A sweet and sour side dish that's really nice with pork, ham, or sausage. Tastes better on day two, and freezes well.
Provided by Arita Droog
Categories Side Dish Vegetables
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place water in a large saucepan, and stir in cabbage, apples, brown sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and 1 tablespoon butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender. Stir in remaining butter before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 135.7 calories, Carbohydrate 25.8 g, Cholesterol 10.2 mg, Fat 4.1 g, Fiber 3.8 g, Protein 1.6 g, SaturatedFat 2.5 g, Sodium 56.3 mg, Sugar 19.7 g
SAUTEED RED CABBAGE
For a quick and easy side dish, try Rachael Ray's Sauteed Red Cabbage recipe, flavored with vinegar, sugar and mustard, from 30 Minute Meals on Food Network.
Provided by Rachael Ray : Food Network
Yield 4 side dish servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and onion and saute 2 minutes. Add cabbage and turn in pan, sauteing it until it wilts, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vinegar to the pan and turn the cabbage in it. Sprinkle sugar over the cabbage and turn again. Season with mustard seed, salt and pepper and reduce heat a bit. Let cabbage continue to cook 10 minutes or until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.
SAUTEED RED CABBAGE
The vegetable side has a slightly sweet-and-sour flavor.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Quick & Easy Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Halve, core, and thinly slice red cabbage.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage and red-wine vinegar; season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 15 minutes (add a splash of water if pan becomes dry).
- Add light-brown sugar; toss until dissolved, about 30 seconds. Season again with salt and pepper, as desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 102 g, Fat 3 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 2 g
GERMAN RED CABBAGE
Sunday afternoons were a time for family gatherings when I was a kid. While the uncles played cards, the aunts made treats such as this traditional German red cabbage recipe. -Jeannette Heim, Dunlap, Tennessee
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion and apple over medium heat until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; cook, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 64 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 23mg sodium, Carbohydrate 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES
This is an adaptation of a classic cabbage dish that I never tire of. The cabbage cooks for a long time, until it is very tender and sweet. I like to serve this with bulgur, or as a side dish with just about anything. You can halve the quantities if you don't want to make such a large amount.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories easy, one pot, side dish
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Prepare the cabbage, and cover with cold water while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, lidded skillet or casserole, and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until just about tender, about three minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring, until the mixture is golden, about three minutes, then add the apples and stir for two to three minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and add to the pot. Toss to coat thoroughly, then stir in the allspice, another 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, and salt to taste. Toss together. Cover the pot, and cook over low heat for one hour, stirring from time to time. Add freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust salt, and add another tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar as desired.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 102, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 17 grams, Fat 4 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 2 grams, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 453 milligrams, Sugar 10 grams, TransFat 0 grams
RED CABBAGE RAGù
What ingredient is the base for many hearty meals, turns crusty-browned when seared, tender when slow-cooked and makes for a good ragù? Ground meat and pork shoulder, yes, but also cabbage. Its hidden sweetness shines when seared in plenty of oil and braised until glazed and soft. In this vegan pasta sauce, cabbage slumps as its juices release and mingle with red wine and caramelized tomato paste. To ensure the flavors aren't too diluted, use just a small amount of water and trust that the cabbage will release moisture as it cooks. Use this warming braise to sauce fat noodles, or eat it with polenta, mashed potatoes, beans, sausage or a fried egg. The cabbage can be cooked up to three days ahead.
Provided by Ali Slagle
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Working in batches if necessary, add the cabbage wedges cut side down in a single layer, season with salt and cook until well browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly. Repeat with remaining cabbage, adding more oil as needed.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the onion to the empty pot. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to turn golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Coarsely chop the cooked cabbage, including the core.
- Reserve 1 teaspoon of the garlic, and add the remaining garlic and the tomato paste to the onions. Cook, stirring constantly, until the tomato paste is a shade darker, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook, scraping up browned bits, until nearly evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage, 1/4 cup parsley and the sugar, and stir to coat in the tomato paste. Season with salt. Add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is soft and shiny, 15 to 20 minutes. (If the cabbage is sticking to the pot, add 1 tablespoon water and reduce the heat.)
- In a small bowl, stir the reserved 1 teaspoon garlic into the remaining 1/2 cup parsley. Add the red-pepper flakes, if using.
