- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and 1 cup of sugar on medium-low speed, just until they are combined. (Don¿t whip!) Add the vanilla and 2 teaspoons water and mix until combined. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until the dough starts to come together. Add the ginger, then dump onto a surface generously dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough 3/8 inch thick and cut circles with a 2 3/4-inch plain round cookie cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges start to brown.
- Cool to room temperature and serve.
Bake Ina Garten's chocolate-dipped Shortbread Cookies for the perfect bite with tea, from Barefoot Contessa on Food Network.
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 20 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut with a 3 by 1-inch finger-shaped cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- When the cookies are cool, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put 3 ounces of the chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave on high power for 30 seconds. (Don't trust your microwave timer; time it with your watch.) Stir with a wooden spoon. Continue to heat and stir in 30-second increments until the chocolate is just melted. Add the remaining chocolate and allow it to sit at room temperature, stirring often, until it's completely smooth. Stir vigorously until the chocolate is smooth and slightly cooled; stirring makes it glossier.
- Drizzle 1/2 of each cookie with just enough chocolate to coat it.
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD
Browning the butter gives this shortbread a toastiness which sets it apart from other shortbread recipes. I usually double this recipe. The preparation time doesn't include the chilling of the browned butter.
Provided by greenery
Categories Bar Cookie
Yield 16-20 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heavy two-quart saucepan, melt all the butter over low heat. Cook butter 8 to 12 minutes, stirring consistently, until butter solids at bottom of pan are a rich brown color and butter has a nutty aroma. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Pour browned butter into a bowl; refrigerate until almost firm, about a half hour.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat sugar with cooled browned butter.
- Mix flour and salt into butter mixture by hand -- don't overwork the dough. It will be crumbly.
- Pat shortbread crumbs into pan of choice. I like to use a square pan.
- Bake shortbread 40 to 45 minutes, until browned around the edge. Watch carefully lest they burn. Let cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove shortbread from pan to cutting board. While still warm, cut the whole in half, in half again, and in half again until you have small squares. These are rich, and shouldn't be large.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 150.3, Fat 8.8, SaturatedFat 5.5, Cholesterol 22.9, Sodium 74.1, Carbohydrate 16.7, Fiber 0.4, Sugar 6.3, Protein 1.5
- Butter an 8 1/2-inch cake or springform pan; set aside. Sift together flour and salt into a small bowl; set aside. Place butter in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Cream until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sugar, and continue to beat until very light in color and fluffy, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, about 2 minutes more. Add vanilla, if using. Add flour mixture, and combine on low speed, scraping with spatula if necessary, until flour is just incorporated and dough sticks together when squeezed with fingers.
- Pat dough into prepared pan. If rolling out dough to cut into shapes, form into a flat disk; wrap in plastic. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Sift 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, a pinch of ground cloves, and a pinch of pepper with flour and salt. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out gingerbread men using a 3-inch cutter; sprinkle with crystal sugar; chill.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake until firm, about 30 minutes.
GINGER SHORTBREAD COOKIES
The traditional holiday flavor of gingerbread meets the buttery goodness of shortbread in this irresistible cookie. Pretty flecks of candied ginger make the treats a pretty addition to any cookie platter.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 5 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, ground ginger, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts and crystallized ginger., Shape into two 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets., Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 52 calories, Fat 3g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 8mg cholesterol, Sodium 37mg sodium, Carbohydrate 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 1g protein.
Irish butter has a high butterfat content, making it especially flavorful. It's expensive to use for everyday baking but worth the splurge for this shortbread, where the ingredient shines.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 8 wedges
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Prepare an ice-water bath with a medium metal bowl set inside. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until deep golden brown, about 8 minutes. Immediately pour butter into bowl in ice-water bath and whisk in milk. Stir mixture constantly with a rubber spatula, scraping the sides of the bowl, until mixture begins to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from ice-water bath and let stand until mixture thickens to the consistency of room-temperature butter, about 30 minutes.
- Beat butter mixture with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla, and continue to beat for 2 minutes more. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour.
- Butter a 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough evenly into bottom of pan using plastic wrap. (Make sure dough is flat; a small offset spatula may help.) Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cut through dough to make 8 wedges using a sharp paring knife and a ruler. Cut a round from the center using a 2 1/4-inch ovenproof cookie cutter; discard dough. Return cutter to hole. Prick wedges all over with a wooden skewer. Refrigerate, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle sanding sugar evenly over shortbread. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until golden brown, 55 minutes to 1 hour 5 minutes. Let cool in pan set on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove shortbread from pan, and cut along lines into wedges. Let cool completely on rack.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9 1/2-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer at high speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light in color and texture, about 2 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour, rice flour, and ground ginger to make a soft dough. Stir in the crystallized ginger. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Using the tines of a fork, press around the perimeter of the dough. Prick the dough, reaching down to the bottom of the pan, into 12 wedges.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in the pan. Remove the sides of the pan. Cut or break the shortbread into wedges, following the perforations in the dough. (The shortbread can be prepared up to 5 days ahead, stored in an airtight container at room temperature.)
BROWNED BUTTER GINGER SHORTBREAD
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat and do not take your eyes off it. Watch it carefully as it begins to separate and brown and smell richly nutty. Immediately remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cream the cooled butter and make sure to include all the rich goodness from the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add the icing sugar and slowly cream together.
- Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Add the ginger and mix just until evenly distributed in dough.
- Turn the dough out onto an 18" x 12" sheet of parchment paper. Form into an 18" long and 1 1/2" diameter round or rectangular log. Wrap in the parchment paper and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Working fairly quickly, remove from parchment paper and with a sharp knife slice into 1/4" disks or rectangles and place 1/2" apart on parchment papered baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 min at 375°F (190°C) until bottoms are just turning golden.
- Cool on rack and keep in airtight container or freeze and serve as needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 96.3, Fat 6.2, SaturatedFat 3.9, Cholesterol 16.3, Sodium 54.2, Carbohydrate 9.4, Fiber 0.2, Sugar 3, Protein 0.9
More about "browned butter ginger shortbread recipes"
HOW TO BROWN BUTTER | ALLRECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
10 BEST BUTTER SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPES | YUMMLY
GINGER SHORTBREAD @ NOT QUITE NIGELLA
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD RECIPE | LAND O’LAKES
4.5/5 (2)Servings 48
- Melt 1 cup butter in heavy 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring constantly and watching closely, 4-6 minutes or until butterjuststarts to turn golden. (Butter will get foamy and bubble.) Immediately remove from heat. Refrigerate 5 minutes.
- Combine browned butter, brown sugar, powdered sugar and vanilla in bowl. Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add flours; beat at low speed until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press dough into ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Prick all over with fork. Bake 18-22 minutes or until set but not brown. Cool 5 minutes. Cut into squares, rectangles, diamonds or triangles with sharp knife while hot.
HEIDESAND (TRADITIONAL GERMAN BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD ...
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking frequently as the butter comes to a simmer (simmer, not boil). Browned specks will appear at the bottom of the pan. Whisk constantly until the the butter reaches a rich brown color. Note: The butter will burn very quickly at this stage so be careful. Once the butter is a rich brown at the bottom of the pan, remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, pour the butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until frothy. Add the sugar, milk and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into a mass. The dough will be very dry and brittle. Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and squish the dough to form two logs about 1-inch in diameter. The dough will be crumbly, keep working at it to form the logs (see pictures in this post for reference). Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
BROWN BUTTER SHORTBREAD - COMPLETELY DELICIOUS
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Continue to cook the butter until it turns deep golden brown. Watch it carefully to make sure it doesn't burn. Pour the butter into a bowl and chill until solidified.
- Preheat oven to 300°F and grease a 9 or 10 inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Remove the butter from the fridge and let it come back to room temperature. You don't want it to be liquid at all, but it should still be soft.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract. Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Press the dough into the prepared tart pan. Use a knife to cut dough into 8 wedges and prick the dough with a toothpick or small dowel. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
CRYSTALLIZED GINGER SHORTBREAD COOKIE RECIPE — THE MOM 100
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar. Beat in the salt, then the flour, and then the vanilla. Finally beat in the crystallized ginger. The dough will appear crumbly but then hold together when you pinch it.
- Press the dough into an 8-inch square baking pan so that the top is flat and the dough is even. Score the top with a sharp knife into 36 small squares. Place the pan in the freezer for 20 minutes, or the fridge for at least an hour, until it firms up slightly.
- Bake for about 40 minutes minutes, until just very slightly colored; the edges will be just a bit browned. Remove the cookies to a wire rack and cool for 20 to 30 minutes. Carefully flip the shortbread, turn it right side up, and cool completely on the rack out of the pan.
TRY OUR BROWN BUTTER SHORTBREAD COOKIES & YOU'LL NEVER GO ...
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil that hangs over the sides to create a sling. You may use either a fluted 8 or 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom, or an 8-inch square pan. Grease lightly.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat until it turns a darker, caramel color and emits a warm, nutty smell. This will take approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heat-proof mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla, and salt, and stir to combine. Add the flour and stir until combined. Spread dough in prepared pan, and let sit for 2 hours.
BROWNED BUTTER SHORTBREAD RECIPE | A TASTY HOMEMADE ...
