ROASTED GARLIC AND SHALLOT SOUP
Recipe From cooking.nytimes.com
Provided by Florence Fabricant
Categories soups and stews, appetizer
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine unpeeled garlic heads and unpeeled shallots in large bowl, pour the olive oil over them and toss to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper and place them in a single layer in a baking dish along with any oil remaining in bowl. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes. If shallots are soft by then, remove them. Bake them a little longer if necessary. Continue baking the garlic another 30 minutes or so until it is soft. Allow garlic and shallots to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy three- to four-quart saucepan. Add onions and cook gently for 15 minutes. Do not allow to brown. Add peeled, unroasted shallots and peeled garlic cloves. Cook over low heat 10 minutes longer. Add potatoes, about 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste, the chicken stock, cream and thyme. Cover and cook about 40 minutes, until potatoes are very soft.
- Peel roasted shallots. Cut roasted garlic heads in half horizontally and squeeze in a potato ricer or by hand to extract the soft pulp. Add garlic pulp and shallots to saucepan and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper and, if desired, adjust the consistency of the soup with some additional stock, cream or milk or water. Reheat before serving.
FRENCH SHALLOT SOUP
Shallots are a great choice to use for this soup because of their sweet flavor that pairs so wonderfully with all of the other ingredients. They are also less 'tearful' than stronger yellow and Spanish onions - although this recipe is great with any member of the family. The most critical part is in how to braise the onions of choice.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by patriciamercer84
Yield 4 small bowls, 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Slice the shallots in 1/4 inch slices, down to the root end. Toss the sliced shallots (onions) in a light coating of olive oil, a few grinds of black pepper and a good sprinkle of kosher salt. Put in a non-stick roasting pan or oven proof skillet and set in a 350 degree oven. Now all you have to do is leave the onions for about 45 minutes. Don't touch, don't move, don't shake - just leave them. This is what gives them caramalization - which gives them the depth of flavor that is needed for a great onion soup. It's also what makes it a soup to make for quiet days - there's not much to do! After the first 45 minutes, check the shallots, tossing to assess the browning. If there is just slight browning, return to the oven, checking every 10 minutes, until there is a lot of deep brown color, but not dried out or burnt.
- Bring the beef stock, water, brandy, thyme and bay leaf to a simmer. Add the braised shallots, and simmer for 45 minutes then taste for salt and pepper. If using fresh thyme, remove the stems. Preheat your broiler to high.
- As the broiler is heating up, time to prepare the cheese and bread - the two other components to this triumverate of a soup. Use the best Emmenthaler you can afford - this is a cave-aged Swiss Emmenthaler from a wonderful local cheese purveyor, Joppa Fine Foods. Because their artisinal cheeses vary by season I have used many different Emmenthalers for this soup, but always it is flavorful! My favorite way to use the cheese is to shred some to put directly on the soup, as well as full slices to place directly on the croutons.
- Put some nice thick slices of baguette under the broiler as it is heating up, just to toast lightly on both sides. Ladle soup into some bowls or crocks, add the toasted baguette slices and cover with the shredded/sliced Emmenthaler. Place under the broiler until bubbly and lightly browned - just a few minutes.
Make and share this Shallot Soup recipe from Food.com.
Recipe From food.com
Provided by English_Rose
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the shallots and cook slowly for 10-15 minutes until lightly caramelized. Add the garlic and thyme, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and potato, season well. Bring to the boil and simmer gently until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the cream and pour into a food processor. Process until smooth. Serve with chopped parsley.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add shallots and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and saute, stirring occasionally, until tender and caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes. Add wine, and cook until it evaporates. Add bay leaf and broths, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until soup is reduced by one-third, 25 to 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add chestnuts, and saute until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; let cool. Add cheese and parsley, and toss with a fork.
- Ladle soup into 6 bowls; top each with chestnut mixture.
POTATO SOUP WITH CARAMELIZED SHALLOTS
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub garlic heads with 1 tablespoon oil. Place in small baking dish; cover with foil. Bake until garlic is tender, about 1 hour. Cut tops off garlic; squeeze out roasted garlic and reserve.
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Add leeks, onions and celery; sauté until tender but not brown, about 20 minutes. Add coriander; stir 2 minutes. Add potatoes; stir 2 minutes. Add roasted garlic and 8 cups stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill, then cover.)
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté until deep golden, about 15 minutes.
- Bring soup to simmer in heavy large pot. Thin with more stock, if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Top with caramelized shallots.
Shallots have a milder, sweeter flavour than onions. Use them in everything from pies and tarts to pickles, sauces and sides.
Recipe From bbcgoodfood.com
Number Of Ingredients 1
People also searched
More recipes about "shallot recipes soup"
ROASTED GARLIC SOUP WITH POTATOES, SHALLOTS, AND FRESH HERBS
2019-09-24 · Add cloves to pot, along with the sliced shallots, a generous pinch sea salt, chili flakes, and several twists black pepper. Sauté 2 - 3 minutes, then turn heat to low and cover; cook, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Remove cover, up heat to medium, and sauté until shallot …
- Trim root end off one head of garlic. Set cloves, trimmed side down, in a small, oven-proof ramekin. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch sea salt. Cover with foil, set on a rimmed baking sheet, and slide into oven. Roast garlic about 15 minutes, or until garlic is soft, but not at all brown. Once garlic is done, carefully remove foil and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, slide cloves out of their skins and reserve. Reseve garlic-infused olive oil.
- Trim, smash, and peel remaining head of garlic. In a heavy bottomed 2- or 3-quart pot, 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add cloves to pot, along with the sliced shallots, a generous pinch sea salt, chili flakes, and several twists black pepper. Sauté 2 - 3 minutes, then turn heat to low and cover; cook, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Remove cover, up heat to medium, and sauté until shallot and garlic brown just a bit on the edges. Add white wine, scrape up any brown bits, then pour in 3 cups stock and add potatoes, reserved roasted garlic and olive oil, and tied herbs (or bouquet garni), along with a 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
EASY SHALLOT SOUP RECIPE | WINE ENTHUSIAST
2019-10-30 · Soak shallots in ice water to temper, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. In deep-sided pot, slowly bring vegetable stock to boil over high heat. Add milk, …
- In deep-sided pot, slowly bring vegetable stock to boil over high heat. Add milk, shallots, rice and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Return to boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Stirring frequently so skin doesn’t form, simmer until rice is cooked and shallots are soft, about 20 minutes. Stir in melted butter until well incorporated.
CREAM OF SHALLOT SOUP | RICARDO
2014-04-17 · In a pot over medium heat, soften the shallots in the butter. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the shallots are tender. In a blender, purée the soup …
HERBY FRENCH SHALLOT SOUP. - HALF BAKED HARVEST
2018-10-22 · Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, onions, garlic and honey. Cook about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened, deep golden in color and caramelized. Add the thyme and sage and continue cooking …
FRENCH SHALLOT SOUP RECIPE - RELISH! BLOG - MOTHER EARTH NEWS
Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a deep pan, stockpot or Dutch oven. Add the caramelized shallots and stir to warm through. Add the stock and wine. Simmer for at least 20 minutes and up to...
See details ››
COOKING WITH SHALLOTS: 3 SIMPLE SHALLOT RECIPES - REAL ...
Shallots’ mild flavor echoes that of both garlic and onions. The authors of The Silver Palate Cookbook, a beloved cookbook from an influential 1980s gourmet food shop, refer to these “lusty ...
See details ››
MUSHROOM SHALLOT SOUP - THE BROOKLYN COOK
2015-04-23 · Filed Under: Main Dish, Vegetable Tagged With: dinner, Mains, mushroom, mushroom shallot soup, recipe, roasted root vegetable, shallot, side, Sides, soup, vegetable, vegetarian, veggie « Foodie Fail: The Mandolin Incident. Roasted Garlic Chicken » Comments. Sara @ Life's Little Sweets says. December 13, 2015 at 12:41 am. This looks totally amazing, pinning to my soup …
- We're going to begin the soup making process by making the base, the velouté. Pour the stock into a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a simmer. In a separate pan combine the flour and butter to make the roux. Cook until it's golden-brown in color, about 4-5 minutes. Make sure to whisk continuously while cooking the roux. After the roux has cooled a bit, whisk into the stock and stir until it is fully incorporated. Let simmer and sit for 30 minutes.
CARROT SOUP WITH CRISPY SHALLOTS - RACHEL COOKS®
2011-08-15 · In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions become translucent and carrots begin …
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions become translucent and carrots begin to brown slightly.
- Add broth and water, bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer until carrots are fork tender, or at least an hour.
- Stir in brown sugar, ginger, cream, salt, and potato granules. Using an immersion blender, purée until smooth. You can use a regular blender too, but be careful, and do it in batches.
- For crispy shallots: In a small frying pan, heat ~1/4 to 1/2 cup (enough to cover shallots) canola or vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Very thinly slice shallots and add to hot oil. Fry until browned and crispy (mine got a little extra brown). Remove to paper-towel covered plate to drain and cool.
ROASTED GARLIC, SHALLOT & POTATO SOUP | HEALTHY RECIPE | WW UK
Put the chopped shallots into a large saucepan with three sprays of low fat cooking spray. Cook gently, without browning, for 3-4 minutes. Add the potatoes and vegetable stock. Squeeze the pulp from the …
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Place the garlic cloves on a large square of foil. Add 2 tsp of water and some salt and pepper. Bring the foil together to make a little parcel, then roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, reserve 2 shallots and chop the rest. Put the chopped shallots into a large saucepan with three sprays of low fat cooking spray. Cook gently, without browning, for 3-4 minutes. Add the potatoes and vegetable stock. Squeeze the pulp from the roast garlic and add to the pan. Cook for a further 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Puree the mixture with a hand blender or in a food processor until smooth. Return to the saucepan and season to taste. Reheat.
- To garnish, slice the reserved shallots and fry them in a non-stick frying pan with a couple of sprays of low fat cooking spray, until golden brown. Arrange on top of the soup and garnish with parsley sprigs.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND SHALLOT SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
2008-11-01 · Preheat oven to 375°. Step 2 Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
- Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with chives and pepper, if desired.
SPINACH SOUP WITH SHALLOTS | SOSCUISINE
Finely chop the shallots, then add them to the saucepan and sauté 2-3 min until they become translucent. Add the flour, then cook 1 min with stirring. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil with constant whisking, then cook until it thickens, about 4 min. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the spinach to the milk mixture.
SHALLOT SOUP RECIPE | RECIPELAND
Shallot Soup recipe. Ready In: 1 hr Makes 12 servings, 68 calories per serving Ingredients: shallots, water, watercress, salt, black pepper
BEST SHALLOT RECIPES AND SHALLOT COOKING IDEAS
2011-08-24 · This is a soup for onion lovers. Caramelized onions, leeks, and shallots (or only onions if you prefer) are puréed with chicken stock and then combined with sherry, sautéed onion, and a splash of cream at the end. What makes it so delicious are the fried leeks—and the Gruyère crostini, a contemporary interpretation of the typical (and ...
RECIPE: CREAM OF SHALLOT SOUP | KITCHN
2010-03-04 · Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently until the shallots are tender, about 20 minutes. Purée in a blender until …
ROASTED SHALLOT SOUP WITH GORGONZOLA CROUTONS | EAT THIS ...
Published: Jun. 05, 2020
See details ››
EASY CHICKEN SOUP AND CRISPY FRIED SHALLOT RECIPE | RESEPI ...
Hi Guys ! Today I'm sharing one of my kids fav, and they will request for it every single day. It's super simple soup without stir fry and good to go for coo...
See details ››
ROASTED CARROT AND SHALLOT SOUP | CANADIAN LIVING
2006-01-16 · Add shallots, oil, salt and cayenne pepper; toss to coat. Scrape into large roasting pan. Roast in 450°F (230°C) oven, stirring once, until browned and tender, about 1 hour. In batches, transfer to food processor and pur?with 1 cup (250 mL) of the stock per batch.
See details ››
SHALLOT RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Beef Tenderloin With Roasted Shallots. Rating: 4.84 stars. 1002. The shallot sauce takes some time, but is well worth the trouble. This is definitely a company dish, and the recipe doubles well for a larger party. Serve with a green salad and roasted vegetables. By Christine L. Tomato-Herb Vinaigrette.
See details ››
15 SAVORY SHALLOT RECIPES THAT ARE DOWN-RIGHT DELICIOUS
See details ››