- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium. Add scallions; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, chicken broth, and 1 cup water. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover; cook until rice is tender and has absorbed liquid, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes more.
- Fluff with a fork; fold in cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 200 g, Fat 2 g, Protein 4 g
CHICKEN AND RICE WITH SCALLION-GINGER SAUCE
Chicken and rice is a favorite combination around the world. This version, an Asian-inspired one-pot meal, coaxes a lot of flavor out of a limited ingredient list. Rinsing rice until the water runs clear helps remove extra starch on the outside of the grains and will make rice less gummy when cooked. The most essential step when cooking rice on the stovetop is to resist the urge to peek under the lid; the telltale sign that the rice is done is when the steam rising from under the lid has subsided. (In the early stages of cooking rice, there may be visible steam escaping the saucepan, but as the moisture is absorbed by the rice, you may notice less steam.)
Provided by Sue Li
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Place rice in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse under cold water, shaking gently, until the water runs clear. In a medium saucepan, combine rice, broth and 1 tablespoon grated ginger. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper and place on top of rice mixture. Cover and bring mixture to a boil over high. Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until rice is plump, broth is absorbed and chicken is cooked through, 20 to 22 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest, covered, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the vegetable oil, scallions, vinegar, jalapeño, sesame seeds, sesame oil, sugar and remaining ginger; season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from saucepan and slice 1/2-inch thick crosswise. Fluff rice with a fork and divide among bowls. Top with chicken and scallion-ginger sauce.
HERB AND SCALLION RICE
- Puree water, cilantro, mint, scallions, and garlic in a blender until smooth.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add rice, and stir to coat. Cook until slightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add herb puree and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Place a medium-size pot with a lid over medium-high heat with about 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook it for a minute, then add the chicken stock.
- Bring the liquids up to a bubble, then put the lid on the pot, reduce the heat and cook until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid, 40-45 minutes (18-20 minutes for white rice).
- Fluff the cooked rice with a fork and stir in scallions.
- Alternately you can cook this in your rice cooker, according to cooking directions. I have to presoak brown rice. Just skip the browning, oil is optional, and add scallions at the end. Fluff and serve.
- In a large saucepan bring 4 quarts water to a boil with the salt. Sprinkle in the rice, stirring until the water returns to a boil, and boil it for 10 minutes. Drain the rice in a large colander and rinse it. Set the colander over a large saucepan of boiling water and steam the rice, covered with a kitchen towel and the lid, for 15 minutes, or until it is fluffy and dry. In a small skillet cook the white part of the scallion in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until it is softened and in a bowl toss the rice with the scallion mixture, the scallion greens, and salt and pepper to taste.
TOFU AND RICE WITH SCALLION OIL
The genius of this six-ingredient dish lies in the easy but mighty scallion oil. There are many ways to make scallion oil, ranging from merely pouring hot oil over scallions to more elaborate preparations involving a myriad of ingredients. This version adds fish sauce and a touch of sugar. The result is an umami-laden sauce that transforms a simple bowl of tofu and rice into an example of Vietnamese home cooking at its simplest and finest. You'll make more scallion oil than needed for this recipe. Refrigerate the leftover oil in an airtight container for up to five days and use it to dress grilled meats, roasted potatoes or vegetables.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 2 to 3 servings
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Cut the tofu block crosswise into 6 equal segments, then cut the segments into 3 equal pieces to make 18 pieces. Press the tofu pieces between paper towels to dry them. Set aside.
- Add the scallions, fish sauce and sugar to a medium heatproof bowl and place the bowl next to the stove. Place a wire rack in a baking pan or sheet and place next to the stove as well.
- Add 2 1/2 inches of oil to a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan or high-walled cast-iron skillet set over medium-high heat. When the oil reaches 190 degrees F (see Cook's Note), ladle out 1/2 cup of oil and slowly pour over the scallion mixture; it should sizzle. Set aside the scallion oil while you fry the tofu.
- Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan to 375 degrees F. Add the tofu and fry until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the tofu to the wire rack-lined baking pan to drain.
- Divide the tofu among 2 to 3 bowls of rice. Stir the scallion oil to incorporate the oil with the scallions, then ladle generous spoonfuls over the tofu.
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil; lower the heat and keep at a scant simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan (see note) heat 4 tablespoons of the butter and cook the white parts of the scallions, stirring until they're soft, about 2 minutes. Add the rice, stirring with a wooden spoon, until all the grains are coated with butter. Add the wine and cook the mixture at a low simmer, stirring until all the wine is absorbed, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth and continue to simmer the mixture, stirring until the broth is absorbed. Keep adding broth by the 1/2 cup and repeating as above until the rice is creamy and al dente The rice may not absorb all the broth, so it's best to taste the mixture before adding the last 1/2 cup.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the green scallion tops, cheese and white pepper.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 431, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 51 grams, Fat 17 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 13 grams, SaturatedFat 10 grams, Sodium 480 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams, TransFat 0 grams
SCALLION-GINGER FRIED RICE
- Finely chop enough scallions to measure about 3 cups. Rinse bean sprouts and trim stringy root ends if desired.
- Make seasoning liquid:
- In a small bowl stir together seasoning liquid ingredients.
