My husband being Volga Deutsch, always talked about some of what he called Depression Meals while living home as a boy. Being from Northern Germany, I had never heard of Kraut Kuchen so this recipe came from his mother.
Provided by Ilse Weitz
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Saute onion with ground chuck in one frying pan and the cabbage in another.
- Salt and pepper to your taste.
- Let simmer until done and then drain well.
- Prepare hot dough mix.
- Divide into 12 equal amounts and roll dough extremely thin.
- Place handful of meat-cabbage mixture in center and fold corners into center.
- Set folded side down on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F until brown, 20 25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 78.3, Fat 3.3, SaturatedFat 1.2, Cholesterol 24.6, Sodium 42.8, Carbohydrate 4.2, Fiber 1.7, Sugar 2.7, Protein 8.4
- While bread dough is rising; In a large skillet with tall sides, or stock pot, Cook sausage and chopped onions until sausage is gray in color. Chop sausage into small grounds as it cooks. Drain and return to skillet. Add both bags of coleslaw mix, salt and pepper, and cover to steam cabbage. Stir mixture occasionally until cabbage is tender but not limp. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into 4 inch squares. Place scoop of mixture in center of square and bring all corners together, pinching closed. The pinch seams closed and place on prepared baking sheet, seams down. Bake at 375 for 15-20 min. until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with milk to soften crust.
OMA'S APFELKUCHEN (GRANDMA'S APPLE CAKE)
My husband's German family calls this Oma's apfelkuchen, which translates to "Grandma's apple cake." They've been sharing the recipe for more than 150 years. I use Granny Smith apples, but any variety works. -Amy Kirchen, Loveland, Ohio
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 350°. Let egg yolks stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Starting 1/2 in. from 1 end, cut apple halves lengthwise into 1/4-in. slices, leaving them attached at the top so they fan out slightly. Set aside., Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, sift flour, cornstarch, cream of tartar, baking powder and salt twice. Gradually beat into creamed mixture. Add milk; mix well (batter will be thick)., Spread batter into a greased 9-in. springform pan wrapped in a sheet of heavy-duty foil. Gently press apples, round side up, into batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs, 45-55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove foil. Cool 1 hour longer. Remove rim from pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 422 calories, Fat 23g fat (14g saturated fat), Cholesterol 148mg cholesterol, Sodium 177mg sodium, Carbohydrate 50g carbohydrate (28g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
These meat-and-cabbage-mixture filled sweet rolls make a great main dish, and are also great as a snack. They reheat well, so leftovers are also great! Sauerkraut can be used in place of the cabbage for more of a 'kraut flavor'.
Provided by Kim Van Pelt
Number Of Ingredients 16
- To Make Sweet Dough: In a medium bowl combine the yeast, sugar and water and mix together; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in flour, dry milk, baking powder and shortening, then knead mixture for 10 minutes, adding as little flour as necessary. Cover bowl with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes, then knead again.
- To Make Filling: Meanwhile, brown beef, sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drain extra fat from skillet, then stir in cabbage, mustard, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Flatten a piece of dough. Place large spoonful of meat filling onto dough and fold over to form a round bun. Lay folded-side-down in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 630.4 calories, Carbohydrate 55 g, Cholesterol 69.3 mg, Fat 34.3 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 24.6 g, SaturatedFat 12.8 g, Sodium 1129.3 mg, Sugar 13.9 g
SAUERKRAUT KUCHEN (SAUERKRAUT CAKE)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour three eight-inch cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with water to the butter and egg mixture. Mix well.
- Fold in drained sauerkraut.
- Turn into cake pans. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until cake springs back at the touch. Remove from pans immediately, cool on a rack then frost layers with fudge frosting (see recipe).
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 358, UnsaturatedFat 5 grams, Carbohydrate 55 grams, Fat 14 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 9 grams, Sodium 202 milligrams, Sugar 30 grams, TransFat 1 gram
EASY HOMEMADE SAUERKRAUT
Sauerkraut has been a staple for hundreds of years. This is great on its own or as a topper for a variety of foods. Refrigerate or freeze sauerkraut once it is fermented.
