- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and 1 cup of sugar on medium-low speed, just until they are combined. (Don¿t whip!) Add the vanilla and 2 teaspoons water and mix until combined. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until the dough starts to come together. Add the ginger, then dump onto a surface generously dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough 3/8 inch thick and cut circles with a 2 3/4-inch plain round cookie cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges start to brown.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.
Irish butter has a high butterfat content, making it especially flavorful. It's expensive to use for everyday baking but worth the splurge for this shortbread, where the ingredient shines.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 8 wedges
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Prepare an ice-water bath with a medium metal bowl set inside. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until deep golden brown, about 8 minutes. Immediately pour butter into bowl in ice-water bath and whisk in milk. Stir mixture constantly with a rubber spatula, scraping the sides of the bowl, until mixture begins to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from ice-water bath and let stand until mixture thickens to the consistency of room-temperature butter, about 30 minutes.
- Beat butter mixture with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla, and continue to beat for 2 minutes more. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour.
- Butter a 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough evenly into bottom of pan using plastic wrap. (Make sure dough is flat; a small offset spatula may help.) Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cut through dough to make 8 wedges using a sharp paring knife and a ruler. Cut a round from the center using a 2 1/4-inch ovenproof cookie cutter; discard dough. Return cutter to hole. Prick wedges all over with a wooden skewer. Refrigerate, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle sanding sugar evenly over shortbread. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until golden brown, 55 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes. Let cool in pan set on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove shortbread from pan, and cut along lines into wedges. Let cool completely on rack.
BROWN BUTTER SHORTBREAD
How to make perfect Scottish Shortbread, only 4 ingredients this is one of the easiest dessert recipes around. Easy to double or triple so a perfect dessert for a crowd. Brown Butter Shortbread is perfect for a party or cuddled up with tea!
Provided by Elizabeth Waterson I Confessions of a Baking Queen
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and get a 9"X13" pan out- no need to grease it.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a regular medium-sized bowl add the flour, butter, sugar, and salt. Mix on low/medium speed until the butter is mixed in and pea-size pieces of butter are left OR mix by using your hands to rub the butter into the dry ingredients. If you grab a handful of the dough you should be able to squeeze it in your hand into one piece.
- Transfer the dough to the pan and press down evenly. Use a rolling pin or glass to roll the shortbread dough to ensure it's tightly in the pan. Using a butter knife score the shortbread, basically marking the shortbread - you are not cutting all the way through, into whichever size pieces you want. Scoring up, down, and across. Prick all over with a fork. If your fork sticks and pulls some of the shortbread up then gently use your clean finger next to the fork as you press down to kind of hold the shortbread in place.
- Bake for approximately 18-25 minutes, or until golden brown on edges. Once baked cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Sprinkle sugar on top and shake pan side to side to distribute evenly. Cut on the previously scored marks and store them in an airtight container. Last for up to a week.
GINGER SHORTBREAD CUTOUTS
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Whisk the flour, ginger and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the butter, brown sugar and molasses in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually beat in the flour mixture until incorporated.
- Roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut out cookies with 3-inch cookie cutters; arrange 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Gather the scraps and reroll to cut out more cookies. Bake, switching the pans halfway through, until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges, 14 to 16 minutes. Let cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Whisk the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and thick. Transfer the icing to a small resealable bag. Snip a small corner and decorate the cookies. Let set 15 minutes.
BROWNED BUTTER GINGER SHORTBREAD
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat and do not take your eyes off it. Watch it carefully as it begins to separate and brown and smell richly nutty. Immediately remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cream the cooled butter and make sure to include all the rich goodness from the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add the icing sugar and slowly cream together.
- Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Add the ginger and mix just until evenly distributed in dough.
- Turn the dough out onto an 18" x 12" sheet of parchment paper. Form into an 18" long and 1 1/2" diameter round or rectangular log. Wrap in the parchment paper and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Working fairly quickly, remove from parchment paper and with a sharp knife slice into 1/4" disks or rectangles and place 1/2" apart on parchment papered baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 min at 375°F (190°C) until bottoms are just turning golden.
- Cool on rack and keep in airtight container or freeze and serve as needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 96.3, Fat 6.2, SaturatedFat 3.9, Cholesterol 16.3, Sodium 54.2, Carbohydrate 9.4, Fiber 0.2, Sugar 3, Protein 0.9
Creaming butter correctly, keeping butter doughs cold, and starting with fresh, good-tasting butter are vital details that professionals take for granted, and home bakers often miss. For mixing and creaming, butter should be about 65 degrees: cold to the touch but warm enough to spread. Just three degrees warmer, at 68 degrees, it begins to melt.
Provided by Julia Moskin
Yield About 4 dozen cookies.
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add flour, salt, currants and ginger, and mix until well blended, about 3 minutes. Gather dough into a ball and flatten slightly.
- Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper (or use nonstick baking mat). Place dough on paper or mat and roll out into a 10-inch square, an even 1/4-inch thick. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Position an oven rack in center of oven. Heat to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 10 1-inch-wide strips (if using mat, remove dough to a cutting surface first). Cut each strip into 1 1/2-inch-long rectangles. Gather and roll out scraps and cut out more cookies. (Triangles or cookie cutter shapes can be made as an alternative to rectangles.)
- One sheet at a time, bake until edges are lightly golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack and cool completely before storing in airtight containers up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 35, UnsaturatedFat 1 gram, Carbohydrate 4 grams, Fat 2 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 0 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 7 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams, TransFat 0 grams
- Butter an 8 1/2-inch cake or springform pan; set aside. Sift together flour and salt into a small bowl; set aside. Place butter in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Cream until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sugar, and continue to beat until very light in color and fluffy, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, about 2 minutes more. Add vanilla, if using. Add flour mixture, and combine on low speed, scraping with spatula if necessary, until flour is just incorporated and dough sticks together when squeezed with fingers.
- Pat dough into prepared pan. If rolling out dough to cut into shapes, form into a flat disk; wrap in plastic. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Sift 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, a pinch of ground cloves, and a pinch of pepper with flour and salt. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out gingerbread men using a 3-inch cutter; sprinkle with crystal sugar; chill.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake until firm, about 30 minutes.
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD
Browning the butter gives this shortbread a toastiness which sets it apart from other shortbread recipes. I usually double this recipe. The preparation time doesn't include the chilling of the browned butter.
Provided by greenery
Categories Bar Cookie
Yield 16-20 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heavy two-quart saucepan, melt all the butter over low heat. Cook butter 8 to 12 minutes, stirring consistently, until butter solids at bottom of pan are a rich brown color and butter has a nutty aroma. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Pour browned butter into a bowl; refrigerate until almost firm, about a half hour.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat sugar with cooled browned butter.
- Mix flour and salt into butter mixture by hand -- don't overwork the dough. It will be crumbly.
- Pat shortbread crumbs into pan of choice. I like to use a square pan.
- Bake shortbread 40 to 45 minutes, until browned around the edge. Watch carefully lest they burn. Let cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove shortbread from pan to cutting board. While still warm, cut the whole in half, in half again, and in half again until you have small squares. These are rich, and shouldn't be large.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 150.3, Fat 8.8, SaturatedFat 5.5, Cholesterol 22.9, Sodium 74.1, Carbohydrate 16.7, Fiber 0.4, Sugar 6.3, Protein 1.5
GINGER SHORTBREAD COOKIES
The traditional holiday flavor of gingerbread meets the buttery goodness of shortbread in this irresistible cookie. Pretty flecks of candied ginger make the treats a pretty addition to any cookie platter.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 5 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, ground ginger, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts and crystallized ginger., Shape into two 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets., Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 52 calories, Fat 3g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 8mg cholesterol, Sodium 37mg sodium, Carbohydrate 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 1g protein.
This is a very tasty cookie with a bit of a kick from ginger. These go very well with tea. Please only use real butter - shortbread does not lend itself to any substitutions. My dear friend,Michelle,used to serve these and shared the recipe with me. The recipe is adapted from "Traditional Scottish Cookery" by Theodora Fitzgibbon. The amount of cookies you get will very depending upon how small you cut them. I like to use a shortbread mold. NOTE: If you can't find golden syrup (also known as Cane Syrup), you may subsitute corn syrup or honey - or mix honey & corn syrup together.
Provided by HeatherFeather
Yield 10-15 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cream the 4 ozs butter with the sugar.
- Combine flour, 1 tsp. ginger, and baking powder; add to the butter mixture.
- Put into a greased shortbread pan (or a 7-8" round or square baking pan) and bake at 325 F (170 C) for about 40 minutes or until done.
- While the shortbread is baking, prepare the icing: melt together the butter, ginger, and golden syrup in a saucepan over low heat until blended and smooth.
- Pour the icing over the hot shortbread and let it cool a little.
- When the icing has cooled a bit, decorate the top with pieces of candied ginger.
- Cut shortbread into shapes (wedges or rectangles).
- Cool completely before removing from pan.
- *Note:You may leave out the candied ginger- some may find it too spicy, especially children.
BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD
- Cream butter, Diamond Crystal® Kosher Salt and dark brown sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes with an electric mixer on high speed. Add flour and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Scrape dough onto a sheet of parchment paper; shape into a log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap with the parchment paper. Refrigerate until chilled completely, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil cookie sheets.
- Remove dough from parchment and roll in demerara sugar to coat. Slice into rounds 1/4 inch thick and place on cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle each cookie with additional demerara sugar and a pinch of Diamond Crystal® Coarse Sea Salt.
