FROSTED SWEET POTATO CAKE
Just like my mom, I love to cook. I bake a lot for church dinners and homecomings, and many people have told me how much they like this cake.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12-15 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 17
- In a large bowl, beat oil and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sweet potato, water and vanilla. Combine flour and cinnamon; gradually add to potato mixture until well blended. Stir in almonds. , Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. , For frosting, melt butter in a saucepan; whisk in the brown sugar, milk and egg yolks until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in coconut, almonds and vanilla. Spread over warm cake. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 589 calories, Fat 34g fat (11g saturated fat), Cholesterol 121mg cholesterol, Sodium 367mg sodium, Carbohydrate 66g carbohydrate (46g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 8g protein.
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Gather the ingredients.
- Butter a 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan then dust with flour to coat . Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Blend well and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar together until fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth and well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and sweet potatoes to the first mixture and beat on low speed until well blended.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out dry when inserted in the center of the loaf.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese with the butter until smooth and well blended. Slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- Frost the top of the cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut or chopped pecans, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts : Calories 481 kcal, Carbohydrate 60 g, Cholesterol 132 mg, Fiber 3 g, Protein 7 g, SaturatedFat 11 g, Sodium 503 mg, Fat 25 g, ServingSize 8 to 10 servings, UnsaturatedFat 12 g
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH COCONUT FILLING AND CARAMEL FROSTING
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat 3 (9-inch) cake pans with cooking spray; dust lightly with flour. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in sweet potatoes and next 6 ingredients, adding each ingredient 1 at a time. Add pecans and 3 cups flour, beating just until blended.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Coconut Filling evenly between cake layers. Gradually pour about 1/2 cup Caramel Frosting on top of cake, spreading over top and sides with a small spatula. Place cake in refrigerator. Chill remaining Caramel Frosting 45 minutes. Pour another 1/2 cup Caramel Frosting on cake, spreading over top and sides. Repeat procedure with remaining frosting, using 1/2 cup frosting at a time and chilling every 15 minutes. Store cake in refrigerator.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a heavy 2-quart saucepan; gradually stir in milk, and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir about one-fourth of hot milk mixture gradually into egg; add egg mixture to remaining hot milk mixture, stirring constantly. Return to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in coconut and vanilla. Place heavy-duty plastic wrap directly on warm filling. Cool completely; chill 1 hour.
- Whisk together cream cheese and cream in a small bowl until smooth.
- Cook sugar and 2/3 cup water in a heavy 3 1/2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high, and bring mixture to a boil without stirring. Using a pastry brush dipped in hot water, wash down any sugar crystals on sides of pan. Cook, without stirring, 10 minutes or just until syrup turns a deep amber color.
- Whisk in butter gradually; gradually whisk in cream cheese mixture until smooth. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH COCONUT FROSTING
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 2 (8 or 9-inch) round cake pans with butter flavored cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, coconut extract, evaporated milk, and oil. Use an electric mixer to beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Divide batter between prepared cake pans. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle of cakes comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine frosting and rum extract; set aside.
- Place 1 of the cooled cake layers on serving plate. Cut a triangle from the bottom corner of a small zip-top bag. Spoon 1/4 cup of frosting into bag and secure top with 1 hand. Use other hand to guide bag and squeeze a thick border of frosting around the edge of the cake layer. Spoon cranberry sauce in the center of frosting border.
- Carefully place the other cake layer on top. Frost cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with coconut and gently pat to adhere to frosting. Slice and serve.
HOLIDAY LEFT-OVER SWEET POTATO CAKE
This recipe lets you use up left-over sweet potato. The cake is very moist, so you don't really need icing. Better yet, if you have left-over sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving, freeze them, and make this cake for Christmas. The whipped sweet potatoes I use already have some butter and sugar, so I only use 1 3/4 cups of sugar in the batter, but adjust the sugar amount to your liking.
Provided by MLYIN
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Stir together the sugar and vegetable oil in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and sweet potatoes. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl; stir into the batter 1 cup at a time, alternating with the beer just until everything comes together. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting or serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 301.5 calories, Carbohydrate 44.8 g, Cholesterol 37.2 mg, Fat 12.1 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 3.7 g, SaturatedFat 2.1 g, Sodium 318.7 mg, Sugar 25.3 g
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MAPLE FROSTING
This sweet potato cake serves 15 and is filled with the best flavors of fall: cinnamon, nutmeg and maple.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with shortening or cooking spray; lightly flour. In large bowl, beat all cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until blended. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack, about 1 hour.
- In medium bowl, beat frosting ingredients, adding enough milk until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Frost cake.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 420, Carbohydrate 71 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Fat 2 1/2, Fiber 1 g, Protein 4 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 450 mg, Sugar 50 g, TransFat 1/2 g
SWEET-POTATO LAYER CAKE WITH ORANGE-CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce potatoes with fork; place on small baking sheet. Roast potatoes until soft, about 1 hour. Cool, peel, and mash potatoes. Measure 2 cups mashed potatoes; cool to lukewarm (reserve any remaining potatoes for another use). Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides; line pans with parchment. Sift flour and next 6 ingredients into medium bowl. Combine oil, 1 cup sugar, and brown sugar in large bowl; whisk until smooth. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time, then mashed sweet potatoes. Whisk in flour mixture in 3 additions. Stir in 2/3 cup walnuts and 2/3 cup cranberries. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool cakes completely in pans on racks.
- For frosting:
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar, scraping down bowl often. Beat in orange juice concentrate and vanilla.
- Cut around pan sides; turn out cakes. Peel off parchment. Place 1 cake layer, flat side up, on platter. Spread 3/4 cup frosting over. Top with second cake layer, flat side down. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Combine orange peel, 3 tablespoons sugar, remaining 1/4 cup walnuts, and 1/4 cup cranberries in small bowl. Stir to coat with sugar. Transfer to sieve; sift off excess sugar. Sprinkle fruit and nut mixture decoratively atop cake. Chill until frosting sets, at least 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; keep chilled. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)
WORLD'S BEST SWEET POTATO POUND CAKE
Sweet potatoes during the holidays are a must in our household. This time I decided to do something different other than a casserole or a pie. I used white sweet potatoes, but any sweet potatoes will do. You can eat this cake plain, topped with whipped cream, or topped with a glaze. Either way, this pound cake is delicious!
Provided by Yoly
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.
- Cream butter and Neufchatel cream cheese in a stand mixer until creamy. Add both types of sugar and continue to beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in sweet potato puree until well incorporated.
- Combine cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt in a bowl. Slowly add flour mixture to sweet potato mixture; mix until well combined. Beat in vanilla extract. Fill batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 75 to 85 minutes. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 367.4 calories, Carbohydrate 63.2 g, Cholesterol 66.8 mg, Fat 10.5 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 5.9 g, SaturatedFat 6.1 g, Sodium 322.4 mg, Sugar 34.5 g
SWEET POTATO POUND CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING
This tender spice cake has flecks of sweet potatoes and is so moist that you can dig into it without any frosting. I, however, like a little dollop of sweetness. So, I add a bit of frosting directly on each warm slice. The frosting melts into the cake and it is fabulous. -Emma Chapman, Springfield, Missouri
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 16 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 18
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sweet potatoes and vanilla. , Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition., Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. , In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in marshmallow creme and vanilla. Serve warm cake with a dollop of frosting.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 423 calories, Fat 19g fat (11g saturated fat), Cholesterol 99mg cholesterol, Sodium 270mg sodium, Carbohydrate 59g carbohydrate (35g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
SPICED SWEET-POTATO CAKE WITH MERINGUE FROSTING
The marshmallow-topped mash that typically appears on the dinner table practically tastes like dessert, so why not go all the way? In this single-layer cake, sweet potatoes are gussied up with pumpkin pie spice, and a frosting of Italian meringue mimics the usual pillows, minus the cloying sweetness. Last but far from least, lightly toast the top with a wave of your kitchen torch or a quick blast in the broiler.
Provided by Greg Lofts
Categories Cake Recipes
Yield Makes one 9-by-13-inch sheet cake
Number Of Ingredients 18
- For the Cake: Preheat oven to 375°F. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until soft, about 1 hour, 15 minutes. Halve, scoop flesh from skins, and mash until smooth (you should have about 1 1/4 cups). Let cool, then refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days.
- Lower oven temperature to 350°F. Brush a 9-by-13-inch cake pan or baking dish with butter. Line bottom and two long sides with parchment, leaving a slight overhang on sides; brush parchment with butter.