Provided by Ellie
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Mix cabbage, onion, sea salt, and garlic together in a bowl. Firmly pack mixture into a large, clean, food-grade plastic bucket. The cabbage will start to make its own brine as the salt starts to draw out the water of the cabbage.
- Fill a large, clean, food-grade plastic bag with water and place over the salted cabbage mixture so none of the cabbage is exposed to air.
- Allow cabbage to ferment in a cool, dry place, 1 to 4 weeks (depending on how tangy you like your sauerkraut). The temperature of the room you ferment the sauerkraut in should not rise above 70 degrees F (21 degrees C).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 28 calories, Carbohydrate 6.5 g, Fat 0.1 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 1.3 g, Sodium 677.8 mg, Sugar 3.4 g
More about "kraut kuchen recipes"
SAUERKRAUTKUCHEN - SAUERKRAUT CAKE - JUST LIKE OMA
ASTRAY RECIPES: SAUERKRAUT KUCHEN
RHUBARB KUCHEN - CRAFTY COOKING MAMA
10 BEST SAUERKRAUT PIE RECIPES | YUMMLY
ALSATIAN PIZZA OR FLAME CAKE (FLAMMKUCHEN) RECIPE
KRAUT KUCHEN RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
HOME MADE - KRAUT KUCHEN CALORIES, CARBS & NUTRITION FACTS
10 BEST GERMAN KUCHEN RECIPES | YUMMLY
KUCHEN - GERMANS FROM RUSSIA CUISINE
KRAUT KUGAS - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
VEGAN SAUERKRAUT STRUDEL (KRAUTSTRUDEL) - MONKEY AND ME KITCHEN …
SUNKEN APPLE CAKE | KRAUTKOPF
OMA'S BUTTERKUCHEN / ZUCKERKUCHEN - BUTTER CAKE RECIPE
PEACH KUCHEN - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
KRAUT KUCHEN RECIPE IN ENGLISH - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
PIN ON BEEF - PINTEREST
SAUERKRAUT KUCHEN (SAUERKRAUT CAKE) - PLAIN.RECIPES
KNOEPHLA - GERMANS FROM RUSSIA CUISINE
THE MANCINO CHRONICLES: KRAUT KUCHEN - BLOGGER
KRAUT KUCHEN - CHAMPSDIET.COM
KRAUT KUCHEN (AKA. BIEROCKS). GROWING UP, MY FATHER USED TO MAKE …
FLAMMKUCHEN (FRENCH - GERMAN PIZZA) • CURIOUS CUISINIERE
ALTDEUTSCHER SAUERKRAUT-KUCHEN (GERMAN SAUERKRAUT PIE) RECIPE
TOP 45 KRAUT KUCHEN
7 TASTY DISHES THAT VOLGA GERMANS STILL COOK IN RUSSIA (RECIPES)
GERMAN SAUERKRAUT SOUP (SAUERKRAUTSUPPE) - THE DARING GOURMET
KRAUT KUCHEN RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
ALTDEUTSCHER SAUERKRAUT KUCHEN GERMAN SAUERKRAUT PIE RECIPE
AUTHENTIC ZWETSCHGENKUCHEN (GERMAN PLUM CAKE ... - THE DARING …
MENNONITE FAVOURITES MADE WITH LOVE (FLEISCH PERISHKY AND ROLL …
KRAUT KUCHEN RECIPE
PIN ON RECIPES
RECIPE: SAUERKRAUT KUCHEN
39+ NEU BILD KRAUT KUCHEN RECIPE : UNSERE VEGETARISCHE REZEPTE …
ALTDEUTSCHER SAUERKRAUT-KUCHEN (GERMAN SAUERKRAUT PIE) RECIPE
SAUERKRAUT RECIPES - NYT COOKING
SAUERKRAUT KUCHEN - BIGOVEN
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #main-dish #german #european
You'll also love