BROWN RICE PILAF
I love this pilaf! I never liked brown rice until I tried it this way. It goes with just about anything, and the leftovers (when there are any) reheat well, too.
Provided by Halcyon Eve
Categories Brown Rice
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth, and season with salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 45-50 minutes. Check rice occasionally and add water if necessary.
- Uncover and let rice stand for 5 minutes before serving.
BROWN RICE PILAF
Brown rice, a whole grain, contains all the nutrients and essential parts of the entire grain seed. It adds almost three times as much heart-healthy fiber to this mild-flavored brown rice pilaf as white would. Consider enjoying its slightly nutty flavor often in family recipes. -Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add rice and garlic; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Add the water, broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 181 calories, Fat 3g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 99mg sodium, Carbohydrate 34g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucier over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, bell pepper and 2 pinches of salt.
- Decrease the heat to low and sweat until the onion is translucent and aromatic but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and add the rice. Cook, stirring frequently, until you smell nuts, another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the saffron and its water, the broth, orange zest, bay leaves and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- OK, now the weird part: Thoroughly wet a clean towel, kill the heat, scatter the peas on top of the rice, then place the towel across the top of the saucier. Top with the lid, then fold the towel corners up over the lid.
- Transfer the saucier (towel and all) to the oven and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove and rest at room temperature for 15 more minutes without opening the lid.
- Fish out the orange zest and bay leaves. Turn the pilaf out onto a platter, fluff with a large fork and garnish with the raisins and pistachios. Serve family-style, right in the middle of the table.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 248 calorie, Fat 5 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Cholesterol 5 milligrams, Sodium 524 milligrams, Carbohydrate 45 grams, Fiber 1.5 grams, Protein 7 grams, Sugar 5 grams
NUT RICE PILAF
Try this Nut Rice Pilaf as a delicious side dish or even a satisfying vegetarian main dish chock full of nuts.
Provided by Molly Watson
Categories Side Dish
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Prep notes: Peel and finely slice the onion or shallots. Peel and mince the garlic. Roughly chop the nuts. Measure out the spices into a small bowl so they're ready to add. Measure out the wine and broth. Mince the parsley.
- Heat a large frying or saute pan with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, swirl the pan to coat it with the oil, and when the oil is hot (it will shimmer a bit), add the onion and the salt. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add the nuts. Cook, stirring constantly, until the nuts start to toast. The onions will brown a bit, which is good; if they start to burn or char at all reduce the heat and move to the next steps.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Evenly sprinkle on the coriander , cumin, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and stir to combine--the rice should be well coated with the oil and the onions.
- Pour in the wine and cook, stirring, until the rice can completely absorbed the wine, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the rice is tender to the bite, about 50 minutes.
- Fluff the pilaf with a fork. Add salt to taste, if needed. Stir in the minced parsley and garnish with whole leaves, if you like. Serve the rice pilaf hot or warm (the range of possible temperatures here makes this an excellent option for buffets).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 242 kcal, Carbohydrate 21 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Fiber 2 g, Protein 6 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, Sodium 376 mg, Fat 14 g, ServingSize 6 to 8 servings, UnsaturatedFat 12 g
NUTTY BROWN RICE
- Bring water to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Add rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Drain in a sieve.
- Heat butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until butter and nuts are golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add rice and nutmeg to skillet and toss to coat.
NUTTY BROWN RICE SALAD
- Combine the rice and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place cooled rice in a large bowl. Stir in the kidney beans, red onions, mushrooms, broccoli, bell peppers, and almonds; season with pepper. Toss salad with the Italian dressing and olive oil.
- Chill for at least one hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 223.1 calories, Carbohydrate 39.2 g, Fat 4.5 g, Fiber 6.3 g, Protein 7.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.6 g, Sodium 203.1 mg, Sugar 1.9 g
- Heat a dry, small saucepan over high heat until hot. Add the pasta, and cook, stirring, until deep golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add butter; cook, stirring occasionally, until melted. Stir in onion and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add stock to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let pilaf stand, covered, 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
HOME-STYLE BROWN RICE PILAF
This is comfort food at its best with mild flavors and it's simple to make. This is a very versatile dish: if you prefer, you can use almonds in place of the cashews, and cilantro in place of the parsley.
Provided by Candice
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Bring 1-1/2 cups water to boil, add rice. Bring contents back to a boil, cover the pot and simmer for 45-50 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Approximately 20 minutes before rice is finished cooking heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and saute them, stirring frequently until they soften. Add the garlic and carrots and continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Place mushrooms inside of skillet and cook until mushrooms begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook 1 more minute.
