SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE
A cool, creamy version of the original, this delicious dessert is the perfect finish to a satisfying summer meal. Its crumbly topping and smooth apple filling are crowd-pleasers! Be prepared to serve seconds. -Sharon Bickett, Chester, South Carolina
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes., In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add sour cream. Stir in sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, vanilla and salt; mix well. Gently stir in apples. Pour into crust. Bake 15 minutes. , Meanwhile, combine brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pie. Bake until filling is set, 20-25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 402 calories, Fat 19g fat (10g saturated fat), Cholesterol 70mg cholesterol, Sodium 238mg sodium, Carbohydrate 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 4g protein.
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE
- Make the crust: Pulse the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the shortening and pulse until the mixture looks like cornmeal. Add the butter and pulse until it is in pea-size pieces. Add the vinegar and 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water; pulse until the dough just starts forming a ball. Divide between two pieces of plastic wrap. Shape each into a disk and wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Make the filling: Peel the apples and slice 1/4 inch thick; toss with 2/3 cup sugar, the lemon juice and salt in a large bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the apples; cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour. Cook, stirring, until the juices thicken, about 1 minute. Transfer to a separate large bowl. Repeat with the remaining butter, apples and flour; add to the bowl with the cooked apples. Gently fold in the sour cream and vanilla paste. Let cool completely.
- Roll out 1 disk of dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Ease into a 9 1/2 -inch deep-dish pie plate. Add the filling, slightly mounding it in the center. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Put a baking sheet on the lowest oven rack and preheat to 425 degrees F for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, roll out the remaining disk of dough into a 12-inch round on a floured surface. Lay the dough over the filling and press the crusts together around the edge; fold the overhanging dough under itself. Crimp with your fingers or a fork. Refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the apple pie spice. Brush the top crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the spiced sugar. Make a few slits in the crust with a knife to let steam escape. Transfer the pie to the hot baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling, rotating the pie as needed, 1 hour 15 minutes. (Tent with foil if the crust browns too quickly.) Transfer to a rack and let cool completely.
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE DELUXE
This is a delicious recipe combining apples, sour cream, sugar and a few others--to make a scrumptious dessert. I highly recommend that you use a high quality sour cream-it really does make the difference.
Provided by phebesue75
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Press the pie crust into and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and salt. Mix in the sour cream, egg and vanilla until smooth. Add apples, and stir to coat. Scrape the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 30 minutes more.
- While the pie is baking, prepare the topping in a medium bowl. Stir together 1/3 cup of flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- After the 30 minute bake time has passed, cover the top of the pie with the crumb topping, and continue to bake for 15 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned and apples are tender. Allow the pie to cool, then refrigerate until chilled before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 381.7 calories, Carbohydrate 48.1 g, Cholesterol 51.2 mg, Fat 20 g, Fiber 1.8 g, Protein 4 g, SaturatedFat 9.5 g, Sodium 218.5 mg, Sugar 30.1 g
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE
- Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F with a rack in the middle and another rack below it. Place a large rimmed baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any of the drippings from the pie.
- Toss the apples with lemon juice or vinegar: As you slice the apples, put them in a bowl and toss them with a little lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. The acidity of the lemon juice or vinegar will help keep the apples from discoloring while you work and will intensify the apple flavor in the pie.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 482 kcal, Carbohydrate 64 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Fiber 3 g, Protein 5 g, SaturatedFat 10 g, Sodium 314 mg, Sugar 34 g, Fat 23 g, ServingSize Serves 8, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
AMISH SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Beat sour cream and egg together in a mixing bowl. Add white sugar, flour, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix until smooth. Stir in apples. Transfer to the pie crust.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon for topping in a bowl. Set aside.
- Bake pie in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and spread with crumb topping. Return to the oven and continue to bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 408.5 calories, Carbohydrate 54.9 g, Cholesterol 51.2 mg, Fat 20 g, Fiber 2.1 g, Protein 4 g, SaturatedFat 9.5 g, Sodium 258.9 mg, Sugar 36.4 g
APPLE-SOUR CREAM CRUMB PIE
After a brief time in a 450-degree oven, this pie bakes at 350 degrees. You'll want to use an oven thermometer to monitor the temperature. Because of the dense filling, a long cooling time is essential before slicing and serving.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Make the pie dough: Combine flour, salt, and granulated sugar in a food processor, and pulse to blend. Add butter, pulsing until pea-size clumps form. With machine running, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture just comes together. Shape dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes.
- Roll out dough into a 15-inch round (1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 10-inch pie plate. Trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, and fold under, pressing onto rim of pie plate. Use your fingers to create a scalloped edge if desired. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Make the crumb topping: Whisk together sugars, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter, and combine with a fork or pastry cutter. Stir in walnuts, and press filling into large clumps with your hands; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with 2 racks in lower third.
- Make the filling: Whisk together granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Add apples, tossing to coat. Place apple mixture in crust.
- Place an empty rimmed baking sheet on lowest oven rack to catch any drips, then bake pie 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake until apples are golden brown in places, juices are bubbling, and crust is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove topping from refrigerator, and crumble over hot filling. Bake until topping is browned and set, apples are tender, and bottom crust is thoroughly baked, about 50 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack, 3 to 4 hours.
DUTCH APPLE SOUR CREAM PIE
This delicious pie is a favorite of family and friends who come to call. It also goes well with my apple-themed kitchen. -Laura Thompson, Morristown, Tennessee
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6-8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, sugar, flour and vanilla. Stir in apples. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes., Meanwhile, combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over pie. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until filling is set and topping is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 481 calories, Fat 21g fat (12g saturated fat), Cholesterol 77mg cholesterol, Sodium 194mg sodium, Carbohydrate 67g carbohydrate (45g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round (1/8 inch thick), then fit into a 9-inch metal pie plate. Trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, then fold overhang under and crimp edge decoratively. Chill shell 30 minutes.
- While shell chills, put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together eggs, sour cream, vanilla, 1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl until smooth. Peel and core apples, then cut into wedges slightly less than 1/4 inch thick. Arrange apples in pie shell, then pour sour cream mixture evenly over them, coating all apples.
- Bake pie 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake until filling is puffed and golden and apples are tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
- While pie bakes, stir together remaining 1/3 cup sugar, remaining 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a bowl, then blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture forms small clumps.
- Remove pie from oven and increase oven temperature to 400°F. Crumble topping evenly over top and bake until sugar is melted, about 10 minutes. Cool pie on a rack at least 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
PRIZEWINNING APPLE PIE WITH SOUR CREAM CRUST
- For The Crust:.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour with salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and lard until in fine crumbs with a few larger pieces.
- In a liquid measure, whisk water with sour cream, drizzle over flour mixture, tossing briskly with a fork and adding a little more water, if necessary, until ragged dough forms.
- Divide in half; press into 2 discs. Wrap and refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes.(Make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze in airtight container for up to 1 month) . Makes enough for 1 double crust pie.
- For the Filling:
- Peel and core apples; cut into 1/4 inch slices to make 8-cups. Place in a large bowl. In a small bowl toss together sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to apples and toss until coated.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to generous 1/8 inch thickness; fit into pie plate. Trim to rim of pie plate. Scrape in filling; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry. Whisk egg yolk with 1 tablespoons water; brush some of this egg wash over pastry on rim .
- Fit pastry over filling; trim to leave 3/4 inch overhang. Fold upper layer of pastry under pastry on rim; flute to seal. Brush some of the remaining egg wash lightly over pastry. Cut steam vents in top; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in bottom third of 450F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F ; bake until bottom is deep golden, apples are tender and filling is bubbly and thickened, about 65 minutes. Let cool on rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 565.7, Fat 29.3, SaturatedFat 15, Cholesterol 75.9, Sodium 127.4, Carbohydrate 73.1, Fiber 4.5, Sugar 36.4, Protein 5
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE WITH CRUMB TOPPING
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Beat together sour cream, sugar, flour, salt, vanilla and egg. Add apples, mixing carefully to coat well.
- Pour filling into a pie shell and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minute.
- While pie is cooking mix together all ingredients for crumb topping until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove pie from oven and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let cool for a hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 404, Fat 20, SaturatedFat 9.5, Cholesterol 54.3, Sodium 260.5, Carbohydrate 53.7, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 35, Protein 4
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE
- Roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured surface, fit it into a 10-inch (6-cup capacity) pie plate, and flute the edge decoratively. Chill the shell while making the topping and the filling.
- Make the topping:
- In a small bowl blend together the butter, the sugar, the cinnamon, and the flour until the mixture is combined well and chill the topping, covered, while making the filling.
- Make the filling:
- In a large bowl whisk together the sour cream, the sugar, the salt, the vanilla, the eggs, and the flour until the mixture is smooth, add the apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin, and stir the filling until it is combined well.
- Spoon the filling into the chilled shell, smoothing the top, and crumble the topping evenly over it. Bake the pie in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until it is golden and the apples are tender, transfer it to a rack, and let it cool completely. Serve the pie with the ginger whipped cream.
More about "sour cream apple pie recipes"
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - HOUSE OF NASH EATS
5/5 (7)Total Time 4 hrs 35 minsCategory DessertCalories 554 per serving
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - DELICIOUSLY MARTA
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - WORDS OF DELICIOUSNESS
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - BUNNY'S WARM OVEN
SPICED APPLE SOUR CREAM PIE - SIMPLY SO GOOD
SOUR CREAM APPLE WALNUT PIE | CRAFTYBAKING | FORMERLY BAKING911
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE BARS - BUTTER WITH A SIDE OF BREAD
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - COMPLETELY DELICIOUS
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE | CARRIE'S EXPERIMENTAL KITCHEN
GREAT GRANDMA'S SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE RECIPE - FOOD DAY CANADA
SOUR CREAM LEMON PIE RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
APPLE SOUR CREAM CRUMBLE PIE | CANADIAN LIVING
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE RECIPE | FREEFOODTIPS.COM
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - THE SOUTHERN LADY COOKS
SILVER PALATE SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - BIGOVEN.COM
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE WITH STREUSEL TOPPING RECIPE
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE | CANADIAN GOODNESS - DAIRY FARMERS OF …
SOUR-CREAM APPLE PIE - SMELLS LIKE HOME
AMAZING CRUMB-TOPPED SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - OUR BEST BITES
SOUR CREAM-APPLE PIE RECIPE - PILLSBURY.COM
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE RECIPE - RECIPES.NET
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - RECIPES | GO BOLD WITH BUTTER
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - READER'S DIGEST CANADA
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - GONNA WANT SECONDS
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - TASTE AND TELL
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE | TASTY KITCHEN: A HAPPY RECIPE COMMUNITY!
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE RECIPE | LEITE'S CULINARIA
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
RECIPE FOR SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE | ALMANAC.COM
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE — NICK MALGIERI
SOUR CREAM APPLE CAKE UK - JANINE JORGENSEN
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE - FOOD RECIPES
RECIPES, DINNERS AND EASY MEAL IDEAS | FOOD NETWORK
SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE RECIPE – THE DENVER POST
THE BEST APPLE PIE RECIPE - SUGAR SPUN RUN
MINI SOUR CREAM APPLE PIES - COMPLETELY DELICIOUS
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #low-protein #pies-and-tarts #desserts #fruit #american #canadian #oven #easy #dinner-party #fall #spring #summer #winter #pies #dietary #seasonal #comfort-food #pacific-northwest #low-in-something #apples #taste-mood #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love