- When the cabbage is just about done, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Reserve 2 cups pasta water, then drain the pasta. (If the cabbage is ready before the pasta, keep covered off the heat.) Add the pasta and 1 cup pasta water to the cabbage. Stir over medium-low until the pasta is glossed with sauce. Add more pasta water as needed to thin the sauce. Divide among bowls and top with parsley-garlic mixture.
RED CABBAGE COLESLAW
This is a very colorful cabbage salad with a nice and tangy light dressing. Recipe is easy to half. From Meal Lean i Yumm!
Provided by LUv 2 BaKE
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Combine vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
- In a microwavable bowl combine oil, vinegar, and sugar; Microwave uncovered for about 45 seconds to dissolve sugar - NOTE if you are using splenda omit this step.
- Pour hot dressing over vegetables; mix well.
- Refrigerate to blend flavours.
- Leftovers will keep a couple days in the fridge.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 52.2, Fat 1.8, SaturatedFat 0.2, Sodium 27.2, Carbohydrate 8.6, Fiber 1.9, Sugar 5.1, Protein 1.2
DANISH RED CABBAGE
A great recipe for red cabbage .I got this recipe from Keep The Home Fires Burning, Empress, Calgary cookbook.
Provided by DotM7037
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Slice red cabbage thinly.
- Add remaining ingredients except jelly.
- Cover and boil 1 hour.
- The lasts 15 minutes add the jelly.
- Can be eaten hot or cold.
- It is also good on a sandwich with roast beef or roast pork.
More about "red cabbage recipes"
RED CABBAGE RECIPES | MARTHA STEWART
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
25 BEST RED CABBAGE RECIPES | WHAT TO MAKE WITH RED …
15 RED CABBAGE RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE | TASTE OF HOME
Author Caroline Stanko
ROASTED RED CABBAGE - THE WHOLE COOK
RED CABBAGE RECIPE INDIAN - RUMKI'S GOLDEN SPOON
RED CABBAGE SLAW (QUICK HOMEMADE DRESSING) - SPEND WITH …
AUTHENTIC GERMAN RED CABBAGE (ROTKRAUT) - RECIPES FROM EUROPE
19 RED CABBAGE RECIPES - DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
SWEET AND SOUR GERMAN RED CABBAGE RECIPE
15+ EASY RED CABBAGE RECIPES | EATINGWELL
TRADITIONAL GERMAN RED CABBAGE (ROTKOHL) RECIPE
59 CABBAGE RECIPES FOR WEEKNIGHT DINNERS AND EASY SIDE …
OMA'S GERMAN RED CABBAGE RECIPE ~ ROTKOHL
SIMPLE RED CABBAGE SALAD - RECIPE - A KITCHEN IN ISTANBUL
TOP 10 RED CABBAGE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
BRAISED GERMAN RED CABBAGE (ROTKOHL) - DISH 'N' THE KITCHEN
HOW TO COOK WITH RED CABBAGE: 8 DELICIOUS WAYS
DELICIOUS RED CABBAGE SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - YUM VEGAN BLOG
14 RED CABBAGE RECIPES FOR FALL - THE SPRUCE EATS
SWEET RED CABBAGE FOR ROAST DINNER ⋆ EXTRAORDINARY CHAOS
RED CABBAGE RECIPE: TASTY SOUTHWEST SAUTéED SIDE DISH
HOW TO COOK RED CABBAGE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
BRAISED RED CABBAGE - SPEND WITH PENNIES
15 BEST RECIPES TO USE UP LEFTOVER RED CABBAGE - THE CROOKED …
10 BEST RED CABBAGE SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
RED CABBAGE | VEGETABLES RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
RED CABBAGE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
10 BEST GERMAN RED CABBAGE RECIPES | YUMMLY
RED CABBAGE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
QUICK RED CABBAGE RECIPE MADE JUST LIKE OMA
EASY RED CABBAGE RECIPES | GOODTOKNOW
EASY BRAISED RED CABBAGE RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER SIDES RECIPES
TRADITIONAL BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
RED CABBAGE RECIPES - BBC FOOD
BEST RED CABBAGE RECIPES - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
GERMAN RED CABBAGE - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
RED CABBAGE SAUERKRAUT | FERMENTATION RECIPE
RED CABBAGE RECIPES - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
RED CABBAGE SALAD RECIPE - THE WHOLESOME RECIPE BOX
RED CABBAGE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #low-protein #side-dishes #vegetables #easy #european #beginner-cook #holiday-event #dietary #low-sodium #low-calorie #inexpensive #low-in-something #3-steps-or-less #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love