minutes with three tablespoons of boiling water and remove the fat from the pan into a bowl. The easiest way to perform both these operations is with a bulb baster. The whole cooking time should be 2 1/2 hours. Test by piercing the thickest part of the thigh: the juices should run pale yellow.
- When ready, the goose should be put on a very hot dish. Pour off the remaining fat from the roasting pan and make the gravy from the reserved prune liquid, adding it to the residual juices in the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes, adjust the seasoning, strain into a sauce boat and hand round separately.
DANISH ROAST GOOSE WITH PRUNES & APPLES
This is a traditional Christmas Eve dinner served with sweet & sour red cabbage, glazed potatoes and new carrots. The prunes & apples are served as a side dish. You can start the first 30 minutes of roasting at 400F then turn to 375F for the balance of the cooking time. Your goose should not be over 10 lbs or it could be tough
Provided by Bergy
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Soak the pitted prunes overnight.
- Clean out all excess fat from the goose (keep the fat to render for later use).
- Rub the goose inside and out with the lemon salt& pepper.
- Stuff the bird with the prunes& apples and truss the bird.
- Prick the goose all over to help the fat escape while roasting.
- Place the goose on a roasting rack on it's side in a 375F oven.
- After 30 minutes pour off the fat.
- Pour in the boiling stock& continue cooking.
- Baste the goose from time to time.
- After 1 1/2 hours turn the goose on it's other side.
- Roast for another 1 1/2 hours.
- 30 minutes before the goose is cooked pour off the pan juices, leave to cool and skim off the fat.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking lay the goose on it's back leave the oven door ajar to allow the skin to crisp or alternatively baste with several tablespoons of cold water.
- Use the pan juices (fat removed to make your gravy).
ROASTED GOOSE WITH APPLE RUM STUFFING
This year for Christmas my neighbor was kind enough to give me a copy of his mother's game recipes. She was a 3rd generation Newfoundlander and one heck of a cook! I remember her serving this roast on one of her visits. It is a wonderful roast and leftovers make great soup! Stacey
Provided by Stacey Sweet
Yield 1 10lb goose, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- soak chopped apples in 4 Tbsp of dark rum for 4 hours.
- preheat oven to 350 F.
- place goose on a rack in a rosting pan.
- mix together the apples, sage, mace and breadcrumbs.
- season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon inside the goose cavity.
- combine the salt and pepper and rub all over the outside of the goose.
- prick the entire goose with a fork.
- cover the breast with a piece of greased aluminium foil.
- roast goose for 30 minutes at 350 F.
- remove from oven, skim off excess fat.
- pour stock all over the goose.
- re-cover goose with greased aluminium foil and roast for 2 1/2 hours.
- remove foil and cook for 1 hour so the breast crips and browns.
- place goose on a warmed serving dish skim off excess fat from roasting pan.
- reduce pan juices rapidly, to make a thickened gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1318.9, Fat 72.1, SaturatedFat 22.3, Cholesterol 285.1, Sodium 1073.6, Carbohydrate 72, Fiber 8, Sugar 26.7, Protein 87
ROAST GOOSE WITH APPLE AND PRUNES
- Soak the prunes for an hour in the port.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and soften the onion, garlic and celery in the butter. Add the parsley, thyme, sage and apples. Mix thoroughly and add the prunes and port. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove excess fat from the goose cavity (use this for roasting potatoes) and dry the goose inside and out with paper towels. Rub inside and out with lemon juice and season.
- Stuff the goose with the stuffing mixture and truss. Place on a roasting rack and roast for three to three-and-a-half hours, basting occasionally. The goose is done when the juices in the thigh are pale yellow. Let it rest for 15 minutes before serving.
SPICY ROAST GOOSE WITH APPLE STUFFING
- Wash the goose thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Let the goose sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the allspice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside to make a spice rub.
- Remove any lumps of visible fat from the cavity of the goose, and render the goose fat in a skillet over medium heat until the fat is liquid and the remaining bits are crisp and brown, about 15 minutes. Reserve 3 tablespoons of goose fat and save the rest for another use, or discard.
