BEAUTIFUL VEGGIE MOUSSAKA
I've taken the traditional Greek recipe, usually made with lamb, and transformed it into a veggie delight for the lovely Amanda Holden - this dish is one of her favourite foodie memories from her childhood and it's pretty damn good!
Provided by Jamie Oliver
Categories Mains Vegetables Dinner Party Mother's day Sunday lunch Greek Potato
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Just cover the porcini with boiling water, then set aside to rehydrate.
- Peel and finely slice the onions and garlic, then place in a large pan over a medium-low heat with 1 tablespoon of oil. Strip in the rosemary and sage leaves and add 1 teaspoon of dried oregano.
- Roughly chop the porcini (reserving the soaking liquor) and add to the pan, then fry for 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat up to high, then add the wine and let it bubble and cook away.
- Stir in the chickpeas (juice and all), lentils and 2 bay leaves. Scrunch in the tomatoes through your clean hands, then pour in the porcini soaking liquor (discarding just the last gritty bit).
- Season with sea salt and black pepper, bring to the boil, then simmer on a low heat for 1 hour, or until thickened and reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Trim the aubergines and peel with a speed-peeler, leaving a little of the skin to create a stripy effect, then slice into 1cm-thick rounds. Place in a colander, sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and leave in the sink to drain (the salt will draw out the moisture).
- Peel the potatoes and slice into rough 1cm rounds, then parboil in a pan of boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and leave to steam dry, then place in a large, deep roasting tray (30cm x 40cm).
- Season, drizzle with oil and scatter over 1 heaped tablespoon of dried oregano. Toss well to coat, then roast in a single layer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, rinse the aubergines and pat dry with kitchen paper, then spread out across a few large roasting trays.
- Drizzle with oil, season with pepper and oregano, then roast alongside the potatoes for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Warm the milk with the remaining 2 bay leaves and the peppercorns in a pan on a medium-low heat - keep an eye on it. Before it boils, strain into a jug, then wipe out the pan and return to a medium heat.
- Melt the butter, then stir in the flour to form a paste. Start adding the hot milk, a splash at a time, stirring in each addition before adding more, until you have a smooth, creamy sauce.
- Crumble in one-third of the feta and grate in one-third of the kefalotyri, then simmer over a low heat for a further 5 minutes, or until thick and smooth. Leave to cool slightly.
- To assemble, spoon half the ragù over the tray of potatoes, then layer half the aubergines on top. Repeat with the remaining ragù and aubergines.
- Separate the eggs (saving the whites for another recipe). Whisk the yolks into the sauce, then pour over the aubergines. Crumble and grate over the remaining cheese, drizzle with oil, and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden.
- Leave to stand for 30 minutes, then serve. Great with a Greek salad.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 311 calories, Fat 12.6 g fat, SaturatedFat 6 g saturated fat, Protein 12.6 g protein, Carbohydrate 35.4 g carbohydrate, Sugar 8.8 g sugar, Sodium 1 g salt, Fiber 5.8 g fibre
I had never really cooked hotdish, but my restaurant entered this moussaka in a local hotdish festival, so I think it qualifies! It's based on a Turkish version of the dish, with French lentils in place of ground meat.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Preheat the oven to 400˚ F. Char the eggplants over a gas burner, turning with tongs, 4 to 6 minutes. Let cool, then slice 1/2 inch thick.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on two baking sheets. Brush with olive oil on both sides and season with salt. Roast until golden and cooked through, 20 to 22 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine 6 cups water and the lentils in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook until the lentils are tender but not mushy, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Fill a large wide pot with 1 inch of vegetable oil. Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350˚ F or a piece of bread dropped in turns golden quickly. Working in batches, fry the potato slices a few at a time until golden but not too brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the potatoes to a rack to drain and season with salt.
- Make the lentil-tomato sauce: Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large wide pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened and starting to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add the cooled lentils and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, tomato paste, 1/2 cup water, the oregano, 2 teaspoons salt and 3 grinds of pepper and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Make the béchamel: Combine the cinnamon stick, milk and heavy cream in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the nutmeg and set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt the remaining 1 stick butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking, 3 to 5 minutes (do not let it brown). Slowly whisk in the heavy cream mixture, bring to a simmer and cook until thick and bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes; remove from the heat. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then temper them by whisking in 1 cup of the béchamel; whisk the tempered egg mixture into the remaining béchamel. Season with salt and pepper and add the feta.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Oil an extra-large baking dish or roasting pan. Layer half of the eggplant in the bottom of the pan, then pour half of the lentil-tomato sauce on top, spreading it in an even layer. Top with a layer of half of the potatoes and then spread with half of the béchamel. Repeat the layers (eggplant, lentil-tomato sauce, potatoes, béchamel).
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. (If the top browns too quickly, cover with foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.) Let cool, then cut into pieces.
This recipe always gets rave reviews from vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Easy to make, but takes time. Serve with salad.
