Creamy Lettuce Soup is a delicious, healthy recipe that uses 1 head of lettuce. Combined with heavy cream, chicken broth and spices, this is a great way to add lettuce to your diet! I love using Bibb lettuce in this recipe but Romaine and Iceberg work good too! Who knew cooked lettuce could taste so yummy for dinner - even kids love it!
Provided by Pamela
Categories Main Course Side Dish Soup
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in medium sized pot.
- When hot, add the garlic until slightly brown.
- Add your lettuce, parsley and oregano and stir until lettuce is wilted.
- Add your chicken broth and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Transfer in batches to blender or use immersion blender to puree soup. If using a blender do this in batches and be careful as the liquid will be very hot.
- Transfer back to pot.
- Add your heavy cream, salt and pepper and stir until all heated (about 5 minutes).
- Serve, garnish with additional heavy cream on top if desired.
An easy Lettuce Soup recipe. This soup is a great way to use lettuce's outer leaves and ribs, which usually go to waste. Any kind of potato and any salad greens, including lettuce, arugula, spinach, and watercress, will work fine.
Categories Soup/Stew Leafy Green Potato Vegetarian Quick & Easy Summer Gourmet
Yield Makes 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Cook onion mixture and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add coriander, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in potato, lettuce, and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potato is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) and transfer to a 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Bring soup to a simmer, then whisk in remaining tablespoon butter and salt and pepper to taste.
Why have your soup and salad separately when you can enjoy the delicate flavor of romaine in this silky soup?
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, onion, 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and a couple turns of pepper and cook until the onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Whisk in the milk and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lettuce and cook, turning with tongs, until bright green, about 1 minute. Working in batches, blend the soup until smooth; return it to the pot to heat through and thin with milk or water as desired. Serve topped with shredded romaine.
- Disclaimer: When blending hot liquid, first let it cool for 5 minutes or so, then transfer it to a blender, filling only halfway. Put the lid on, leaving one corner open. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel to catch splatters and pulse until smooth.
Lettuce soup is a fantastic way to use up lettuce - or any other salad leaves - that might otherwise be wasted. Lovely served hot and equally good chilled for a light summery meal.
Provided by Justine Pattison
Categories Starters & nibbles
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for 5-6 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown, stirring regularly.
- Add the lettuce and potatoes and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover loosely with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and blitz using a stick blender until smooth. If the soup is a little thick, add a splash of just-boiled water. Season to taste with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warmed bowls and, if you like, top with swirls of cream and chopped herbs.
LETTUCE AND POTATO SOUP
This is what the French do with the outer leaves of lettuce that are too tough for a salad. The soup is good hot or cold.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Yield Serves 4 to 6
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat and add the onion and leek. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the garlic and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the potatoes, stock or water, and bouquet garni, and bring to a simmer. Add salt to taste, cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the lettuce leaves and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. The potatoes should be thoroughly tender and falling apart.
- Using an immersion blender, or in a blender or food processor fitted with the steel blade (working in batches and covering the blender lid or food processor with a kitchen towel to prevent the hot soup from splashing), blend the soup until smooth. If you want a smoother, silkier texture, strain the soup through a medium strainer, pushing it through the strainer with a pestle, spatula, or the bowl of a ladle. Return the soup to the heat, add lots of freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust salt. , Heat through and serve, garnishing each bowl with chopped fresh parsley or chives.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 212, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 32 grams, Fat 5 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 9 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 973 milligrams, Sugar 6 grams
EASY LETTUCE SOUP
We made this when our garden overflowed with lettuce and were suprised at how good this was. Don't laugh... I think this recipe was from Richard Simmons (though I do think he's super nice!)
Provided by Yogi8
Yield 2-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cook onion in butter till soft.
- Add lettuce, then flour, then broth.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring.
- Pour in blender and add milk, salt& pepper, nutmeg, and paprika.
- Blend for a minute, then return to pot and reheat.
This is a soup that my Slovak grandmother used to make when I was a little girl. She used lettuce she would pick fresh out of her garden. I still make this soup every summer and remember her sitting in her kitchen sipping coffee with my mother and aunt. It brings back such fond memories.
Provided by Ursie
Yield 6-8 Large Bowls, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a cast iron skillet (this the best but you can use any type skillet) Fry 2 lb. of bacon (to render fat, but not crisp the bacon).
- Remove bacon from skillet leaving the fat in the pan.
- Allow the fat to brown (slightly).