- Working in batches if necessary, fry the sliced apples in the reserved goose fat in a large skillet over medium heat until the apple slices are browned, about 10 minutes per batch. Remove the browned apple slices to a large mixing bowl, let cool slightly, and sprinkle with the Calvados and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Mix lightly to combine.
- With the point of a sharp knife, prick the entire skin of the goose, being careful not to cut into the meat. Rub the exterior of the goose well with the spice rub, massaging the spices into the skin.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Spoon the apple stuffing lightly into the cavity of the goose, and lay it on a large sheet of aluminum foil big enough to wrap over the entire goose. Wrap the goose in the foil, seal the edges, and make a 1/2-inch hole in the bottom of the foil packet to allow the fat from the goose to drain. Place the bird breast side up, on a rack set into a large baking pan, and roast the goose in the preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about an hour and a half. Peel the foil back from the breast meat and roast for another 45 minutes until the skin browns, basting once or twice to prevent burning. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 180 degrees F (82 degrees C).
- Remove the goose from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 546.6 calories, Carbohydrate 13.8 g, Cholesterol 141.7 mg, Fat 34.3 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 39.4 g, SaturatedFat 10.7 g, Sodium 110 mg, Sugar 10.2 g
GOOSE WITH APPLE-PRUNE STUFFING
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Sprinkle inside of goose with salt. Prick skin well set aside. In a skillet, sauté celery, onion and garlic in butter transfer to a large bowl. Add the next 10 ingredients. Add bread crumbs until stuffing has the desired consistency. Stuff the goose. Place with breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until thermometer reads 185°. Drain fat from pan as it accumulates. Remove all stuffing.© Copyright Reiman Publications, 1993-1997
Nutrition Facts : Nutritional Facts Serves
GOOSE WITH APPLE-PRUNE STUFFING GLAZE (OPTIONAL)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly cook and stir 2 minutes more. Brush over the goose during the last 20 minutes of baking.© Copyright Reiman Publications, 1993-1997
Nutrition Facts : Nutritional Facts Serves
ROAST GOOSE WITH STUFFING
- In a large bowl, combine bread, currants, apples, crumbled thyme, salt, pepper, and melted butter or margarine.
- Wash goose inside and out. Pat dry. Stuff, truss, and tie goose. Prick bird all over with fork.
- Heat oil in roasting pan on top of stove. Brown goose lightly on all sides, then drain off pan drippings. Set goose breast side up in roasting pan. Add a little water, cover, and roast at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for one hour. Discard fat from roasting pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine chopped onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaf, cloves, fresh thyme and marjoram, and sprinkle around the goose. Continue roasting uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes per pound, draining off fat at intervals. Add more water as required. Transfer cooked goose to platter, and keep warm by covering loosely with foil.
- Skim off remaining fat in pan, and heat drippings and vegetables on top of stove until mixture is reduced. Stir in white wine, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, then strain gravy. If necessary, add a little cornstarch mixed with water to thicken gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1169.2 calories, Carbohydrate 63.3 g, Cholesterol 253.8 mg, Fat 67.9 g, Fiber 6.2 g, Protein 74 g, SaturatedFat 23.2 g, Sodium 880.5 mg, Sugar 28.7 g
More about "goose with apple prune stuffing recipes"
GOOSE STUFFED WITH APPLES AND ARMAGNAC-SOAKED PRUNES …
Servings 8Total Time 4 hrs 50 minsCategory Goose
- In a small bowl, combine the prunes with the Armagnac. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 1 week. Drain the prunes well and reserve the liquid for another use.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Using paper towels, pat the goose completely dry on the outside and inside. In a large bowl, toss the prunes with the apples and garlic. Stuff the goose with the prune mixture and tie the legs together with twine. Generously rub the goose with oil and season all over with salt. Transfer the goose, breast side up, to a rack set in a roasting pan. Place the neck in the bottom of the roasting pan. Roast for 40 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven. Carefully tilt the pan and spoon the fat into a small heatproof bowl.
- Return the goose to the oven and increase the temperature to 350°. Roast for 50 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven again. Carefully tilt the pan and spoon the fat into the bowl. Remove the goose neck and reserve for snacking, if desired.
- Return the goose to the oven and increase the temperature to 400°. Roast for about 40 minutes longer, until the skin is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 160°. Transfer the goose to a work surface, tent with foil and keep warm. Pour the boiling water into the pan and scrape up any bits on the bottom using a wooden spoon. Pour the pan juices into a heatproof bowl.
ROAST GOOSE WITH PRUNE, APPLE AND APRICOT STUFFING …
Servings 8Calories 824 per servingTotal Time 5 hrs
ROASTED GOOSE WITH BRANDIED PRUNE STUFFING AND RED …
ROAST STUFFED GOOSE WITH PRUNES IN ARMAGNAC | RECIPES …
ROAST GOOSE STUFFED WITH PRUNES AND APPLES RECIPE
ROAST GOOSE WITH CHESTNUT-PRUNE STUFFING RECIPE
ROAST GOOSE WITH DRIED APPLE STUFFING - READER'S DIGEST …
ROAST GOOSE WITH PRUNE & FOIE GRAS STUFFING - CHINDEEP
WHOLE ROAST GOOSE STUFFED WITH APPLES AND PRUNES …
ROAST GOOSE WITH APPLE AND PRUNE STUFFING | RECIPELION.COM
Category Other Meat RecipesEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
DELIA'S CLASSIC CHRISTMAS: ROAST STUFFED GOOSE WITH APPLES AND …
PRUNE AND APPLE STUFFING WITH SAUSAGE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
GOOSE WITH PRUNE & CHESTNUT STUFFING - CHRISTMAS RECIPES RECIPE …
RECIPE: GOOSE STUFFED WITH APPLES, RAISINS AND HONEY STEP BY STEP …
GOOSE WITH APPLE-PRUNE STUFFING | RECIPE | CHRISTMAS MAIN DISH …
ROAST GOOSE WITH APPLE AND PRUNE STUFFING RECIPE
GOOSE WITH APPLE-PRUNE STUFFING GLAZE (OPTIONAL)
TIMOTHY LEARY'S GOOSE WITH PRUNE, APPLE, AND CHESTNUT STUFFING
APPLE AND PRUNE STUFFED CHRISTMAS GOOSE - FOODISTA
DELIA SMITH'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT CHRISTMAS RECIPES: ROAST STUFFED …
GRILLED GOOSE, W/:APPLE, PRUNE, ITALIAN SAUSAGE STUFFING & GRAVY
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
ROAST STUFFED GOOSE WITH PRUNE AND APPLE SAUCE RECIPE - EAT …
APPLE AND CHESTNUT-STUFFED ROAST GOOSE | CANADIAN LIVING
ROASTED GOOSE WITH PRUNE AND APPLE STUFFING - VAYA
ROAST GOOSE WITH PRUNE STUFFED APPLES – THE BEST FREE COOKING …
ASTRAY RECIPES: ROAST GOOSE AND STUFFING - EASY RECIPES
ROAST GOOSE WITH DRIED APPLE STUFFING - READERSDIGEST.CA
ROAST GOOSE WITH PRUNE AND APPLE STUFFING AND RED WINE GIBLET …
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook a goose with Apple stuffing?Next, place the apple stuffing in the body cavity as it is – although it looks raw and chunky, after cooking it will collapse to a fluffy mass. Season the goose well with salt and pepper, lay it on a rack in a roasting tin, then place it in the centre of the pre-heated oven.
How to prepare apple and prunes stuffing?You can prepare the prunes several days in advance. Pop them in a saucepan with the Armagnac and sugar. Bring up to simmering point, then cool, cover and keep in the fridge. Make the apple stuffing by mixing all the ingredients together and make the forcemeat stuffing, too, by mixing all the ingredients together.
What are some of the best recipes for goose?This is quite simply the best recipe for goose that I know. It has a classic English forcemeat stuffing made with the goose liver along with pork, sage and onion, with a second spicy prune and apple stuffing, and then it's served with prunes that have been soaked in Armagnac. All this together makes a wonderful combination of flavours.
How do you cook a frozen goose?Mix the prunes and apples together, season well and use to stuff the cavity of the goose. Close the cavity with a small metal skewer. Rub sea salt and black pepper into the skin, place on a rack in a large roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes.