WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY
There are lots of authentic vegetarian Indian dishes, but this hearty curry is more a seat-of-the-pants improvisation, actually based on a French technique. The recipe, however, may be used as a template for any number of variations. Make it with other winter vegetables, or change the combination to match the seasonal vegetables available throughout the year. Just don't forget to remove the whole chiles before eating.
Provided by David Tanis
Categories dinner, lunch, main course
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Put oil in a wide, heavy pot over medium-high heat. When oil is wavy, add cumin seeds and coriander seeds and let sizzle for about 1 minute. Add turmeric, cayenne, ginger, garlic and chiles and stir to coat.
- Add onion and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened and lightly colored, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to coat. Add squash, parsnips and potatoes, salt lightly, then add 3 cups chickpea cooking liquid or water, or enough to just cover vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a brisk simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender but firm, about 15 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and chickpeas and stir gently to combine. Cover and continue cooking 5 to 8 minutes more, until cauliflower is tender. Taste broth and adjust seasoning, then transfer to a wide, deep serving platter or bowl. Remove chiles and garnish with cilantro sprigs. Serve with steamed basmati rice and apple raita, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 222, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 35 grams, Fat 8 grams, Fiber 7 grams, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 582 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 0 grams
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY WITH FRUITY RAITA
- Heat the oil in a large lidded pan. Tip in the onions and cook for 10 mins until soft. Stir in the pumpkin, carrots and parsnips, and cook for 5 mins until they begin to soften. Add the curry paste and cook for another 3 mins.
- In a bowl, whizz together the whole tomatoes, garlic and ginger until smooth, then pour over the vegetables, adding 200ml water. Save a handful of coriander to serve, and stir in the rest. Pop on the lid and simmer for 40 mins or until the vegetables are tender. Uncover, stir through the tomato wedges and reduce to the thicken the sauce.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice following pack instructions. Mix the yogurt, mango and chutney in a small bowl. Fork the rice into a serving dish and scatter the curry with remaining coriander and the almonds. Season, then serve alongside the rice and fruity yogurt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 467 calories, Fat 13 grams fat, SaturatedFat 2 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 73 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 31 grams sugar, Fiber 12 grams fiber, Protein 13 grams protein, Sodium 0.8 milligram of sodium
WINTER-VEGETABLE RED CURRY
- Heat a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat; swirl in oil. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in curry paste, squash, and carrots; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milks. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Add peppers and cook until just beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Season with salt. Reserve half of curry for next day; serve remainder over rice with tomatoes and basil.
CURRIED BEEF WITH WINTER VEGETABLES
The UK has a large Indian/Pakistani population, so curry is a popular meal where I live. I don't like hot curries, but mild ones are a nice change. This is a mild curried beef recipe with root vegetables. It's very filling and goes nicely with brown basmati rice. Chinese Five Spice is a mixture of aniseed, cinnamon, fennel, pepper, and cloves.
Provided by OLENAJOY
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the beef into a pan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the ginger, garlic, onions, and celery, and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in the curry powder, coriander powder, five-spice powder, and turmeric, and toss to evenly coat the onion mixture. Cook about 5 minutes more, and stir in the carrots, parsnips, potatoes, zucchini, and apples. Stir in the beef with its cooking liquid, raisins, and cashews, and toss to evenly blend the spices.
- Pour the beef and vegetable mixture into the prepared roasting pan. Drizzle 1/2 cup water over the mixture. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven until heated through, about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 343.4 calories, Carbohydrate 40.7 g, Cholesterol 15.6 mg, Fat 17.5 g, Fiber 5.1 g, Protein 10.3 g, SaturatedFat 3.9 g, Sodium 158.9 mg, Sugar 17.2 g
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots; cook and stir until tender. Season with curry powder, turmeric, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the cauliflower and potatoes to the pan, and stir to coat with spices. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 371.1 calories, Carbohydrate 46.6 g, Cholesterol 30.5 mg, Fat 19.2 g, Fiber 10.2 g, Protein 7.6 g, SaturatedFat 8.4 g, Sodium 159.3 mg, Sugar 7.4 g
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add curry powder, cumin and crushed red pepper; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add milk; bring to boil.
- Add potatoes and 1 cup tomatoes.
- Cover; simmer until potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots and cauliflower.
- Cover; simmer until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice among 4 plates.
- Top with curry.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup tomatoes and garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 436.6, Fat 2.6, SaturatedFat 0.5, Cholesterol 2.6, Sodium 147.1, Carbohydrate 90.1, Fiber 6.6, Sugar 15.1, Protein 14.3
- Remove the tops and seeds from the chiles. Soak in lukewarm water for 20 minutes. Remove veins.
- Wash, trim and slice the zucchini diagonally into pieces 1/4-inch thick. Wash and trim the eggplant; cut it into slices less than 1/2-inch thick and then cut into 1-inch cubes. Wash, trim, seed and slice peppers into 1/4-inch- thick strips. Wash and string the snow peas.
- Cut the top off the lemongrass at the point where the top leaf separates from the stalk. Trim off the root end and remove outer leaf or two. Cut in three pieces. With food processor running add the lemongrass and mince. (Don't worry if it does not break up completely. It will when all the other ingredients are added.)
- With food processor running, add shallots and mince; repeat with garlic and galangal.
- Remove the main vein from the lime leaves and process until minced.
- Process chiles until minced.
- Add turmeric with water and continue processing until blended.
- Place contents of food processor in saucepan over medium heat with coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce. Cook, stirring, for about 6 minutes.
- Saute vegetables in hot oil about 3 minutes over high heat.
- Add coconut milk mixture to vegetables, and continue cooking over medium heat until vegetables are crisp but tender. Serve over jasmine or aromatic rice.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 559, UnsaturatedFat 5 grams, Carbohydrate 61 grams, Fat 35 grams, Fiber 16 grams, Protein 12 grams, SaturatedFat 27 grams, Sodium 405 milligrams, Sugar 34 grams, TransFat 0 grams
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add curry powder, cumin and crushed red pepper; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add milk; bring to boil. Add potatoes and 1 cup tomatoes. Cover; simmer until potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. Cover; simmer until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice among 4 plates. Top with curry. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup tomatoes and garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
More about "winter vegetable curry recipes"
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY | THE RECIPE CRITIC
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 5 minsCategory Dinner, Main CourseCalories 234 per serving
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until fragrant and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste, squash, parsnips, peppers, and carrots and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste. Cook until you can start to smell all the flavors, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a boil. If you want your curry a bit spicy, add a dash of red pepper flakes. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and heat, uncovered for 30 minutes. Taste again and add more salt if desired.
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY - HEARTY VEGETARIAN WINTER CURRY
4.6/5 (7)Calories 246 per servingCategory Main Dishes
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY IN A HURRY | RACHAEL RAY IN …
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE - CHOCOLATE & ZUCCHINI
EASY CURRY ROASTED WINTER VEGETABLES - WENT HERE 8 THIS
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Servings 4Category Main Course
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY - COMMUNITY FOR SLOW COOKER RECIPES
CURRY VEGETABLES RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
VEGETARIAN WINTER RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE (THAI VEGETABLE CURRY ... - THE COOKIE …
25 BEST WINTER VEGETARIAN RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY - FOOD NETWORK
CURTIS STONE'S WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE | COLES
10 BEST LEFTOVER VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHICKEN AND WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY - BREAKING BREAD WITH ASHLEY
HOW TO MAKE WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY | TESCO REAL FOOD
CURTIS STONE'S WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY - YOUTUBE
LOW CARB WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY WITH COCONUT MILK
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY - PLAIN.RECIPES
WINTER VEGETABLE GREEN CURRY - A COZY KITCHEN
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY – RECIPES NETWORK
RECIPE: WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY | THE SEATTLE TIMES
LOW CARB BEEF CURRY STEW WITH WINTER VEGETABLES
SOUTH INDIAN-STYLE VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE - FINECOOKING
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE | CHOCOLATE & ZUCCHINI
WINTER VEGETABLE COCONUT CURRY - VEGETABLES
WINTER VEGETABLE FRUITY CURRY - KIDS FRUIT
WINTER VEGETABLE COCONUT CURRY | WILLIAMS SONOMA
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY | EOMEGA.ORG
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY - MEALPLANNERPRO.COM
VEGAN GREEN CURRY WITH WINTER VEGETABLES - CILANTRO AND CITRONELLA
WINTER VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPE | RECIPE | VEGETABLE CURRY RECIPES ...
25+ VEGETARIAN DINNER RECIPES FOR WINTER | EATINGWELL
#curries #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #low-protein #healthy #appetizers #lunch #main-dish #vegetables #asian #indian #potluck #dinner-party #holiday-event #kosher #low-fat #vegetarian #winter #stove-top #dietary #spicy #christmas #low-sodium #low-cholesterol #seasonal #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #brown-bag #healthy-2 #low-in-something #taste-mood #to-go #equipment
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook curry for a curry dinner?Heat up 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, garlic and ginger, along with 12 curry leaves. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
How to cook butternut squash and Curry?Heat up 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, garlic and ginger, along with 12 curry leaves. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Meanwhile, chop 300g of butternut squash.
How do you cook curry in a Dutch oven?Heat the butter in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the cinnamon and bay leaf, garlic-ginger paste, curry powder and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 1 minute.
How do you make a pumpkin curry for beginners?Stir in the pumpkin, carrots and parsnips, and cook for 5 mins until they begin to soften. Add the curry paste and cook for another 3 mins. In a bowl, whizz together the whole tomatoes, garlic and ginger until smooth, then pour over the vegetables, adding 200ml water.