- Spread rice in a shallow baking pan and separate grains with a fork.
- In a deep 12-inch heavy non-stick skillet heat corn or safflower oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and stir-fry scallions and gingerroot until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add bean sprouts and rice wine or sake and stir-fry until sprouts begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through. Stir seasoning liquid and add to fried rice, tossing to coat evenly.
LEMON RICE WITH SCALLIONS
Delicious side dish with fish from a local church cookbook. I used 1 good shake of dried parsley since my kids don't like the flecks. Tastes great!
Provided by Oolala
Categories Long Grain Rice
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat broth, salt, and garlic in a heavy saucepan to boiling.
- Stir in rice, cover, and simmer until liquid is gone; about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the zest of one whole lemon and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Gently stir in butter and parsley (or dill).
- Season with pepper to taste and place in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle scallions over top of rice and sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 259.9, Fat 7, SaturatedFat 4, Cholesterol 15.3, Sodium 779.2, Carbohydrate 41.2, Fiber 1.9, Sugar 1.6, Protein 7.3
More about "scallion rice recipes"
SCALLION RICE - EASY VEGAN RECIPE - THIS WIFE COOKS™
Ratings 9Servings 4Cuisine American, Asian, Indian, MexicanCategory Dinner, Lunch, Side Dish
- Into a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the rice. Stir frequently for 1 minute.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 17 minutes, until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
CREAMY RICE WITH SCALLOPS RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
SCALLION RICE | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE COMMUNITY!
SCALLION CILANTRO RICE WITH HABANEROS AND LIME
LEMONY RICE PILAF WITH SCALLIONS - RECIPE - FINECOOKING
BOBBY FLAY’S CRISPY COCONUT SCALLION RICE RECIPE
CRISPY COCONUT-SCALLION RICE RECIPE - RACHAEL RAY SHOW
SCALLION RECIPES - RECIPES USING SCALLIONS - DELISH
GINGER, GARLIC AND SCALLION FRIED RICE RECIPE - FOOD NETWORK
Author Khalil Hymore for Food Network Kitchen FromDifficulty Easy
SCALLION RICE - CLICK 'N COOK
SIMPLE BROWN RICE WITH SCALLIONS - DIABETES FOOD HUB
SCALLION RICE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
EASY FRIED RICE RECIPE
EASY MEXICAN RICE WITH SCALLIONS AND LIME - EASY RECIPE DEPOT
GRAIN > SCALLION RICE - NHLBI DELICIOUSLY HEALTHY EATING RECIPES
STICKY CHILI-LIME TOFU OVER SCALLION RICE MEAL KIT DELIVERY
TOMATO SCALLION RICE RECIPE — THE MOM 100
CRISPY WHITE RICE WITH SCALLION & GINGER - WINE A LITTLE, COOK A LOT
SCALLION RICE - THEGRADCHEF.COM
FILIPPO BERIO SCALLION RICE
MUSHROOM AND SCALLION RICE NOODLES - THE TWIN COOKING PROJECT …
GINGER, SCALLION, AND TERIYAKI FRIED RICE - THE FOODIE TAKES FLIGHT
SCALLION CILANTRO LIME RICE - FOODIE WITH FAMILY
SCALLION RICE RECIPE | RECIPE | RECIPES, RICE, FOOD
CHICKEN & RICE WITH SCALLION-GINGER OIL - TIFFY COOKS
FRIED RICE WITH BACON AND SCALLIONS - CTV
FRIED BROWN RICE WITH SCALLIONS AND EGGS RECIPE - FOOD & WINE
ORANGE-SCALLION BROWN RICE RECIPE | COOKING LIGHT
SCALLION FRIED RICE | NOURISH DELICIOUSLY
STEAK AND SCALLION RICE CAKE STIR-FRY - THE WOKS OF LIFE
SCALLION-CILANTRO-HABANERO FRIED RICE - COOKING WITH RIA
SCALLION FRIED RICE RECIPE - CUISINART.COM
BACON SCALLION RICE RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
SCALLION RICE RECIPES | BIGOVEN
BOBBY FLAY SHARES HIS CRISPY COCONUT-SCALLION RICE RECIPE FROM …
SCALLION RICE | MYPLATE
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #5-ingredients-or-less #side-dishes #rice #easy #dietary #low-sodium #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #low-in-something #pasta-rice-and-grains #brown-rice #white-rice
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook rice with scallions in it?Step 1 In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium. Add scallions; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Advertisement Step 2 Stir in rice, chicken broth, and 1 cup water. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
What's in a bowl of rice with scallions and cilantro?4 scallions, thinly sliced 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth Coarse salt and ground pepper 2/3 cup chopped (packed) fresh cilantro leaves Directions Instructions Checklist
How do you cook scallions in a wok?Add the scallion paste to the cooked rice, and stir with a rubber spatula until evenly distributed. Then, in the food processor, process the white parts of the scallions until finely chopped. Set your wok over medium-high heat, and add the oil along with the ginger. Cook for 30 seconds.
How to cook rice with green onions?A light and mild-flavored white rice dish made with fresh green onions and lemon zest. Ready to serve in about 20 minutes. Into a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the rice. Stir frequently for 1 minute.