One of Martha Stewart's favorites, creme brulee's seductive secret lies in the contrast between the brittle caramelized topping and the smooth, creamy custard beneath. French for "burnt cream," creme brulee is best served immediately after caramelizing its sweet, sugary surface.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Prepare oven and baking dishes: Heat oven to 300 degrees. Bring a kettle or pot of water to a boil. Place eight 5-ounce baking dishes in a large roasting pan.
- Gently heat cream: In a medium saucepan, combine cream and half the sugar (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons). Scrape vanilla bean seeds into pan, then add pod. Heat over medium just until mixture starts to bubble around the edge of the pan, 7 to 8 minutes (do not let boil).
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with remaining sugar and the salt.
- Temper eggs: Use ladle to pour a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture, then whisk to combine. (This is called tempering and prevents the eggs from curdling.) Add two more ladles of cream mixture, one at a time, whisking to combine after each addition. Gradually whisk in remaining cream mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a large liquid measuring cup (to remove the vanilla pod and any cooked bits of egg).
- Bake: Divide custard evenly among baking dishes. Place pan in oven. Add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake until custards are just set (they should tremble slightly in center when shaken), 30 to 40 minutes.
- Chill: Remove pan from oven. Use tongs to carefully remove dishes from hot-water bath and place on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Then, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours (or up to 3 days) before serving. The custard will finish setting in the refrigerator. If you like, transfer the custards to the freezer 15 minutes before serving to ensure they stay cold after being bruleed (this is especially important if using the broiler).
- Caramelize tops and serve: Sprinkle about 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar over each custard. Working with one at a time, pass the flame of the torch in a circular motion 1 to 2 inches above the surface of each custard until the sugar bubbles, turns amber, and forms a smooth surface. Serve immediately.
Julia Child believed that every woman should own a blowtorch. If you've lucky enough to have one, it will come in handy for this easy crème brulee recipe. And, if not, the broiler is a great stand-in for a handy-dandy blowtorch.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 13x9-inch pan, place 4 (6-oz) ceramic ramekins. In small bowl, slightly beat egg yolks with wire whisk. In large bowl, stir whipping cream, 1/3 cup granulated sugar and the vanilla until well mixed. Add egg yolks; beat with wire whisk until evenly colored and well blended. Pour cream mixture evenly into ramekins.
- Carefully place pan with ramekins in oven. Pour enough boiling water into pan, being careful not to splash water into ramekins, until water covers two-thirds of the height of the ramekins.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until top is light golden brown and sides are set (centers will be jiggly).
- Using tongs or grasping tops of ramekins with pot holder, carefully transfer ramekins to cooling rack. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours but no longer than 48 hours.
- Uncover ramekins; gently blot any liquid from tops of custards with paper towel. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons granulated sugar over each chilled custard. Holding kitchen torch 3 to 4 inches from custard, caramelize sugar on each custard by heating with torch about 2 minutes, moving flame continuously over sugar in circular motion, until sugar is melted and light golden brown. (To caramelize sugar in the broiler, see Broiler Directions below.) Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 8 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 540, Carbohydrate 30 g, Cholesterol 440 mg, Fat 7, Fiber 0 g, Protein 7 g, SaturatedFat 25 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 55 mg, Sugar 29 g, TransFat 1 g
CLASSIC CREME BRULEE
My favorite dessert is this creme brulee recipe. Recently I was at a party where the guests finished off their own desserts "broiling" the sugar on their portions with a small torch. What a great idea! -Joylyn Trickel, Helendale, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 5
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream, egg yolks and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in vanilla. , Transfer to eight 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place cups in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours., One hour before serving, place custards on a baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 551 calories, Fat 50g fat (29g saturated fat), Cholesterol 402mg cholesterol, Sodium 53mg sodium, Carbohydrate 22g carbohydrate (22g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 6g protein.
PERFECT CREME BRULEE
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Move a rack to the bottom of the oven.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla together in a stainless steel bowl until smooth. Bring the cream just to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-low heat; pour into the egg yolk mixture, whisking continually until combined.
- Bring a couple of inches of water to a simmer in an oven-safe saucepan over medium low heat; set the bowl with the cream mixture over the saucepan to form a double boiler.
- Place the entire double boiler into the preheated oven; bake until the mixture sets, about 30 minutes.
- Chill in refrigerator 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Combine the brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of white sugar in a bowl; sprinkle evenly over the cold creme.
- Heat under the preheated broiler until the sugar melts and browns, 2 to 3 minutes; return immediately to the refrigerator and chill until the sugar is set, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 333.3 calories, Carbohydrate 24.3 g, Cholesterol 235.1 mg, Fat 25.3 g, Protein 3.2 g, SaturatedFat 14.9 g, Sodium 29.6 mg, Sugar 22.3 g
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Beat egg yolks, 4 tablespoons white sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until thick and creamy.
- Pour cream into a saucepan and stir over low heat until it almost comes to boil. Remove the cream from heat immediately. Stir cream into the egg yolk mixture; beat until combined.
- Pour cream mixture into the top pan of a double boiler. Stir over simmering water until mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove mixture from heat immediately and pour into a shallow heat-proof dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a small bowl combine remaining 2 tablespoons white sugar and brown sugar. Sift this mixture evenly over custard. Place dish under broiler until sugar melts, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate until custard is set again.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 561.4 calories, Carbohydrate 24 g, Cholesterol 416.7 mg, Fat 50.1 g, Protein 5.8 g, SaturatedFat 29.3 g, Sodium 55.3 mg, Sugar 20.4 g
SIMPLE CREME BRULEE DESSERT
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk 3 tablespoons sugar and cream in a microwave-safe bowl until well combined; heat the mixture in microwave until warm, 1 to 2 minutes, and whisk again to dissolve sugar. Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour cream mixture into 2 ramekins. Set ramekins into a roasting pan and pour in enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in the preheated oven until creme desserts are set but still slightly jiggly when shaken, about 50 minutes. Remove ramekins from hot water and chill in refrigerator until cold, at least 2 hours.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly over the top of each dessert. Use a kitchen torch to lightly toast and melt the sugar topping until brown and bubbly, about 30 seconds. Let the sugar topping cool before serving. To serve, use a spoon to crack the crisp sugar open to reveal the creamy dessert underneath.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 612 calories, Carbohydrate 35.5 g, Cholesterol 470.3 mg, Fat 50.6 g, Protein 6.4 g, SaturatedFat 29.8 g, Sodium 57.2 mg, Sugar 31.6 g
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the egg, egg yolks, and 1/2 cup of the sugar together on low speed until just combined. Meanwhile, scald the cream in a small saucepan until it's very hot to the touch but not boiled. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the cream to the eggs. Add the vanilla and orange liqueur and pour into 6 to 8-ounce ramekins until almost full.
- Place the ramekins in a baking pan and carefully pour boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the custards are set when gently shaken. Remove the custards from the water bath, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until firm.
- To serve, spread 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly on the top of each ramekin and heat with a kitchen blowtorch until the sugar carmelizes evenly. Allow to sit at room temperature for a minute until the caramelized sugar hardens.
Make Alton Brown's foolproof Creme Brulee recipe, a French classic with vanilla bean and caramelized sugar, from Good Eats on Food Network.
Provided by Alton Brown
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the cream, vanilla bean and its pulp into a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean and reserve for another use.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and the egg yolks until well blended and it just starts to lighten in color. Add the cream a little at a time, stirring continually. Pour the liquid into 6 (7 to 8-ounce) ramekins. Place the ramekins into a large cake pan or roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake just until the creme brulee is set, but still trembling in the center, approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. Remove the creme brulee from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to browning the sugar on top. Divide the remaining 1/2 cup vanilla sugar equally among the 6 dishes and spread evenly on top. Using a torch, melt the sugar and form a crispy top. Allow the creme brulee to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
People also searched
More about "simple creme brulee dessert recipes"
EASY CREME BRULEE RECIPE - AMIRA'S PANTRY
Reviews 4Category DessertCuisine FrenchTotal Time 40 mins
- Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape the seeds with the back of a pairing knife. Add the seeds and the bean itself to the pot.
HOW TO MAKE EASY CREME BRULEE RECIPE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
5/5 (3)Calories 584 per servingCategory Dessert
- In a small pot, heat cream over medium heat until hot but not boiling -- small bubbles will appear just along the edge of the pot.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla -- I like to do this in a large glass measuring cup for easy pouring!
- When the cream is hot, add it to the egg yolk mixture a little at a time, whisking well after each addition.
EASY CREME BRULEE RECIPE | JULIE BLANNER
5/5 (3)Total Time 30 minsCategory DessertCalories 387 per serving
- Pour the mixture into ramekins. Place ramekins in a sheet or cake pan and create a water bath by filling the pan halfway to the top with water.
HOW TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST CREME BRULEE | FOODAL
4.1/5 (30)Estimated Reading Time 8 minsServings 4Published 2017-05-22 See details »
CLASSIC CRèME BRûLéE RECIPE | GET CRACKING
Servings 4Total Time 50 minsCategory Desserts & SweetsCalories 441 per serving See details »
THIS EASY CREME BRULEE IS TAKING OVER THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW
Author Krista GarciaEstimated Reading Time 6 mins See details »
EASY CRèME BRûLéE - STEP BY STEP RECIPE | COOKIES AND CUPS
5/5 (1)Category CustardCuisine DessertTotal Time 453618 hrs 43 mins
- In a medium saucepan heat the heavy cream over medium heat until it just comes to a boil. Remove from the heat, add in the vanilla extract, cover the pot and and allow to cool for 10 minutes. (If using vanilla bean scrape the seeds into the cream and add in the seed pod to infuse more flavor into the cream).
- In a large bowl whisk together 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the egg yolks until pale in color and thoroughly mixed. Whisk in the warm heavy cream into the egg mixture slowly, adding about 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly as to not scramble the eggs.
