AU GRATIN POTATOES
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease 1 1/2-quart casserole with shortening or spray with cooking spray.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese until melted.
- Spread potatoes in casserole. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Bake uncovered 1 hour.
- In small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup cheese and the bread crumbs; sprinkle over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until top is brown and bubbly and potatoes are tender.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the cream and milk to a large saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the nutmeg, a big pinch of salt and some pepper. Meanwhile, slice the potatoes on a mandoline to 1/8-inch thick. Place the potatoes in the warm cream mixture and simmer gently until the potatoes are two-thirds of the way cooked and the cream has thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Place a 9-by-12-inch flameproof gratin dish on the stove over low heat. Brush the bottom and the sides with the melted butter. Spread the garlic around the bottom of the dish. Cook just long enough to toast the garlic in the butter, 3 to 4 minutes. Add a layer of the potato mixture. Combine the Gruyere and Parmesan in a bowl, then sprinkle a third of the cheese over the potatoes. Repeat the layering 2 more times, finishing with the remaining cheese. Pick the thyme leaves and sprinkle over the top, mixing with last layer of cheese. Place the gratin dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until bubbly and golden, 45 to 50 minutes (see Cook's Note).
SIMPLE AU GRATIN POTATOES
These homemade au gratin potatoes are always welcome at our dinner table, and they're so simple to make. A perfect complement to ham, this homey potato gratin also goes well with pork, chicken and other entrees. -Cris O'Brien, Virginia Beach, Virginia
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion., Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. If desired, top with additional pepper.
In this classic gratin, thinly sliced potatoes soak up all the goodness of a milk-and-cream mixture that has been spiked with nutmeg. A sprinkling of grated Gruyere cheese on top becomes gooey in the oven. Using a mandoline creates thin slices, which helps the gratin cook more evenly.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel potatoes, and place in a bowl of water to prevent discoloring. Rub inside of a 9-by-12-inch oval baking dish with cut sides of garlic. Heat cream, milk, nutmeg, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat until bubbles form around edge. Season with pepper. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, slice potatoes 1/8 inch thick; transfer to a bowl. Pour warm cream mixture over top. Mix well, using your hands to separate and coat potatoes, and transfer to prepared dish. Gently push potatoes down, and pour cream mixture from bowl over top. Sprinkle with Gruyere. Bake (with a baking sheet placed on the rack below to catch drips) until potatoes are fork tender and top is bubbling and brown, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
CREAMY AU GRATIN POTATOES
This is my husband's favorite dish, and he considers it a special occasion every time I make it. The creamy cheese sauce and the tender potatoes in this classic French dish combine to make a deliciously addictive experience. It's a great side dish with a roast pork loin or beef tenderloin. Add a green salad and French bread, and you have found the magic path to a man's heart. To avoid lumps in your sauce, add the milk just a little at a time as you stir the flour and butter. Experiment with different cheeses for variety.
Provided by CathyM
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a medium casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.
More about "potato gratin recipes"
POTATOES AU GRATIN - ONCE UPON A CHEF
2019-11-12 · This crazy-good recipe for potatoes au gratin comes from my dear friend Kelly Santoro, and it’s almost identical to the recipe I learned in culinary school. It …
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Grease an 8-inch (or 2-quart) baking dish with butter.
- Arrange some of the potato slices, edges overlapping, in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle a quarter of the cheese over the potatoes, and then pour a quarter of the cream over the cheese. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cheese, and cream, forming 4 layers. Pour any leftover cream over top.
- Place in the oven and bake, uncovered, for about an hour, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife and golden brown on top. Let the dish settle on the counter for about ten minutes. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, if using, and then serve.
CLASSIC POTATO GRATIN RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
2015-10-20 · Preheat oven to 325°. Cut 1 garlic clove in half and rub the inside of a 3-qt. shallow baking dish with cut sides. Smear butter all over inside of dish. Bring …
- Preheat oven to 325°. Cut 1 garlic clove in half and rub the inside of a 3-qt. shallow baking dish with cut sides. Smear butter all over inside of dish. Bring shallots, cream, salt, pepper, 1 Tbsp. thyme, and remaining 4 garlic cloves to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat; cook until shallots and garlic are very soft, 15–20 minutes. Let cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; blend until smooth.
