This is the Jewish equivalent to biscotti. It was handed down through three generations. I added the mini chocolate chips. The cookies are twice baked, first in logs and then in slices. Stored in an airtight container, these will keep for about two weeks.
Provided by susan yale
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Beat together the eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract until well blended. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder; and stir into the egg mixture until well mixed. Fold in the chocolate chips and almonds. Form two logs, three inches in diameter, and place onto the baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and cut into 1 inch diagonal slices. Lay the slices on their sides on the cookie sheet and return to the oven for 10 minutes. Remove to cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 151.1 calories, Carbohydrate 17.3 g, Cholesterol 15.5 mg, Fat 8.5 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 2.6 g, SaturatedFat 1.8 g, Sodium 36.3 mg, Sugar 8.4 g
I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood where a traditional snack was Mandelbrot. I so enjoyed visiting my friends as these homey cookies came fresh out of the oven with the most fantastic aroma. Luckily for me, one of the mothers shared this recipe and I've cherished and enjoyed it ever since.
Provided by Laura Walters
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread almonds onto a baking sheet and toast in preheated oven until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool, then coarsely chop the almonds.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, lemon zest, and orange zest in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter-egg mixture and mix on low speed just until blended. Stir in chopped almonds.
- Divide dough in half. Grease hands to prevent sticking. On prepared baking sheet, shape each half into a flattened log, about 9 inches long, 2 1/2 inches wide, and 1 inch tall.
- Bake in preheated oven until light brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes. Slice logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices flat on baking sheet. Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Flip cookies and bake until other sides are lightly browned, about 10 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 291.7 calories, Carbohydrate 36 g, Cholesterol 47.6 mg, Fat 14.6 g, Fiber 2.1 g, Protein 5.7 g, SaturatedFat 5.6 g, Sodium 153.1 mg, Sugar 17.9 g
- Heat oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper .
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside. In another large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs until well blended. Increase the speed to high and beat in the sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until mixture is thick and foamy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add oil and extract(s) to the eggs and beat briefly to blend. Replace whisk with the paddle attachment and, on lowest speed, beat in flour mixture and almonds just until mixture holds together. It will be soft, but shouldn't be too sticky. If necessary, add a few more tablespoons of flour.
- Divide dough in half. Dampen hands lightly and form each half into a 3-inch x 2-inch log on the prepared baking sheet, spacing 4 inches apart. Bake about 45 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool at least 10 minutes.
- Carefully place logs on a cutting board and cut diagonally with a serrated knife or a ham slicer into 1/2- to 3/4-inch slices.
- Place pieces cut-side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 5 minutes. Turn pieces over and bake 5 minutes longer or until completely dry. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container for up to three months or freeze.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 208 kcal, Carbohydrate 24 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Fiber 1 g, Protein 4 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 175 mg, Sugar 9 g, Fat 11 g, ServingSize 30 mandelbrots (serves up to 30), UnsaturatedFat 0 g
TRADITIONAL JEWISH MANDELBROT (MANDEL BREAD) RECIPE
- Set rack in middle level of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir well to mix.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs by hand until well mixed. Add sugar and whisk until smooth. Whisk in extract and oil.
- Fold flour mixture into egg mixture until all flour is absorbed. Fold in nuts, raisins, and chocolate chips.
- On a lightly floured surface, press dough together. Divide dough in half and roll each half into a log the length of your pan (14 to 18 inches). Place each log on pan and flatten slightly. Bake until well-risen and firm, about 25-30 minutes. Cool the logs on the pans and racks.
- Reset racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Using sharp serrated knife, slice baked logs diagonally about every 1/2 inch. Place cinnamon-sugar mixture in a shallow dish and turn the cut cookies in it. Return biscotti to the pans, cut side down, and bake until dry and crisp, up to 20 minutes longer.
- Store cooled cookies between sheets of parchment or wax paper in tin or plastic container with tight-fitting container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 68 kcal, Carbohydrate 11 g, Cholesterol 8 mg, Fiber 0 g, Protein 1 g, SaturatedFat 0 g, Sodium 25 mg, Sugar 6 g, Fat 3 g, ServingSize Makes about 48 biscotti, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In an electric mixer beat eggs well and then add and beat well the oil, sugar and vanilla. Sift together salt, flour and baking powder, add to egg mixture and beat until just incorporated. Add nuts and any other additions at this time, fold in but don?t over-mix. The dough will be sticky, refrigerate for a few hours or longer, if needed. Coat hands with flour and then divide dough into thirds and shape each into long rolls 3 inches wide on a cookie sheet. They can be left straight or shaped into half moons. Bake for 30 minutes or until a little golden.
- Remove from the oven, slice into 1/2-inch slices with a serrated knife and return to cookie sheet. Either lay them flat on the cookie sheet or stand them on their ends. They may be sprinkled with cinnamon sugar at this point. Return to the oven and turn off the heat. Leave them in oven until oven cools or overnight. The longer one leaves them in the oven the harder they will become.