- Place 8 (6- ounce) ramekins into a large baking pan. Place the ramekins evenly into the baking pan and fill each ramekin equally with the cream mixture, filling about 1/2- inch from the top.
THE BEST & EASIEST CRèME BRûLéE RECIPE - AVERIE COOKS
4.5/5 (23)Total Time 2 hrsCategory Pies & CheesecakeCalories 363 per serving
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place 6 ramekins in a 9×13 pan or large baking pan that will be used for a water bath. Spray ramekins with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Add the cream to a 2-cup glass measuring cup or microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high power until cream begins to bubble just a bit, but don’t let it come to a full boil; it took 3 1/2 minutes in my micro (or heat cream over medium heat on the stove, about 10 minutes). Remove cream from micro; set aside to cool.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and with clean hands, pick out the yolks and put them in a large bowl. I find picking out the yolks very carefully with my fingers is the easiest way to separate whites/yolks, but separate them as you prefer. Use the whites for another recipe or discard.
- To the large bowl with the yolks, add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and whisk vigorously for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture is lighter and paler in color, and has fluffed in volume. Your shoulder should be burning; use an electric mixer if you wish, or burn some calories, save dishes, and whisk by hand; set aside.
EASY EGGLESS CRèME BRûLéE - MOMMY'S HOME COOKING
5/5 (13)Total Time 5 hrs 15 minsCategory DessertCalories 482 per serving
- Turn heat on to medium-low heat. Start stirring constantly, as soon as it begins to simmer, keep stirring, and let the mixture thicken a little, about 2 minutes. Do not let it boil, just simmering gently. Keep a close eye on it because the mixture can burn in a flash. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and butter.
CHOCOLATE CREME BRûLéE - EASY DESSERT RECIPES
Ratings 2Calories 648 per servingCategory Dessert
- In a small saucepan, combine the heavy whipping cream and the remaining sugar, whisking together until it begins to lightly bubble, but not boil. Gradually stir in the chocolate chips and keep whisking on low heat until the chocolate has completely melted. You can scrape the whisk on the bottom of the saucepan to make sure there are not unmelted pieces of chocolate. Once the whisk is clear, remove from heat.
- Allow the chocolate and cream mixture to cool for about 30-60 seconds, and then quickly whisk into the sugar and yolks. (Allowing it to cool for 30 seconds, and whisking quickly, ensures the eggs won’t cook when they are heated.) Stir in the vanilla until the entire mixture is combined.
FRENCH CRèME BRûLéE RECIPE - ABSOLUTE CULINARY HEAVEN IN A ...
4.8/5 (5)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsCategory DessertsCalories 445 per serving
- Whisk the egg yolks together in a bowl with the caster sugar and the vanilla essence until it is light and pale in colour.
- Then heat the cream in a saucepan, stirring on a low heat, until it is just beginning to produce some bubbles at the edge. Do not let it boil, but remove from the heat.
EASY CRèME BRûLéE - LIVE WELL BAKE OFTEN
5/5 (17)Category Dessert
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until well blended and it just starts to lighten in color. Set aside.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream in a medium-sized saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the cream is warm and bubbling around the edges. Remove the cream from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly pour about 1/2 cup of the warm heavy whipping cream into the egg and sugar mixture making sure to whisk well as you're pouring it in. Then, slowly pour in the remaining cream and continue whisking until fully combined. If there's a thin layer of foam on top of the mixture, you can skim this off with a spoon at this point.
EASY CRèME BRûLéE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
4.8/5 (63)Category Dessert
- Whisk the egg yolks and 1/2 cup (100g) of granulated sugar together. Set aside. (At this point or before you temper the egg yolks in the next step, bring a small kettle or pot of water to a boil. You’ll need hot water to pour into the baking sheet for the water bath.)
- Heat the heavy cream, espresso powder, and salt together in a medium saucepan over medium heat. As soon as it begins to simmer, remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract. Remove about 1/2 cup of warm heavy cream and, in a slow and steady stream, whisk into the egg yolks. Keep those egg yolks moving so they don’t scramble. In a slow and steady stream, pour and whisk the egg yolk mixture into the warm heavy cream.
- Place ramekins in a large baking pan. If you don’t have 1 pan large enough, bake them in a couple pans. Divide custard between each ramekin, filling to the top. Carefully fill the pan with about a 1/2 inch of the hot water. The baking pan will be hot so use an oven mitt to carefully transfer the pan to the oven.
EASY CREME BRûLéE - EASY DESSERT RECIPES
Servings 8Total Time 55 minsCategory DessertCalories 504 per serving See details »
CRèME BRûLéE - PREPPY KITCHEN
Ratings 5Calories 558 per servingCategory Dessert See details »
HOW TO MAKE CRèME BRûLéE IN 10 STEPS | CREME BRULEE RECIPE ...
See details »
EASY CHOCOLATE CREME BRULEE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
See details »
CRèME BRûLéE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
See details »
CREME BRULEE CUPCAKES - GOODIE GODMOTHER
See details »
CREME BRULEE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
You'll also love