SPICY CORN AND COCONUT SOUP
A good corn soup is creamy and naturally sweet; an even better corn soup is spicy, refreshing and addictive. In this recipe, it's the combination of shallots, garlic, ginger, chiles and coconut milk, rather than heavy cream or butter, that makes the soup at once cooling and rich. It's a dinner in a bowl (and a vegan one at that), but it would surely welcome a side of steamed rice or salad of leafy greens. To serve, add garnishes that are any combination of spicy (extra fresh chile or store-bought chile oil), crunchy (toasted coconut, chopped peanuts or cashews, fried shallots) or fresh (torn cilantro, chopped scallions), and it'll be even more dynamic.
Provided by Sarah Jampel
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and transfer to a bowl. Using the back of a butter knife, scrape the cobs so that all of the milky juices collect in the bowl and the cobs look completely dry, like wrung-out sponges. Set aside. (If using frozen kernels, skip this step.)
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add shallots, garlic, ginger and chile, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Add corn kernels and juices to the pot, and sauté until the corn is softer and brighter, about 3 minutes more.
- Add potato pieces, and stir to coat, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Now, pour in the vegetable broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender all the way through.
- Use an immersion blender to roughly purée the soup, so that it's creamy with some kernels of corn, chunks of potato, and chile flecks remaining. (Alternatively, ladle about half of the soup into a blender, blend until smooth, and return to the pot.) Season with lime juice and salt, and mix to combine. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with toppings of your choice.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 482, UnsaturatedFat 8 grams, Carbohydrate 50 grams, Fat 32 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 9 grams, SaturatedFat 22 grams, Sodium 1231 milligrams, Sugar 12 grams, TransFat 0 grams
CREAMY CORN SOUP
This soup is really easy to make, lower in fat than most cream soups, and delicious - especially if you are fighting off a cold! Try adding a chopped green chile pepper sauteed in the initial onion mixture or some small slices of chicken stirred in.
Provided by Abby
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, parsley and butter or margarine. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until onions are tender.
- Add the flour, stirring well, to make a pasty mixture. Whisk in the milk and the broth. Add the corn and the cream cheese and allow to heat through. Add the garlic salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Stir together and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 310.5 calories, Carbohydrate 46.4 g, Cholesterol 22.2 mg, Fat 10.9 g, Fiber 3.9 g, Protein 12.5 g, SaturatedFat 4.8 g, Sodium 1275.1 mg, Sugar 13.2 g
CHEF JOHN'S JUST CORN SOUP
This is one of my all-time favorite ways to enjoy fresh, summer corn, and a great lesson in just how little help these sweet ears need. If you're using perfect, peak season ears, a little butter, salt and pepper is really all you need.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 5
- After cutting corn from kernels, scrape the cob using the dull side of the knife to collect the sweet milky liquid at the base of the kernels. Toss corn kernels to separate them and make sure no corn silk remains.
- Place half of the the kernels in a saucepan and half in the bowl of a blender. Add cold water to the blender. Blend on highest setting until completely smooth, 1 or 2 minutes. Pour mixture into saucepan containing the rest of the corn. Place pot on medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. When mixture begins to simmer, stir and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Continue to simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to lowest setting and add butter. Using an immersion blender, mix soup in several pulses until butter emulsifies into the soup and mixture comes together and looks creamy, about 30 seconds.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 150.4 calories, Carbohydrate 22 g, Cholesterol 15.3 mg, Fat 7.1 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 3.8 g, SaturatedFat 3.9 g, Sodium 604.8 mg, Sugar 3.7 g
CORN SILK SOUP
- In a blender or food processor mix together all ingredients.
- Process until smooth.
- Turn into saucepan and heat.
- Serve with sprinkled chives or parsley or grated cheese.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 145.6, Fat 3.9, SaturatedFat 2.2, Cholesterol 12.8, Sodium 680.2, Carbohydrate 26.1, Fiber 1.5, Sugar 3.9, Protein 5.1
SILKY CORN SOUP
- 1. Strip the kernels off the corn as close as possible to the cobs. Place both the kernels and the cobs in a large, heavy pot with the broth, making sure the broth covers both the cobs and the kernels. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until the corn is tender and the broth is flavored. Set aside to cool. Remove and discard the cobs.
- 2. Puree the soup in a food processor.
- 3. Pour the soup through a fine strainer back into the pot to remove any particles from the kernels, tapping the strainer well to extract as much liquid as possible. Add the lemon juice and salt. Heat through over very low heat for the flavors to blend. Cool to room temperature.
- 4. Stir in the coconut milk. Chill in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours. Adjust the seasonings. Serve the soup chilled, garnished with basil or cilantro.
VELVETY CHILLED CORN SOUP
- Using cleaver or heavy large knife, cut each ear of corn crosswise in half. Place corn in heavy large pot. Add 5 cups broth, shallots, and onion; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until corn is very tender, about 25 minutes. Using tongs, transfer corn to large bowl to cool; reserve broth.
- Cut corn kernels off cobs. Return 4 cups corn kernels to broth (reserve any remaining corn for another use). Working in batches, puree soup in blender until very smooth. Strain soup through fine sieve set over large bowl, pressing on solids with back of spoon; discard solids. Mix in enough additional chicken broth to thin soup to consistency of heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate soup until cold, about 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
- Ladle soup into 6 bowls. Top each with dollop of crème fraîche. Sprinkle with cucumber and chives and serve.
More about "silky corn soup recipes"
EASY 15 MINUTE SILKY SWEET CORN SOUP RECIPE - DRIVE ME …
Ratings 5Category SoupsCuisine AmericanTotal Time 13 mins
- Reserve 1/3 cup of frozen corn and sautee over high heat until browned. Remove from heat and mix with chopped fresh parsley.
- Meanwhile add the remaining frozen corn, water, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a high speed blender and blend until it's completely smooth and creamy. About 2 - 3 minutes. Transfer to a pot, cover, and heat over medium high heat until it starts to simmer.
SWEET CORN SOUP RECIPE | JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION
10 BEST SIMPLE CORN SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
RECIPE: SILKY SWEET CORN SOUP WITH INDIAN COCONUT …
CHINESE CORN SOUP (鸡蛋玉米羹) - OMNIVORE'S COOKBOOK
SILKY TORTILLA SOUP RECIPE | FOOD & WINE
SILKY, SMOKY SWEETCORN SOUP WITH LOADS OF VEG - FOOD …
SILKY CORN SOUP TOPPED WITH BACON - JUST A LITTLE BIT OF …
SILKY SWEET CORN SOUP | EYESWOON
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND CORN SOUP IN FOUR SIMPLE STEPS
SILKY CORN SOUP AN OKANAGAN JOURNEY - URBAN COTTAGE LIFE
Category SoupEstimated Reading Time 9 mins
SILKY CORN SOUP TOPPED WITH BACON - JUST A LITTLE BIT OF BACON
SILKY CORN AND CHICKEN SOUP NMAMI LIFE
CREAMY FRESH CORN SOUP RECIPE WITH CHIMICHURRI - OUR HAPPY MESS
NICK STELLINO'S CORN SOUP WITH TRUFFLE OIL | SUSAN ALEXANDER
SWEET CORN SOUP WITH BACON AND POTATOES - UGLY DUCKLING BAKERY
THIS SILKY CORN SOUP LOOKS FANCY BUT IS EASY TO MAKE
HOW TO MAKE 3 EASY OF CORN SILKY STRING SOUP | RECIPES INSPIRATION
COLD CORN SOUP FOR SUMMER! - RECIPETIN EATS
SILKY CORN SOUP WITH TRUFFLE OIL AND KING CRAB MEAT - NICK STELLINO
WHAT TO COOK: THREE SOUP RECIPES WITH PASTA, DUMPLINGS AND TOFU
PIN ON SOUPS, STEWS & CHILI RECIPES
SAMIN NOSRAT’S SMOOTH SILKY SWEET CORN SOUP
SILKY CORN SOUP RECIPE - COOKING INDEX
SILKY CORN SOUP - URBAN COTTAGE LIFE
CREAMY CORN SOUP | THE FRAYED APRON
CHINESE CORN AND CHICKEN SOUP | COOK'S ILLUSTRATED
55+ CORN SOUP RECIPES - FROM MICHIGAN TO THE TABLE
CHILLED GOLDEN CORN SOUP - TALKING MEALS
SILKY SWEET CORN SOUP WITH MINCED HERBS - LAURIE RICHARDONE
CORN CHOWDER | SILK® PLANT-BASED RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE YUMMY CORN SILKY STRING SOUP - COOKCODEX
JAPANESE CORN SOUP WITH SILKEN TOFU | FOODACIOUSLY
CORN SOUP WITH TRUFFLE OIL RECIPE | SUSAN ALEXANDER
SILKY TOMATO-BASIL SOUP WITH FRESH CORN RECIPE | COOKING LIGHT
HOW TO MAKE CORN SOUP - SILKY SMOOTH CORN SOUP RECIPE
SILKY SMOOTH ZUCCHINI, PUMPKIN & CORN SOUP RECIPE - RECIPEYUM
6 INGREDIENT LATE SUMMER CORN SOUP WITH FRESH HERBS
CREAMY CORN CHOWDER | AMERICAN STROKE ASSOCIATION
EASIEST WAY TO MAKE RECIPE OF CORN SILKY STRING SOUP | RECIPES …
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook chicken and corn soup?If you want to have a very smooth soup, do not cut the corn too close to the cob and blend the corn for at least 2 minutes. This is the step you need to pay more attention to even though chicken and corn soup is a very forgiving recipe. Add a large ladle of boiling soup to the chicken meat in a large bowl.
How do you cook corn on the cob in soup?Put the corn in to a medium soup pot with the vegetable broth and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. If you like, you can scoop out a cup or so of the corn kernels and save them to stir into the puréed soup.
What do you put in your corn soup?I love corn soup so much. This was a wonderful recipe. I always add chopped up tomato, and whatever meat I feel like; whether ham pieces or chicken. Remember with soup you can add almost anything. My mom likes to put potato in it as well. Veronique S
How to make sweet peak season corn soup?Directions. Add the flour, stirring well, to make a pasty mixture. Whisk in the milk and the broth. Add the corn and the cream cheese and allow to heat through. Add the garlic salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Stir together and serve. Sweet peak-season corn makes a delicious summertime soup.