- When the rice is finished cooking pour the eggs into the skillet and cook the mixture, stirring constantly until the eggs are cooked. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in pepper, parsley, and nuts.
- Spoon the cooked rice into the skillet and stir well. Serve the pilaf hot with soy sauce on the side for added flavor.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 409.3 calories, Carbohydrate 54 g, Cholesterol 115.9 mg, Fat 17.1 g, Fiber 6.7 g, Protein 12.5 g, SaturatedFat 7.3 g, Sodium 653.3 mg, Sugar 6.9 g
NUTTY BROWN RICE PILAF
The pine nuts add the nutty flavour while the raisins bring a sweetness to the rice. I found this recipe in Canadian Living and it has become a staple. I wasn't a fan of brown rice until now. Try different brands as they do make a difference in texture and flavour, and the time for cooking can vary. Be careful when adding the pinch of cinnamon that a pinch is all you add or the flavour can be overpowering. Great as left overs.
Provided by heather in Ont
Categories Brown Rice
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and cinnamon, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add rice; cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add stock, currants and lemon rind; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 50 - 60 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand, covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork and sprinkle with pine nuts and onions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a heavy, wide, lidded pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion, red pepper, and kosher salt. Sweat the onions and peppers until aromatic, stirring constantly. Add the rice and stir to coat. Continue stirring until rice smells nutty. Add chicken broth, orange zest, saffron and water, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Stir once, then cover pan with moistened dish towel (or tea towel). Place lid on pan and fold towel corners over lid. Bake for 15 minutes. Then rest at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes without removing the cover.
- Meanwhile, simmer peas in salted water until heated through or heat in a microwave.
- Remove lid from rice and turn out onto a platter. Add peas and fluff with a large fork. Add raisins and pistachios.
More about "nutty brown rice pilaf recipes"
RICE PILAF WITH NUTS AND DRIED FRUIT - RECIPETIN EATS
BROWN RICE PILAF RECIPE FROM JESSICA SEINFELD
SPRING VEGETABLE BROWN RICE PILAF RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
ARMENIAN-STYLE RICE PILAF RECIPE - SERIOUSEATS.COM
SPROUTED BROWN RICE PILAF - SAVOR THE BEST
VEGETARIAN RICE PILAF RECIPE | HEALTHY DELICIOUS
BROWN RICE PILAF WITH MUSHROOMS | FOOD & WINE RECIPE | BROWN …
BROWN RICE PILAF - BIGOVEN.COM
HARVEST BROWN RICE PILAF - KYLEE COOKS
NUTTY FILLET RICE PILAF - BRUNSWICK® SEAFOOD
NUTTY BROWN RICE PILAF - DOT COM WOMEN
NUTTY BROWN RICE PILAF | RECIPE | RICE PILAF, BROWN RICE PILAF, RICE
BROWN RICE PILAF RECIPE | MYRECIPES
THE BEST BROWN BUTTER RICE PILAF - BORROWED BITES
A WILD AND BROWN RICE PILAF RECIPE YOU'LL CRAVE - EAT SOMETHING …
GOURMET HOUSE - NUTTY BROWN RICE PILAF - GOURMET HOUSE®
QUICK BROWN RICE PILAF RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
BROWN RICE PILAF WITH MUSHROOMS RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
HOW TO MAKE EASY RICE PILAF - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
RICE PILAF WITH LEMONY BROWN-BUTTER MUSHROOMS RECIPE - BON …
NUTTY RICE PILAF | RECIPES | KRISTINAKUZMIC.COM
NUTTY BROWN RICE PILAF | RECIPE | SWEET POTATO SKILLET, WHOLE FOOD ...
SIMPLE BROWN RICE PILAF RECIPE - GOOD CHEAP EATS
NUTTY WILD RICE AND MUSHROOM PILAF - VEGKITCHEN.COM
NUTTED BROWN RICE PILAF RECIPE | MYRECIPES
EASY & HEALTHY BROWN RICE PILAF RECIPE - LITTLE DISH
NUTTY BROWN RICE PILAF | CANADIAN LIVING
RICE PILAF - ALTON BROWN
RICE PILAF | FOOD & WINE
BEST BROWN RICE PILAF WITH CHICKPEAS AND HERBS RECIPE - HOW TO …
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #side-dishes #rice #stove-top #pasta-rice-and-grains #brown-rice #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love