NORWEGIAN POTATO FLATBREAD (LEFSE)
This is my take on Norwegian flatbread. Without really knowing what I was doing, these came out delightfully tender, supple, almost fabric-like in texture, and tasting deliciously like something between a crepe and a potato pancake. They're traditionally served with butter and a sprinkle of sugar, but I also enjoy them with some smoked salmon, sour cream, and fresh dill. My other favorite topping combo is butter and some kind of berry jam and sour cream.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line an oven-safe skillet or baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Poke the potato skin all over with a knife and place on the prepared pan.
- Roast in the preheated oven until very tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 1 hour. Let sit until cool enough to handle but still very warm.
- Scoop potato flesh out into a bowl. Mash smooth with the back of a spatula until there are no lumps left. You can also use a potato ricer. Add the butter and mix until it disappears. Add the salt, sugar, and cream; mix until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Mix in flour in several additions until the dough is able to be kneaded by hand. Add enough flour to form a soft, but not too sticky, dough. You need to be able to roll it out fairly thin without it falling apart.
- Wrap dough with plastic and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 8 portions. Dust each with flour and roll out onto a well-floured kitchen towel to 1/8-inch thick, or thinner.
- Heat a very lightly buttered nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Cook the lefse in the hot pan, poking the surface lightly with a fork, until golden brown blisters form, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Stack on a plate as they're cooked and keep covered with a towel. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 139.2 calories, Carbohydrate 20.7 g, Cholesterol 15.9 mg, Fat 5.1 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 2.7 g, SaturatedFat 3.1 g, Sodium 296.9 mg, Sugar 0.9 g
POTATO FLATBREAD (KARTOFLUFLATBRAUTH)
- Peel and mash potatoes.
- When cool, knead rye flour into them.
- How much rye flour you have to add depends on how soft the potatoes are, but knead until the dough does not stick to your hands.
- With your hands make round balls, about the size of a tennis ball, flatten with a rolling pin until fairly thin, and prick with a fork. Bake on both sides on a hot cast-iron pan, using low flame.
- Pile up and cover with a damp cloth to keep soft.
- Serve warm or cold with butter and cheese and cold cuts.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 190.3, Fat 0.6, SaturatedFat 0.1, Sodium 5.3, Carbohydrate 41.8, Fiber 6.1, Sugar 1, Protein 5.6
SHORTCUT POTATO HERB FLATBREAD
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Stretch the dough thinly, pressing the edges into the counter so it doesn't spring back. Let it rest a few minutes, then transfer each piece to the prepared baking sheet.
- Using a mandoline or slicer, slice the potatoes and shallot 1/16-inch thick. Spread a bit of the sliced shallot over each crust, then top with a single overlapping layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle with the rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and bake until the crust is crisp and deep brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
LEFSE (POTATO FLATBREAD)
From Bernard Clayton's Cooking Across America. This recipe comes from an Iowa cook with Norwegian ancestry.
Provided by pattikay in L.A.
Yield 16 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a medium saucepan, cook the potatoes in water till tender but not mushy, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Press the potatoes through a potato ricer or grater.
- In a large bowl combine the potatoes and the margarine.
- cool to room temperature add the sugar and salt.
- mix thoroughly with your hands or a wooden spoon.
- stir in one cup of flour, then add the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- knead for 4 minutes. Pat dough into a ball.
- preheat griddle to 400 degrees.
- divide the ball of dough into 4 portions, then divide each portion into 4 equal pieces, for a total of 16.
- on a lightly floured surface, roll one piece of dough at a time to a paper thin 10 or 11 inch circle.
- fold the dough onto a spoon handle (or lefse stick, if you have one), carry to the griddle and unroll.
- bake each piece on the griddle for 1-2 minutes each side, or till the lefse bubbles and brown spots appear. turn over and repeat.
- lefse will look dry, but will be flexible, not crisp.
- fold in half and then in half again. cool between cloths and store in plastic bags.
- to serve, unfold and spread with butter, or sprinkle with brown or white sugar.
- roll up to eat.
- to freeze, wrap airtight and store in freezer - thaw in wrapper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 178.9, Fat 5.9, SaturatedFat 1, Sodium 217.3, Carbohydrate 28.4, Fiber 2.3, Sugar 2.2, Protein 3.4
More about "potato flatbread kartofluflatbrauth recipes"
POTATO FLATBREAD | COOKTORIA
4.8/5 (6)Total Time 2 hrs 35 minsCategory Breakfast, Side DishCalories 207 per serving
- Cool the potatoes completely before removing the skins. Then place the peeled potatoes in a large bowl and mash thoroughly with a potato masher.
