SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE WITH GREEN CHILES
This updated twist on the classic Southern-style favorite has the kick of fresh green chiles! Southwestern-inspired Summer Squash Casserole can be made ahead of time, leftovers reheat beautifully and it's freezer-friendly!
Provided by By: Carol | From A Chef's Kitchen
Categories Side Dishes - Vegetables
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8-inch or 7 x 11-inch baking dish (approximately 2-quart) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan.
- Add the yellow squash and cook 4-5 minutes or until the squash begins to soften.
- Add the chiles and cook another 3-4 minutes. Stir in scallions and garlic and cook briefly just to wilt the scallions. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Blend mayonnaise, cream cheese and eggs together with a whisk until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Pour half the mayonnaise mixture over the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Transfer squash mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture over the squash and gently move the squash around so it gets evenly distributed.
- Top with remaining Parmesan cheese followed by crushed crackers. Lightly spray crackers with cooking spray.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbling and cracker topping is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1, Calories 431 kcal, Carbohydrate 11 g, Protein 10 g, Fat 39 g, SaturatedFat 12 g, Cholesterol 112 mg, Sodium 522 mg, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 6 g, TransFat 1 g, UnsaturatedFat 26 g
SOUTHWEST SQUASH CASSEROLE
Easy to prepare, this recipe is flavorful yet can pack a 'punch' if you choose. Squash tend to be mild but by adding diced green chiles (and jalapenos if you want spicier) it's a surprisingly tasty recipe. It pleases a lot of people and has become a favorite at family gatherings.
Provided by KARENVG
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Lightly grease a large casserole dish. Arrange the squash, onions, and red bell pepper in the dish. Place in the microwave, and cook on High 10 minutes, stirring once, until tender.
- Gently mix the mushrooms, green chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, cheese, and sour cream into the dish. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips. Cover dish, and cook in the microwave 10 minutes on Medium-high power, or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 228.1 calories, Carbohydrate 13.1 g, Cholesterol 37.6 mg, Fat 15.6 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 11.7 g, SaturatedFat 9.3 g, Sodium 346.6 mg, Sugar 6 g
SOUTHWESTERN SQUASH CASSEROLE
This is a great accompaniment for a Mexican feast. A spicy, different way to prepare fresh summer squash.
Provided by KathyP53
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Place first 3 ingredients in a large microwave-safe glass bowl, and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Pierce plastic wrap with a fork several times to vent.
- Microwave on HIGH 8-9 minutes or until veggies are tender; drain.
- Press between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Stir together cooked veggies, cheddar cheese soup, and next 5 ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 11 x 7" baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 175.8, Fat 10.9, SaturatedFat 6.5, Cholesterol 63.7, Sodium 507.5, Carbohydrate 11.3, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 4.1, Protein 9.8
SOUTHWESTERN SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
A Southwestern turn on the basic baked squash casserole. Our pattypan squash came in like great guns this season, and I have deemed it the "Forrest Gump" of the squash community, due to its versatility--steamed, broiled, grilled, sauteed, stir-fried, baked, eaten raw ... well, you get the idea.
Provided by Kathie Johnson-Giuliani
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Add corn, cover, and return to a boil. Cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain, remove kernels with a sharp knife, and discard cob.
- While corn is cooking, remove stems from squash, cut into chunks, and remove and discard seeds.
- Place corn, squash, mixed vegetables, onion, and jalapeno pepper into a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag. Add olive oil and seasoning blend, close the bag, and toss until vegetables are well coated.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chorizo in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, arrange a single layer of chips in the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Crush remaining chips until you have 3 1/2 cups; set aside.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese, mayonnaise, evaporated milk, eggs, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Stir in vegetables and toss well. Add 2 cups crushed chips and toss again until well mixed. Stir in cooked chorizo until blended, and pour into the pan on top of the chips.
- Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups of chips with remaining 1 cup Mexican cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle across top of casserole. Cover with aluminum foil and place pan on a rimmed baking sheet to catch drippings.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is browning and bubbling, about 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 473.9 calories, Carbohydrate 36.2 g, Cholesterol 71.8 mg, Fat 31.5 g, Fiber 3.5 g, Protein 14.8 g, SaturatedFat 8.1 g, Sodium 561.4 mg, Sugar 2.2 g
SOUTHWEST SPAGHETTI SQUASH
I found this recipe in a Low-Carb cookbook. The sweetness of the squash mixes well with the spice of the other ingredients. Low-carb and vegetarian!
Provided by Cyn2938
Categories Black Beans
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Remove and discard seeds.
- Place squash, cut side down, in greased baking pan.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until just tender.
- Using fork, remove spaghetti-like strands from hot squash and place strands in large bowl.
- Add tomatoes with juice, beans, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro, cumin, garlic salt and pepper; toss well.
