When it comes to pawpaw, accept no substitutes. Trust us; we tried. We went to a bunch of experts - scholars who specialize in fruit, plus chefs and cookbook authors who know all about the proud culinary history of Appalachia - and we asked them, "If a home cook doesn't happen to have any pawpaw, what combination of other fruits and vegetables might work well as a replacement?" We picked up passing nods to sweet potatoes, bananas, papayas, avocados, really ripe mangoes. But in the end everyone came back with variations on "Forget it, there's nothing like a pawpaw." The goopy-textured, tropical-ish fruit whose name sounds like a punch line on "Hee Haw" can be found scattered all over the country, but recipes (for cakes, pies, puddings) abound largely in West Virginia and nearby states like Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana. If you happen to secure some pawpaw, best to get out of its way, as is the case with this pudding. Pawpaw is a holiday guest who responds well to minimal interference.
Provided by Jeff Gordinier
Categories custards and puddings, dessert
Yield 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- In another large bowl, whisk together eggs and pawpaw pulp until smooth. Whisk in milk and vanilla. Whisk in melted butter. Pour into sugar mixture and stir only until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared dish. Bake 50 minutes or until just set in the center. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack before cutting. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 292, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 47 grams, Fat 10 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 111 milligrams, Sugar 35 grams, TransFat 0 grams
STEAMED PAPAYA PUDDING
Provided by Barbara Kafka
Categories weekday, dessert
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Place papaya in a 4-cup measuring cup. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave at 100 percent power for 4 minutes.
- Butter a 9-by-4-inch bowl or a 4-cup souffle dish with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Remove the papaya from the oven. Place in the work bowl of a food processor with remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Cook at 100 percent for 9 minutes, until the pudding is set.
- Remove the pudding from oven. Pierce plastic with a sharp knife, and cover the top of the bowl with a heavy plate. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Unmold the pudding onto a serving plate. Serve warm, with additional sour cream, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 230, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 12 grams, Fat 18 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 10 grams, Sodium 60 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams, TransFat 1 gram
More about "pawpaw pudding recipes"
PAWPAW PUDDING RECIPE - FORAGER CHEF
3.8/5 (6)Servings 4Cuisine AmericanCategory Dessert
- Mix the eggs, yolks, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla well, then add to the half in half in a saucepan and cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until you can feel the mixture thicken noticeably. Take it off the heat and whisk to break up lumps, adding the butter at the same time. The mixture should get very thick, if it clumps a bit, pass it through a strainer or beat with a whisk. Off the heat, mix in the paw paw puree, then transfer to a bowl to cool, placing plastic wrap on the surface to prevent it from forming a skin. Refrigerate the pudding until needed.
- To serve the pudding, whip the cream and tablespoon of powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spoon the pudding into four 1 cup ramekins, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace on top for the whip cream. Cover the pudding with the whip cream and smooth the top with a pastry spatula. Sift on some powdered sugar, garnish each with a mint leaf if using, and serve.
PAWPAW PUDDING - SAVORY MOMENTS
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
PAWPAW RECIPES | OUR STATE
RECIPE #4 PAWPAW PUDDING – PAWPAW PUDDIN'
PAPAYA PUDDING – PACHAKAM.COM - TAMIL RECIPES
PAW PAW RECIPES PAWPAW FRUIT - THERESCIPES.INFO
PAWPAW RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
3 INGREDIENT NO COOKING PAPAYA PUDDING | SIMPLE EASY DESSERT …
10 BEST PAWPAW RECIPES TO MAKE WITH THE FRUIT - INSANELY GOOD
10 BEST PAWPAW DESSERTS RECIPES | YUMMLY
PAWPAW PUDDING RECIPE - MOTHER EARTH GARDENER
10 BEST PAWPAW RECIPES | YUMMLY
EASY NO-BAKE PAWPAW PUDDING | REALTREE CAMO
PAW PAW PUDDING | SAVORING THE PAST
WHAT IS PAWPAW AND HOW IS IT USED? - THE SPRUCE EATS
PAW PAW PUDDING RECIPE — KARIN EDGETT
9 DELICIOUS PAW PAW RECIPES - HILLSBOROUGH HOMESTEADING
PAPAYA PUDDING RECIPE - GOTOCHEF
PAW PAW PUDDING RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
PAPAYA CHIA PUDDING - RECIPE | FOODPAL
PAW PAW PUDDING RECIPES - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
PAWPAW PUDDING RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
CLASSIC HOMEMADE BANANA PUDDING (PAWPAW'S RECIPE)
RECIPES USING PAWPAWS - THERESCIPES.INFO
PAWPAW PUDDING RECIPE | RECIPE | PAWPAW RECIPES, FRUIT RECIPES, …
PAWPAW PUDDING - YOUR RECIPE BLOG
PAW PAW RECIPES DESSERT - THERESCIPES.INFO
RECIPES AND USES - KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY
SUPER MOIST PAWPAW QUICK BREAD | ALEXANDRA'S KITCHEN
PAWPAW PUDDING RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
PAPAYA MILK PUDDING RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
PAWPAW PUDDING - BAT WEEK
PAWPAW PUDDING (LIKE PERSIMMON PUDDING) | RECIPE - PINTEREST
PAW PAW PUDDING - NC FOLK
TOP SUGGESTIONS FOR PAW
PAWPAW PUDDING WITH VANILLA WAFER AND SESAME CRUMBLE RECIPE
PAWPAW PUDDING RECIPE | PAWPAW RECIPES, PUDDING RECIPES, FRUIT …
PAWPAW MILK PUDDING - MUMMY'S YUM
PAW-PAW PUDDING | RECIPE | PAWPAW RECIPES, RECIPES, PUDDING …
COOKING WITH PAWPAWS - PURDUE UNIVERSITY
15 PLATINUM JUBILEE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
PAWPAW PUDDING RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love