Rich, creamy, and full of wonderful seafood flavor, Oyster Stew is easy to make and comes together quickly. It's perfect for a special holiday dinner (it's our Christmas Eve tradition!) but simple enough to whip up anytime.
Provided by Brenda | A Farmgirl's Dabbles
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Drain oysters and reserve their liquid. If the reserved liquid is particularly gritty, strain it through a double layer of cheese cloth.
- In a large saucepan over medium to medium-low heat, melt the butter. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over the top and whisk to incorporate. (I like to use this flat whisk.) Then whisk in salt, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce. Cook for 1 minute, whisking gently all the while.
- Whisk in reserved oyster juice. And then slowly add milk, whisking constantly to incorporate. Cook over low to medium-low heat, stirring regularly, until mixture is steaming and bubbles just start to appear around the edge of the saucepan. Do not let mixture come to a boil. Turn heat down just a bit to low, and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add oysters and cook for 2 more minutes, or until oysters start to curl. Taste test and add a bit more salt if you like. Black pepper and fresh chopped parsley are optional.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 324 calories, Carbohydrate 23 grams carbohydrates, Cholesterol 112 milligrams cholesterol, Fat 16 grams fat, Fiber 0 grams fiber, Protein 20 grams protein, SaturatedFat 9 grams saturated fat, ServingSize 1, Sodium 478 grams sodium, Sugar 13 grams sugar, TransFat 0 grams trans fat, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams unsaturated fat
This rich, creamy stew is best made with freshly shucked oysters.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Ingredients Seafood Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and celery; cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Do not brown. Add milk, cream, salt, cayenne, white pepper, and liquor. Bring just to a boil; cook, barely simmering, 5 minutes. Add oysters; cook just until edges curl, 3 to 4 minutes. Garnish with paprika; hot sauce, if using; and crackers. Serve.
- In a large saute pan, melt the 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, stirring constantly and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions and celery and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the milk and oyster liquid. Season the mixture with salt, cayenne and black pepper. Bring the liquid up to a simmer. Simmer the liquid for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the oysters, garlic and parsley. Bring the liquid back up to a simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the oysters curl. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remove from the heat. Ladle the soup into the terrine.
CASAMENTO'S - OYSTER STEW
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Mix everything except milk in a large pot and cook over medium heat, stirring every 30 seconds until the butter is completely melted and everything is simmered. Finally, add 1/3 gallon of milk and allow cooking over medium heat until the milk starts to rise in the pot. Do not let it overflow.
This is best Oyster Stew you ever had! It is elegant and satisfying. I serve it with toasted homemade bread. Serve it quick and hot! Try adding a drop or two of hot sauce in your stew -- it's delicious!
Provided by Buddy Sizemore
Categories Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes Stews Seafood
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the celery and shallots until shallots are tender.
- Pour half-and-half into a large pot over medium-high heat. Mix in the butter, celery, and shallot mixture. Stir continuously. When the mixture is almost boiling, pour the oysters and their liquid into the pot. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir continuously until the oysters curl at the ends. When the oysters curl the stew is finished cooking; turn off the heat and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 555.3 calories, Carbohydrate 13.5 g, Cholesterol 163 mg, Fat 51.1 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 12.7 g, SaturatedFat 31.8 g, Sodium 308.8 mg, Sugar 1.6 g
Make and share this Oyster Stew recipe from Food.com.
Provided by That is Dr House to
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Peel the eggplant and cut into 1 inch cubes then boil in a small bit of water for 10 minutes.
- Drain then add the milk, butter, salt and crackers.
- Simmer five minutes.
- Serve hot.
- If using the onions and celery saute them in 3 tbsp of butter and add to soup mix. Add the hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce before serving or during simmer.
- Note: Non Vegetarians can use regular worcestershire sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 209.8, Fat 13.8, SaturatedFat 8, Cholesterol 33, Sodium 774.2, Carbohydrate 20.5, Fiber 8, Sugar 6.7, Protein 4
Provided by Craig Claiborne
Yield 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat butter in saucepan and add celery and onion. Cook, stirring, without browning, about 5 minutes.
- Add milk and cream and bring to the simmer. Add Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add oysters with their liquor and let simmer about three minutes or until oysters start to curl. Do not overcook or oysters will toughen. Serve in heated soup bowls with equal portions of parsley sprinkled on top.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 494, UnsaturatedFat 14 grams, Carbohydrate 14 grams, Fat 42 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 16 grams, SaturatedFat 25 grams, Sodium 808 milligrams, Sugar 7 grams, TransFat 0 grams
Stress free oyster stew ready in 20 minutes - perfect for Christmas celebration.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Melt butter in 1 1/2-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in oysters. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until edges curl.
- Heat milk and half-and-half in 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat until hot. Stir in salt, pepper and oyster mixture; heat until hot. Garnish with parsley and bell pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 285, Carbohydrate 12 g, Cholesterol 115 mg, Fat 3, Fiber 0 g, Protein 14 g, SaturatedFat 12 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 700 mg
More about "oyster stew recipes"
EASY, COMFORTING OYSTER STEW RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
WHAT TO SERVE WITH OYSTER STEW? 8 BEST SIDE DISHES
OYSTER STEW | SOUTHERN LIVING
BEST OYSTER STEW RECIPE WITH POTATOES AND BACON
30-MINUTE OYSTER STEW RECIPE - BUSY COOKS
8 OYSTER RECIPES FOR WHEN YOU'RE FEELING FANCY | TASTE OF HOME
CLASSIC OYSTER STEW RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
OYSTER STEW RECIPE - SHE WEARS MANY HATS
OYSTER STEW - THE KITCHEN MAGPIE
VIRGINIA OYSTER STEW - THE SEASONED MOM
OYSTER STEW RECIPE WITH CANNED OYSTERS - SNACK RULES
THE 10 BEST OYSTER STEW RECIPES - BOSS OYSTER
OUR 23 BEST OYSTER RECIPES | MYRECIPES
15 BEST OYSTER RECIPES - THE SPRUCE EATS
HOW TO MAKE OYSTER STEW | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
CLASSIC CREAMY FRESH OYSTER STEW RECIPE - PAULA DEEN
CLASSIC OYSTER STEW - THE JOURNEY GIRL
FAMILY FAVORITE OYSTER STEW ~SWEET & SAVORY
OYSTER STEW RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
OYSTER STEW RECIPE WITH CANNED OYSTERS - TAKEOUTFOOD.BEST
10 BEST OYSTER STEW WITH CANNED OYSTERS RECIPES | YUMMLY
25 BEST OYSTER RECIPES FOR AN EASY GOURMET DINNER
OYSTER STEW RECIPE - ADD A PINCH
MAMA MACIE’S OYSTER STEW - PAULA DEEN
OYSTER STEW - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
OUR BEST OYSTER RECIPES | MARTHA STEWART
10 BEST OYSTER STEW WITH FRESH OYSTERS RECIPES | YUMMLY
GRANDMA'S OYSTER SOUP RECIPE WITH MILK - THESE OLD COOKBOOKS
BASIC AND EASY OYSTER STEW RECIPE ONLY 30 MINUTES - FISHERMEN'S …
RICH, CREAMY OYSTER STEW RECIPE FROM LANA’S COOKING
OYSTER STEW, THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY: #RECIPE
OYSTER STEW RECIPE | MYRECIPES
TRADITIONAL OYSTER STEW RECIPE - FEARLESS EATING
EASY OYSTER STEW RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
CLASSIC OYSTER STEW | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
PAULA DEEN OYSTER STEW - HALF-SCRATCHED
TREY’S FAMOUS OYSTER STEW RECIPE - LOWCOUNTRY OYSTER COMPANY
OYSTER STEW RECIPE • THE WICKED NOODLE
OYSTER STEW RECIPES & OYSTER SOUP RECIPES
OYSTER STEW - GYPSYPLATE
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
#oysters #30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #main-dish #seafood #easy #beginner-cook #winter #stews #dietary #low-sodium #seasonal #comfort-food #low-carb #low-in-something #shellfish #taste-mood #3-steps-or-less
You'll also love