- In a bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices until aerated and thoroughly combined, 30 seconds. In a mixer, beat butter with brown sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and potato mash to thoroughly combine (mixture will appear grainy). Reduce speed to low and beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk and beginning and ending with flour mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pan and spread evenly to edges with an offset spatula.
- Bake until cake is set and springs back when lightly pressed in center, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Flip out onto a wire rack, remove parchment, and let cool completely.
- For the Frosting: In a small saucepan, bring granulated sugar, 1/4 cup water, and corn syrup to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Cook, undisturbed, until syrup registers 248°F on a candy thermometer. Meanwhile, in a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium-low speed until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar, increase speed to medium, and beat until soft peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and pour hot syrup down the side of the bowl in a slow, steady stream. Increase speed to high; beat until mixture cools slightly and reaches stiff, glossy peaks, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large, plain round tip (or transfer to a resealable freezer bag and snip off one corner). Starting at one corner of cake, pipe frosting lengthwise to form side-by-side rows. Wave a kitchen torch over frosting to brown in places (or place frosted cake under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes).
More about "frosted sweet potato cake recipes"
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING (A YUMMY BABY ...
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING RECIPE ...
EASY SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH PECAN FROSTING - LENOX BAKERY
SWEET POTATO CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING (VEGAN ...
PURPLE SWEET POTATO FROSTING (NO FOOD DYE!) - DETOXINISTA
SWEET POTATO CAKE & COCONUT FILLING & CARAMEL FROSTING RECIPE
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH CINNAMON HONEY BUTTERCREAM FROSTING ...
SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPE - SHE WEARS MANY HATS
THE PERFECT SWEET POTATO CAKE | CAKE BY COURTNEY
SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPE | DESSARTS
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING | WILTON
CHOCOLATE SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH BOURBON SALTED CARAMEL FROSTING
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH SALTED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING RECIPE ...
MAMA'S SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING - THE ...
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FLUFF ICING RECIPE ...
SPICED SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING …
SWEET POTATO LAYER CAKE | MY CAKE SCHOOL
SWEET POTATO LAYER CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING - A ...
SWEET POTATO CAKE - THE ITSY-BITSY KITCHEN
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH BROWN BUTTER FROSTING • ELECTRIC ...
EASY SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING RECIPE ...
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING – SMITTEN KITCHEN
SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
SWEET POTATO CAKE - TASTE OF THE SOUTH
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING | THE RECIPE ...
15 SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPES YOU CAN MAKE TODAY - WHAT ...
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE ICING - FARM FLAVOR RECIPE
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH TOASTED MARSHMALLOW FROSTING RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE SWEET POTATO FROSTING | KITCHN
FROSTED SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPE
SWEET POTATO SHEET CAKE W/ CREAM CHEESE FROSTING | FLOUR ...
SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPE - DIVAS CAN COOK
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING ...
FROSTED SWEET POTATO CAKE RECIPE RECIPE
EASY LAYERED SWEET POTATO CAKE - THE COUNTRY COOK
SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH MARSHMALLOW FROSTING - LIV FOR CAKE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to bake a sweet potato cake?Sweet Potato Cake: Preheat oven to 350F and grease & flour two 8" cake pans. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, melted butter, oil, sweet potato, and eggs. Add dry to wet and mix until just combined.
How much sugar do you put in a sweet potato frosting?If you prefer a less-sweet frosting, use 6 cups powdered sugar. Cook sweet potatoes in a medium pot of boiling water, stirring occasionally, until a tester inserted into centers meets no resistance, 40–45 minutes. Drain and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove skins, transfer flesh to a medium bowl, and mash with a potato masher or fork.
When to eat sweet potato cake with cream cheese frosting?This sweet potato cake with cream cheese frosting is perfect for holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter celebrations, dinner parties or gatherings with friends and family etc or you can enjoy this as a dessert after dinner on any day as you like!
How to make mashed sweet potatoes in the oven?Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. In a bowl, beat well the eggs. Add the mashed sweet potatoes, mix well. Add the brown sugar and mix the ingredients well. Add the oil, mix again. Add the milk, vanilla essence and cinnamon powder to the bowl and mix everything well.