Rum simple syrup and toasted almond cream - both quick and easy to assemble - are all you need to transform stale homemade or store-bought croissants into deliciously sweet and fragrant pastries. The amount of syrup might feel excessive, but it's needed to replace the moisture lost in the croissants as they become stale, so be generous when soaking them.
Provided by Claire Saffitz
Categories breakfast, brunch, pastries, project
Yield 8 croissants
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Make the frangipane: Place the almond flour in a medium skillet and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown and toasty smelling, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar, and beat with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon until the mixture is light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Switch to a whisk and whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Whisk in the almond extract, then add the flour, salt and toasted almond flour, and whisk until smooth and satiny. Set the mixture aside.
- Make the syrup: In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, rum and 1/3 cup/80 milliliters water in a small saucepan and heat over medium, stirring just until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Assemble: Arrange a rack in the upper third of the oven and heat to 350 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Use a pastry brush to soak the cut sides of the croissant halves liberally with the rum syrup. (Use most of it or all, if the croissants are very stale.) Spread the bottom halves with half of the frangipane, dividing evenly and spreading all the way to the edges. Place the top halves over the bottom halves, then spread the remaining frangipane over the tops of the croissants. Sprinkle the sliced almonds over top, dividing evenly.
- Place the croissants on the baking sheet, spacing evenly, and bake until the almonds are toasted and the frangipane is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Place dough on a lightly floured work surface; cover and let stand until butter is slightly softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Roll dough out to a 10-by-18-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle in half crosswise. Wrap one half with plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator. Place remaining half on a large (about 18-by-25-inches) piece of parchment paper. Roll into a 16-by-20-inch rectangle, stopping to chill dough as necessary if butter becomes too soft; transfer to a large baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Transfer baking sheet to refrigerator and chill until firm, about 30 minutes. Repeat process with remaining piece of dough.
- Transfer one piece of dough to a lightly floured work surface so that one of the longer sides is facing you. Halve dough lengthwise to make two 8-by-20-inch rectangles.
- Using a pizza cutter, trim a scant 1/8 inch from top and bottom of each rectangle of dough. Working quickly, use the pizza cutter to mark 5-inch increments along the bottom (side closest to you) edge of each dough half. Working from left to right, measure 2 1/2 inches on top of each half and make a mark using the pizza cutter. Continue along the top edges marking at 5-inch increments until you reach the end of the dough.
- Using a ruler, cut dough into triangles with a 5-inch base, Discard scraps. You should have 14 triangles. Gently stretch triangles to make them 1 1/2 times their length. Roll 1/4-inch pieces almond paste into narrow log and place one piece at the base of each triangle.
- Working with 1 triangle of dough at a time, place dough triangle on work surface so that the point is furthest from you. Starting at the base, gently roll dough away from you, stretching the point as you go, with fingers or a rolling pin; secure point underneath roll. Curve ends away from you to make a crescent shape.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper; place 4 crescents on each prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk egg with 1 teaspoon water. Brush tops of crescents with egg mixture, reserving remaining egg mixture. Place 3 narrow drinking glasses upside-down between crescents; cover well with plastic wrap, making sure plastic does not touch dough. Let stand in a warm place until doubled in size and crescents feel hollow when gently touched, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Uncover and remove glasses from baking sheets; brush croissants lightly with remaining egg mixture (reserving remaining for second piece of dough). Transfer to oven and bake until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat steps 3 through 9 with remaining piece of refrigerated dough.
ALMOND CROISSANTS RECIPE BY TASTY
Don't be fooled by these fancy almond croissants because they're a cinch to make! Upgrade store-bought croissants with the delicious almond filling and a dusting of powdered sugar. They'll make a sweet ending to your next brunch.
Provided by Betsy Carter
Categories Bakery Goods
Yield 6 croissants
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Spread the sliced almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for about 5 minutes, or until the almonds just begin to turn golden brown.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the toasted almonds, flour, brown sugar, and salt. Pulse until the almonds break down to medium crumbs.
- Add the butter to the food processor and continue processing until a smooth paste forms.
- Add the egg and 1 teaspoon almond extract and continue to process until the egg is fully incorporated.
- Transfer the almond mixture to a small bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 1 week.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine the water and granulated sugar. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining teaspoon of almond extract, then remove the pot from the heat.
- Slice each croissant in half horizontally. Set the bottom halves of each croissant on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush about 1 tablespoon of the almond simple syrup over the cut side of each croissant half.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the frangipane across the bottom half of each croissant, then cover with the top half.
- Spread another tablespoon of frangipane over the top of each croissant, then sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake the croissants for 12-15 minutes, or until the frangipane begins to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, then dust with the powdered sugar.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 373 calories, Carbohydrate 30 grams, Fat 26 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 5 grams, Sugar 26 grams
This tender almond croissant recipe is a little lighter than others I've tried. A close friend of mine serves these every Christmas and Easter.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 16 rolls.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add milk and egg yolks to yeast mixture; mix well. Stir into crumb mixture; mix well. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight. , Punch dough down. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each piece into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into eight wedges. In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Spread filling over wedges; roll up from wide end. Place with point side down 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour (dough will not double). , Beat egg white and water; brush over croissants. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 296 calories, Fat 16g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 72mg cholesterol, Sodium 278mg sodium, Carbohydrate 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 6g protein.
- Heat over to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.
- In small bowl, combine ground almonds, 1/2 C powdered sugar, 1 egg white and 1/2 t.
- almond extract.
- Separate dough into 16 triangles. Spread scant 1/2 t margarine over each triangle to within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Spread about 2 t almond mixture over margarine.
- Roll up, starting at shortest side of triangle and rolling to opposite point.
- Place rolls point side down on prepared cookie sheets; curve each into crescent shape.
- Combine remaining egg white and water, brush over rolls. Place sliced almonds on rolls.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In small bowl, blend glaze ingredients until smooth, drizzle over warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 181.2, Fat 7.7, SaturatedFat 1.1, Cholesterol 14.3, Sodium 186.8, Carbohydrate 23.8, Fiber 1.9, Sugar 9, Protein 4.8
TWICE-BAKED ALMOND CROISSANTS
- Make syrup:
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Split vanilla bean with a sharp small knife and scrape seeds into sugar mixture. Add pod and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in orange juice.
- Make almond cream:
- Pulse almonds with 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor until finely ground. Add almond paste and pulse until finely chopped.
- Beat together butter, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, almond mixture, and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk together egg, rum, and extract in a small bowl and gradually add to almond cream, beating until combined well. Chill, covered, until set, about 1 hour.
- Assemble croissants:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut croissants in half horizontally. Brush insides of croissants (both top and bottom halves) with some orange syrup. Spread 2 tablespoons almond cream on each bottom half, mounding in centers, and cover with tops. Spread 1 tablespoon almond cream on each top. Transfer croissants to a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons toasted almonds on each.
- Bake croissants in middle of oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly, then dust with confectioners sugar.
This recipe is a perfect way to use day-old or store-bought croissants.
Yield makes 1 dozen
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Pour the Simple Syrup into a wide, shallow bowl; set aside.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the croissants in half horizontally. Using a small offset spatula, spread a scant tablespoon of Almond Cream on each bottom half. Sandwich with the top halves. Spread the top of each croissant with another scant tablespoon of cream, and sprinkle with sliced almonds. (Press down lightly so that the almonds are embedded in the cream.) Dip the top of each croissant into the syrup; keep it submerged for a few seconds to coat completely.
- Transfer croissants to the prepared baking sheet, coated sides up. Bake until almonds are golden brown and croissants are crisp, about 10 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve immediately.
More about "almond croissants recipes"
ALMOND CROISSANTS RECIPE (FRENCH BAKERY STYLE)
5/5 (72)Category Easy
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water, 2 Tbsp sugar and 4 Tbsp rum. Bring to a simmer for a minute and stir until the sugar dissolves then remove from heat and let cool to room temp.
- If using whole almonds: combine 1/2 cup sugar, 2/3 cup almonds and 1/8 tsp salt in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until finely ground. Add the butter, and mix again until well blended. Add in the eggs one by one, and process on high speed until creamy and fluffy.
ALMOND CROISSANTS | FOOD & WINE
Category CroissantTotal Time 1 hr 35 mins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread 1 cup of the sliced almonds in an even layer on a small rimmed baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time. Let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Pulse cooled toasted almonds in a food processor until finely ground, about 12 pulses. Add almond paste and sugar; process until mixture resembles fine meal, about 15 seconds. Add egg, butter, brandy, vanilla, and salt; process until mixture is smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Transfer mixture to an airtight container. Cover and chill until mixture is firm, at least 30 minutes or up to 4 days. (If refrigerating more than 30 minutes, uncover and let stand at room temperature 15 to 30 minutes before using.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread 2 tablespoons almond paste mixture onto cut side of each croissant bottom. Sandwich with croissant tops. Spread 1 tablespoon almond paste mixture onto top of each assembled croissant. Sprinkle croissants evenly with remaining 1/2 cup sliced almonds (about 1 tablespoon each), pressing gently to adhere.
- Arrange croissants on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until sliced almonds on top turn light golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Let croissants cool on baking sheet 15 minutes. Garnish with powdered sugar. Almond croissants are best eaten the day they are baked.
CLASSIC FRENCH ALMOND CROISSANTS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Ratings 31Calories 247 per servingCategory Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Bread
RIDICULOUSLY EASY ALMOND CROISSANTS - THE CAFé SUCRE FARINE
ALMOND CROISSANT - SIMPLY HOME COOKED
THE BEST ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE - JESSICA GAVIN
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND CROISSANTS (THE EASY WAY) - KITCHN
SIMPLE ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE • COLOR YOUR RECIPES
EASY ALMOND CROISSANTS - ENTERTAINING WITH BETH
ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
PERFECT ALMOND CROISSANTS RECIPE | CHOCOLATE & ZUCCHINI
ALMOND CROISSANTS - TUTTI DOLCI
EASY ALMOND CROISSANTS - IT'S NOT COMPLICATED RECIPES
HOMEMADE ALMOND CROISSANTS - BAKING SENSE®
THE BEST ALMOND CROISSANTS - GOOD THINGS BAKING CO
VEGAN ALMOND CROISSANTS - CRUMBS & CARAMEL
ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE , KETO CROISSANTS THE BEST RECIPE
ALMOND CROISSANTS RECIPE - JUSTINE & FARINE
HOMEMADE ALMOND CROISSANTS - PETIT DEMI
ALMOND CROISSANTS RECIPE | LAURA IN THE KITCHEN - INTERNET COOKING …
PUFF PASTRY ALMOND CROISSANTS. - HOW SWEET EATS
RASPBERRY ALMOND CROISSANTS - CTV
ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE - JOYOFBAKING.COM *VIDEO RECIPE*
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE LIKE A …
ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE ALMOND CROISSANTS
STARBUCKS ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE BY TODD WILBUR
EASY ALMOND CROISSANTS - SHUGARY SWEETS
EASY ALMOND CROISSANTS (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
ALMOND CROISSANTS PASTRY RECIPES | POH'S KITCHEN RECIPES | SBS FOOD
EASY ALMOND CROISSANT - CATASTROPHIC COOK - HOMEMADE FRANGIPANE
FRANGIPANE RECIPE (FRENCH ALMOND PASTRY CREAM) | KITCHN
ALMOND CROISSANTS (SHORTCUT RECIPE) - CELEBRATING SWEETS
ALMOND CROISSANT RECIPE - LET THE BAKING BEGIN!
BEST ALMOND, CHEESE, AND PAIN AU CHOCOLAT CROISSANTS RECIPES
EASY DOUBLE-BAKED ALMOND CROISSANTS | SIFT & SIMMER
TRADITIONAL ALMOND CROISSANTS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
HOMEMADE ALMOND CROISSANTS RECIPE FROM FRENCH - CHILL THE BREAD
HOMEMADE ALMOND CROISSANTS - THE BAKER CHICK
PERFECT AND EASY ALMOND CROISSANTS RECIPE - BROWN SUGAR FOOD BLOG
You'll also love