Provided by Anne Buchanan
Categories World Cuisine Recipes European Greek
Number Of Ingredients 20
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and set aside for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Rinse and pat eggplant dry. Cook eggplant and zucchini in hot oil until lightly browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side; remove with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel-lined plate, reserving as much oil as possible in the skillet
- Adding more oil to skillet as needed and let it get hot. Cook potato slices in hot oil until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side; remove with slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate, again reserving oil in the skillet.
- Saute onion and garlic in reserved oil until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour in vinegar, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low; cook until liquid is reduced in volume and thick. Stir in tomatoes, lentils, 1/2 the juice from lentils, oregano and parsley. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Layer about 1/3 of the eggplant, 1/3 of the zucchini, 1/2 the potatoes, 1/2 the onions, and 1/2 the feta into a 13x9-inch baking dish. Pour tomato mixture over vegetables; repeat layering, finishing with a layer of eggplant and zucchini.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Stir butter, flour, and milk together in a small saucepan; bring to a slow boil, whisking constantly until thick and smooth. Season with pepper and nutmeg; stir. Remove from heat, cool for 5 minutes, and stir in beaten egg.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for another 25 to 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 239.8 calories, Carbohydrate 25.5 g, Cholesterol 58.2 mg, Fat 11.8 g, Fiber 4.8 g, Protein 10.2 g, SaturatedFat 6.4 g, Sodium 425.7 mg, Sugar 9.3 g
Omit the lamb and serve up a vegetarian version of this classic Greek bake with creamy cheese topping
Provided by Sara Buenfeld
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the lentils, onions, garlic, herbs and spices in a large pan, and pour in 850ml water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Tip in the tomatoes, stock cube, sweet potato and aubergine, then cover and simmer for a further 20-25 mins until the lentils and veg are tender, and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove the bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, beat the fromage frais, egg and cheese together. Tip the lentil mixture into a large ovenproof dish, cover with the cheese mixture, then arrange the tomatoes on top. Grind over some black pepper and bake for 25 mins until the topping is set. Will keep for 3 days in the fridge.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 213 calories, Fat 4 grams fat, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 30 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 13 grams sugar, Fiber 9 grams fiber, Protein 15 grams protein, Sodium 1 milligram of sodium
Categories Milk/Cream Mushroom Tomato Vegetable Eggplant Fall Bon Appétit
Yield Makes 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Cover 2 baking sheets with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides of eggplant rounds with salt. Arrange eggplant in single layer atop towels. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Position first rack in bottom third of oven and second rack in top third of oven and preheat to 425°F. Remove eggplant and paper towels from baking sheets. Pat eggplant dry. Oil same baking sheets. Brush both sides of eggplant rounds with 1/4 cup oil. Arrange in single layer on baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Turn eggplant and rotate pans in oven. Continue baking until tender, about 15 minutes longer. Cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery. Sauté until onion is very tender, about 12 minutes. Mix in garlic, then mushrooms. Sauté until juices evaporate, about 10 minutes. Mix in oregano and cinnamon. Add tomatoes and parsley. Cook until mixture is thick, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Arrange half of eggplant rounds in single layer in dish. Spoon half of tomato mixture evenly over eggplant. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Repeat layering with remaining eggplant, tomato mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk yolks in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot sauce. Pour sauce over vegetables in dish. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over sauce. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)
- Bake moussaka until heated through and sauce is golden brown on top, about 45 minutes (or about 55 minutes for refrigerated moussaka). Cool 15 minutes.
More about "vegetarian moussaka recipes"
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Cuisine GreekCategory Main CourseServings 4-6
BEST VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE - THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
4.8/5 (48)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory VegetarianCalories 209 per serving
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA - EASY MEALS WITH VIDEO RECIPES BY ...
MY VEGGIE MOUSSAKA | JAMIE OLIVER VEGETARIAN RECIPES
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA | GREEK RECIPES | GOODTOKNOW
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA (CLASSIC GREEK CASSEROLE) - EATING ...
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
THE-MOST-SCRUMPTIOUS VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA - REAL GREEK RECIPES
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA - TAMING TWINS
QUICK AND EASY VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE - LARDER LOVE
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE - SIMPLYRECIPES.COM
BEST VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE VEGETARIAN ...
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA - THE VEGGIE TABLE
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA | BLUE JEAN CHEF - MEREDITH LAURENCE
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA - MERECIPES.COM MERECIPES.COM
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA - EASY CHEESY VEGETARIAN
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE - OLIVEMAGAZINE
ROASTED VEGETABLE MOUSSAKA - MEDITERRANEAN VEGETARIAN RECIPE
MEATLESS GREEK RECIPES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
VEGETARIAN MOUSSAKA RECIPE WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE - MY GREEK DISH
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #casseroles #main-dish #beans #eggs-dairy #vegetables #greek #oven #european #vegetarian #dietary #low-sodium #low-cholesterol #low-calorie #low-carb #lentils #healthy-2 #low-in-something #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love