- Bake until very lightly browned and firm to the touch, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 78 calories, Carbohydrate 7.5 g, Cholesterol 13.4 mg, Fat 5.1 g, Fiber 0.2 g, Protein 0.7 g, SaturatedFat 3.2 g, Sodium 39.9 mg, Sugar 2.8 g
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9 1/2-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer at high speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light in color and texture, about 2 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour, rice flour, and ground ginger to make a soft dough. Stir in the crystallized ginger. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Using the tines of a fork, press around the perimeter of the dough. Prick the dough, reaching down to the bottom of the pan, into 12 wedges.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in the pan. Remove the sides of the pan. Cut or break the shortbread into wedges, following the perforations in the dough. (The shortbread can be prepared up to 5 days ahead, stored in an airtight container at room temperature.)
More about "browned butter ginger shortbread recipes"
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
4.5/5 (2)Calories 80 per servingServings 48
- Melt 1 cup butter in heavy 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring constantly and watching closely, 4-6 minutes or until butterjuststarts to turn golden. (Butter will get foamy and bubble.) Immediately remove from heat. Refrigerate 5 minutes.
- Combine browned butter, brown sugar, powdered sugar and vanilla in bowl. Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add flours; beat at low speed until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press dough into ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Prick all over with fork. Bake 18-22 minutes or until set but not brown. Cool 5 minutes. Cut into squares, rectangles, diamonds or triangles with sharp knife while hot.
BROWN BUTTER GINGER MOLASSES COOKIES - COLEY COOKS
THE BEST SOFT GINGER COOKIES (WITH LEMON ICING!) | AMBITIOUS KITCHEN
SPICE UP YOUR LIFE WITH OUR GINGER MASALA BROWN SUGAR …
ICED GINGER SHORTBREAD – JENNIFER MURCH
GINGER SHORTBREAD RECIPE
BROWN BUTTER RYE SHORTBREAD - KING ARTHUR BAKING
BROWN BUTTER SHORTBREAD BISCUITS TED LASSO STYLE - 1840 FARM
SOFT AND CHEWY BROWN BUTTER GINGERSNAPS ARE A MUST MAKE!
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD COOKIES - OR WHATEVER YOU DO
SCOTTISH SHORTBREAD WITH GINGER RECIPE - MY PLAID HEART
BEST GINGER SHORTBREAD RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
SHORTBREAD | KING ARTHUR BAKING
HAZELNUT BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD - GRUMPY'S HONEYBUNCH
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD RECIPE | HOMEMADE HOLIDAY DESSERT
BUTTERY GINGER SHORTBREAD COOKIES - KAREN'S KITCHEN STORIES
GINGER SHORTBREAD - SWEET TREATS AND SAVOURY EATS
GINGER SHORTBREAD - SUGAR SALT MAGIC
BROWN-BUTTER SHORTBREAD RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
BROWNED BUTTER GINGER SHORTBREAD RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
GINGER SHORTBREAD - LIFE BY KATHLEEN
SPICED GINGER SHORTBREAD ROUNDS RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
BEST TRADITIONAL SHORTBREAD RECIPE (EVER!) • THE FRESH COOKY
GERMAN BROWN BUTTER SHORTBREAD COOKIES - THE TOASTY KITCHEN
THREE-INGREDIENT BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD | ALEXANDRA'S KITCHEN
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES - MASTERCOOK
BROWN BUTTER GINGERBREAD MEN - BAKER BY NATURE
GINGER SHORTBREAD COOKIE BARS - THERESCIPES.INFO
BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
SLICE AND BAKE BROWN BUTTER SAGE SHORTBREAD COOKIES
BROWNED BUTTER SOFT GINGER COOKIES - OR WHATEVER YOU DO
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION …
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD COOKIES - TASTE OF THE SOUTH
BROWN SUGAR SHORTBREAD COOKIE RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST ...
GERMAN SHORTBREAD WITH BROWNED BUTTER - MY GERMAN RECIPES
#time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #north-american #5-ingredients-or-less #rolled-cookies #desserts #canadian #easy #cookies-and-brownies #british-columbian #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make ginger shortbread?This Ginger Shortbread, perfect for the holiday season, is a variation of our Basic Shortbread Wedges. Butter an 8 1/2-inch cake or springform pan; set aside. Sift together flour and salt into a small bowl; set aside. Place butter in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Cream until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
How do you make shortbread?Shortbread is thick, crumbly, buttery, sandy, not too sweet and snaps. I use my stand mixer but a good 'ole bowl works perfectly as well. Dump everything in the bowl and mix until the butter is pea-sized. The only difference here is you need cold browned butter so it's not as easy as grabbing the butter out of the fridge.
How do you make ginger ginger bread dough?In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until the dough starts to come together. Add the ginger, then dump onto a surface generously dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
What is a gingerbread cake?It's a mix between gingerbread and shortbread with the texture and butteriness of shortbread with the flavour of gingerbread. I pressed it in a shortbread mold that Joanne from What's On The List was kind enough to send me for Christmas.