CUBAN BLACK BEAN SOUP
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Cook 1 cup chopped onion and the garlic in oil 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except eggs and additional chopped onions; heat to boiling. Boil 2 minutes; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Serve soup topped with eggs and onions.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 180, Carbohydrate 20 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Fiber 7 g, Protein 9 g, SaturatedFat 1 1/2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving (about 1 1/2 cups), Sodium 530 mg, Sugar 3 g, TransFat 0 g
CUBAN-STYLE BLACK BEANS
- Soak the beans with the baking soda in 10 cups of water for about 3 hours. Rinse and drain.
- Add the beans to a Dutch oven and add 10 cups fresh water, along with the olive oil, cumin, oregano, sugar, vinegar, cilantro stems, bay leaves and onion. Simmer until the beans are soft, about 2 hours. Add 2 teaspoons of salt (or more to taste) and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS I
- In a large bowl, soak beans in water to cover overnight.
- Rinse beans, and transfer to a large stock pot. Add onion, bell peppers, bay leaves, paprika, cumin, oregano, and chile peppers, along with water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Test beans for tenderness, and when tender add garlic and balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 296.3 calories, Carbohydrate 55.5 g, Fat 1.5 g, Fiber 13.4 g, Protein 17.6 g, SaturatedFat 0.3 g, Sodium 11 mg, Sugar 6 g
CUBAN BLACK BEANS
This classic recipe is adapted from "Tastes Like Cuba," by Eduardo Machado and Michael Domitrovich. The secret is the homemade sofrito, but bottled will do in a pinch.
Provided by Pete Wells
Categories one pot
Yield Serves 8 to 10
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Cut 1 green pepper into 1-inch squares. Smash and peel 4 of the garlic cloves. Put the green pepper and garlic into a large pot with the beans, ham hock, bay leaves and 1 tablespoon salt. Add 2 quarts water and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and simmer until the beans are tender, an hour or more.
- Meanwhile, make a sofrito. Cut the remaining ½ green pepper into ¼-inch dice. Peel and finely chop the remaining garlic. Heat the olive oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the green pepper and onion and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeño (leave out the seeds if you don't want it too spicy), oregano, cumin, black pepper and 2 teaspoons salt and stir for another minute. Pour in the vinegar and scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. This is your sofrito.
- When the beans are cooked, discard the bay leaf. Remove and set aside the ham hock and let it cool. Transfer 1 cup of beans to small bowl, mash them into a paste with the back of a fork and return to the pot. Add the sofrito, then the sugar. Pull the meat from the ham hock, leaving behind any white sinew or gristle. Chop the ham into ½-inch pieces and return it to the bean pot.
- Stir the beans well and bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or so, skimming any foam from the top. Taste for salt and serve with white rice.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 350, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 33 grams, Fat 15 grams, Fiber 8 grams, Protein 22 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 451 milligrams, Sugar 3 grams, TransFat 0 grams
CUBAN BLACK BEAN CAKES RECIPE
Provided by devogirl
Number Of Ingredients 11
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. 2. In a mixing bowl, mash beans with a fork so that no whole beans are left but the mixture is not mushy and pureed like refried beans. Add cilantro, ketchup, spices, and Vegan Mayo and mix together. 3. Then add 1 tablespoon cornmeal and mix. If it's still slightly sticky to the touch, add another 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of cornmeal. Try not to exceed 2 tablespoons of cornmeal, as it will dry the patties out. 4. Shape mixture into 4 patties (slightly smaller than a medium-size burger) using, your hands. 5. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for 5 minutes more. Bake a third time for 5+ minutes. The patties should have a lightly crisp outside, but still be relatively soft, like crab cakes. You also don't want to overcook or your cakes will dry out. 6. Serve cakes with a dollop of Lime Creme.
BLACK BEAN CAKES
These vegetarian patties are absolutely delicious and topped with a corn salsa. It's one recipe your family will request often. -Barbara Nowakowski, Mesa, Arizona
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large bowl, mash beans with a fork. Stir in the egg white, onions, 1/4 cup cilantro, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Shape into eight 2-1/2-in. patties. , In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties in batches in oil for 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown., In a small bowl, combine the corn, salsa and remaining cilantro; spoon over cakes. Garnish with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 264 calories, Fat 5g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 3mg cholesterol, Sodium 577mg sodium, Carbohydrate 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 9g fiber), Protein 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
CUBAN BLACK BEAN PATTIES
This is my adaptation of a recipe from Cooking Light Magazine (03/07). These black bean burgers are a delicious vegetarian entree and reheat very well in a toaster oven or in a pan. I recommend serving them with rice, greens, salsa and sour cream. Be careful to fully drain the beans and cook the patties long enough so that they will stay together.