- Arrange potato slices in prepared dish, fanning out a handful at a time and placing in dish at an angle (this ensures every scoop will have tender potatoes from the bottom and crisp edges from the top). Shingle as you work until bottom of dish is covered. Tuck smaller slices into any gaps to fill. Pour cream mixture over potatoes and cover dish tightly with foil. Bake potatoes until tender and creamy, 60–75 minutes. Let cool.
- Place rack in highest position; heat broiler. Remove foil and top potatoes with Gruyère and Parmesan. Broil until cheese is bubbling and top of gratin is golden brown, 5–10 minutes. Serve topped with more thyme leaves.
- Do Ahead: Gratin can be baked 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before broiling.
CHEESY MINI POTATO GRATIN STACKS (MUFFIN TIN) | RECIPETIN EATS
2015-09-25 · Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray a standard 12 hole muffin tin with oil. Peel potatoes. Stand upright then cut into cylinder shapes, then slice potatoes into …
- Peel potatoes. Stand upright then cut into cylinder shapes, then slice potatoes into thin slices around 2mm/ 1/10" thick.
- Place butter, garlic, cream, salt, pepper and dried thyme in a microwave proof cup or bowl, then melt in 30 second bursts.
CREAMY POTATO GRATIN RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
2019-06-12 · Rub cut garlic around base and sides of a shallow one-litre gratin dish, then lightly grease with butter. Peel and finely slice potatoes. 2. Gently heat cream, milk …
- 1. Heat oven to 200C. Rub cut garlic around base and sides of a shallow one-litre gratin dish, then lightly grease with butter. Peel and finely slice potatoes.
- 2. Gently heat cream, milk, nutmeg and garlic halves in a saucepan until just under the boil. Add potatoes to hot milk mixture and simmer for 10 minutes, jiggling them every now and then to stop them sticking.
- 3. Use a slotted spoon to layer half the potatoes in the gratin dish, scatter with half the cheese, salt and pepper, then top with remaining potatoes.
- 4. Discard garlic and pour hot milk over the top. Scatter with remaining cheese, sea salt and pepper and bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until potatoes are cooked and gratin is bubbling and richly golden. If not, raise heat to 220C for another 10 minutes before serving.
CREAMY POTATO GRATIN RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
Butter the inside of an ovenproof dish, around 30cm x 30cm, and at least 6cm deep. Pour the milk and cream into a wide pan with the bay leaves and garlic. Bring to the …
- But, if you’ve got a big crowd for Christmas then this gratin is an exciting and quite luxurious way of serving potatoes.
- You could either make them instead of, or as well as, your roast potatoes.Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Butter the inside of an ovenproof dish, around 30cm x 30cm, and at least 6cm deep.Pour the milk and cream into a wide pan with the bay leaves and garlic.
POTATOES AU GRATIN (DAUPHINOISE) | RECIPETIN EATS
2020-12-20 · Potatoes au Gratin – forget scalloped potatoes, THIS is the creme de la creme of all potato recipes!! Also known as Dauphinoise Potatoes, this French …
- Layer 1: Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in a baking dish (Note 3), then pour over 1/3 of the Cream Mixture, scatter with 1/3 of the salt, pepper and thyme. Sprinkle with 3/4 cups cheese.
POTATOES GRATIN: FOOD NETWORK RECIPE | TYLER FLORENCE ...
2015-05-23 · Deselect All. 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and sliced paper-thin. 2 cups heavy cream. 2 garlic cloves, split. Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs. 3 …
SUPER EASY POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
2021-05-24 · In a large saucepan, place the potatoes, milk, cream, 1 of the crushed garlic cloves, salt to taste, a dash of pepper, and a dash of nutmeg or mace. Bring to a …
POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - LOVEFOOD.COM
Potato gratin recipe. Recipes. loveFOOD 0 Comments. Share the love. A crowd-pleasing side which is great served with pork chops, grilled meat or fish. You can never …
See details »
SCALLOPED POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - SKINNYTASTE
2019-11-08 · A delicious Scalloped Potato Gratin recipe made with thinly sliced Yukon gold potatoes layered with cheese and a light buttery sauce. Scalloped Potatoes. If you …
- Arrange half of the potato slices in the baking dish; top with 1/4 cup cheese. Add the remaining potatoes.
POTATO GRATIN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
2009-10-20 · Recipes; Potato Gratin; Potato Gratin. Rating: 3.5 stars. 17 Ratings. 5 star values: 5 4 star values: 4 3 star values: 2 2 star values: 4 1 star values: 2 Read …
- Rub a broiler-safe 11 x 7-inch baking dish with garlic; discard garlic. Coat dish with butter. Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (through potatoes) in a skillet; bring to a simmer. Cook 8 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Spoon potato mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes.