3.5/5 Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, melt the butter and bring it to a boil. Swirling the pot consistently continue to boil the butter until the milk solids begin to brown and the butter turns an amber color. Allow the butter to cool completely and becomes solid again. You can allow the butter to do this all at room temperature, or you can chill the butter in the refrigerator to firm it up quickly, but you will need to bring it back to room temperature before continuing.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Coat a 10- inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Cut a parchment paper round to fit in the bottom of the pan. Place the round in the sprayed pan and spray again. Set aside.
- Once the butter is solid, at room temperature place in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the brown sugar and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed until pale in color.
BROWN BUTTER RYE SHORTBREAD | KING ARTHUR BAKING
- To brown the butter: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, the butter will start to sizzle and may spatter. Continue to cook the butter, swirling the pan regularly, until it’s a rich golden brown and brown bits start collecting at the bottom of the pan; the butter will have stopped sizzling and may also have a layer of foam on the surface.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the butter into a heatproof bowl. Cool the butter slightly at room temperature, then transfer it to the refrigerator to chill until it solidifies but isn’t rock-hard, about 30 minutes. , To make the shortbread: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line them with parchment paper. , Stir together the rye flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt, breaking up any brown sugar lumps if necessary. , Remove the brown butter from the refrigerator, stir it briefly to bring it to an even temperature, then work it into the dry ingredients until everything is crumbly.
- Gather the dough into a ball. It should be entirely cohesive; if dry bits are falling off around the edges and everything isn’t holding together nicely, add a bit more milk.
GINGERSNAP SHORTBREAD | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, powdered sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter along with the molasses until it resembles fine crumbs. Knead until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough in half.
- Pat each half of dough into an 8-inch circle on a very large ungreased cookie sheet (or use two smaller cookie sheets). Use your fingers to make a scalloped edge on each round. Sprinkle each round with granulated sugar. Prick every inch or so with the tines of a fork. Cut each circle into 8 wedges (do not separate wedges). If desired, use a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to make impressions on each wedge.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until bottom just starts to turn golden brown and center is set. Recut circle into wedges while warm. Transfer wedges to a wire rack; cool. Makes 16 cookies.
BROWN BUTTER SHORTBREAD - CONFESSIONS OF A BAKING QUEEN
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a regular medium-sized bowl add the flour, butter, sugar, and salt. Mix on low/medium speed until the butter is mixed in and pea-size pieces of butter are left OR mix by using your hands to rub the butter into the dry ingredients. If you grab a handful of the dough you should be able to squeeze it in your hand into one piece.
- Transfer the dough to the pan and press down evenly. Use a rolling pin or glass to roll the shortbread dough to ensure it's tightly in the pan. Using a butter knife score the shortbread, basically marking the shortbread - you are not cutting all the way through, into whichever size pieces you want. Scoring up, down, and across. Prick all over with a fork. If your fork sticks and pulls some of the shortbread up then gently use your clean finger next to the fork as you press down to kind of hold the shortbread in place.
- Bake for approximately 18-25 minutes, or until golden brown on edges. Once baked cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Sprinkle sugar on top and shake pan side to side to distribute evenly. Cut on the previously scored marks and store them in an airtight container. Last for up to a week.
RECIPE: GINGER SHORTBREAD FOR BROWN BAG MOLD - RECIPELINK.COM
Category Breads-AssortedReply to RecipeFrom Betsy at TKL, 12-06-2000Title Recipe
BROWN SUGAR GINGER SHORTBREAD - COOKEATSHARE
BROWN BUTTER SHORTBREAD COOKIES RECIPE
ORANGE GINGER SHORTBREAD COOKIES - SHARE-RECIPES.NET
BROWN BUTTER PECAN SHORTBREAD - IRISHTIMES.COM
BROWNED BUTTER GINGER SHORTBREAD RECIPES
SPICY GINGER SHORTBREADS RECIPES
BROWNED BUTTER SOFT GINGER COOKIES | RECIPE | SOFT GINGER ...
#time-to-make #course #cuisine #preparation #north-american #5-ingredients-or-less #rolled-cookies #desserts #canadian #easy #cookies-and-brownies #british-columbian #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What's the best way to make ginger shortbread?In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until the dough starts to come together. Add the ginger, then dump onto a surface generously dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
What's the best way to make brown butter shortbread?Brown Butter Shortbread is perfect for a party or cuddled up with tea! Preheat oven to 350F/180C and get a 9"X13" pan out- no need to grease it. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a regular medium-sized bowl add the flour, butter, sugar, and salt.
What's the best way to make Scottish shortbread?1) Cover an un-greased baking sheet with non-stick, oven-proof parchment paper. 2) Sieve together the all-purpose flour, rice flour, and salt. Sieving 2-3 times is best. Don’t worry, it doesn’t take as long as it sounds. 3) In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
How to make brown sugar cookies at home?Add the brown sugar and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed until pale in color. Add in the salt and vanilla and mix until smooth. Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until combined. The dough will be dry. Press the dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until the edges are golden brown, and the center is set.