- Spray 1 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon mixture into casserole.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 215.2, Fat 7.4, SaturatedFat 4.2, Cholesterol 18.9, Sodium 526.6, Carbohydrate 26.5, Fiber 6.4, Sugar 0.1, Protein 12.9
I've been making this mild family-pleasing southwest casserole recipe for years. It tastes wonderful, fits nicely into our budget and, best of all, makes a second one to freeze and enjoy later. -Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in next 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain macaroni; stir into beef mixture., Preheat oven to 375°. Transfer macaroni mixture to 2 greased 2-qt. baking dishes. Top with cheese and jalapenos. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until bubbly and heated through, about 10 minutes longer. Serve 1 casserole. Cool the second; cover and freeze up to 3 months., To use frozen casserole: Thaw in refrigerator 8 hours. Preheat oven to 375°. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 321 calories, Fat 15g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 64mg cholesterol, Sodium 673mg sodium, Carbohydrate 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 24g protein.
More about "southwestern squash casserole recipes"
SOUTHWESTERN SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
3/5 (1)Total Time 45 minsServings 6-8
- Place first 3 ingredients in a large microwave-safe glass bowl, and cover tightly with plastic wrap; pierce plastic wrap with a fork several times to vent. Microwave at HIGH 8 to 9 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain. Press between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Stir together cooked vegetables, Cheddar cheese soup, and next 5 ingredients until well blended; spoon into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
SOUTHWEST SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE | ELIJAH'S XTREME
SOUTHWEST SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE | RECIPE | SQUASH CASSEROLE ...
SOUTHWEST SUMMER SQUASH AND CORN RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
SOUTHWEST SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE
SOUTHWEST SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE | THE EXCHANGE BOOK
SOUTHWESTERN SQUASH CASSEROLE & 4 MORE CASSEROLE …
SOUTHWESTERN SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE - FOOD.COM | RECIPE
SOUTHWESTERN SQUASH CASSEROLE - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
50 BEST SPAGHETTI SQUASH RECIPES WE CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT
SOUTHWEST SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE - RECIPE RUNNER
45 SOUTHWEST CASSEROLES TO KICK MEALTIME UP A NOTCH
SOUTHERN SQUASH CASSEROLE - THE SEASONED MOM
SOUTHWESTERN STUFFED SPAGHETTI SQUASH - THE COMFORT OF COOKING
OLD FASHIONED SOUTHERN SQUASH CASSEROLE > CALL ME PMC
CHEESY SOUTHWESTERN SQUASH CASSEROLE | 12 TOMATOES
SOUTHWESTERN SQUASH CASSEROLE - PLAIN CHICKEN
CHEESY SOUTHERN SQUASH CASSEROLE - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
SOUTHWEST SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE
SOUTHWEST SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE | ANDREA DEKKER
SQUASH CASSEROLE – SOUTHWESTERN PRODUCE
SOUTHERN SQUASH CASSEROLE WITH CRACKER CRUMB TOPPING
SOUTHERN SQUASH CASSEROLE - SOUTHWEST DAIRY FARMERS
HOW TO MAKE: SOUTHWESTERN SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE - YOUTUBE
SPICY SOUTHWEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH CASSEROLE - JAR OF LEMONS
OLD-SCHOOL SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
SOUTHWESTERN SUMMER SQUASH CORN AND POBLANO CASSEROLE
SOUTHWEST SQUASH CASSEROLE - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
SOUTHWESTERN VEGETARIAN CASSEROLE RECIPE
SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN, SQUASH, AND CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPES FOR SUMMER | SOUTHERN LIVING
SOUTHWESTERN SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE - A COOKBOOK …
SPICY SOUTHWEST SQUASH CASSEROLE | RECIPE | RECIPES, SQUASH …
WORLD BEST JALAPENO FOOD RECIPES: SOUTHWEST SQUASH CASSEROLE
SOUTHWEST SQUASH CASSEROLE - SUMMER SQUASH
RECIPE FOR SOUTHWESTERN CASSEROLE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
SOUTHERN SQUASH CASSEROLE | I HEART RECIPES
SOUTHWESTERN CASSEROLE RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
SPICY SOUTHWEST SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #casseroles #side-dishes #vegetables #american #southwestern-united-states #oven #easy #beginner-cook #dinner-party #holiday-event #squash #brunch #equipment
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook southwestern summer squash casserole?Southwestern Summer Squash Casserole is an updated twist on a classic Southern-style favorite with the kick of fresh green chiles! Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan.
What do you put in a squash casserole?Lightly grease a large casserole dish. Arrange the squash, onions, and red bell pepper in the dish. Gently mix the mushrooms, green chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, cheese, and sour cream into the dish. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips.
How to cook squash and squash in the microwave?Arrange the squash, onions, and red bell pepper in the dish. Place in the microwave, and cook on High 10 minutes, stirring once, until tender. Gently mix the mushrooms, green chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, cheese, and sour cream into the dish.
What is the best way to cook yellow squash?Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Add the yellow squash and cook 4-5 minutes or until squash begins to soften. Add the chiles and scallions and cook another 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic.