Sea scallops and bay scallops differ in size and sweetness. They also cook a little differently. I love a good hard sear on a sea scallop, a little crust, and a splash of wine in the butter at the end to provide a silky acidity against the sweet of the meat. For the tiny, sweet bay scallop, though, I prefer a gentle butter bath. Whichever you cook, be very careful not to overcook. Indeed, there is almost no such thing as an undercooked scallop.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories seafood, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Place a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat, and add to it 3 tablespoons of the butter. When it has melted and started to foam, place the scallops in the pan in a single layer, and season with a pinch or two of salt.
- Cook scallops without moving until the bottoms are golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes, then turn them over, add the wine and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 158, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 4 grams, Fat 9 grams, Protein 14 grams, SaturatedFat 6 grams, Sodium 446 milligrams, Sugar 0 grams, TransFat 0 grams
LEMON BUTTERED SEARED SCALLOPS
- Place the scallops on a paper towel-lined sheet tray and pat dry. Sprinkle the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large nonstick saute pan on medium-high heat, then add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the scallops and sear on one side until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Gently turn the scallops over and add the Lemon Butter, basting the scallops by gently spooning the melting butter over the top, for about 1 minute.
- Add the wine and lemon juice and allow the scallops to simmer until they are cooked through, another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the scallops to a platter and sprinkle with the chives.
- Combine the butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl and stir until smooth. Spoon the butter onto the lower third of a piece of plastic wrap. Fold the plastic wrap over the butter and use a spatula to compress the butter into a log about 5 inches long and 2 inches wide. Twist both ends of the plastic wrap to seal the butter inside. Refrigerate the butter until firm, at least 30 minutes, before using.
SAUTéED SCALLOPS WITH MUSHROOMS & SPINACH SAUCE
- Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan. Once sizzling, add the mushrooms and fry for just a min or two before adding the spinach. Cook on a high heat for about 1 min, allowing the leaves to wilt and soften. Drain the leaves and mushrooms in a sieve or small colander set over a bowl, pressing them gently in the sieve to release the juices (the juices will provide the base for the sauce, so don't discard them). Keep warm to one side.
- Heat the oil in a separate clean frying pan. When very hot, add the scallops. Sauté for a couple of mins without disturbing them at all, then add a knob of butter to the pan. Turn the scallops, season with salt and pepper, then baste with the sizzling butter. Continue to cook for a further couple of mins until the scallops are ready.
- While sautéing the scallops, return the saved spinach juices to the pan the spinach and mushrooms were cooked in, then whisk in the remaining knob of butter to create the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and a grating of nutmeg.
- Now finish in style: Arrange spinach and mushrooms on plates or in bowls, sit the scallops on top, then spoon the nutmeg spinach sauce around.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 264 calories, Fat 18 grams fat, SaturatedFat 9 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 2 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 1 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 25 grams protein, Sodium 1.59 milligram of sodium
TARRAGON LOVER'S SCALLOPS
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Place half of the scallops in the skillet without crowding; cook until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove scallops to a plate. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter in the skillet, and cook remaining scallops. Remove to plate.
- Wipe out skillet, and return skillet to medium heat. Pour in wine, and boil 1 or 2 minutes, until reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Reduce heat to low, and whisk in the remaining 4 tablespoons butter; just softening butter to form a smooth sauce. Stir in salt, lemon zest, and tarragon. Pour sauce over scallops.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 364.9 calories, Carbohydrate 5.4 g, Cholesterol 94.3 mg, Fat 22.5 g, Fiber 0.2 g, Protein 28.9 g, SaturatedFat 10.2 g, Sodium 959.8 mg, Sugar 0.4 g
EASY GARLIC-LEMON SCALLOPS
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic, and cook for a few seconds until fragrant. Add scallops, and cook for several minutes on one side, then turn over, and continue cooking until firm and opaque.
- Remove scallops to a platter, then whisk salt, pepper, and lemon juice into butter. Pour sauce over scallops to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 408 calories, Carbohydrate 8.9 g, Cholesterol 152.4 mg, Fat 24.4 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Protein 38.5 g, SaturatedFat 14.6 g, Sodium 987.9 mg, Sugar 0.2 g
SAUTEED SCALLOPS WITH MUSTARD
Quick, easy and tasty. Can be used as an appetizer for 6 to 12 or a starter course for 6 or a meal for 2. Recipe says 4. Try this with a good spicy gewurztiaminer (what a mouthful just to say it) wine. Excellent.
Provided by Tebo3759
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Cook scallops 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove and keep warm.
- Saute spinach 1 minute and season to taste.
- Add cream, mustard and curry.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- Add scallops to warm.
- Serve in a soup bowl.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 190, Fat 15.7, SaturatedFat 6.2, Cholesterol 45.7, Sodium 156.9, Carbohydrate 3.7, Fiber 1.1, Sugar 0.3, Protein 9.4
SAUTEED SCALLOPS WITH WITH LEMON-MUSTARD SAUCE
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper; dust with flour. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add scallops; sauté until brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove skillet from heat. Using tongs, transfer scallops to platter. Add butter, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water and mustard to skillet and scrape up browned bits. Place skillet over medium-low heat. Whisk until sauce simmers and thickens, about 2 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper; spoon over scallops.
THE REALTOR'S SAUTEED SCALLOPS WITH LEMON-MUSTARD SAUCE
I serve these delicious little gems on top of big crusty slices of garlic bread... YUM! It's supposed to serve 4 as a main dish but my DH and I finish this off ourselves. As an appetizer, it will serve 8. If you like my idea for serving, be sure to pick up a big loaf of Italian bread to make the garlic bread (it's not in the ingredient list). I found this in a magazine some time ago.
Provided by Realtor by day
Categories Very Low Carbs
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper, dust with flower.
- Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add scallops, saute until browned and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove skillet from heat. Using tongs, transfer scallops to a platter.
- Add butter, lemon juice, water, and mustard to skillet and scrape up browned bits from bottom of pan. Place skillet over medium-low heat and whisk until sauce simmers and thickens, about 2 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- To serve place scallops on top of garlic bread slices and drizzle the sauce over top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 161.7, Fat 9.8, SaturatedFat 4.3, Cholesterol 42.5, Sodium 510.9, Carbohydrate 4.2, Fiber 0.1, Sugar 0.2, Protein 13.8
SAUTEED SEA SCALLOPS WITH MUSTARD SAUCE
- Remove tough muscle from side of each scallop if necessary. Pat scallops dry and season with salt and pepper. In a 10-to 12-inch non-stick skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and sauté scallops 1 to 2 minutes on each side (depending on size), or until golden and just cooked through. Transfer scallops with tongs to a plate and keep warm, covered loosely.
- In oil remaining in skillet cook shallot over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add wine and boil, scraping up brown bits, 1 minute. Stir in water and mustard and simmer until reduced to about 1/4 cup. Add butter and swirl skillet, returning skillet to heat as necessary, until butter is just incorporated into sauce. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce onto a small platter or 2 plates. Top sauce with scallops and sprinkle with scallion. Serve scallops with caraway rice cakes.
Two thumbs-ups for scallops-an amazing dinner option and an excellent source of vitamin B-12 and heart-healthy minerals such as magnesium. -April Korando, Ava, Illinois
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a small bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Pour 1/3 cup marinade into a bowl or dish. Add the scallops; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes., Place remaining marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened., Drain and discard marinade. Thread scallops onto 4 metal or soaked wooden skewers. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-4 minutes on each side or until scallops are firm and opaque, basting occasionally with remaining marinade.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 250 calories, Fat 8g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 54mg cholesterol, Sodium 567mg sodium, Carbohydrate 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
More about "sauteed scallops with with lemon mustard sauce recipes"
PAN-SEARED SCALLOPS WITH LEMON GARLIC SAUCE - JESSICA GAVIN
4.2/5 (139)Category EntreeCuisine AmericanTotal Time 40 mins
- Combine salt and hot water in a medium bowl, stir until the salt is mostly dissolved. Add ice cubes, once the water is cold add scallops. Brine scallops for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large 12-inch pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, add scallops to the pan in a single layer. Gently press on them with a spatula so they make direct contact with the pan. Pan sear until golden brown on the surface, not moving them, about 3 minutes.
SEARED SCALLOPS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4.4/5 (32)Estimated Reading Time 4 minsServings 4
- Cut 2 lemons in half and squeeze juice into a measuring glass or small bowl; you should have ¼ cup juice. Set aside. Using a paring knife, cut ends off remaining lemon to expose flesh. Upend lemon on a cut end and remove peel and white pith from lemons; discard. Cut between membranes to release segments into bowl with juice; squeeze membranes to get any last drops of juice. Fish out any seeds; set aside. Thinly slice chives and place in a small bowl; set aside.
- Pull side muscle off scallops, if needed; pat dry. Season lightly on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet, preferably stainless steel, over medium-high. Pour in oil to lightly coat surface (2–3 Tbsp.); heat until it shimmers and you see first wisps of smoke. Swiftly place scallops into skillet, flat side down, and cook without touching, tossing, or fussing until underside is deep golden brown, 3–4 minutes. Use a thin spatula or tongs to gently turn over; if they resist, cook another 30 seconds and try again. Cook on second side until flesh at top and bottom looks opaque but there is still a faintly translucent strip in the middle, 1–2 minutes, depending on size. Transfer scallops to a plate.
- Pour off any oil in skillet and set over medium heat. Add butter and cook, swirling, until butter foams, then browns, about 2 minutes. Add reserved lemon juice and segments; energetically stir and swirl pan to emulsify sauce. Mix in capers and reserved chives and spoon pan sauce around and over scallops.
PAN SEARED SCALLOPS WITH LEMON CAPER SAUCE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
4.9/5 (46)Total Time 28 minsCategory Appetizer, Dinner, Main Course, Side Dish
- In a medium-sized bowl combine salt and hot water, stirring to dissolve the salt. Add ice water to cool the brine. Add scallops to the brine and let stand for 10 minutes. Line a sheet pan with paper towels, set aside.
- Drain the scallops, rinse under cold water, and then arrange in a single layer on the paper towel-lined sheet pan. Place another paper towel on top of the scallops and gently pat scallops. Remove as much surface moisture as possible for the best browning results when cooked.
- In a 12-inch saute pan or cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until oil ripples and just begins to smoke.
LEMON BUTTER SCALLOPS - DAMN DELICIOUS
4.9/5 (93)Servings 4 See details »
PAN SEARED SCALLOPS WITH LEMON CAPER SAUCE - AMAZING ...
See details »
PAN SEARED SCALLOPS WITH MUSTARD-CAPER SAUCE RECIPE ...
Servings 2Calories 441 per servingTotal Time 25 mins
- In a medium, nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Place the scallops, flat side down, in the pan; cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until they are gold brown. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate.
- In a sauce pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and garlic over medium heat; cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the wine, capers, mustard, and lemon juice to pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 6-7 minutes or until the wine has reduced slightly. Stir in the lemon zest, butter, and parsley. Once the butter has melted remove from the heat. Immediately add the scallops to pan; toss gently in the sauce and serve.
LEMON BUTTER SAUTEED SCALLOPS (DONE IN 10 MINUTES!) - RASA ...
4.6/5 (9)Category American RecipesCuisine ScallopsTotal Time 10 mins
- Heat up a skillet with the melted butter. Saute the garlic by stirring with spatula a few times. Add the bay scallops, stir and saute. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- As soon as the surface of the scallops turn opaque and water starts to seep out from the scallops, turn off the heat. Dish out and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
SCALLOP RECIPE | SAUTEED SCALLOPS IN WHITE WINE SAUCE ...
Cuisine SeafoodEstimated Reading Time 8 minsServings 2Total Time 15 mins
- Prepare scallops by removing the tough little muscle that is attached to the side of the scallop. (It looks kind of like the gristle on a piece of chicken, and is the muscle that attaches the scallop to its shell) I have found that this muscle is sometimes removed before sale, and sometimes not.
- Gently rinse the scallops under cold water and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. (Test the pan’s heat by adding a few drops of water. If the water evaporates on contact, the pan is hot enough.)
SAUTEED BAY SCALLOPS WITH LEMON BUTTER RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
- Choose a saute/fry pan large sufficient to hold all of the scallops in one layer without overcrowding the pan or possibly without them touching each other. Cook in batches if necessary. Heat the oil and 1 Tbsp. of the butter till nearly smoking. Add in the scallops and don't move or possibly shake pan, but allow the scallops to brown well on one side before tossing the pan to flip them or possibly gently turning them with a spatula to cook the second side.
- Remove the scallops from the pan and place on a hot serving platter. Return the pan in that the scallops had been cooked to the fire, add in the remaining 2 Tbsp. of sweet butter, and cook till the butter begins to turn a light-brown color. When the butter has browned to a hazelnut color add in the lemon juice and minced parsley.
- Pour the classic lemon butter over the scallops, garnish with heart-shaped croutons and serve promptly.
SAUTEED SCALLOPS WITH PARSLEY AND GARLIC RECIPE | MYRECIPES
4/5 (7)Servings 4
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 8 scallops; sauté 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Set aside, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 8 scallops. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
- Add butter to pan; reduce heat, and cook until butter melts. Stir in parsley and garlic, and cook 15 seconds. Return scallops to pan; toss to coat.
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH LEMON BUTTER SAUCE - COMPLETELY DELICIOUS
Cuisine FrenchCategory Main CourseServings 2Total Time 10 mins
- Flip scallops over and cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes. While scallops are cooking, spoon the butter over the tops to infuse more flavor.
BACON SCALLOPS WITH LEMON BUTTER SAUCE - JULIA'S ALBUM
5/5 (37)Category Main CourseCuisine AmericanTotal Time 30 mins
- Heat the large skillet until very hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and immediately add scallops. Sear on high heat, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet.
- Add 3 tablespoons lemon juice (and maybe 2 more tablespoons white wine). Scrape the bottom of the pan.
PAN SEARED SCALLOPS RECIPE IN WINE SAUCE - SHE LOVES BISCOTTI
5/5 (2)Category Appetizer or Main MealCuisine AmericanTotal Time 15 mins
- Sprinkle with cajun and paprika, use about half of the ⅛ teaspoon for each spice. We will use the other ⅛ teaspoon after they are flipped.
SEARED SCALLOPS IN A CAJUN MUSTARD CREAM SAUCE - CLOSET ...
Reviews 20Estimated Reading Time 5 minsServings 4Total Time 15 mins See details »
PAN SEARED SCALLOPS WITH LEMON CAPER SAUCE - CHICKEN RECIPES
See details »
SAUTEED SCALLOPS WITH WITH LEMON MUSTARD SAUCE RECIPE
See details »
SAUTéED MAINE SCALLOPS WITH LEMON-MUSTARD SAUCE - DOWNEAST ...
See details »
You'll also love