- Add flour to a hard surface and divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Form each piece into a round shape. Roll each part thin (as thin as you can without it breaking). Make sure both your work space and the dough are dusted with flour to avoid sticking.
MASHED POTATO FLATBREAD RECIPE - HAPPY FOODS TUBE
THE ULTIMATE ONE INGREDIENT POTATO FLATBREAD (GLUTEN …
HOW TO MAKE POTATO FLATBREAD ROTI - THE TORTILLA …
ALOO PARATHA (INDIAN POTATO STUFFED FLATBREAD)
2 INGREDIENT POTATO FLATBREAD ⋆ THE GARDENING FOODIE
SWEET POTATO FLATBREAD RECIPE - THE ROTI MAKER
MEDITERRANEAN POTATO “FLATBREAD” - RECIPES
STUFFED FLATBREAD RECIPES: POTATO, CHEESE OR SOUR CHERRIES
FLATBREAD RECIPES FROM AROUND THE WORLD | ALLRECIPES
POTATO STUFFED FLATBREAD (ALOO PARATHA) – MY.LITTLE.FOOD.CRITIC
KARTOFLUFLATBRAUTH | TECHTEAM QA 9 WIKI | FANDOM
ALOO PARATHA (EASY POTATO STUFFED FLATBREAD) - RECIPE GARDEN
EVERYTHING MASHED POTATO FLATBREAD RECIPE | GF POTATO BREAD …
KARTOFLUFLATBRAUTH | RECIPES WIKI | FANDOM
20 EASY FLATBREAD RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
TRADITIONAL FINNISH POTATO FLATBREAD | INTHEKITCHNWITHELISA
POTATO FLATBREAD RECIPE - VEENA AZMANOV
EASY POTATO FLATBREAD - BEAUTIFULINGREDIENT.COM
POTATO FARLS | AN AUTHENTIC IRISH BREAKFAST - HURRY THE FOOD UP
RECIPEDB - COSYLAB.IIITD.EDU.IN
POTATO-STUFFED FLATBREADS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
BEST LOADED POTATO FLATBREAD RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK …
FLUFFY IRISH POTATO FLATBREAD WITH GARLIC BUTTER, CHEESE, AND BABY …
OUR 35+ BEST FLATBREAD RECIPES – THE KITCHEN COMMUNITY
RECIPE: TRUFFLED POTATO & GOAT CHEESE FLATBREAD - KITCHN
POTATO FLATBREAD (GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN, NO-YEAST)
SWEET POTATO FLATBREAD - UNBOUND WELLNESS
SLOVAK LOKšE POTATO BREAD RECIPE - COOK LIKE CZECHS
VEGAN POTATO FLATBREAD RECIPE • VEGGIE SOCIETY
POTATO FLATBREADS RECIPE / RIVERFORD
POTATO FLATBREAD (KARTOFLUFLATBRAUTH) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
QUICK AND EASY FLATBREADS - KING ARTHUR BAKING
POTATO FLATBREAD GLUTEN FREE
BUCKWHEAT FLATBREAD | KUTTU PARATHA MY COOKING JOURNEY
SHORTCUT POTATO HERB FLATBREAD - TARA TEASPOON
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to make potato flatbread?This easy potato flatbread requires just ONE ingredient – a potato, for a wheat-free, gluten-free, yeast-free, paleo flatbread – perfect for making quick and healthy wraps or pizza! Prepare the potato. I use pre-cooked potatoes for this recipe so cook according to your favorite method: boiled, steamed, baked, etc.
How to cook roti potato flatbreads?Preheat a cast-iron skillet to medium-hot before adding the flatbread. You do not need to add oil or butter to the skillet. Dry cook the flatbread for 30 seconds, then flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Flip again until you see brown patches. Take the roti potato flatbreads out of the pan and keep warm underneath a clean kitchen towel.
Is mashed potato flatbread gluten free?These Gluten Free Everything Mashed Potato Flatbread are just as tasty as a Bagel but are much Easier to Make. They make a perfect side for a big bowl of Soup, or a deliciously Soft Bun for Sandwiches or Burgers. Cook then mash the potatoes, then set aside to cool.
How do you make flatbread soft and fluffy?A smear of butter or oil helps keep the flatbread soft longer. Dough shrinks back -Similar to any other dough, gluten needs to rest. So, instead of trying to roll a dough that resists, just leave it for 10 minutes.