These Dutch spice cookies taste similar to the windmill cookies we enjoy in the United States. In Holland, it's tradition to mold the dough into the shape of St. Nicholas and serve the baked cookies on Sinterklaas (St. Nicholas Day). -Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield about 2-1/2 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, molasses and orange zest. Combine the flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, ginger and cardamom. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until easy to handle. , Preheat oven to 350°. On a parchment-lined surface, roll a small amount of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Use a floured cookie stamp to press design into dough, then cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters, leaving 1 in. between cookies. Remove excess dough and reroll scraps, if desired., Transfer parchment with dough to cookie sheet. If dough has warmed, place baking sheet in refrigerator until it firms up, about 10-15 minutes. Bake at 350° until edges are lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 151 calories, Fat 7g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 30mg cholesterol, Sodium 65mg sodium, Carbohydrate 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 2g protein.
DUTCH SPECULAAS COOKIES (WITH SLIVERED ALMONDS ON TOP)
Taken from a little community cookbook "Cooking on Clogs" that has some great family recipes compiled by Dutch ladies especially for when they pined for typical Dutch recipes and treats that were not available to them shop-bought when they emmigrated to other countries. I like the fact that these cookies don't just specify the vague ingredient "speculaas kruiden" (spices) but actually tell you how to make the spice mix from scratch. Each region and many local bakers within regions had their own, often highly prized and highly secret mixture of spices,and competition between then to have the most popular was fierce. These differ from my other Speculaas recipe in that they contain aniseed and ginger in the mix, and also that they do not contain ground almonds within the cookie mixture, but feature slivered almonds on the top so they are more like the giant decorative speculaas that you will find in Dutch shops from late November in the run up to Sint Nicolas on December 5th. ZWT REGION: The Netherlands.
Provided by kiwidutch
Yield 40 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Gradually add sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, mixing well, until the dough forms a ball.
- Place on a floured surface and roll out very thinly until it's about 3 mm (1/8th inch) thick.
- Use cookie cutters to shape into desired forms
- Brush the tops with lightly beaten egg white.
- Decorate tops with slivered almonds.
- Bake at 190 C (375 F) for about 12 minutes or until light golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 129.3, Fat 6.7, SaturatedFat 3.3, Cholesterol 13.4, Sodium 87.2, Carbohydrate 16.3, Fiber 0.8, Sugar 8.2, Protein 1.7
DUTCH SPECULAAS COOKIES (CONTAINS GROUND ALMONDS)
Taken from a little community cookbook "Cooking on Clogs" that has some great family recipes compiled by Dutch ladies especially for when they pined for typical Dutch recipes and treats that were not available to them shop-bought when they emigrated to other countries. I like the fact that these cookies don't just specify the vague ingredient "speculaas kruiden" (spices) but actually tell you how to make the spice mix from scratch. These cookies available year round in NL but the large, often highly decorative cookies, often made to a regional or local spekulaas spice recipes that are the cooks closely guarded secret, and often topped with slivered almonds, make their appearance in late November in the run up to Saint Nicolas on December 5th. Cooking time includes refrigeration time and yield is a total guess because it depends entirely how large you choose to make your cookies :) ZWT REGION: The Netherlands.
Provided by kiwidutch
Yield 20 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat in the salt, almonds, egg and 3 tablespoons of milk.
- Add the flour and spices and enough of the remaining milk to make a stiff dough. Mix well to work in all of the flour throughout the mixture.
- Roll into a ball, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out and use a wooden Speculaas form to make decorative shapes or use cookie cutter forms. Place on a greased baking tray, brush lightly with milk and bake at 200°C (400°F) for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 207.3, Fat 8.3, SaturatedFat 4.4, Cholesterol 28.1, Sodium 115.4, Carbohydrate 30.7, Fiber 0.9, Sugar 14.6, Protein 3.1
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Dust 2 baking sheets with flour.
- Combine brown sugar and butter together in a bowl; beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, cinnamon, baking powder, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough comes together.
- Shape dough into cookies by hand or using cookie cutters. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until firm but not hard, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 163 calories, Carbohydrate 21.1 g, Cholesterol 28.1 mg, Fat 8.1 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 2 g, SaturatedFat 5 g, Sodium 27.3 mg, Sugar 8.9 g
SPECULAAS TART WITH ALMOND FILLING
- For dough:
- Sift first 6 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until blended. Beat in egg. Add flour mixture and beat until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; divide into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other. Flatten dough into disks; wrap and chill at least 2 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead; keep chilled. Soften slightly before rolling.)
- For filling:
- Blend first 8 ingredients in processor until nuts are finely chopped. Transfer to small bowl. Cover; chill at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Roll out larger dough piece on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to pan and press gently over bottom and up sides, pressing any tears together. Spread filling in dough. Trim dough on sides to 1/2 inch above level of filling. Fold dough in over filling.
- Roll out second dough disk on lightly floured surface to 12- to 13-inch round. Using bottom of cake pan as aid, cut out 9-inch-diameter round of dough. Slide dough round onto plate and freeze 5 minutes to firm. Reserve dough scraps for cookies. Place chilled dough round on tart; press to adhere and seal edges.
- Bake tart until crust is brown, about 50 minutes. Remove sides of springform pan; cool tart completely on pan bottom. Maintain oven temperature.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out dough scraps on lightly floured surface to scant 1/4-inch thickness. Using 2-inch gingerbread-man cutter, cut out cookies. Transfer cutouts to prepared sheets. Repeat, using all of dough.
- Bake cookies until golden, about 8 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets. (Tart and cookies can be made ahead; cover and store at room temperature 1 day or refrigerate up to 3 days.)
- Sift powdered sugar over top of tart. Place small dab of preserves on back of 1 cookie; place at top edge of tart. Repeat with more cookies, forming border around tart. Transfer tart to platter. Let stand at room temperature at least 1 hour.
When imprinting the fragrant spiced cookie dough with springerle molds, stop frequently to clean the patterns with the tip of a skewer. This allows for a better impression in the dough and resulting cookie.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes about 32 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, mace, white pepper, and cloves in a large bowl.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in half the flour mixture. Beat in water, then remaining flour mixture. Shape into 3 disks. Pat each to a 1-inch thickness, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Dust surface and springerle mold lightly with confectioners' sugar. Roll out dough to a 1/4- to 3/8-inch thickness (deeper molds will need thicker dough). Cut a piece of dough about the size of the mold. Press mold firmly into dough, flip over, and gently roll over dough with a rolling pin. Flip over, and press onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a knife, trim excess dough. Gently coax dough out of mold with fingertips and onto a baking sheet. Repeat, spacing cookies 1 inch apart, and placing same-size cookies on same sheet. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place 1 sheet of cookies in oven, and immediately reduce temperature to 250. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are set and just beginning to turn light gold around edges, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
More about "dutch speculaas cookies contains ground almonds recipes"
SPECULAAS–A DUTCH COOKIE USED IN COOKIE BUTTER
SPICE UP YOUR LIFE WITH SPECULAAS (WINDMILL) COOKIES – DUTCH …
ICONIC SPECULAAS COOKIES - GEMMA’S BIGGER BOLDER BAKING
DUTCH SPECULAAS SPICES COOKIES (THE BEST DUTCH CHRISTMAS COOKIES)
A RECIPE FOR 18TH-CENTURY DUTCH COOKIES - COQUINARIA
DUTCH GINGERBREAD COOKIES AKA SPECULAAS - FAMILICIOUS
GEVULDE SPECULAAS RECIPE - DUTCH SPICED COOKIES FILLED WITH …
SPECULOOS COOKIES (DUTCH WINDMILL COOKIES) - SIMPLY SCRATCH
DUTCH SPICED COOKIES FILLED WITH ALMOND PASTE RECIPE
DUTCH SPECULAAS COOKIES (WINDMILL COOKIES) - PALATABLE PASTIME
DUTCH SPECULAAS COOKIES FOR SINTER KLAAS - WELL-WORN APRON
GEVULDE SPECULAAS-DUTCH SPICE COOKIE FILLED WITH ALMOND PASTE
BUTTER SPECULAAS COOKIES WITH ALMONDS - LITTLE DUTCH GIRL
GEVULDE SPECULAAS KOEKJES (DUTCH ALMOND-FILLED SPICE COOKIES)
DUTCH SPECULAAS COOKIES (CONTAINS GROUND ALMONDS) - PLAIN.RECIPES
DUTCH SPECULAAS COOKIES RECIPE - AN EDIBLE MOSAIC™
RECIPE FOR TRADITIONAL DUTCH COOKIES - MUST SEE HOLLAND
DUTCH CHOCOLATE SPECULAAS COOKIE RECIPE FROM LINDT CANADA
DUTCH SPECULAAS COOKIES - CURIOUS CUISINIERE
GEVULDE SPECULAAS DUTCH CHERRY ALMOND SPICE COOKIES
SPECULAAS COOKIES RECIPE | DUTCH WINDMILL COOKIES
GEVULDE SPECULAAS (SPECULOOS STUFFED WITH ALMOND PASTE)
SPECULAAS–A DUTCH SPICE COOKIE - GFBAKINGFREE.COM
10 TRADITIONAL DUTCH COOKIES - INSANELY GOOD
RECIPE FOR RICH SPECULAAS STUFFED WITH ALMOND PASTE
DUTCH COOKIES SPECULAAS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
DUTCH FILLED ALMOND COOKIES (GEVULDE SPECULAASKOEKEN)
GEVULDE SPECULAAS/DUTCH SPICE COOKIES - ZESTY SOUTH INDIAN KITCHEN
GEVULDE SPECULAAS - DUTCH SPICED COOKIES FILLED WITH ALMONDS
SPECULAAS - DUTCH COOKIES | BACKEN UND KOCHEN
SPECULAAS RECIPE | THE DUTCH SHOP - THE DUTCH SHOP | EUROPEAN …
EGGLESS GEVULDE SPECULAAS | DUTCH SPICED COOKIES - NITHA KITCHEN
DUTCH SPECULAAS COOKIES - PANHANDLE MILLING
DUTCH SPECULAAS COOKIES (CONTAINS GROUND ALMONDS) RECIPE
GEVULDE SPECULAAS: DUTCH ALMOND PASTE FILLED SPICE COOKIES
You'll also love