- For every 2 Tablespoons of browned fat rendered add 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Stirring constantly, brown flour in fat to a deep golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly so as not to curdle the milk when added.
- Once cooled, add 1 cup of milk for ever 2 tablespoons of flour used.
- Bring to rolling boil stirring constantly.
- Add torn up lettuce and cut up bacon to the browned fat and flour mixture.
- Bring back to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Add eggs to mixture making sure to stir it throughout the soup.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for about 1 hour (until lettuce is cooked down).
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with a crusty French bread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 735.6, Fat 70, SaturatedFat 23.2, Cholesterol 173.4, Sodium 1317.5, Carbohydrate 4.5, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 1.1, Protein 21.3
Yield Makes about 5 cups
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Stack lettuce leaves and cut into thin shreds. In a 3-quart saucepan gently simmer lettuce, broth, and water, covered, 40 minutes. In a blender purée soup in 2 batches with butter, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring as blended to another saucepan. Heat soup over moderately high heat until hot.
CHILLED LETTUCE SOUP
Provided by Mark Bittman
Categories easy, weekday, soups and stews, appetizer, side dish
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Put butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; when it melts, add onion and sweat for about 2 minutes or until it begins to soften; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add all but a couple of handfuls of the lettuce to the pan, reserving the rest for garnish, and cook until it wilts. Add stock, turn the heat to medium-high and bring liquid to a boil; lower heat to medium and cook until lettuce is very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Put cooked lettuce in a blender and add 2 cups of ice water. Purée mixture until smooth, then put in a large bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Once soup is chilled, add cream or half-and-half to taste and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Finely chop reserved lettuce and put about 1/4 cup in each bowl and ladle soup on top. Garnish with croutons or bacon.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 239, UnsaturatedFat 5 grams, Carbohydrate 24 grams, Fat 14 grams, Fiber 9 grams, Protein 10 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 1402 milligrams, Sugar 10 grams, TransFat 0 grams
More about "lettuce soup recipes"
CREAMY LETTUCE SOUP - JULES OF THE KITCHEN
LETTUCE SOUP - THECOOKFUL
CREAMY LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
LETTUCE SOUP WITH FONTINA GRATIN - LIDIA
LETTUCE CUCUMBER SOUP RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE LETTUCE CUCUMBER …
LETTUCE SOUP (AKA THE MOST AMAZING SOUP EVER!) - THE PALEO MOM
HOW TO MAKE LETTUCE SOUP - FARMERSGIRL KITCHEN
CHILLED LETTUCE SOUP | RICARDO
SLOVAK LETTUCE SOUP SALATOVA POLIEVKA RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
LETTUCE SOUP | RICARDO
3 EASY RECIPES FOR TASTIEST LETTUCE SOUP - WE HATE TO …
LETTUCE SOUP - EASY & CREAMY GORAL SALOTA SOUP SOUP RECIPE
LETTUCE SOUP | ZSERBO.COM
ZUPPA LATTUGA | CHICKEN.CA
10 BEST ICEBERG LETTUCE SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | LEFTOVER LETTUCE | FOOD ON THE TABLE
40 NON-BORING LETTUCE RECIPES YOU CAN ACTUALLY GET EXCITED ABOUT
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
10 BEST ROMAINE LETTUCE SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
EASY ROMAINE LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - DAIRY FREE - LOW CARB YUM
LETTUCE SOUP ♥ UNUSUAL RECIPE! - A VEGGIE VENTURE
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
SOPHIE DAHL'S LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - BEST HEALTH MAGAZINE CANADA
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - A DELICIOUS WAY TO EAT YOUR GREENS!
LIDIA'S LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - YOGITRITION
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - THE RELUCTANT GOURMET
LETTUCE & POTATO SOUP - SOBEYS INC.
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
RECIPE FOR LETTUCE SOUP | ALMANAC.COM
LETTUCE SOUP | RACHAEL RAY IN SEASON
FROTHY LETTUCE SOUP WITH ONION CUSTARD RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
QUICK VEGGIE SOUP WITH SPRING LETTUCE - RACHAEL RAY IN SEASON
SHRIMP LETTUCE - FITR 365 - HEALTHY LUNCH RECIPE
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE
FISH AND LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
HOT OR COLD CREAMY LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #very-low-carbs #soups-stews #eggs-dairy #vegetables #european #summer #eggs #stove-top #czech #dietary #seasonal #low-carb #low-in-something #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love