JEWISH CHOCOLATE CHIP MANDEL BREAD
This traditional Jewish mandel bread recipe has been passed down in my family for four generations. It tastes wonderful with a cup of coffee, hot cocoa or milk. -Monica Schnapp, Irvine, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat oil and 1/2 cup sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into oil mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. , Shape dough into a 12x3-in. rectangle on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool on pan on a wire rack until firm, 10-12 minutes. , Transfer baked rectangle to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise into 1-in. slices. Place on baking sheet, cut side down. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, Bake until golden brown, 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Store between pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 84 calories, Fat 3g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 31mg cholesterol, Sodium 33mg sodium, Carbohydrate 14g carbohydrate (13g sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 1g protein.
This is like a German-style version of biscotti! you can omit the lemon zest and add in 1 teaspoon cinnamon if desired and add in some mini chocolate chips.
Provided by Kittencalrecipezazz
Yield 30 cookies
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer at high speed beat eggs and sugar for about 4 minutes or until thick and foamy.
- Add in oil and vanilla; beat until well blended.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest; add into the egg mixture, beating on low speed until combined.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet and shape into two 10 x 4-inch logs.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and reduce the heat to 275 degrees.
- Using a serrated knife slice the logs into about 1-inch thick slices (or a bit smaller).
- Return to oven and bake another 20-22 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- dust with powdered sugar if desired.
MANDEL BREAD (TRADITIONAL JEWISH HOLIDAY COOKIE)
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F.
- Beat eggs, add sugar and oil and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate dough for several hours or overnight.
- On heavily floured surface, shape into 3 narrow loaves.
- Bake on floured sheet for 20- 25 minutes.
- Slice diagonally while hot.
- Place slices on greased and floured sheet and toast for 2 minutes per side at 450°F.
More about "authentic mandelbrot recipes"
MANDEL BREAD COOKIES WITH ALMONDS - RECIPES - THE TASTE OF KOSHER
TRADITIONAL JEWISH MANDELBROT MANDEL BREAD - THERESCIPES.INFO
MANDELBROT | TRADITIONAL COOKIE FROM ISRAEL - TASTEATLAS
EATING JEWISH: MANDELBROT (MANDEL BREAD) - JEWISH WOMEN'S ARCHIVE
CHOCOLATE-DIPPED MANDELBROT | HOME AND ON THE WAY
BUBBIE RUTH'S MANDEL BREAD - JEWISH COOKIE RECIPE FOR MANDELBROT
TASTY RECIPES AUTHENTIC MANDELBROT
AUTHENTIC MANDELBROT TASTY RECIPES
AUTHENTIC MANDELBROT - BISCOTTI RECIPES
PASSOVER MANDELBROT RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
TRADITIONAL JEWISH MANDELBROT MANDEL BREAD
10 BEST MANDEL BREAD JEWISH RECIPES | YUMMLY
MANDEL BREAD RECIPE: EASY OPTIONS FOR CHOCOLATE CHIPS, RAISINS, …
GRANDMA MARGIE'S MANDEL BREAD (MANDELBROT)
AUTHENTIC MANDELBROT – DRSTARVE
OUR GIRLS MANDEL BREAD - MANDELBROT - JAMIE GELLER
HOW TO BAKE MANDELBROT, BISCOTTI’S RUSTIC COUSIN - THE TAKEOUT
TRADITIONAL MANDEL BREAD - YAY KOSHER - A TRADITIONAL JEWISH COOKIE
AUTHENTIC MANDELBROT | RECIPESTY
MANDELBROIT - JAMIE GELLER
HOW TO MAKE MANDELBROT | KITCHN
TRADITIONAL MANDEL BREAD RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
GRANDMA ANNIE'S CINNAMON MANDEL BREAD - ONCE UPON A CHEF
TRADITIONAL JEWISH MANDELBROT (MANDEL BREAD) RECIPE
MANDELBROT RECIPE | MYRECIPES
MANDELBROT | MANDEL BREAD | EGGLESS ALMOND BISCOTTI - VVK
MANDELBROT RECIPE | EATINGWELL
CHOCOLATE CHIP-WALNUT MANDELBROT | KING ARTHUR BAKING
MANDELBROT: ALMOND BREAD | MY JEWISH LEARNING
AUTHENTIC MANDELBROT | RECIPE | YUMMY FOOD, MANDELBROT RECIPE, …
BEST MANDELBROT RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
AUTHENTIC MANDELBROT RECIPE - TEXTCOOK
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What do you put on a Mandelbrot?Since mandelbrot literally means almond bread, the most traditional add-in would be chopped or slivered almonds. Other options include chopped walnuts or pecans, dried or candied fruits like raisins, white chocolate chips, or a combination of those ingredients. You can also add ¼ cup of cocoa powder to make double chocolate mandel bread.
What is Mandelbrot?During over two decades as kosher caterers in Columbus, Ohio, Paula Levine Weinstein and Julie Komerofsky Remer made a lot of mandel bread. This simple recipe, which makes a big batch of the biscotti-like cookies, was a customer favorite. Though mandelbrot literally means "almond bread," their version uses walnuts instead.
Is Mandelbrot suitable for Passover?This Jewish mandelbrot recipe isn't suitable for Passover because flour and leavening agents are used, but it's delicious any other time of the year. Mandelbrot is Yiddish for almond bread and is actually a twice-baked cookie loved by Ashkenazi (Eastern European) Jews.
How long do you cook mandel bread for?The recipe makes a rather large quantity of mandel bread, but the recipe quantities are easily divided. If it's your first time making the recipe, you may want to try a smaller batch first. Weinstein and Remer suggest baking the sliced mandel bread for 5 minutes.