Provided by Whats Cooking
Categories Black Beans
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the beans.
- Place the other 1 1/2 cups in a medium bowl with garlic, cumin, cilantro and salt. Partially mash with a fork.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup of beans in a food processor with the egg. Process for approximately 30 seconds or until well combined.
- Add bean puree to slightly mashed beans in a bowl, and stir until combined.
- Add cheese and onion, combine well.
- Divide the bean mixture into 4 parts. Shape each portion into a 1/2 inch thick patty.
- Place cornmeal on a plate or in a shallow dish.
- Dredge each patty in cornmeal until thoroughly but thinly covered.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray.
- Add patties and cook for approximately 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Carefully move onto plates with a spatula.
- Serve hot, with sour cream and rice.
GRILLED SHRIMP WITH BLACK BEAN CAKES AND CORIANDER SAUCE
- Black Bean Cakes
- Place the black beans in cold water to cover. Soak overnight, or for at least 1 hour. Drain, rinse, place in a large pot, and cover with fresh cold water. Bring to a boil, skim the foam, then simmer over low heat for about 1 hour. Add more water, if necessary, to keep the beans covered.
- Meanwhile, heat the 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the vegetables, along with the honey, vinegar, chili powder, and cumin, to the beans and continue to simmer. When the beans are quite soft and are starting to break down, season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the beans are creamy.
- Remove the bean mixture from the heat and strain, reserving the liquid. Puree in a food processor, then transfer to a baking sheet. Spread the puree evenly and let it cool completely. Form the puree into little cakes shaped like hockey pucks (use about 1/2 cup per cake). The consistency is perfect if it is moist enough to gather into a ball, but not so wet that the mixture sticks to your hands.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. To finish the cakes, lightly dust them with flour. Heat a medium skillet (lightly coated with oil) over medium-high heat. Sauté the cakes just long enough to get a nice crust on each side. When ready to serve, place them on baking sheets in the oven to warm through. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of cilantro.
- Grilled Shrimp
- Soak the skewers in hot water.
- In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil and seasonings. Toss the shrimp with this marinade and refrigerate while you make the coriander sauce.
- Turn on the broiler or light the grill.
- Place 4 shrimp on each skewer.
- Meanwhile, heat the black bean cakes.
- Broil or grill the shrimp 2-3 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Remove from the skewers, arrange on four plates, and drizzle with the warm coriander sauce. Serve with a black bean cake.
- Coriander Sauce
- Place the shallot, orange zest and juice, wine, vinegar, and coriander in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the liquid is reduced to 2 or 3 tablespoons. While it's still hot, whisk in softened butter by the spoonful until the sauce is emulsified (it will look thick and creamy). Stir in the chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
BLACK BEAN CAKES
Provided by Food Network
Yield 2 to 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the sour cream: Mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- For the black beans: Combine the black beans with the onion and garlic cloves. Cover with water and bring to a boil, and then simmer, covered. The beans are ready when they are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and set aside to cool down. Drain.
- For the vegetables: Saute all ingredients in a medium saute pan in the oil over medium-high and set aside to cool down.
- For the patties: Take about 3/4 cup black beans after they have cooled and put into food processor and pulse until the beans break apart but don't form a big ball of mush.
- Add the beans to the sauteed vegetables and mix in the flour, cumin, salt and pepper, and adobo and form into 6 to 8 patties.
- Add enough oil to coat a medium saute pan and place over medium-high heat. Add 2 to 3 patties and cook for about 1 minute, and then turn and sear the other sides for 1 more minute. The patties should have a golden brown crust. Place into the oven for about 4 minutes.
- While the patties are in the oven, add enough oil to coat a medium saute pan and place over medium-high heat. Add the red onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper, and wilt. Add the diced tomatoes and toss to warm through.
- Set the spinach in the center of a plate and place 2 to 3 bean cakes on top. Squeeze a little lime juice on top and top off with chipotle sour cream.
More about "cuban black bean cakes recipes"
CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4.8/5 (46)Estimated Reading Time 7 minsServings 2
- Bring beans, bay leaf, ¼ cup chopped onion, ¼ cup chopped bell pepper, 1 Tbsp. grated garlic, 5 tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1 Tbsp. Morton salt, ½ tsp. oregano, and 5 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally and adding more hot water if needed to cover, until beans are tender and covered by about ¼" liquid, 2½–3 hours. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-low. Add remaining onion, bell pepper, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and beginning to brown, 15–20 minutes. Stir into cooked beans. Top with cilantro, if using.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE - ALEX GARCIA | FOOD & WINE
5/5 Category Beans & Legumes, Black Beans
- Put the black beans, quartered green pepper and bay leaves in a large saucepan add 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Remove and discard the green pieces and bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the minced bell peppers and onion and cook over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the cumin and oregano. In a small saucepan, cook the garlic in the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil over moderately low heat until golden brown.