POTATO GRATIN - BECEL CANADA
2021-03-20 · Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in prepared pie plate in a circular pattern. Spoon 1/3 of the margarine mixture over top, spreading out onions. Repeat layers 2 more times.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly brush 10-in. (25 cm) pie plate with Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*.
- Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in prepared pie plate in a circular pattern. Spoon 1/3 of the margarine mixture over top, spreading out onions. Repeat layers 2 more times.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender and crispy brown around the outside edge, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges.
TWO-POTATO GRATIN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Over flat layer, alternate baking potato and sweet potato slices, in shingle-like fashion. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon chives, and …
- Place potatoes in a large stockpot; cover with stock. Bring mixture to a boil; cook 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully remove potatoes from pot using a slotted spoon, reserving cooking liquid. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan; set aside. Strain cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl; reserve 1 cup cooking liquid. Discard solids and remaining cooking liquid.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan. Sprinkle flour over oil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Combine milk and reserved 1 cup cooking liquid. Gradually pour milk mixture into flour mixture in pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add thyme sprigs to pan. Bring mixture to a boil; cook 4 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl, reserving sauce; discard solids. Stir 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and Gruyère cheese into sauce.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of a broiler-safe 2-quart ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange a single, flat layer of sweet potato and then baking potato slices over sauce. Over flat layer, alternate baking potato and sweet potato slices, in shingle-like fashion. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon chives, and chopped thyme; pour remaining sauce over potato mixture. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife.
THE ONLY POTATO GRATIN RECIPE YOU NEED - FRENCH COOKING ...
2020-06-13 · After lots of research and testing various existing gratin making techniques I am today re-visiting the making of the potato gratin. I went on a quest to be able …
POTATO GRATIN RECIPE : SBS FOOD
Slice the potatoes into 5 mm thick slices and arrange in the buttered dish. Mix the cream and milk together and pour over the potatoes. Scatter garlic slices over …
POTATOES AU GRATIN RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
2021-08-18 · Stir in 3/4 cup of the grated cheese. Set aside. Blanch the potatoes in the cream: In a large pot combine the heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper, and thyme. Add the …
See details »
SWEET POTATO RUSSET POTATO GRATIN RECIPES
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Stir together cream, milk, butter, and garlic in a small saucepan over medium …
See details »
10 BEST EVER POTATOES AU GRATIN RECIPE : POTATOES
2021-08-21 · Potatoes au Gratin Recipe. The humble potato gets the red carpet treatment in this easy yet luxurious recipe for potatoes au gratin. Sliced Yukon Gold or …
See details »
POTATO GRATIN WITH GRUYERE AND GARLIC - ANNABEL LANGBEIN ...
2021-08-13 · 10 (2kg) large potatoes, peeled and sliced 1-1.5cm thick. 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced. 100g gruyere or cheddar cheese, coarsely grated. 1-1½ cups cream. 2 tsp salt …
See details »
POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Method. Put the milk, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and leek into a pan, bring to the boil, then turn off the heat and leave to infuse for 1 hour. Strain the milk and …
See details »
THE BEST CLASSIC POTATO GRATIN: CREAMY ON THE INSIDE AND ...
2018-08-10 · Like many classic dishes, recipes for potato gratin are all over the map. The basic idea is always the same—sliced potatoes are layered, smothered in cream …
See details »
THE VERY BEST POTATOES AU GRATIN RECIPE - YOUTUBE
Thinly sliced potatoes are combined with butter, cream and tons of cheese before being baked to a bubbly, golden perfection. Simple to prepare and fantastic ...
See details »
GRATIN RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
See details »
POTATOES AU GRATIN RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
More Potatoes Au Gratin Recipes. Pommes Anna with Gruyere. Pommes Anna with Gruyere . Rating: 4.82 stars. 22 . Layers of thinly sliced Yukon Gold potatoes, stacked …
See details »
weeknight time-to-make course main-ingredient preparation occasion side-dishes potatoes vegetables oven potluck heirloom-historical holiday-event kid-friendly vegetarian easter dietary christmas thanksgiving low-sodium gluten-free comfort-food independence-day free-of-something low-in-something taste-mood to-go equipment number-of-servings 4-hours-or-less