- When the beans are tender, add the sautéed pepper mixture, the garlic in its oil and the tomato paste. Season with salt and simmer gently for 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days. Reheat gently before serving.
CUBAN STYLE BLACK BEAN DIP RECIPE - MY BIG FAT CUBAN FAMILY
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
VEGAN CUBAN BLACK BEANS (FRIJOLES NEGROS) - THAT GIRL ...
4.9/5 (9)Total Time 2 hrs 20 minsCategory Main EntreePublished 2021-08-25
CUBAN BLACK BEANS RECIPE | RECIPES.NET
Servings 12Total Time 2 hrs 10 minsCategory BeansCalories 114 per serving
CUBAN BLACK BEAN PATTIES WITH PINEAPPLE RICE RECIPE ...
4/5 (23)Calories 294 per servingServings 4
- To prepare rice, cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; place rice in a large bowl. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pineapple; sauté 4 minutes or just until pineapple begins to brown. Add pineapple mixture, cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to rice in bowl; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan clean with paper towels.
- To prepare patties, place 1 1/2 cups beans, garlic, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; partially mash with a fork. Place 1/2 cup remaining beans and egg white in a food processor; process 30 seconds or until well combined. Add bean puree to mashed beans in bowl, and stir until combined. Add cheese and onion to bean mixture; stir until combined. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Dredge both sides of each patty in cornmeal.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Spoon about 1/2 cup rice onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 patty and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
CUBAN STYLE SWEET POTATOES, YAMS AND BLACK BEANS WITH ...
Cuisine enCategory Main DishServings 2Total Time 35 mins
- Peel and cube the yams and sweet potatoes into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Put in large bowl and drizzle with just a little extra virgin olive oil, add spices, toss to combine. Too much oil and they will be mushy.
- Pour into a large casserole dish and bake at 400F for 30-45 minutes, depending on how many you use and how small you cut them. As soon as they are easily pierced with a fork, remove from oven. you don't want mashed potatoes, you want them slightly firm.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pot, add Ranch Style black beans, drained. 1/2 cup chicken broth or water, chopped cilantro, cumin and salt. Cook covered over medium heat to combine flavors.
CUBAN BLACK BEANS AND RICE - LOVE BAKES GOOD CAKES
5/5 (2)Total Time 45 minsCategory MeatlessCalories 220 per serving
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion and green pepper until tender-crisp. Stir in tomatoes, undrained beans, thyme, and garlic. Cook 3 minutes. Add vinegar and hot pepper sauce. Continue to cook 5 minutes.
QUICK AND DELICIOSO CUBAN STYLE BLACK BEANS RECIPE ...
Cuisine MexicanCategory BeansServings 4Total Time 30 mins
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CUBAN BLACK BEANS OF YOUR LIFE ...
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
ARE BLACK BEANS KETO - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
THURSDAY’S DINNER: CUBAN BLACK BEAN CAKES AND ROASTED ...
CUBAN BLACK BEAN CAKES RECIPES
CUBAN BLACK BEAN CAKES | BLACK BEAN CAKES, BEAN CAKES ...
CUBAN BLACK BEAN CAKES RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
CUBAN BLACK BEAN CAKES RECIPE | RECIPE | BLACK BEAN CAKES ...
EASIEST WAY TO MAKE ANY-NIGHT-OF-THE-WEEK CUBAN BLACK ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is Cuban black bean soup?Arguably the national dish of Cuban Americans, black bean soup is both rustic and refined. Before washing the beans, spread on a flat surface and pick out broken beans and foreign particles. Wash beans thoroughly and soak overnight in 2 quarts of water.
How to cook black beans in a crock pot?Put the black beans, quartered green pepper and bay leaves in a large saucepan add 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
Do Cuban black beans have tomato paste in them?Review Body: Cuban Black Beans NEVER have tomato products in them. Not paste, not any. The tomato products are reserved for ALL OTHER bean recipes, but NEVER in black beans, fyi.
Where can you buy Cuban black beans by the gallon?Ricardo Barreras, the owner of Pilar Cuban Eatery in Brooklyn, a restaurant dedicated to serving traditional Cuban food with carefully sourced ingredients, makes black beans by the gallon for his customers every week, and he has some tips on how to make sure you get all that you need out of your Cuban black beans.